inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will trap be the last stage of hip hop

Written By: questoftheninja on 11/10/17 at 7:49 am

Honestly,I'll say that there are a few good mainstream rappers right now,well really just one which is Kendrick Lamar,but even his mainstream rappers is just okay so with trap still being popular and bad trap I'm wondering if hip hop will ever recover or will trap do damage so bad to hip hop that it won't recover.i mean I know it can hopefully,but right now hip hop/rap feels very stale right now and I also say this because why in the heck has trap rap lasted longer than snap rap I mean they both weren't that great all though even snap rap is more catch than trap.Snap rap lasted and was big for about 3 years 2005-2007,but traps been on strong since 2011 WTH.Like what do you guys think is this a sign of raps decline and fall or is hip hop/rap just in a real funky stage right now.Thanks for answering. :)

Subject: Re: Will trap be the last stage of hip hop

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 11/10/17 at 3:53 pm

I don't think trap is the last stage of Hip Hop. Probably an unpopular opinion, but I believe Hip Hop is the greatest it's ever been. Sure, we might have people like Lil Pump, but we also have artists like Kendrick Lamar, Childish Gambino, Chance the Rapper, and BROCKHAMPTON.

There will always be bad and good music, man. :)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/10/17 at 3:58 pm

Hip-hop was named as the most consumed music genre in the United States this year, ending rock's dominance. It won't be going anywhere.

Written By: Rainbowz on 11/10/17 at 4:33 pm

I don't think trap is the last stage of Hip Hop. Probably an unpopular opinion, but I believe Hip Hop is the greatest it's ever been. Sure, we might have people like Lil Pump, but we also have artists like Kendrick Lamar, Childish Gambino, Chance the Rapper, and BROCKHAMPTON.

There will always be bad and good music, man. :)

I agree with this. I also like today’s hip-hop.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 11/10/17 at 4:38 pm

Hip-hop was named as the most consumed music genre in the United States this year, ending rock's dominance. It won't be going anywhere.

Yep, I went on this site a few months ago, which calculated which musical artists achieved the most YouTube views from January 2016 to April 2017 in the US, here inside Texas, it was Drake. For my town, it was Drake, Lil Yachty, and Kevin Gates, all Hip Hop artists.

I agree with this. I also like today’s hip-hop.

Yeah, there will always be people who hate on modern music, but today's Hip Hop will probably be remembered well in the future.

Written By: questoftheninja on 11/11/17 at 8:08 am

Yep, I went on this site a few months ago, which calculated which musical artists achieved the most YouTube views from January 2016 to April 2017 in the US, here inside Texas, it was Drake. For my town, it was Drake, Lil Yachty, and Kevin Gates, all Hip Hop artists.

Yeah, there will always be people who hate on modern music, but today's Hip Hop will probably be remembered well in the future.
whoa no offense but I'm pretty sure this hip hop won't be remembered well just like snap rap but this rap era is worse.The only good mainstream rappers would have to be Drake all the other rappers you say are overrated.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/11/17 at 11:27 am

I've really warmed to '10s hip-hop since I started following a few YouTube channels and hearing more songs.  I think it's in a good place right now overall. The area where I live doesn't have a hip-hop station so the only songs I get to hear on the radio are ones that are popular enough to be played by my areas very conservative Top 40 station.  There is a lot of good stuff this decade though.  Hip-hop did not just die in late 2012.  Here are a few channels.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8QfB1wbfrNwNFHQxfyNJsw

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ5DkUL8c_vbflfQ8LRsCIg

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC65afEgL62PGFWXY7n6CUbA

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-yXuc1__OzjwpsJPlxYUCQ.

In terms of where hip-hop is going, I think more focus on lyrics and less focus on bass/rhythm is starting to become en vogue (see: Eminem and Beyonce's new song).

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 11/11/17 at 2:04 pm

whoa no offense but I'm pretty sure this hip hop won't be remembered well just like snap rap but this rap era is worse.The only good mainstream rappers would have to be Drake all the other rappers you say are overrated.

I'm not a fan of Kevin Gates, but I do like Lil Yachty, he's pretty funny as well. Can you say people like Kendrick Lamar and Drake won't be remembered? And I mean Soulja Boy is remembered from the snap rap era.

I was just saying which artists were most popular on YouTube then in my area, but the artists I mentioned being good on my first comment in the thread, you don't think they're good?

