inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Taylor Swift about to release her "Born This Way"?

Written By: Fearsword on 10/24/17 at 8:33 pm

I feel the release of the album "Reputation" will be the beginning of Taylor Swift's downfall. The first single "Look What You Made Me Do" is a drastic shift from what Taylor Swift done previously. While "1989" was also a significant departure from her previous pop-country albums, that didn't receive nearly as much criticism as her current songs are getting. The 3 songs released so far have been received positively by many fans and critics alike, but they have also received a lot of backlash, especially the song "Look What You Made Me Do". The songs "Gorgeous" and "Ready For It" further highlight the unusual direction Taylor is taking with this album.

Taylor Swift is certainly putting her "Reputation" on the line with this album. Adding further to the controversy, it is being released on the 10th anniversary of the death of Kanye West's mother. Taylor Swift has a very public feud with Kanye since the 2009 VMA's. While it's not clear this is coincidental or not, it certainly has angered Kanye fans(where admittedly most of the backlash of the new Taylor songs have come from).

While Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" was criticized for being "too gay" and alienating a lot of her fanbase, I believe Taylor Swift will suffer from being people being fed up with her 'stubbornness' and 'irresponsibility' as what many people have said in their reviews of her new songs. Saleswise, this will certainly be the fastest selling album of 2017(having even higher 1st week sales than Ed Sheeran's Divide). I predict around 1.5 million sales in its first week, just like Born This Way sold over a million but quickly fell down the charts. Critically, it's going to be a very polarizing album, you're either going to really like it or really hate it. Some people are going to say it's the best album of her career, but others might say it's the trashiest collection of music they've ever heard.

Eventually, people are going to grow tired of her narcissism and everyone except for her most die-hard fans are going to slowly abandon her. I feel she will be somewhat popular in 2018 with a popular world tour, though maybe not as big as her "1989" tour but by the time her next album drops in 2019 or 2020, she will be an afterthought in the pop culture landscape. That album will be a big flop.

Personally, I look forward to this album. Tay Tay has certainly the name of her album right, as she is definitely staking her "Reputation". What are your thoughts? Could this album really be the downfall of the 2010s Queen of Pop?

Subject: Re: Taylor Swift about to release her "Born This Way"?

Written By: bchris02 on 10/24/17 at 11:24 pm

I feel the release of the album "Reputation" will be the beginning of Taylor Swift's downfall. The first single "Look What You Made Me Do" is a drastic shift from what Taylor Swift done previously. While "1989" was also a significant departure from her previous pop-country albums, that didn't receive nearly as much criticism as her current songs are getting. The 3 songs released so far have been received positively by many fans and critics alike, but they have also received a lot of backlash, especially the song "Look What You Made Me Do". The songs "Gorgeous" and "Ready For It" further highlight the unusual direction Taylor is taking with this album.

Taylor Swift is certainly putting her "Reputation" on the line with this album. Adding further to the controversy, it is being released on the 10th anniversary of the death of Kanye West's mother. Taylor Swift has a very public feud with Kanye since the 2009 VMA's. While it's not clear this is coincidental or not, it certainly has angered Kanye fans(where admittedly most of the backlash of the new Taylor songs have come from).

While Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" was criticized for being "too gay" and alienating a lot of her fanbase, I believe Taylor Swift will suffer from being people being fed up with her 'stubbornness' and 'irresponsibility' as what many people have said in their reviews of her new songs. Saleswise, this will certainly be the fastest selling album of 2017(having even higher 1st week sales than Ed Sheeran's Divide). I predict around 1.5 million sales in its first week, just like Born This Way sold over a million but quickly fell down the charts. Critically, it's going to be a very polarizing album, you're either going to really like it or really hate it. Some people are going to say it's the best album of her career, but others might say it's the trashiest collection of music they've ever heard.

