inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lock or delete please

Written By: Brian06 on 11/06/17 at 9:20 pm

This is turning into another generation birth span topic, I should have known that would happen.  ::)

Subject: Re: How do today's teens view people born in 1987?

Written By: Rainbowz on 11/06/17 at 9:26 pm

I was born in 2002 and when I think of people born in the 80’s (especially mid-late 80s) I think of 90s kids  ;D ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 11/06/17 at 9:46 pm

I was born in 2002 and when I think of people born in the 80’s (especially mid-late 80s) I think of 90s kids  ;D ;D

Yeah I was a kid in the '90s! I do miss those days, I mean we had technology then but it wasn't as crazy as now. It's kinda funny but I thought Polaroid cameras were a big deal and cool when I was a little kid like in 1993, makes me laugh now.  ;D I can't believe how divided we are now and don't really understand why. I mean I've always been into technology but I'm a bit overwhelmed now actually. People your age seem insanely young to me, but I know you will be driving soon and are in high school now so you are growing up which is scary!

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 11/06/17 at 9:50 pm

I'm in my late teens (18), hope that's fine.

1. I look at people born in 1987 as relatively young overall.

2. It really depends on the person when it comes to being intimidating or friendly and approachable.

3. One thing I think you guys are definitely out of touch with is meme culture, it seems like you guys just don't understand it.

4. I just look at you guys as adults, but I guess I technically am as well, it doesn't feel like it though. (Probably because I'm still in high school with no job and live with my parents)

5.  No, I don't like aging at all, lol.

Written By: 2001 on 11/06/17 at 9:54 pm

I was at my friend's little sister's 13th birthday celebration yesterday (born 2004), and she saw me texting my friends on Facebook Messenger and told me I was old for using Facebook.  :-[

Written By: Brian06 on 11/06/17 at 9:58 pm

2. It really depends on the person when it comes to being intimidating or friendly and approachable.

3. One thing I think you guys are definitely out of touch with is meme culture, it seems like you guys just don't understand it.

4. I just look at you guys as adults, but I guess I technically am as well, it doesn't feel like it though. (Probably because I'm still in high school with no job and live with my parents)

It's just depresses me how aging is so little by little. I mean I still feel like a pretty young man but compared to people your age I know I am aging a bit. I'm not as young and cutting edge as a 1999 born.  :-\\ I'm moving more into the "young parents" age bracket which is fine but it's just depressing how gradual all this is. I'm thinking back to when people my age were "jailbait" and just teenagers which seems like yesterday in a way, and I kinda understand aging a little now which is scary. It's all just passes you by before you even realize anything.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 11/06/17 at 10:10 pm

I was at my friend's little sister's 13th birthday celebration yesterday (born 2004), and she saw me texting my friends on Facebook Messenger and told me I was old for using Facebook.  :-
It's just depresses me how aging is so little by little. I mean I still feel like a pretty young man but compared to people your age I know I am aging a bit. I'm not as young and cutting edge as a 1999 born.  :-\\ I'm moving more into the "young parents" age bracket which is fine but it's just depressing how gradual all this is. I'm thinking back to when people my age were "jailbait" and just teenagers which seems like yesterday in a way, and I kinda understand aging a little now which is scary. It's all just passes you by before you even realize anything.

Yeah, us teenagers will be feeling this as well eventually. It's alright though man, you still have a long life left to live. :)

Written By: Brian06 on 11/06/17 at 10:11 pm

I was at my friend's little sister's 13th birthday celebration yesterday (born 2004), and she saw me texting my friends on Facebook Messenger and told me I was old for using Facebook.  :-[

Yeah I think Facebook is seen as something for adults now among teens. I know this one woman my age that has a child born in 2004! Oh God... I'm starting to get old.  ;D  ::)

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 11/06/17 at 10:16 pm

I'm 18 (born in 1999), and to be honest, I still view people born in 1987 as being either teens or very young adults at most.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/06/17 at 10:22 pm

I'm 18 (born in 1999), and to be honest, I still view people born in 1987 as being either teens or very young adults at most.

Yeah you do remember people my age being teens at least and that memory sticks with you. The people who don't even remember people my age being teens scare me more.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 11/06/17 at 10:38 pm

Yeah you do remember people my age being teens at least and that memory sticks with you. The people who don't even remember people my age being teens scare me more.

