inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Late 2010s- Pop Punk Revival Anticipation Thread

Written By: John Titor on 11/10/17 at 4:33 pm

Like Grunge was brewing in the late 80s and bursted in 1991, Pop Punk is brewing a revival in 2018. Whether  or not Pop Punk rules the airwaves
again like it did 1999-2006 remains to be seen. However many posters on this site are predicting a pop punk take over. Now the pop punk that is underground
now def needs some tweaking, but it can be done.  Here are a few videos that I think best represent this underground movement.

Lets discuss if Pop Punk coming back is a good idea. This thread is about the hype of it coming back.

IewikAU6f4c

cFnW9N502Zs

YFvFflR9r0I

wOcRH5GbqTQ

Subject: Re: Late 2010s- Pop Punk Revival Anticipation Thread

Written By: bchris02 on 11/11/17 at 11:14 am

^^^

I am not completely sold on pop-punk coming back into the mainstream, at least in this form.  The videos you posted sound straight out of 2004.  It's rare that genre revivals are this indistinguishable from their predecessor.  I think EDM with pop-punk vocals is more likely personally and fits the formula.  It's nostalgic and fresh at the same time.  It's hard to compare this to grunge as grunge was a new genre and new sound in the late 1980s/early 1990s.  Honestly I am not so sure that rock wouldn't have fallen out of favor in the mainstream around 1990 if it wasn't for grunge.

Written By: John Titor on 11/11/17 at 5:52 pm

^^^

I am not completely sold on pop-punk coming back into the mainstream, at least in this form.  The videos you posted sound straight out of 2004.  It's rare that genre revivals are this indistinguishable from their predecessor.  I think EDM with pop-punk vocals is more likely personally and fits the formula.  It's nostalgic and fresh at the same time.  It's hard to compare this to grunge as grunge was a new genre and new sound in the late 1980s/early 1990s.  Honestly I am not so sure that rock wouldn't have fallen out of favor in the mainstream around 1990 if it wasn't for grunge.

thats the point  it sounds like its from 2004

Written By: bchris02 on 11/11/17 at 7:20 pm

thats the point  it sounds like its from 2004

True and that's why I don't think it will catch on in terms of widespread popularity. Genre revivals always have a twist that make them fresh while still nostalgic.

Written By: John Titor on 11/16/17 at 3:56 pm

^^^

TRL has been playing Pop Punk all day, so weird They played Blink 182 & Paramore for throwback Thursday

https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/GTYavxI.png

Written By: TheKid99 on 11/17/17 at 8:48 am

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

I finally have a good thread lol...

Pop punk in its current more underground form is much better IMHO than the mainstream early 2000s style of pop punk and much more wholesome...

Im kinda both hoping and not hoping it will be mainstream.

Written By: TheKid99 on 11/17/17 at 8:48 am

Warped Tour is ending net year and I AM SO UPSET. >:(

Written By: John Titor on 11/17/17 at 10:37 am

Warped Tour is ending net year and I AM SO UPSET. >:(

but Warped tour has been dead tho for awhile  lol

Written By: #Infinity on 11/17/17 at 8:12 pm

Seriously, it's not gonna happen. The closest we ever got was Fall Out Boy's mid-2010s comeback, but even then, their sound had changed considerably since the 2000s.

Written By: TheKid99 on 11/17/17 at 10:16 pm

but Warped tour has been dead tho for awhile  lol

Warped this year was freaking fantastic so I don't know what you're talking about. :]

Written By: wixness on 11/17/17 at 11:02 pm

Seriously, it's not gonna happen. The closest we ever got was Fall Out Boy's mid-2010s comeback, but even then, their sound had changed considerably since the 2000s.

As have their looks :(

Written By: TheKid99 on 11/18/17 at 9:03 am

It's called the new generation. Paramore and fall out boy. Absolute giants in the mid 2000s. They're not really in the scene anymore. For various reasons. They both sold out and went pop.... not that I blame then. The old generation has moved on. For the most part... (senses fail and brand new being serious exceptions.)But there's a second wave.

Remember these names. Neck deep. Real friends. Knuckle puck. Nothing nowhere. The story so far. State champs. Broadside. Have mercy. Tiny moving parts. Trash boat.