Eventually, people are going to grow tired of her narcissism and everyone except for her most die-hard fans are going to slowly abandon her. I feel she will be somewhat popular in 2018 with a popular world tour, though maybe not as big as her "1989" tour but by the time her next album drops in 2019 or 2020, she will be an afterthought in the pop culture landscape. That album will be a big flop.

Personally, I look forward to this album. Tay Tay has certainly the name of her album right, as she is definitely staking her "Reputation". What are your thoughts? Could this album really be the downfall of the 2010s Queen of Pop?

I like your comparison with Born This Way.  While I do like the new album much better than 1989 actually, I can see why a lot of people wouldn't and why this change may be a little too drastic for a lot of her fan base.

I think Lady Gaga could have survived Born This Way if Artpop would have been better, but it continued down the path that Born This Way started and by late 2013 it was clear that she was past her peak.  If Artpop would have returned to her electropop/club anthem roots, it likely would have propelled her back the kind of popularity she enjoyed during the Fame Monster era (or close to it if not quite that much) and the mid '10s as a whole likely would have evolved very differently than it did.  However, it ended up being even more pretentious and polarizing than Born This Way was and the songs weren't near as memorable i.e. compare "Applause" to "Poker Face."

While this could be a low for T-Swift, her future viability will greatly depend on her next album.  Superstars can have a weak album but two flops in a row makes it very difficult to come back.

Written By: Fearsword on 10/28/17 at 5:18 pm

I like your comparison with Born This Way.  While I do like the new album much better than 1989 actually, I can see why a lot of people wouldn't and why this change may be a little too drastic for a lot of her fan base.

I think Lady Gaga could have survived Born This Way if Artpop would have been better, but it continued down the path that Born This Way started and by late 2013 it was clear that she was past her peak.  If Artpop would have returned to her electropop/club anthem roots, it likely would have propelled her back the kind of popularity she enjoyed during the Fame Monster era (or close to it if not quite that much) and the mid '10s as a whole likely would have evolved very differently than it did.  However, it ended up being even more pretentious and polarizing than Born This Way was and the songs weren't near as memorable i.e. compare "Applause" to "Poker Face."

While this could be a low for T-Swift, her future viability will greatly depend on her next album.  Superstars can have a weak album but two flops in a row makes it very difficult to come back.

I agree, I feel Taylor's constant stylistic changes will become too much for Swifties to handle. Granted, she will be able to retain her most die-hard fans just like Lady GaGa still has a solid fan base but casual listeners looking in will become tired of it. I actually envision Taylor going back to her country roots on her next album.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/28/17 at 6:01 pm

I don't understand the bit in her video where she wears the naked bodysuit.

Why didn't she just do the scene naked?

Written By: Fearsword on 12/02/17 at 4:23 pm

I don't understand the bit in her video where she wears the naked bodysuit.

Why didn't she just do the scene naked?

Maybe she just wanted to strip off without people thinking she's desperate

Written By: Fearsword on 12/02/17 at 4:26 pm

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8046949/taylor-swift-reputation-billboard-200-second-week

Taylor sells 250K in her second week. That is a second week sales drop of around 80%, not that different from Lady Gaga in her second week of Born This Way. If this album isn't still fairly high on the charts by the new year, it might not be a good sign for Tay Tay.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/02/17 at 4:34 pm

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8046949/taylor-swift-reputation-billboard-200-second-week

Taylor sells 250K in her second week. That is a second week sales drop of around 80%, not that different from Lady Gaga in her second week. If this album isn't still fairly high on the charts by the new year, it might not be a good sign for Tay Tay.

The 1.2 million people who bought it the first week probably ordered it before hearing the other singles!  ;D

Written By: #Infinity on 12/02/17 at 5:07 pm

Taylor sells 250K in her second week. That is a second week sales drop of around 80%, not that different from Lady Gaga in her second week. If this album isn't still fairly high on the charts by the new year, it might not be a good sign for Tay Tay.

