inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Windows 7

Written By: bchris02 on 10/25/17 at 10:26 pm

It seems like we just went through this with XP but when you think about it, Windows 7 is getting long in the tooth.  Support officially ends on January 14, 2020.  Like XP, Windows 7 was adopted heavily by both consumers and businesses.  Also like XP, it was followed by a poorly received version that people didn't adopt.  Consumers have been steadily moving on since Windows 10 came out (which is the new 7 in my opinion) but businesses more or less are still stuck on Windows 7.  We are now about to close out 2017 which means there is really only two more years left for Windows 7.

It really will be the end of an era when Windows 7 phases out.  Windows 7, at its heart, was simply a re-branded Vista, which I think really represents where computing was in the late '00s.

What are your thoughts?  Will you be sad to see Windows 7 go?

Subject: Re: Windows 7

Written By: Howard on 10/26/17 at 5:28 am

It seems like we just went through this with XP but when you think about it, Windows 7 is getting long in the tooth.  Support officially ends on January 14, 2020.  Like XP, Windows 7 was adopted heavily by both consumers and businesses.  Also like XP, it was followed by a poorly received version that people didn't adopt.  Consumers have been steadily moving on since Windows 10 came out (which is the new 7 in my opinion) but businesses more or less are still stuck on Windows 7.  We are now about to close out 2017 which means there is really only two more years left for Windows 7.

It really will be the end of an era when Windows 7 phases out.  Windows 7, at its heart, was simply a re-branded Vista, which I think really represents where computing was in the late '00s.

What are your thoughts?  Will you be sad to see Windows 7 go?

But I still have Windows 7 Mozilla Firefox.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/26/17 at 12:27 pm

My computer & laptop both have Windows 7. I REFUSE to upgrade to Windows 10. I think when I can no longer use Windows 7, I am going to go to another system entirely-which one, I have no idea. Unfortunately, that means that I need to replace all my programs so they are compatible with whatever OS I decide to go with. I think Windows 10 is a nail in the coffin of Microsoft.

My brother (the computer guru) thinks Bill Gates is the devil incarnate.

Cat

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/28/17 at 3:16 pm

I had a good time with Windows 7. I first used it back in 2009 right when it began and stuck with it until a few months ago. I have to say it was one of the best version Windows has had in its history, and it sucks it will be gone within a few years.

Written By: 2001 on 10/28/17 at 3:20 pm

I had Windows 7 from 2009 to 2012. For my 20th birthday (2013), I got a Windows 8 laptop which was actually really good.

I did not use my Windows 7 laptop very much to he honest. It was a very sh*tty netbook I got for school, so I can't say I have many positive memories with it. ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 10/28/17 at 3:57 pm

I liked Windows 7 actually but after that I'm not impressed with Microsoft at all. Windows 8 was awful and I don't really like Windows 10 either. That's why I've been all Apple for a few years now. I know there's a lot of Apple haters out there but my MacBook Pro has been the best computer I ever owned and I never had a problem with it.

Written By: Dundee on 03/12/18 at 6:03 pm

My first pc was actually a Vista laptop which only lasted for 2 years before self-imploding by the likes of bugs and lags. By that time we bought a desktop pc using 7 which we still have to this day after 10 years working still great, showing how one heck of a thing Windows 7 is ;)

I also got a laptop a few years ago when I attended uni and it runs on Windows 10 which works just as fine. 10 is in a way a perfect spiritual successor of 7, has its charm but is upgraded to nowadays' standards.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/12/18 at 6:07 pm

My Mac PowerBook 180 still runs System 7 OK.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/12/18 at 6:53 pm

I liked Windows 7. However, I have no problems with Windows 10. Windows 10 works just fine for me.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/12/18 at 8:13 pm

Windows 7 is the new XP. It's already almost 9 years old and that is ancient in the world of tech. When people were talking about how XP was a legacy and legendary operating system that is old but still being used and not dead yet, it was also 9 years old in 2010. I do believe more people used XP back then (in comparison to people using Windows 7 9 years later today) but Windows 7 is still very heavily used and definitely a classic OS. When support ends, it will be almost the same time they killed off support for XP. Who knows maybe they will extend it even further if people demand it. At any rate, Windows 7 is the new XP and it's the classic old operating system now that is being looked back on fondly and will continue to be looked on fondly in the future.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/12/18 at 8:13 pm

I liked Windows 7. However, I have no problems with Windows 10. Windows 10 works just fine for me.

Windows 10 sucks. Forced updates and built-in spyware? No thanks.

Written By: Howard on 03/13/18 at 7:30 am

Do you have the one with the apps? ???

Written By: ofkx on 03/13/18 at 9:03 am

I prefer windows 7 over 10 tbh. Windows 10 is too tablet-y if that makes sense. My family no longer has windows 7 computers and i personally have a macbook.

Written By: 2001 on 03/13/18 at 1:08 pm

I made the mistake of getting a Macbook and the practically hourly updates are driving me nuts.

I'm going to install Ubuntu on it like I did with my old Windows laptop.

Written By: Howard on 03/13/18 at 2:57 pm

I prefer windows 7 over 10 tbh. Windows 10 is too tablet-y if that makes sense. My family no longer has windows 7 computers and i personally have a macbook.

I kind of like it and they have a Windows store if you want to install free or if you want to pay for them too.

Written By: 90s Guy on 03/13/18 at 5:20 pm

I play a lot of old PC games, and Windows 10 doesn't support many of them. I'm sticking with Windows 7 until I literally cannot. I'll buy used laptops if I have to.

Another thing is, I refuse to buy a laptop without a DVD drive.

Check for new replies or respond here...