inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rock covers of pop songs

Written By: 2001 on 11/06/17 at 6:13 pm

As everyone might agree, Fight Song by Rachel Platten and Roar by Katy Perry are widely regarded as some of the greatest workout songs of all time by critics. But I don't know what it is about them, they just don't give me the PUMP that I need! That's when I discovered that rock covers of pop songs are a thing, and wow, this is just what I needed. :o

This one is really good. It's a cover of Taylor Swift's I Knew You Were Trouble

KJwZ_olgZSw

I love this one too. It's a mix of The 1975's debut The City (which is an awesome rock song on its own, listen to it!), and one of my favourite pop songs this decade, Taylor Swift's Style.

L_F7yHnAKgA

Subject: Re: Rock covers of pop songs

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/07/17 at 2:48 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNPto4GFwx4&list=LLVQnLdjYX7FiShYQZDicxQA&index=54

I personally don't like this, but one of my friend's likes this pop-punk cover of Adele's "Hello".

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/07/17 at 4:22 am

I think the ultimate workout song is “Rock and Roll Part 2”, recorded 45 years ago by glam rock star (and perhaps a pioneering celebrity perv) Gary Gliiter.  That song can really pump up any workout.

Nras3c8r45k

I wonder if they play it in that prison where he resides? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/07/17 at 4:55 am

I think the ultimate workout song is “Rock and Roll Part 2”, recorded 45 years ago by glam rock star (and perhaps a pioneering celebrity perv) Gary Gliiter.  That song can really pump up any workout.

Nras3c8r45k

I always wonder is he still allowed to receive the royalties for his songs?

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/07/17 at 5:11 am

I always wonder is he still allowed to receive the royalties for his songs?

I don't see why not. The song had no connection to the crimes.

Of course if he was subject to a civil judgement, a court could garnish his royalties until the judgement amount was paid off.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/07/17 at 5:21 am

I don't see why not. The song had no connection to the crimes.

Of course if he was subject to a civil judgement, a court could garnish his royalties until the judgement amount was paid off.
Forced to pay the fine?

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/07/17 at 5:17 pm

Forced to pay the fine?

Yes. In the case of his conviction in Vietnam, Gary Glitter was forced to pay restitution to each of his victims. The restitution was set at an astounding amount of 5,000,000 Vietnamese đồng  :o, which was worth roughly $320. 

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/10/17 at 4:07 pm

Here we have what I think is a completely atrocious cover version of Faith by George Michael that was done by Limp Bizkit!

8-P  8-P  8-P

WTAF were George's people smoking when they approved this cover? Seriously? This song should have never made it past the brainstorming sessions! This song doesn't even need particularly large vocals.

l-EdCNjumvI

::) ::) ::)

The original song itself is good.  The cover version not so much!

Written By: Rainbowz on 11/10/17 at 4:53 pm

As everyone might agree, Fight Song by Rachel Platten and Roar by Katy Perry are widely regarded as some of the greatest workout songs of all time by critics. But I don't know what it is about them, they just don't give me the PUMP that I need

Fight Song by Rachel Platten is probably one of the worst songs I’ve heard. I honestly don’t get how it’s a good workout song. Roar by Katy Perry is also another song that I’m not a fan of.

Written By: Howard on 11/11/17 at 2:57 pm

Here we have what I think is a completely atrocious cover version of Faith by George Michael that was done by Limp Bizkit!

8-P  8-P  8-P

WTAF were George's people smoking when they approved this cover? Seriously? This song should have never made it past the brainstorming sessions! This song doesn't even need particularly large vocals.

l-EdCNjumvI

God! my ears hurt from listening to this. :o

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/11/17 at 3:49 pm

My ears are bleeding from listening to this.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/11/17 at 3:51 pm

My ears are bleeding from listening to this.
One to avoid?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/11/17 at 3:56 pm

One to avoid?

Yes.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/11/17 at 4:07 pm

Fight Song by Rachel Platten is probably one of the worst songs I’ve heard. I honestly don’t get how it’s a good workout song. Roar by Katy Perry is also another song that I’m not a fan of.

The Democrats loved "Fight Song". They played it so much during the 2016 election cycle, if I would have heard it one more time I woulda ralphed.  8-P

Written By: Howard on 11/12/17 at 3:02 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjdXGNjB3vc

Teenage Fanclub- Like A Virgin

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/12/17 at 6:39 pm

Qt6Lkgs0kiU

I'm a bit indifferent about this one.  The Ataris covering Don Henley's The Boys Of Summer.

