inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: My predictions for the next couple of years

Written By: HeyJealousy on 10/28/17 at 3:49 pm

2018 - Trap rap remains dominant up until' Jul-Sep. After that time frame, trap will start to fade, trance will slowly replace EDM and a revival of the pop-punk movement will be underway.
The atmosphere will be mostly similar to 2017, political tension and lingering populist resentment. Major earthquakes, floods and serial killers will make the news.

2019 - The first year where any 2020s influences slowly creep in. Trap is slowly going underground, but still somewhat relevant. Trance and pop-punk are rising in popularity. An EDM-fused country song or two will make the Billboard Top 100, and a new fusion genre will eventually climb the popularity ladder (I'm thinking alternative rock, country and EDM. Grasswave).
Political tensions are still high and a prominent political figure is assassinated in the summer of 2019. Democrats are regaining the trust of disillusioned Trump voters, and a libertarian Republican candidate wins over the hearts of moderate/libertarian Democrats. 
News headlines will be: political, political, serial killer, serial killer, mass shooting, tornado and political.
Self-driving cars will begin to hit the roads en masse.

2020: The atmosphere will be akin to that experienced during Y2K. Both uncertainty and excitement. Less tense than 2016, but still tense.
Either a libertarian Republican or a populist Democrat will win the GE and replace Trump. He/she will garner a sheeshload of support from the other side of the political spectrum.
Pop-punk (with EDM influences), grasswave and
Serial killers and political assassins are the new bogeyman, replacing mass shooters and terrorists.
A major social-media platform (possibly Facebook) will shut down for good, just weeks before/after the election.

Subject: Re: My predictions for the next couple of years

Written By: questoftheninja on 10/28/17 at 9:26 pm

I predict 2018 will be most changeful. :)

Written By: Howard on 10/29/17 at 2:13 pm

2018 - Trap rap remains dominant up until' Jul-Sep. After that time frame, trap will start to fade, trance will slowly replace EDM and a revival of the pop-punk movement will be underway.
The atmosphere will be mostly similar to 2017, political tension and lingering populist resentment. Major earthquakes, floods and serial killers will make the news.

2019 - The first year where any 2020s influences slowly creep in. Trap is slowly going underground, but still somewhat relevant. Trance and pop-punk are rising in popularity. An EDM-fused country song or two will make the Billboard Top 100, and a new fusion genre will eventually climb the popularity ladder (I'm thinking alternative rock, country and EDM. Grasswave).
Political tensions are still high and a prominent political figure is assassinated in the summer of 2019. Democrats are regaining the trust of disillusioned Trump voters, and a libertarian Republican candidate wins over the hearts of moderate/libertarian Democrats. 
News headlines will be: political, political, serial killer, serial killer, mass shooting, tornado and political.

2020: The atmosphere will be akin to that experienced during Y2K. Both uncertainty and excitement. Less tense than 2016, but still tense.
Either a libertarian Republican or a populist Democrat will win the GE and replace Trump. He/she will garner a sheeshload of support from the other side of the political spectrum.
Serial killers and political assassins are the new bogeyman, replacing mass shooters and terrorists.
A major social-media platform (possibly Facebook) will shut down for good, just weeks before/after the election.

This seems to make the news once a year.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/29/17 at 3:19 pm

I hope you are right about a Trance revival.  It was quite big in electronica circles in the '00s.  It does seem to be coming back in today's EDM circles and hopefully it makes its way more into the mainstream.  I do feel like EDM in general is getting more melodic and danceable again compared to where it was in the mid '10s.

Written By: Dundee on 03/14/18 at 4:32 am

I don't see neither Trance nor Pop Punk coming back, especially the later one. It's not like Prog Rock came back in the 90s, Glam Metal in the 00s or Grunge in this one.

Written By: Milk on 03/14/18 at 9:07 am

I dont think self driving cars will be a thing for a very long time tbh

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/14/18 at 10:34 am

I dont think self-driving cars will be a thing for a very long time tbh

Yeah. I can see it slowly turning into something somewhere in Europe but the United States....this century? Forget about it.

Why is pop-punk in so many people's predictions? I see absolutely no signs of it happening. I haven't heard one pop-punk song in years.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/14/18 at 10:42 am

Why is pop-punk in so many people's predictions? I see absolutely no signs of it happening. I haven't heard one pop-punk song in years.