Yeah, when the entire album didn't hog up the UK Top 20 like Ed Sheeran's ÷ did earlier this year, I knew it had underperformed compared to her previous record.

Written By: TheDude1999 on 12/10/17 at 6:54 pm

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8062850/u2-songs-of-experience-billboard-200-chart

U2 has replaced Taylor Swift at number one on the Billboard 200 with 180,000 sales to Taylor’s 112,000.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/10/17 at 11:50 pm

Maybe she just wanted to strip off without people thinking she's desperate

It’s time for her to show us the goods.  ;D

Written By: #Infinity on 12/11/17 at 1:31 am

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8062850/u2-songs-of-experience-billboard-200-chart

U2 has replaced Taylor Swift at number one on the Billboard 200 with 180,000 sales to Taylor’s 112,000.

Due to U2's lack of general mainstream relevance, this will not last long. Every band from the past that releases a new album does not hold onto their success like Ed Sheeran and Imagine Dragons have been dominating the American charts for what feels like the entire year.

Written By: Howard on 12/11/17 at 5:25 am

It’s time for her to show us the goods.  ;D

There are already some photos of her nude, if that's what you're referring to?

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/11/17 at 5:41 am

There are already some photos of her nude, if that's what you're referring to?

Those were fakes.

Written By: TheDude1999 on 12/11/17 at 5:19 pm

Due to U2's lack of general mainstream relevance, this will not last long. Every band from the past that releases a new album does not hold onto their success like Ed Sheeran and Imagine Dragons have been dominating the American charts for what feels like the entire year.

U2 had larger first week sales than Imagine Dragons...

(Biggest first week sales for a rock album this year)

Written By: Fearsword on 02/09/18 at 5:39 am

I heard that "End Game" featuring Ed Sheeran has been released as a single and video, but it's nowhere to be seen on the charts or heard on the radio

Written By: Fearsword on 02/09/18 at 5:40 am

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/tours/why-taylor-swifts-fans-arent-buying-tickets-to-her-reputation-concerts/news-story/1ae94bbcdd724e31e4b70f1488cdbb40

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/09/18 at 5:53 am

I heard that "End Game" featuring Ed Sheeran has been released as a single and video, but it's nowhere to be seen on the charts or heard on the radio
In the UK, "End Game" by Taylor Swift Featuring Ed Sheeran And Future, only spent three weeks in the charts, reaching the highest position of 49.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/09/18 at 6:08 am

That’s because it sucks. She needs to go back to her country roots.

Written By: ofkx on 02/09/18 at 8:30 am

She's not as popular as she was before the whole Kanye crap. She was everywhere back in 2016, but I barely hear about her now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/09/18 at 8:32 am

From wiki:

"The song debuted at number 86 on the Billboard Hot 100 on the date ending December 9, 2017 due to its strong digital sales. The following week it moved up to number 83 and then in its third week it reached number 36 giving Swift her 55th top forty hit. Two weeks later it peaked at number 18 becoming the third consecutive single from "Reputation" reach the top 20. The following week the song dropped to number 30. The song has since peaked at number 10 on the Billboard Mainstream Top 40 giving Swift her 15th top ten entry on the chart. It has also peaked at number 16 on the Adult Top 40 and number 25 on the Rhythmic Songs.

In Canada the song reached number 53 but after the release of it’s official music video the song moved to number 11 on the Billboard Hot 100. The next week the song dropped to number 31. It has also peaked at number 17 on the top 40 pop song chart.

In Australia the song debuted at number 38 and has till now peaked at number 36. The next week it dropped to nine 40.

In the UK the song debuted at number 99. It peaked at number 49 before dropping to number 60 the following week.

The song has also peaked at number 84 in Philippines, number 94 in Slovakia and number 63 in Czech Republic. In New Zealand it has peaked at number 2 on the Heatseeker chart."

