inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Yet another mass shooting, this time in Texas

Written By: HeyJealousy on 11/05/17 at 1:59 pm

They're saying at least 20 fatalities.
All these highly publicized tragedies, and yet nobody wants a national dialogue on guns, gun violence, plain violence or mental illness.

Subject: Re: Yet another mass shooting, this time in Texas

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/05/17 at 2:16 pm

20? I heard it was 200.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 11/05/17 at 3:00 pm

20? I heard it was 200.

200? Imagine the outcry over that.

Written By: Howard on 11/05/17 at 3:06 pm

They're saying at least 20 fatalities.
All these highly publicized tragedies, and yet nobody wants a national dialogue on guns, gun violence, plain violence or mental illness.

These mass shootings are way out of hand, what the eff is going on in this world? It must be the new norm now. ::)

Written By: 2001 on 11/05/17 at 10:24 pm

It's kind of amazing how the last shooting--where almost 58 people were killed and more than 546 were injured--became a non-story after a mere couple of days. If I were a betting man I'd bet this will be forgotten too.  :-\\

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/05/17 at 10:30 pm

It's kind of amazing how the last shooting--where almost 58 people were killed and more than 546 were injured--became a non-story after a mere couple of days. If I were a betting man I'd bet this will be forgotten too.  :-\\
Uh,  I wouldn't say that. The Vegas shooting is still mentioned in the news even after a month. In fact, I think a short documentary on it 4 weeks later.

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/05/17 at 10:33 pm

Uh,  I wouldn't say that. The Vegas shooting is still mentioned in the news even after a month. In fact, I think a short documentary on it 4 weeks later.

It needs to be mention. Way too many people died in the incident. It should complete its relevance by a year though.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 11/05/17 at 11:52 pm

Prayers and condolences won't work in the long run.
We need to have a complex national conversation. I'm not calling for legislation just yet, but there are various factors that contribute to America's culture of violence.

And it isn't JUST our gun laws, or the lack thereof. For someone with left-leaning views, I don't usually jump on the "gun control now" bandwagon. I don't think this is the only solution, and when some Democrats advocate for assault-weapon bans, I refute their overly simplistic approach to the matter.

Mental illness is a prevailing issue that is rarely discussed and, when it is, people either rush to demonize sufferers of such illnesses or simply turn a blind eye.
Neither solution works. And these troubled, confused individuals continue to crumble until' one day, some of them tumble down and take others with them.

There is, obviously, SOME merit to the gun-control narrative. Certain existing laws are rarely enforced, loopholes galore, and our current system of background checks are too damn weak, too transparent. There is some work that needs to be done in those areas. But this is how mentally afflicted individuals are able to purchase high-capacity rifles and assault weapons, through various loopholes that are blatantly ignored. The NRA needs to address those issues, and yet they won't.

However when you ban assault weapons, high-capacity rifles, etc, you leave room for a prospering black market and sales there skyrocket. The void you left has just been filled, and your vain attempt to trade liberty for security? You can kiss it goodbye.

I am, after all, a devout civil libertarian, including on the gun issue. But I'm not a partisan, I will vote for legislation that I feel is reasonable, thoughtful and does not rape the Constitution nor our individual liberties. We need to pass more legislation, I'd take that solution over the "thoughts and prayers" quick fix. But even gun control itself can be a quick fix, and quick fixes are rarely (if ever) effective. Mental illness, decline of community, poor parenting, isolation, etc often do contribute to the sad state we're in today. The vast majority of American serial killers were abused and/or neglected as children. Those, who weren't, were bullied and subject to severe emotional abuse by their peers or wronged by those they trusted. I assume that the percentage is fairly high for mass shooters as well. It sickens me when cops find 30 mutilated bodies in a trusted candyman's basement, or when 60 concertgoers are senselessly butchered by a twice-divorced alcoholic with a penchant for gambling. (Those cases I'm referring to are those of Dean Corll and Stephen Paddock, respectively). But this won't stop until' we collectively TALK, and all sides attentively listen to one another, about what needs to be done in curbing America's violence problem.

Written By: Howard on 11/07/17 at 7:32 am

I'm still waiting for another mass shooting, we have another month to go before the end of the year.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/07/17 at 7:46 am

I'm still waiting for another mass shooting, we have another month to go before the end of the year.
I am not waiting, I do not wish timber or see another!

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/07/17 at 10:09 am

Prayers and condolences won't work in the long run.
We need to have a complex national conversation. I'm not calling for legislation just yet, but there are various factors that contribute to America's culture of violence.