I've really warmed to '10s hip-hop since I started following a few YouTube channels and hearing more songs.  I think it's in a good place right now overall. The area where I live doesn't have a hip-hop station so the only songs I get to hear on the radio are ones that are popular enough to be played by my areas very conservative Top 40 station.  There is a lot of good stuff this decade though.  Hip-hop did not just die in late 2012.  Here are a few channels.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8QfB1wbfrNwNFHQxfyNJsw

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ5DkUL8c_vbflfQ8LRsCIg

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC65afEgL62PGFWXY7n6CUbA

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-yXuc1__OzjwpsJPlxYUCQ.

In terms of where hip-hop is going, I think more focus on lyrics and less focus on bass/rhythm is starting to become en vogue (see: Eminem and Beyonce's new song).

Your area doesn't have any hip hop stations? :o There's like four of them where I live. Yeah, top 40 stations are very repetitive and usually don't even play the top 40, more like the top 20. I discover most of my music through Spotify.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/11/17 at 2:09 pm

I wish this was true. I don't really count Eminem since he's been around for awhile. I'll make up my mind when I see the next crop of popular rappers.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/11/17 at 2:12 pm

Honestly,I'll say that there are a few good mainstream rappers right now,well really just one which is Kendrick Lamar,but even his mainstream rappers is just okay so with trap still being popular and bad trap I'm wondering if hip hop will ever recover or will trap do damage so bad to hip hop that it won't recover.i mean I know it can hopefully,but right now hip hop/rap feels very stale right now and I also say this because why in the heck has trap rap lasted longer than snap rap I mean they both weren't that great all though even snap rap is more catch than trap.Snap rap lasted and was big for about 3 years 2005-2007,but traps been on strong since 2011 WTH.Like what do you guys think is this a sign of raps decline and fall or is hip hop/rap just in a real funky stage right now.Thanks for answering. :)

The last stage? Naw. There's other genres / fusions of hip hip that hasn't gotten mainstream attention.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 11/11/17 at 2:26 pm

Only this year ???? It didn't seem as though rock was dominant last year at all.

Written By: musicguy93 on 11/11/17 at 3:00 pm

I hope trap rap is the last stage in bland, repetitive, monotone, trashy ghetto hip hop. However if hip hop is to continue, I do hope it goes in a more fun, upbeat, dancey direction.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/11/17 at 5:50 pm

No. Not at all, but I'll be glad when Trap finally declines to where it something else that's hopefully better takes its place.

There's other genres/fusions of hip-hop that haven't gotten mainstream attention.
This! I wish those types of hip-hop along with the KL type were more mainstream compared to the Trap rap garbage we have right now.

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/11/17 at 6:16 pm

Just right now, we can't see what will come after Hip Hop. Sh!t really feels incomprehensible. Haha That's a serious beginning of a new era.

Rock was also insanely popular at one point.

Written By: Rainbowz on 11/11/17 at 8:32 pm

Well, it could be remembered by people who actually like it. In about 10-15ish years we'll most likely be listening to the popular music of today and feel nostalgia for it, especially people who are teens.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/12/17 at 2:58 pm

No of course not. After trap there will be something new that will take its place and be popular. I think for now though trap isn't going away anytime soon. It will still be around for at least another 5 years. Nothing new is out there yet to replace it. When something new comes, it will probably sound futuristic and combine some elements from classic rap with a new sound, that may start to get popular in a couple years. I'm not complaining because I don't listen to trap. I listen to underground rap that uses more classic beats.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/12/17 at 3:03 pm

Eminem's new song is wack imo  ;D, and I am a big fan of his. Also Eminem has lost his relevancy that he had when he was in his prime back in the 2000s, there won't be new artists following after what he is doing just as they weren't following what he was doing in 2013. Eminem has always been different, he's never released a trap song in his life. He has only transformed the music scene when he first got popular and then done his own thing. His new album Revival may bring some hits that will go mainstream, just like his last album MMLP2 from 2013 did, but it's not like these newer artists will follow his style.

Written By: J. Rob on 11/15/17 at 9:14 am

The mainstream doesn't represent the true vibe of Hip Hop......the biggest selling artists are being compared to the great, but only getting modest radio play....the exception being Kendrick's success this year....and even that was shocking.

The music industry as always underestimated the diversity of thought in the Hip Hop community....streaming is finally exposing it

My point....Hip Hop is in the best shape it's been in since the early 2000s.....but you wouldn't know it listening to the radio

Written By: prodanny288 on 11/15/17 at 2:24 pm

I agree today’s hip hop sounds awful. It sounds completely the same, the lyrics don’t have real meaning, they sound repetitive. With that said, I don’t necessarily think hip hop will be doomed forever. Hopefully we will have a new era of hip hop sooner or later.

Check for new replies or respond here...