I remember people your age being teens, I just don't look at you that way anymore. Do you see me as a toddler still? ;)

I actually have a memory of my aunt (born 1987) and her best friend taking my brother and I see to go see Ice Age at the movie theaters. I believe she would've been 15 at the time, I was 3. :)

Written By: Brian06 on 11/06/17 at 10:42 pm

I guess I'm still adjusting to hitting 30. I can start thinking back now, it's like OMG they were only 14 in 2001, that's a 30 year old woman now.  :o 18, 21, 25 weren't as scary, but yeah 30 has been a little scary and I feel a little older for the first time. The passage of time is hitting me for the first time.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/06/17 at 10:48 pm

I guess I'm still adjusting to hitting 30. I can start thinking back now, it's like OMG they were only 14 in 2001, that's a 30 year old woman now.  :o 18, 21, 25 weren't as scary, but yeah 30 has been a little scary and I feel a little older for the first time. The passage of time is hitting me for the first time.

30 for me wasn't bad.  32 is scary.  I am currently in the midst of a existential crisis.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/06/17 at 10:49 pm

I remember people your age being teens, I just don't look at you that way anymore. Do you see me as a toddler still? ;)

I actually have a memory of my aunt (born 1987) and her best friend taking my brother and I see to go see Ice Age at the movie theaters. I believe she would've been 15 at the time, I was 3. :)

Yeah I know I'm actually saying that people born in 1999 like you or t-rex that remember me being a teen, it's a bit different than like some 2005 born that has no memory at all of that. I mean to a 2005 born I could possibly be their father!  ;D I actually have nieces born in the mid-late '90s too! I still think of one born in 1995 as my "little niece" in a way. She was 10 in 2005. OMG. Though she's actually a young woman of 22 that's engaged now. Time kinda hits you when you think about all this.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/06/17 at 10:52 pm

30 for me wasn't bad.  32 is scary.  I am currently in the midst of a existential crisis.

It only gets worse from here. I'm already thinking about 31...  ::)

Written By: Longaotian00 on 11/06/17 at 10:56 pm

Imo, I still view people born in 1987 as relatively young people, not like 1995+ young but still young if you know what I mean.
I don't see people born then as completely different to myself as most of my cousins were born around this time, I grew up and spent a lot of time with them when I was just a kid And remeber when they were just my age currently. Now I find it hard to beleive that their approaching 30!  :o

Some of you guys are out of touch, but it really depends on the person. Most people who aren't in High School/University are gonna be a bit like that regardless.

Also, I don't think of you guys as being scary adults, that's more 1977 borns lol. They truly are old and are more closer to my parents generations, in comparison to '87ers.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 11/06/17 at 10:59 pm

Yeah I know I'm actually saying that people born in 1999 like you or t-rex that remember me being a teen, it's a bit different than like some 2005 born that has no memory at all of that. I mean to a 2005 born I could possibly be their father!  ;D I actually have nieces born in the mid-late '90s too! I still think of one born in 1995 as my "little niece" in a way. She was 10 in 2005. OMG. Though she's actually a young woman of 22 that's engaged now. Time kinda hits you when you think about all this.

That makes more sense, lol. I thought you meant it was scarier when those who were old enough to remember you being a teen didn't.

Written By: d90 on 11/06/17 at 11:01 pm

At least you're still closer in age to 18 than 65. We both still have many years left till turning 41.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/06/17 at 11:07 pm

At least you're still closer in age to 18 than 65. We both still have many years left till turning 41.

Yeah my parents are now in their 60s, it's scary when they're going to be in their 70s soon. 60s is not all that bad, but 70s you start worrying about them getting near the end. 60s I can stomach but when both of them are over 70 in 2023 and I'm pushing 40 OMG that is going to be scary.  :o My mom turns 70 in a couple of years that's gonna be depressing as hell. My dad is just turning 65 next month.

Written By: d90 on 11/06/17 at 11:15 pm

Yeah my parents are now in their 60s, it's scary when they're going to be in their 70s soon. 60s is not all that bad, but 70s you start worrying about them getting near the end. 60s I can stomach but when both of them are over 70 in 2023 and I'm pushing 40 OMG that is going to be scary.  :o My mom turns 70 in a couple of years that's gonna be depressing as hell. My dad is just turning 65 next month.
I totally agree. It's scary realizing that two decades or so from now my parents will either be dead or close to being dead  :o ???

Written By: Longaotian00 on 11/06/17 at 11:23 pm

My parents are going to turn 70 in 20 years! :o I remember when they were just in their 30s.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/06/17 at 11:32 pm

My parents are going to turn 70 in 20 years! :o I remember when they were just in their 30s.