And it isn't JUST our gun laws, or the lack thereof. For someone with left-leaning views, I don't usually jump on the "gun control now" bandwagon. I don't think this is the only solution, and when some Democrats advocate for assault-weapon bans, I refute their overly simplistic approach to the matter.

Mental illness is a prevailing issue that is rarely discussed and, when it is, people either rush to demonize sufferers of such illnesses or simply turn a blind eye.
Neither solution works. And these troubled, confused individuals continue to crumble until' one day, some of them tumble down and take others with them.

There is, obviously, SOME merit to the gun-control narrative. Certain existing laws are rarely enforced, loopholes galore, and our current system of background checks are too damn weak, too transparent. There is some work that needs to be done in those areas. But this is how mentally afflicted individuals are able to purchase high-capacity rifles and assault weapons, through various loopholes that are blatantly ignored. The NRA needs to address those issues, and yet they won't.

However when you ban assault weapons, high-capacity rifles, etc, you leave room for a prospering black market and sales there skyrocket. The void you left has just been filled, and your vain attempt to trade liberty for security? You can kiss it goodbye.

I am, after all, a devout civil libertarian, including on the gun issue. But I'm not a partisan, I will vote for legislation that I feel is reasonable, thoughtful and does not rape the Constitution nor our individual liberties. We need to pass more legislation, I'd take that solution over the "thoughts and prayers" quick fix. But even gun control itself can be a quick fix, and quick fixes are rarely (if ever) effective. Mental illness, decline of community, poor parenting, isolation, etc often do contribute to the sad state we're in today. The vast majority of American serial killers were abused and/or neglected as children. Those, who weren't, were bullied and subject to severe emotional abuse by their peers or wronged by those they trusted. I assume that the percentage is fairly high for mass shooters as well. It sickens me when cops find 30 mutilated bodies in a trusted candyman's basement, or when 60 concertgoers are senselessly butchered by a twice-divorced alcoholic with a penchant for gambling. (Those cases I'm referring to are those of Dean Corll and Stephen Paddock, respectively). But this won't stop until' we collectively TALK, and all sides attentively listen to one another, about what needs to be done in curbing America's violence problem.

Of course  you are right, but whenever this crap happens those who should lead the discussion say "the time is not right" so nothing ever happens. 
As to the second amendment, SCOTUS, in it's latest decision, ignored the first clause, "A well regulated militia...".  It, like congress, belongs to the NRA

Written By: HeyJealousy on 11/07/17 at 3:22 pm

Of course  you are right, but whenever this crap happens those who should lead the discussion say "the time is not right" so nothing ever happens. 
As to the second amendment, SCOTUS, in it's latest decision, ignored the first clause, "A well regulated militia...".  It, like congress, belongs to the NRA

I'm for some additional regulations, especially when it pertains to background checks and waiting time.

But I've known people who live with so-called "assault weapons", value those weapons as their own property and I see no difference between them and other gun owners.

The term "assault weapons" is loosely defined. That's one of multiple reasons why I'm cynical of the "assault-weapon ban" proposal. However, I AM in favor of advanced background checks and allowing gunshot victims to sue gun manufacturers.

Something has to be done. Not JUST regarding guns, but there needs to be a conversation on mental illness, gun laws, poverty, parenting, glorification of violence by the media, and another factors that contribute to mass shootings and violence in general.

Without a complex, bipartisan dialogue on a variety of issues (including gun laws), very little progress (if any) will be made in curbing our violent-crime and homicide rate. Mass shootings will still be a common occurrence, and human nature will prevail. We can pass a sh*tload of laws that are rarely enforced, or we can actually try to communicate with one another. I prefer the latter option, even if it's a pipe dream under today's political climate. Not just legislation, but TALK.

Written By: KatanaChick on 11/07/17 at 6:54 pm

There was an interview on with a girl who knew the shooter in high school. She said he was a bully and she had nothing but problems with him back then. When he grew up he would beat his dog and his wife too. I'm not sure what kind of home he was raised in, but his uncle did go on TV to call him a coward for what he did. I'm all for better mental health intervention, but I'm not convinced all people can be fixed.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/07/17 at 7:01 pm

I did this 2 years ago. It is now WAY outdated. Maybe I should update it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYGqGi2VsNU

Cat

Written By: KatanaChick on 11/07/17 at 7:04 pm

I did this 2 years ago. It is now WAY outdated. Maybe I should update it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYGqGi2VsNU

Cat

Did what two years ago?

