inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did the Mac fad peak? Are Macs still popular?

Written By: bchris02 on 10/25/17 at 11:10 pm

One thing that stands out about tech during the late '00s and early '10s was the resurgence of the Apple Macintosh as a popular computer to own.  In the '90s, Macs were mostly known as the strange computers in elementary school computer labs that had no practical use.  Around the time Leopard came out in 2007, the MacBook and MacBook Pro became popular.  I bought a MacBook Pro in late 2009 and used it until around 2013.  I really think Apple was at the right place at the right time.  They had built some brand loyalty off the iPod and then iPhone and given the disaster that was Windows Vista, more people were willing to give Macs a try.  Plus, they became popular props in movies of the era.

However, it seems like the Mac revival has run out of steam, especially since Windows 10 came out.  I can't think of any reason today to buy a Mac over a PC.  I debated going with a Mac back in 2015 but I decided on a PC and am glad I did.  It seems like Apple all around it losing ingenuity and is simply coating on its brand loyalty.  In my opinion, that loyalty will only take them so far.

Subject: Re: When did the Mac fad peak? Are Macs still popular?

Written By: Zelek3 on 10/25/17 at 11:18 pm

Around the late 2000s/early 2010s, Macs peaked in popularity. During the late 90s-mid 2000s, they were rising in popularity with the bubbly-looking Y2K iMacs, but still seemed to be on the cusp of mainstream and culty/underground.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/25/17 at 11:27 pm

Around the late 2000s/early 2010s, Macs peaked in popularity. During the late 90s-mid 2000s, they were rising in popularity with the bubbly-looking Y2K iMacs, but still seemed to be on the cusp of mainstream and culty/underground.

Yeah I remember the bubbly looking iMacs.  Those were popular with graphic artists mostly.  I think prior to 2007, Macs were seen in a similar way to how Linux is seen today.  It's culty and underground yet still somewhat common.

Written By: 2001 on 10/25/17 at 11:59 pm

By Macs do you mean Macbooks, or the desktop computer?

Because Macbooks are still really popular. I think it was in 2014 when I accidentally walked into the wrong lecture hall in uni, must have been some kind of liberal arts class, and there was a SEA of Macbooks. Windows laptops were in the minority.

It makes sense, I got a Macbook in 2016 (I regret it though :-[). When shopping around the high-end of the spectrum, the Macbook was actually very price-competitive compared to Windows laptops.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/26/17 at 2:37 am

It seems to me like Macintosh computers peaked right at the end of Steve Jobs' life. After that, more and more people began opting for iPads and iPhones for personal use instead of full-on laptops.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/26/17 at 5:27 am

I still have my Mac PowerBook 180.  8)

http://d2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.net/images/c/4/apple-macintosh-powerbook-180-laptop-computer-works-ac-adapter-lots-more-381f56d5544b0af6afd28fb2d8e19dab.jpg

Written By: wixness on 10/26/17 at 10:41 am

They've kind of become irrelevant, at least to me, when the Surface range pwned them and MacBooks were more about getting thin than anything, when their competitors probably have touch screens and NVIDIA graphics, and keep the function keys.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/26/17 at 1:42 pm

I've got a MacBook Pro. I really like and prefer Macs these days really. I tried a Windows 10 laptop before this and didn't like it.

Check for new replies or respond here...