70 is just such a symbolic milestone to me in a lot of ways. It's kinda when I generally view people as actual senior citizens, and I made a topic about this before. 70 just seems so much older than 60 to me. 60s you can still say they're borderline, but it's like when you hit the big 7-0 it's hard to say you're anything but a senior citizen even if you're a youngish senior still.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 11/06/17 at 11:47 pm

70 is just such a symbolic milestone to me in a lot of ways. It's kinda when I generally view people as actual senior citizens, and I made a topic about this before. 70 just seems so much older than 60 to me. 60s you can still say they're borderline, but it's like when you hit the big 7-0 it's hard to say you're anything but a senior citizen even if you're a youngish senior still.

Yeah, a lot of my aunties/uncles are in or approaching their 60s, and while their obviously older, they still seem a lot younger than people in their 70/80s who are truly old. One of my closest aunties is now 61 and tbh you wouldn't think it, and she defintly still seems younger. A lot of people I know in their 40/50s even 30s are not up to date with a lot of stuff like using snapchat or Instagram or whatever but she still manages to use them. Even her 97 year old friend figured it out and was sending snaps with filters on, yet not my parents who are 50 could do this smh ::)

Written By: Slim95 on 11/06/17 at 11:57 pm

Yeah I think Facebook is seen as something for adults now among teens. I know this one woman my age that has a child born in 2004! Oh God... I'm starting to get old.  ;D  ::)

Yeah I'm still into Facebook and people around my age (20 and over) use it a lot as well. That's interesting younger people see it as old school. Makes me feel old but I don't mind haha

I do feel old when it comes to social media because I don't have Instagram, and everyone young and old seems to have it these days. I don't have Snap Chat either. I only install apps that interest me, and none of the new social media apps interests me at all and I find them boring. Facebook and a couple others work well enough for me, I am just not really into the new social media fads, seems like most teens are these days. If they are not interesting to me I avoid it and I'm fine with that even if it makes me old.  :P

Written By: Slim95 on 11/07/17 at 12:04 am

I'm looking forward to turning 30. That's when I will be deep into my career and hopefully start a new life for myself and maybe a new family. It's actually a milestone I look forward to the most, even more than hitting 20 and other ages before and after that. As I've said before, the 30s is when your life actually begins and that's exciting to me. You're still young but finally mature. In my 20s I still feel like a baby in many ways living with my parents, partying, and still going to university. I am still learning a lot about life and apparently the adult brain doesn't get developed until age 25. The 30s will be great! You are lucky you in them now, enjoy it.  :)

Written By: Brian06 on 11/07/17 at 12:12 am

I'm looking forward to turning 30. That's when I will be deep into my career and hopefully start a new life for myself and maybe a new family. It's actually a milestone I look forward to the most, even more than hitting 20 and other ages after that. As I've said before, the 30s is when you're life actually begins and that's exciting to me. In my 20s I still feel like a baby in many ways living with my parents, partying, and still going to university. I am still learning a lot about life and apparently the adult brain doesn't get developed until age 25. The 30s will be great! You are lucky you in them now, enjoy it.  :)

Yeah you're right I do like being 30 and being a "real adult" and having some perspective. I understand things more now. I actually understand how calling 40 and 50 year olds "old" is absolutely ridiculous now. I now know 40 is NOWHERE near old now and is really still pretty young and I kinda laugh at the idea of 40 being called old at this point. I'll be 40 in only 10 years and I don't really think that much about it, because 40 is really still pretty young in reality!  ;D Oh how would my parents love to be only 40 again!  ;D

Written By: Longaotian00 on 11/07/17 at 12:57 am

Yeah you're right I do like being 30 and being a "real adult" and having some perspective. I understand things more now. I actually understand how calling 40 and 50 year olds "old" is absolutely ridiculous now. I now know 40 is NOWHERE near old now and is really still pretty young and I kinda laugh at the idea of 40 being called old at this point. I'll be 40 in only 10 years and I don't really think that much about it, because 40 is really still pretty young in reality!  ;D Oh how would my parents love to be only 40 again!  ;D

Yeah but it depends on your age. When my mum was 40 and I was younger, I thought she was an ancient dinosaur haha ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 11/07/17 at 1:05 am

Yeah but it depends on your age. When my mum was 40 and I was younger, I thought she was an ancient dinosaur haha ;D

I remember when my parents were in their 40s and I saw them as old already then, but now they are 65 and 68 and I keep thinking about how freaking young they were still in their 40s! This is how aging is. And then think back in 1999 and someone my age was like a freaking 12 year old TWELVE year old! Now someone born in '87 is a typical 30 year old parent on their 2nd or 3rd child. ;D This passage of time is really hitting me now the more I think about it.  :o

Written By: Howard on 11/07/17 at 7:18 am

Do you see people my age as young? Are you intimidated by people my age? Would you view us as a bit out of touch? Are we like these scary adults to you? Do you look forward to being 30?  ;D

No way I don't feel intimidated. I look forward to being 44 next year.