Written By: HeyJealousy on 11/07/17 at 7:50 pm

There was an interview on with a girl who knew the shooter in high school. She said he was a bully and she had nothing but problems with him back then. When he grew up he would beat his dog and his wife too. I'm not sure what kind of home he was raised in, but his uncle did go on TV to call him a coward for what he did. I'm all for better mental health intervention, but I'm not convinced all people can be fixed.

There is no easy solution, it seems.
But clearly, we HAVE to start somewhere.

Written By: 2001 on 11/07/17 at 8:34 pm

I'm for some additional regulations, especially when it pertains to background checks and waiting time.

But I've known people who live with so-called "assault weapons", value those weapons as their own property and I see no difference between them and other gun owners.

The term "assault weapons" is loosely defined. That's one of multiple reasons why I'm cynical of the "assault-weapon ban" proposal. However, I AM in favor of advanced background checks and allowing gunshot victims to sue gun manufacturers.

Something has to be done. Not JUST regarding guns, but there needs to be a conversation on mental illness, gun laws, poverty, parenting, glorification of violence by the media, and another factors that contribute to mass shootings and violence in general.

Without a complex, bipartisan dialogue on a variety of issues (including gun laws), very little progress (if any) will be made in curbing our violent-crime and homicide rate. Mass shootings will still be a common occurrence, and human nature will prevail. We can pass a sh*tload of laws that are rarely enforced, or we can actually try to communicate with one another. I prefer the latter option, even if it's a pipe dream under today's political climate. Not just legislation, but TALK.

What do these people do with assault weapons?  ???

Written By: HeyJealousy on 11/08/17 at 12:06 am

Semi-automatic "assault weapons", to clarify. Not fully automatic.

Now, I personally would never own a semi-automatic but knowing what I do know about their lifestyle (and most owners of high-capacity weapons in general), I frankly don't see the difference between a .12 Gauge owner and an AR-15 owner. I wouldn't infringe upon their liberties to own such weapons, even though I don't quite *understand* their fetish of high-capacity weapons. I don't know exactly *what* they intend to do with those weapons, except for hunting or perhaps just for collectors' sake.

I'm no expert on guns, so perhaps I shouldn't even comment. All I'm saying is that the whole "gun" issue shouldn't be framed as an overly simplistic, good vs evil battle. Like "Gun Nuts vs Sensible Gun-Control Advocates". "Anti-Constitution Gun-Control Advocates vs Peaceful Gun Owners". We should be combatting senseless murders in general, and there is no direct correlation between gun laws and murder rate. However, there IS a correlation between gun laws and gun homicides. It is also possible that the more traffic a specific area has, the more likely one is to die in a hit-and-run. I haven't looked up the stats on that yet, though. But both sides are right, and wrong, on the "gun-control vs gun-rights" debate.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/08/17 at 12:35 am

As tragic as this event was...NOTHING will change and there WILL be another mass shooting like this in the near future in the U.S.

The U.S. and our gun culture and mental illness problem are TOO TOXIC and INTERTWINED into our society that we will NEVER be able to stop these events.

I'm completely desensitized at this point. I wasn't even faintly shocked when I heard the news of this attack.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/08/17 at 10:11 am

Did what two years ago?

Put that video together

Written By: Howard on 11/08/17 at 2:29 pm

just maybe he needs a mental institution.

Written By: Howard on 11/08/17 at 2:30 pm

They save them until the time is right to go on a warpath.

Written By: Howard on 11/08/17 at 2:31 pm

As tragic as this event was...NOTHING will change and there WILL be another mass shooting like this in the near future in the U.S.

The U.S. and our gun culture and mental illness problem are TOO TOXIC and INTERTWINED into our society that we will NEVER be able to stop these events.

I'm completely desensitized at this point. I wasn't even faintly shocked when I heard the news of this attack.

and no one knows where this next one will occur?

Written By: HeyJealousy on 11/08/17 at 2:37 pm

People are so damn unpredictable, it's too hard to determine who will be the next one to tick and shoot up a church/school/hotel.
All we can do for now is love one another, in spite of our political and cultural differences, and keep one vigilant eye open just in case.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 11/08/17 at 2:42 pm

I agree.

I will also venture to say that the sheer hatred and division, embedded in our society, is toxic and even contagious.

There aren't enough friendly and helpful folks out there to truly make a difference. We have abandoned the values of warmth and compassion, that made our country so great at first.