At least ONE of these bands I can guarantee you is going to be big in the next few years.

Written By: John Titor on 11/18/17 at 11:54 am

It's called the new generation. Paramore and fall out boy. Absolute giants in the mid 2000s. They're not really in the scene anymore. For various reasons. They both sold out and went pop.... not that I blame then. The old generation has moved on. For the most part... (senses fail and brand new being serious exceptions.)But there's a second wave.

Remember these names. Neck deep. Real friends. Knuckle puck. Nothing nowhere. The story so far. State champs. Broadside. Have mercy. Tiny moving parts. Trash boat.

At least ONE of these bands I can guarantee you is going to be big in the next few years.

Yeah saying pop punk wont come back is kind of ignorant, because they can't predict single sales or streams in the next 2 years LOL
Everything comes back

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/21/17 at 6:01 am

Since the Trump era is shaping up to be something of a new '80s, I'm kinda hoping some sort of alternative movement will emerge. Give me a Husker Du over a new Jimmy Eat World any day.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/21/17 at 8:56 am

Since the Trump era is shaping up to be something of a new '80s,

I keep seeing people say this. Can someone elaborate on this claim?

Written By: John Titor on 11/21/17 at 10:30 am

I keep seeing people say this. Can someone elaborate on this claim?

2000s was like this as well

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/21/17 at 12:20 pm

I might elaborate later. At work so I can't exactly delve into a full explication now.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 11/21/17 at 11:42 pm

Since the Trump era is shaping up to be something of a new '80s, I'm kinda hoping some sort of alternative movement will emerge. Give me a Husker Du over a new Jimmy Eat World any day.

Heh, funny, I like both bands.

But without Husker Du and the rest of the original 80s alternative bands (Pixies, Smiths, Joy Division), there would be no pop-punk ala Jimmy Eat World/Sum-41.

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/22/17 at 5:23 am

I didn't mean in terms of sound, I meant in terms of impact. Pop punk has changed some since Jimmy Eat World, but not so much that it has spawned entirely different genres. Husker Du, et al are arguably responsible for the entire alternative movement, everything from Green Day to Weezer to the Postal Service and beyond.

Maybe that's why I'm a bit reluctant to attach my hopes to this pop punk revival, because where is it even going? From where I'm standing, it looks like just backwards.

Written By: TheKid99 on 11/22/17 at 4:37 pm

Like Grunge was brewing in the late 80s and bursted in 1991, Pop Punk is brewing a revival in 2018. Whether  or not Pop Punk rules the airwaves
again like it did 1999-2006 remains to be seen. However many posters on this site are predicting a pop punk take over. Now the pop punk that is underground
now def needs some tweaking, but it can be done.  Here are a few videos that I think best represent this underground movement.

Lets discuss if Pop Punk coming back is a good idea. This thread is about the hype of it coming back.

IewikAU6f4c

cFnW9N502Zs

YFvFflR9r0I

wOcRH5GbqTQ

Thanks for including KP's gone. I LOVE THAT SONG. :)

I find this generation of pop punk and emo to be much more down to earth. Everybody is so much more real and down to earth. Yet they're not really any posers in the scene like the mid 2000s.

Ironically. I like Blinks early stuff better than the Enema of the State era stuff.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 11/22/17 at 4:48 pm

Heh, funny, I like both bands.

But without Husker Du and the rest of the original 80s alternative bands (Pixies, Smiths, Joy Division), there would be no pop-punk ala Jimmy Eat World/Sum-41.

I didn't mean in terms of sound, I meant in terms of impact. Pop punk has changed some since Jimmy Eat World, but not so much that it has spawned entirely different genres. Husker Du, et al are arguably responsible for the entire alternative movement, everything from Green Day to Weezer to the Postal Service and beyond.

Maybe that's why I'm a bit reluctant to attach my hopes to this pop punk revival, because where is it even going? From where I'm standing, it looks like just backwards.

I'd argue more in favor of R.E.M. than Husker Du. As important as Husker Du are, it was R.E.M. who invented american alternative with the hib-tone single in 1981; not to mention the fact that Bob Mould was inspired by them to slow down his songs and write more melodies.

I would definitely love an 80's alternative revival. Bring back the rawer punk aspects!

Check for new replies or respond here...