Written By: Howard on 11/07/17 at 7:20 am

It only gets worse from here. I'm already thinking about 31...  ::)

just wait Brian till you reach your 40's.

Written By: Howard on 11/07/17 at 7:21 am

My Parents are already in their 70's.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/07/17 at 8:31 am

Based on what I've seen, I can relate a bit to some of the older teens, like 1998 and 1999 borns, but after 2000 not so much. Not that I've had a chance to talk to a lot of kids that age, but when I do there's not much relation. When I talk to my cousins born early '00s, they mostly have no clue what I'm talking about when stuff that I grew up with comes up like pogs, or Sega still making video game consoles, or what it was like growing up without a phone or even a computer for most of my childhood. That's particularly the case on that last point. I didn't have a computer until after I started junior high, and didn't have online access until 2000. The fact that I had to go my entire childhood with no computer is something that most of the teens of today can't relate to.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 11/07/17 at 8:32 am

Imo, I still view people born in 1987 as relatively young people, not like 1995+ young but still young if you know what I mean.
I don't see people born then as completely different to myself as most of my cousins were born around this time, I grew up and spent a lot of time with them when I was just a kid And remeber when they were just my age currently. Now I find it hard to beleive that their approaching 30!  :o

Some of you guys are out of touch, but it really depends on the person. Most people who aren't in High School/University are gonna be a bit like that regardless.

Also, I don't think of you guys as being scary adults, that's more 1977 borns lol. They truly are old and are more closer to my parents generations, in comparison to '87ers.

For me, that may be a little different.

I sort of view people born in 1980-1985 as being young adults, 1986-1988 as being "older teens", 1989-1991 as being "young teens", and after 1991 as just kids.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/07/17 at 10:54 am

I sort of view people born in 1980-1985 as being young adults, 1986-1988 as being "older teens", 1989-1991 as being "young teens", and after 1991 as just kids.

My friend and I were walking through Wal-Mart with her 8 or 9 year old daughter and her daughter made a comment that my friend and I seemed young, like teenagers. My friend was kind of offended because she seems to be on this huge mission to be an adult (house, car, babies, credit, higher job positions) but I got what her daughter was talking about. We're millennials. We're a generation of "geeks", even if we're not "real geeks", we're still a bunch of geeks. We like stuff older generations consider to be childish and we know that adults don't have all the answers.

Written By: Rainbowz on 11/07/17 at 12:00 pm

People born in the 80's don't seem that old to me at all IMO. Hell, I still see people born in the late 90's as teens even tho the oldest are already 21  ;D (Assuming the late 90s started in September 1996) I have a 12-year old friend whose parents were born in the early 80's and his brother is my age lol

Written By: Longaotian00 on 11/07/17 at 12:51 pm

Based on what I've seen, I can relate a bit to some of the older teens, like 1998 and 1999 borns, but after 2000 not so much. Not that I've had a chance to talk to a lot of kids that age, but when I do there's not much relation. When I talk to my cousins born early '00s, they mostly have no clue what I'm talking about when stuff that I grew up with comes up like pogs, or Sega still making video game consoles, or what it was like growing up without a phone or even a computer for most of my childhood. That's particularly the case on that last point. I didn't have a computer until after I started junior high, and didn't have online access until 2000. The fact that I had to go my entire childhood with no computer is something that most of the teens of today can't relate to.

Yeah.... That's something I would find a bit difficult to imagine as My family got computers well before I was born so I've been using them ever since I was little haha. I basically grew up playing on the desktop PC lol, but it was slow.....and we had dialup. I guess that's something which makes me different from both older people like you and younger people who mostly likely would have grown up with tablets etc.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 11/07/17 at 12:52 pm

But that's incorrect. Those people aren't teens or kids.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 11/07/17 at 12:55 pm

People born in the 80's don't seem that old to me at all IMO. Hell, I still see people born in the late 90's as teens even tho the oldest are already 21  ;D (Assuming the late 90s started in September 1996) I have a 12-year old friend whose parents were born in the early 80's and his brother is my age lol

Yeah.......obviously you see people born in the late 90's as teens still becasue most of them still are. People born after November 1997 are all still teenagers and the youngest are still 17.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 11/07/17 at 12:56 pm

Now mid 2000s babies are becoming teens and it's really freaking me out. :-\\

Written By: Howard on 11/07/17 at 1:02 pm

How is it freaking you out? ???

Written By: Longaotian00 on 11/07/17 at 1:07 pm

How is it freaking you out? ???