People want it to happen.  One of the biggest complaints a lot of people have about '10s music is the absence of guitar-based rock in Top 40.  I agree though, while there is a decent underground pop punk scene right now it's mostly just a rehash of the early 2000s.  My prediction is if there is a pop punk revival at all, it will be a nostalgia fad and won't last very long.

I think there is a good chance that rock is going the way of jazz when it comes to Top 40.  It would have happened in the '90s if grunge hadn't arrived to save the day.

As for trance, this is actually a good time for that genre.

Written By: TheKid99 on 03/14/18 at 12:49 pm

Pop punk revival I am all for and I do see many bands that are currently underground could definitely take off if it becomes popular. The scene is in a good place right now.

Their may be a backlash at the lack of guitar music in the Top 40.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/14/18 at 1:34 pm

I dont think self driving cars will be a thing for a very long time tbh

I always had a feeling self-driving cars would be very popular in the late 2020's, or at least maybe getting popular.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/14/18 at 1:40 pm

Has anyone already suggested WW3, as in the state between the relations Russia and the UK.

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/14/18 at 2:10 pm

Pop punk revival I am all for and I do see many bands that are currently underground could definitely take off if it becomes popular. The scene is in a good place right now.

Their may be a backlash at the lack of guitar music in the Top 40.

I can definitely see a rock backlash toward the top 40 but I just can't see pop-punk being the driving force. It was already a pop cultural, music genre phenomenon. Those don't happen twice.

Written By: Howard on 03/14/18 at 2:25 pm

I don't know about that but I think it might be true.

Written By: Dundee on 03/14/18 at 2:39 pm

Has anyone already suggested WW3, as in the state between the relations Russia and the UK.
WW3 has been constantly suggested since the 60s, honey.

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/14/18 at 3:28 pm

It's gonna happen one day, sweetie.

Written By: ofkx on 03/14/18 at 4:24 pm

It's gonna happen one day, sweetie.

I hope I at least finish college before that happens :-\\.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/14/18 at 4:27 pm

With the Cold War, but if you hear the current news...

Written By: bchris02 on 03/14/18 at 5:38 pm

I can definitely see a rock backlash toward the top 40 but I just can't see pop-punk being the driving force. It was already a pop cultural, music genre phenomenon. Those don't happen twice.

I agree completely.  If there is a pop-punk revival, it will be a nostalgia fad and it might last six months tops (like the new TRL revival did).  That's not to say rock will never return to the mainstream, but it won't be pop punk.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 03/14/18 at 6:49 pm

I was partially right about the “serial killer” thing. Last month, serial killer Bruce McArthur was apprehended in Toronto and is believed to be responsible for seven murders in the city’s LGBT-friendly district.
He buried his victims’ remains in potted plants.
The case was all over the news for a day or two, even here in the US (CNN and FOX actively covered this case).

Written By: 2001 on 03/14/18 at 8:21 pm

I was partially right about the “serial killer” thing. Last month, serial killer Bruce McArthur was apprehended in Toronto and is believed to be responsible for seven murders in the city’s LGBT-friendly district.
He buried his victims’ remains in potted plants.
The case was all over the news for a day or two, even here in the US (CNN and FOX actively covered this case).

They did? :o Yay we made international news!

But when I talked to my friend about this he said he hadn't heard of it LOL

I'm surprised CNN covered it, since whenever I watched the channel they never diverted from US news not even for a second, and when they did the story always related back to the US in some way. :o

Written By: HeyJealousy on 03/15/18 at 3:59 am

They did? :o Yay we made international news!

But when I talked to my friend about this he said he hadn't heard of it LOL

I'm surprised CNN covered it, since whenever I watched the channel they never diverted from US news not even for a second, and when they did the story always related back to the US in some way. :o

As far as actual television coverage goes, CNN only briefly touched on it a few times as the case developed. However, FOX News (not a fan of em, too neoconservative for my taste) gave the story more airtime. That’s the only thing I’ll give FOX credit for, is their keen interest in true-crime stories. CNN is an international source, so they’re left to reel in the big fish. Catastrophic natural disasters, riots, terrorism and mass shootings with high body count.

In the end, Parkland was the big “big story” and not just in the US, I believe. I’m a 10 minute drive away from where that mass shooting took place, and I still feel doom and gloom in the air sometimes.

