inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is disco/funk revival the "post-grunge" of the 2010s?

Written By: bchris02 on 10/28/17 at 6:31 pm

It's a genre that most people will admit is terrible yet is a guilty pleasure for a lot of people and continues to be very resilient in Top 40, even though other genres have either come and gone or evolved substantially since 2013.  I've personally never liked this style just like I don't like the original genres from the late '70s/early '80s that it's a throwback to.  However, a lot of people really like it.  It's also a sound that is very uniquely associated with the 2010s, much like Nickelback-style post-grunge is a uniquely '00s style.

What are your thoughts?  Is disco/funk revival the "post grunge" of the '10s?

Subject: Re: Is disco/funk revival the "post-grunge" of the 2010s?

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/28/17 at 6:35 pm

To be honest, I haven't noticed too much disco or funk revival lately. Can you point to some stuff from the last 3 years?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/28/17 at 11:04 pm

I guess it is, to a certain extent. Although, i'm not sure if it is as influential to the 2010s as post-grunge was to the 2000s.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/29/17 at 9:43 am

To be honest, I haven't noticed too much disco or funk revival lately. Can you point to some stuff from the last 3 years?

I think Bruno Mars's 24K Magic is the only thing I can think of, plus a few tracks on Calvin Harris's most recent album.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/17 at 2:11 pm

I think Bruno Mars's 24K Magic is the only thing I can think of, plus a few tracks on Calvin Harris's most recent album.

Bruno Mars is one example.

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/29/17 at 3:11 pm

Bruno Mars is an example of a revival but disco/funk? Calvin Harris lately...yeah. Definitely.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/29/17 at 5:48 pm

Bruno Mars - Treasure & 24K Magic
Mark Ronson - Uptown Funk
Daft Punk - Get Lucky & Lose Yourself to Dance

Written By: Emman on 10/30/17 at 12:11 am

It's a genre that most people will admit is terrible yet is a guilty pleasure for a lot of people and continues to be very resilient in Top 40, even though other genres have either come and gone or evolved substantially since 2013.  I've personally never liked this style just like I don't like the original genres from the late '70s/early '80s that it's a throwback to.  However, a lot of people really like it.  It's also a sound that is very uniquely associated with the 2010s, much like Nickelback-style post-grunge is a uniquely '00s style.

What are your thoughts?  Is disco/funk revival the "post grunge" of the '10s?

Disco revival is not unique to the 2010s, there was a huge disco revival in the late '90s and early '00s along with a general '70s fashion revival.

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/30/17 at 8:29 am

gzoEK545j64

Written By: Shemp97 on 10/30/17 at 8:58 pm

Disco revival is not unique to the 2010s, there was a huge disco revival in the late '90s and early '00s along with a general '70s fashion revival.

There was even more disco-influenced music in the late 00s.

Check for new replies or respond here...