Idk it's scary for me. Obviously your used to it now given your age but I'm not. When I turned 13 people born in the early 90s were still teenagers, next year people born in 2005 will be.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 11/07/17 at 2:05 pm

Yeah.... That's something I would find a bit difficult to imagine as My family got computers well before I was born so I've been using them ever since I was little haha. I basically grew up playing on the desktop PC lol, but it was slow.....and we had dialup. I guess that's something which makes me different from both older people like you and younger people who mostly likely would have grown up with tablets etc.

Same here. I grew up on a desktop PC, first used it when I was three or four, I've never actually had dial up, but our Internet speed was still really slow since we live in the country. I played a lot of video games (not the only thing I gamed on though) on it, browsed the Internet, and from around 2007-2010, I used YouTube like crazy. :)

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/07/17 at 4:36 pm

We know meme culture. It's just something that most eventually age out of.  8)

Written By: 2001 on 11/07/17 at 8:47 pm

People born in the late '70s are the last I can consider to be in my extended generation (very loosely), for various reasons. Early '70s are old enough to be my parents, although I kind of never saw them that way. Generally anyone who was a teen in the '90s can seem pretty young to me even in 2017. :D

Written By: Rainbowz on 11/07/17 at 9:08 pm

What are your favorite memes?

Written By: 2001 on 11/07/17 at 10:36 pm

Kids as in physically children or...?  ???

Not even I can imagine myself physically as a kid anymore. The early 2000s were quite a while ago! I'd feel out of place being a kid in 2017. Where do the batteries in the iPad go? Ew, Justin Bieber is so gay. Mom, get off the phone, I'm watching Pewdiepie online! ;D

Tbh I didn't find out what dabbing was until this year. Seriously tho...

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/645/713/888.jpg

Written By: Longaotian00 on 11/08/17 at 1:50 am

Not even I can imagine myself physically as a kid anymore. The early 2000s were quite a while ago! I'd feel out of place being a kid in 2017. Where do the batteries in the iPad go? Ew, Justin Bieber is so gay. Mom, get off the phone, I'm watching Pewdiepie online! ;D

2017!? Sounds more like 2012 ;D ;D ;D

Written By: d90 on 11/08/17 at 3:01 am

In a few years those born in the late 2000s will become teens and it won't be long before we have teens who have no memories of the late 2000s  :o

Written By: 2001 on 11/08/17 at 11:01 am

2017!? Sounds more like 2012 ;D ;D ;D

"Dad, why did you get me these dumb fidget spinners? I asked for a Beyblade!" :D

"Gross, why do the new Mario and Sonic have 2D in them? Old people ruin everything." ;D

"When did Toys 'R Us close? I wanted to get the new Power Rangers toy."  :\'(

Written By: sweetbaby on 11/08/17 at 4:41 pm

Do you see people my age as young? Are you intimidated by people my age? Would you view us as a bit out of touch? Are we like these scary adults to you? Do you look forward to being 30?  ;D

1. Yes
2. No
3. Eh, a little  ;D
4. No. You all seem like full grown adults to me.
5. It depends on how it turns out. I still have a good 17 years left!

Written By: Brian06 on 11/08/17 at 5:29 pm

I hope this guy is just talking about how he first remembers people when he was little, because I'm no late teenager no more and haven't been for years. I am a grown man.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/08/17 at 5:32 pm

1. Yes
2. No
3. Eh, a little  ;D
4. No. You all seem like full grown adults to me.
5. It depends on how it turns out. I still have a good 17 years left!

Wow so you're only 13! I am actually WAY WAY older than you.  ;D

Written By: Setemstraight on 11/09/17 at 9:14 am

??? How can a 29 to 31 year olds be considered "older teens'?

Written By: Setemstraight on 11/09/17 at 9:22 am

T Rex's analogy is a little wacked. Don't mean to be cantankerous but it is.

Written By: Setemstraight on 11/09/17 at 9:28 am

My friend and I were walking through Wal-Mart with her 8 or 9 year old daughter and her daughter made a comment that my friend and I seemed young, like teenagers. My friend was kind of offended because she seems to be on this huge mission to be an adult (house, car, babies, credit, higher job positions) but I got what her daughter was talking about. We're millennials. We're a generation of "geeks", even if we're not "real geeks", we're still a bunch of geeks. We like stuff older generations consider to be childish and we know that adults don't have all the answers.

What birth years are millennials?

Written By: Brian06 on 11/09/17 at 11:45 am

What birth years are millennials?

Not that again, it's endless and pointless to try to figure out the exact birth years of any generation. Please delete or lock this topic moderators. I should have known that would end up happening with a topic like this, but sometimes I don't think.

Check for new replies or respond here...