Back to McArthur, the last I heard, investigators found a seventh set of human remains and released a rather disturbing photo of the unidentified remains to the press.
Now, I’m rather desensitized to death and gore, having been on my fair share of shock and gore-related forums (ala Ogrish) and I still found it interesting that such a graphic photo of a supposed murder victim was released to the press.
But, hey, whatever gets the job done.

Written By: Howard on 03/15/18 at 7:41 am

With the Cold War, but if you hear the current news...

You don't know which countries will collide.

Written By: 2001 on 03/15/18 at 7:48 am

As far as actual television coverage goes, CNN only briefly touched on it a few times as the case developed. However, FOX News (not a fan of em, too neoconservative for my taste) gave the story more airtime. That’s the only thing I’ll give FOX credit for, is their keen interest in true-crime stories. CNN is an international source, so they’re left to reel in the big fish. Catastrophic natural disasters, riots, terrorism and mass shootings with high body count.

In the end, Parkland was the big “big story” and not just in the US, I believe. I’m a 10 minute drive away from where that mass shooting took place, and I still feel doom and gloom in the air sometimes.

Back to McArthur, the last I heard, investigators found a seventh set of human remains and released a rather disturbing photo of the unidentified remains to the press.
Now, I’m rather desensitized to death and gore, having been on my fair share of shock and gore-related forums (ala Ogrish) and I still found it interesting that such a graphic photo of a supposed murder victim was released to the press.
But, hey, whatever gets the job done.

A seventh?! Goodness.  8-P

Written By: Slim95 on 03/15/18 at 11:43 pm

I don't know about world war 3 but I do believe things will get crazier and more tense for sure. The next popular genre of music for the 2020s will have something to do with electronica. Give it up guys, rock and pop punk is not coming back. I don't know why everyone keeps predicting this lol.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/16/18 at 1:48 am

You don't know which countries will collide.
It will the best the east against the west!

Written By: Dundee on 03/16/18 at 4:25 am

I don't know about world war 3 but I do believe things will get crazier and more tense for sure. The next popular genre of music for the 2020s will have something to do with electronica. Give it up guys, rock and pop punk is not coming back. I don't know why everyone keeps predicting this lol.
This

I can predict EDM completely taking over from Hip Hop as the dominant genre in the mainstream. It's pretty popular right now but it's probably just a warm-up compared to what's coming up in the next years.

Not necerssarily a bad thing. There are a lot of interesting, hard-hitting subgenres among EDM which is on a whole very diverse. I can totally see Hardcore EDM genres like Speedcore or more DIY genres gaining mainstream momentum as a reaction to the slow and light EDM that's popular right now.

Written By: ofkx on 03/16/18 at 5:33 am

For real lmao. It’s been dead for at least a decade now. IT’S NOT COMING BACK.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 03/16/18 at 11:24 pm

My prediction is Trump will be elected again in 2020.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 03/17/18 at 1:00 am

For real lmao. It’s been dead for at least a decade now. IT’S NOT COMING BACK.

It should remain underground. I’m not convinced that good old guitar-driven rock will make a significant comeback to Top 40 radio, BUT I am almost dead certain that trap rap will fade back to obscurity in the next few years.
What should follow will be, as other people are predicting, a new form of EDM/electronica that is currently in the underground. I am fine with that. Society moves forward, not backward.

Written By: 2001 on 03/17/18 at 1:11 am

A seventh?! Goodness.  8-P

I found out today that apartment Bruce McArthur lived in is the SAME as one of my friend's, whom I used to spend a lot of time with during my high school years :o Scary sh*t to think multiple murders were taking place the floor beneath me.

Written By: ofkx on 03/17/18 at 5:37 am

It should remain underground. I’m not convinced that good old guitar-driven rock will make a significant comeback to Top 40 radio, BUT I am almost dead certain that trap rap will fade back to obscurity in the next few years.
What should follow will be, as other people are predicting, a new form of EDM/electronica that is currently in the underground. I am fine with that. Society moves forward, not backward.

I agree that trap rap is likely to fade away eventually.

Written By: Howard on 03/17/18 at 2:56 pm

My prediction is Trump will be elected again in 2020.

I believe so. ::)

Written By: Howard on 03/17/18 at 2:56 pm

many more stores will file for bankruptcy.

Check for new replies or respond here...