Written By: Howard on 11/08/17 at 3:07 pm

People are so damn unpredictable, it's too hard to determine who will be the next one to tick and shoot up a church/school/hotel.
All we can do for now is love one another, in spite of our political and cultural differences, and keep one vigilant eye open just in case.

good idea. O0

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/08/17 at 3:33 pm

Yep...no one knows. It can HAPPEN ANYWHERE in the U.S.

I agree.

I will also venture to say that the sheer hatred and division, embedded in our society, is toxic and even contagious.

There aren't enough friendly and helpful folks out there to truly make a difference. We have abandoned the values of warmth and compassion, that made our country so great at first.

Yep, I agree wholeheartedly.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/14/17 at 6:11 pm

The Texas shooting is the last one I'm giving the shooter any attention. I couldn't care less what his/her name is.
I partly blame the media, they give these crazies the attention they seek, and the mentally unbalanced people go
seek this attention to feed their delusions/instability.

The media is just evil too.

Written By: Howard on 11/15/17 at 7:19 am

This will never end:

https://www.snopes.com/2017/11/14/multiple-killed-northern-california-shooting/

Written By: 2001 on 11/15/17 at 5:10 pm

This will never end:

https://www.snopes.com/2017/11/14/multiple-killed-northern-california-shooting/

That completely flew under the radar. I wonder when the next one is :o

Written By: Howard on 11/16/17 at 4:38 pm

That completely flew under the radar. I wonder when the next one is :o

Hey, God only knows. :(

Written By: Howard on 11/17/17 at 5:19 am

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.3635382.1510778756!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_750/guns16n-4-web.jpg

By looking at his picture, would you think he was a crazy person?

Written By: 2001 on 11/17/17 at 12:54 pm

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.3635382.1510778756!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_750/guns16n-4-web.jpg

By looking at his picture, would you think he was a crazy person?

Maybe a bit quirky but not a murderer. :o

That hair is definitely funky though lmao.

Written By: Howard on 11/18/17 at 7:34 am

Maybe a bit quirky but not a murderer. :o

That hair is definitely funky though lmao.

Why can't they just comb their hair for a picture, it's not hard. ::)

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/18/17 at 10:14 am

I agree.

Tell that to the slaves and Indians

Written By: 80sfan on 11/18/17 at 11:03 am

I agree.

Well, we've been politically divisive before, I think that the last time we were this politically polarized in America was what, the 1960's? 1970's? But the 1980's to about the mid-00's, we were less divided, and there was a feeling of peace, false, or not, probably because we were sick of the division of the 1960's/1970's.

Written By: 2001 on 11/18/17 at 9:31 pm

Well, we've been politically divisive before, I think that the last time we were this politically polarized in America was what, the 1960's? 1970's? But the 1980's to about the mid-00's, we were less divided, and there was a feeling of peace, false, or not, probably because we were sick of the division of the 1960's/1970's.

The 1990s were very polarized weren't they? Not as much as today but still a lot compared to the 1980s and 2000s.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/18/17 at 9:37 pm

The 1990s were very polarized weren't they? Not as much as today but still a lot compared to the 1980s and 2000s.

The '90s was the beginning of the polarized America that we see today.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/18/17 at 10:43 pm

Really? Maybe it was different in Canada than in America.

I'm was an depressed, uneducated inside-the-house person during the 1990's. So maybe I didn't pay attention.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/18/17 at 10:47 pm

The '90s was the beginning of the polarized America that we see today.

You all never let me win. http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/Smileys/default/HWaQd6Z.png http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/Smileys/default/HWaQd6Z.png http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/Smileys/default/HWaQd6Z.png

Written By: 2001 on 11/18/17 at 11:42 pm

Really? Maybe it was different in Canada than in America.

I'm was an depressed, uneducated inside-the-house person during the 1990's. So maybe I didn't pay attention.

I was talking about America. Canada almost collapsed in the '90s but the 21st century has been very good to us. :D

When the Clintons got in the White House in '93, Republicans already hated them hysterically. Well, they still do, old habits die hard. ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 11/19/17 at 12:23 am

I was talking about America. Canada almost collapsed in the '90s but the 21st century has been very good to us. :D

When the Clintons got in the White House in '93, Republicans already hated them hysterically. Well, they still do, old habits die hard. ;D

1993 was when my father caught our first insect, the cicada.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgK1zsA_AzzzXTlUfv2DfcIftfthEdlAR1tQopyboLJVj5OM3AeQ

Check for new replies or respond here...