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/12/18 at 10:08 pm

From wiki:

"The song debuted at number 86 on the Billboard Hot 100 on the date ending December 9, 2017, due to its strong digital sales. The following week it moved up to number 83, and then in its third week, it reached number 36 giving Swift her 55th top forty hit. Two weeks later it peaked at number 18 becoming the third consecutive single from "Reputation" reach the top 20. The following week the song dropped to number 30. The song has since peaked at number 10 on the Billboard Mainstream Top 40 giving Swift her 15th top ten entry on the chart. It has also peaked at number 16 on the Adult Top 40 and number 25 on the Rhythmic Songs.

In Canada, the song reached number 53, but after the release of its official music video, the song moved to number 11 on the Billboard Hot 100. The next week the song dropped to number 31. It has also peaked at number 17 on the top 40 pop song chart.

In Australia, the song debuted at number 38 and has till now peaked at number 36. The next week it dropped to nine 40.

In the UK the song debuted at number 99. It peaked at number 49 before dropping to number 60 the following week.

The song has also peaked at number 84 in the Philippines, number 94 in Slovakia and number 63 in the Czech Republic. In New Zealand, it has peaked at number 2 on the Heatseeker chart."

I heard that "End Game" featuring Ed Sheeran came out as a single and video, but it's nowhere to be seen on the charts or heard on the radio.
Does this mean that the song and maybe the album flopped?

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/12/18 at 10:17 pm

She's not as popular as she was before the whole Kanye crap. She was everywhere back in 2016, but I barely hear about her now.

How was she everywhere in 2016 when she didn't even release anything that year...maybe your thinking of 2014/5.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/13/18 at 1:00 am

I think people are over her new image already.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/13/18 at 6:25 pm

I think people are over her new image already.

The next stage is to go full nude, like Miley did.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/13/18 at 9:04 pm

The next stage is to go full nude, like Miley did.

How much have we heard from Miley since then?  She had a small resurgence in 2017, but her peak was her Hannah Montana days and the immediate years after.

Written By: 2001 on 02/13/18 at 10:04 pm

Swish Swish Bish
Another one in the basket

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/14/18 at 2:22 am

How much have we heard from Miley since then?  She had a small resurgence in 2017, but her peak was her Hannah Montana days and the immediate years after.

We’ve heard very little. But we’ve seen a lot.  :P

Written By: Fearsword on 02/19/18 at 3:25 am

I think it's obvious now that Taylor Swift is past her peak. Her album "Repuatation" has fallen out of the top 10 just 3 months after its release. In comparison 1989 was in the top 10 for 16 months, only falling out in February 2016!! Additionally, she's been pretty much non-existent on the radio in 2018. Her latest single "End Game" featuring Ed Sheeran has barely gotten any airplay. I do have a feeling that unless she reverts back to her country roots or releases a standard pop album then the next album she releases in 2019/20(my prediction) will be a relative flop like "Artpop" was for Lady Gaga.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/19/18 at 7:34 am

Born This Way was waaay bigger than whatever Taylor just released. Taylor's Born This Way must have been her last album. This is Swift's Artpoop.

Written By: 2001 on 02/19/18 at 10:16 am

Born This Way was waaay bigger than whatever Taylor just released. Taylor's Born This Way must have been her last album. This is Swift's Artpoop.

Her last album was her most successful one though and one of the most decad-defining. This one seems more like a mid-tier hit for her. It's a disappointment but not a massive flop like Artpop. We'll see where she can make this go.

Written By: 2001 on 02/19/18 at 10:17 am

Gorgeous is a shame bop for me. I feel so basic liking this song.  :-[

Written By: bchris02 on 02/19/18 at 2:01 pm

True, but Born This Way was also the beginning of Lady Gaga's decline.  While it was a successful album, I would say given the hype it didn't live up to expectations.  Most people look back at the Fame Monster era as the album that defined her career as well as her peak.  The thing is, I think the problem with Born This Way was not so much that the album was of lower quality but how it was promoted.  The single choices were relatively poor for starters.

Check for new replies or respond here...