Written By: Elor on 11/12/17 at 6:56 pm

8-P  8-P  8-P

Holy cow that was awful. I've heard people back in school singing better than that.  8-P

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/12/17 at 7:13 pm

Holy cow that was awful. I've heard people back in school singing better than that.  8-P

I don't know why they let Fred Durst and the boys do this cover especially since this song doesn't need particularly large vocals.

Written By: Howard on 11/13/17 at 2:44 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2gVzVsi5S4
Ariel Pink- Everybody

Written By: wixness on 11/13/17 at 3:58 pm

I don't think that the rock covers improve the original pop song - Heard a pop punk cover of "Shake It Off" and it still sounded like crap.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/13/17 at 8:12 pm

8-P  8-P  8-P

l-EdCNjumvI

That may have been bad,

but this is a f**king abortion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxoRHqc1iDk

>:( 8-P >:( 8-P >:( 8-P

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/13/17 at 9:22 pm

That may have been bad,

but this is a f**king abortion.

>:( 8-P >:( 8-P >:( 8-P

The Faith cover that they did Fred Durst can't even sing.  All he does is shrieks.  It doesn't take much talent to do that.  This is why rock bands should never "sing" pop songs. 
They should just sing their own original material.

Written By: 2001 on 11/13/17 at 9:56 pm

Woah this thread blew up! I thought it would get a few posts at most. Time to sift through 'em! :D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/13/17 at 10:08 pm

Woah this thread blew up! I thought it would get a few posts at most. Time to sift through 'em! :D

I believe that only the original artists should sing their songs.  Rock covers don't do any pop songs any justice as far as I'm concerned.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/14/17 at 5:16 am

The Faith cover that they did Fred Durst can't even sing.  All he does is shrieks.  It doesn't take much talent to do that.  This is why rock bands should never "sing" pop songs. 
They should just sing their own original material.

It's like saying "Why ruin a good classic song"? ::)

Written By: Elor on 11/14/17 at 5:13 pm

It's like saying "Why ruin a good classic song"? ::)
Money! ;)

Written By: 2001 on 11/14/17 at 5:44 pm

I personally don't like this, but one of my friend's likes this pop-punk cover of Adele's "Hello".

I like this! It didn't seem too upbeat of a song to turn into rock though. ;D

LOL

That cover is... glamourous.  :o

8-P  8-P  8-P

;D ;D ;D I wonder what Fred Durst's #1 fan, mach!ne_he@d has to say about the amazing vocals in this song.

Yes. In the case of his conviction in Vietnam, Gary Glitter was forced to pay restitution to each of his victims. The restitution was set at an astounding amount of 5,000,000 Vietnamese đồng  :o, which was worth roughly $320.

That's a lot of dongs.

This is my fight song
Take back my life song
Prove that I'm alright song
My power's turned on
I will be strong
This is my fight song
And I don't really care if nobody else believes
Because I still got a lot of fight left in me~

GOAT work out song. U mad?

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BelatedPalatableKiskadee-size_restricted.gif

I was joking. ;D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/14/17 at 10:15 pm

I like this! It didn't seem too upbeat of a song to turn into rock though. ;D

;D ;D ;D I wonder what Fred Durst's #1 fan, mach!ne_he@d has to say about the amazing vocals in this song.

I don't know but I wouldn't even call what Durst is doing there "singing" at all.  He sounds worse than a lot of today's singers do. I can't speak for everyone else who commented on my post but I do speak for myself when I say that what surprises me the most about Fred's "vocals" is that he didn't blow his throat from all of the shrieking that he does.

Written By: whistledog on 11/21/17 at 12:05 am

In 2001, the American band Wheatus had a big hit in the UK with a cover of the Erasure song 'A Little Respect'.  It was very well done!

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/21/17 at 8:30 pm

V8vDBuY0ks0

This one's not too bad.  :) Platinum Blonde covering Message In A Bottle by The Police.  :)

Written By: TheKid99 on 11/22/17 at 4:41 pm

Chocolate - Knuckle Puck
https://youtu.be/olB7HAIUmgM
Originally by The 1975. This is full rock/pop punk instead of the pop rock /pop version that the 1975 has. I actually prefer this version over the 1975s

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/23/17 at 10:55 pm

32udqal_lyQ  bzvuvt9Db8g

Check for new replies or respond here...