inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Game of the Decade

Written By: GenZer02 on 11/20/17 at 7:39 pm

Half Life 2 won the VGX Award for Best Game of the Decade for the 2000s, which game will win this decade?

Subject: Re: Best Game of the Decade

Written By: 2001 on 11/20/17 at 9:04 pm

I only really played games in the first half of the 2010s. Life caught up to me after that.

Bayonetta was my favourite! That came out in the beginning of 2010. I heard Bayonetta 2 was better but I don't own a Wii U.

Written By: whistledog on 11/20/17 at 11:54 pm

My pick of ones I played was 'Need For Speed: Undercover'.  A racing game starring Maggie Q and featuring music from Pendulum.  3 of my favourite things in one game?  Yes please!

Written By: Milk on 11/23/17 at 11:39 am

Persona 5!

Written By: 2001 on 11/23/17 at 3:49 pm

Persona 5!

You've played it? Damn, I need to finish it. I used to be the biggest Persona fanboy a decade ago. Can't believe I've been neglecting this, I've been waiting for it for so long. ;D

Written By: Milk on 11/23/17 at 4:31 pm

Played 137 hours of it. I'm pretty much in love.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/24/17 at 8:29 am

Personally I think it's Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It might be Super Mario Odyssey.

Written By: ofkx on 11/24/17 at 3:50 pm

The Last Of Us for me. Although Uncharted 4 and Telltale's The Walking dead are def up there.

Written By: 2001 on 11/26/17 at 8:28 pm

Personally I think it's Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It might be Super Mario Odyssey.

Have you finished Mario? I played it for a couple of hours at a friend's house. Addictive as f*ck.

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/27/17 at 6:59 pm

The Last of Us or the new Zelda game.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 11/27/17 at 9:43 pm

This is kind of a cliche answer, but I'm an Elder Scrolls fanboy, so I have to say Skyrim.

A lot of people think it's overrated, but no one can deny the influence it has had on games this decade.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/27/17 at 11:28 pm

I'm going to say Skyrim.  It's the one game this decade that stands out as being heads above the others and it had a lot of staying power.  I think it's impact was similar to Half Life 2 in the '00s.  Skyrim also kicked off a PC gaming renaissance after several years where the PC platform took a distant back seat to consoles.  I think Breath of the Wild is a contender but unlike Skyrim, it's only available on one platform.  As a series, Call of Duty has ruled this decade and nothing else comes close.  Call of Duty is to the '10s what World of Warcraft was to the '00s.

Written By: duenas8 on 06/12/18 at 2:22 am

Portal 2, Skyrim, The Last of Us, Breath of The Wild, GTA 5 and The Witcher 3 are very awarded. Maybe one of them, let’s see what the rest of 2018 and 2019 give us

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/12/18 at 4:35 am

I'm going to say Skyrim.  It's the one game this decade that stands out as being heads above the others and it had a lot of staying power.  I think it's impact was similar to Half Life 2 in the '00s.  Skyrim also kicked off a PC gaming renaissance after several years where the PC platform took a distant back seat to consoles.  I think Breath of the Wild is a contender but unlike Skyrim, it's only available on one platform.  As a series, Call of Duty has ruled this decade and nothing else comes close.  Call of Duty is to the '10s what World of Warcraft was to the '00s.

Skyrim was ahead of it's time I think others can agree. All the free roaming and dungeon exploration you could want, even if the main storyline was a little...eh.

As much as I loved playing Skyrim, my vote goes to Assassin's Creed. It combined platforming with an RPG feel and they keep coming up with new things to do with these games.

Written By: Elor on 06/12/18 at 5:10 am

Skyrim was ahead of it's time I think others can agree.

Not at all.  ;)
I mean what did Skyrim really improve over for example TES IV Oblivion? Pretty much nothing. Newer Graphics and a larger map, apart from that it was pretty much the same concept just with a weaker story and nonsensical side story which is also implemented so weakly it's embarrassing (I mean the civil war). Nothing really new. I like the game and have over 600 hours on it but I think it is massively overrated. A nice map to explore and that's that. Pretty much no memorable characters (oh those followers.... ::)), forgettable quests that often don't make sense (pick up this, pick up that congratulations you're now a bard / arch mage), a background story that doesn't make sense (white-gold concordat), a marriage system that is so weak and shallow they should have left it out of the game altogether...
I would go as far as saying that the old Fallout New Vegas was the better game. Obsidian has really shown how an open world game can be made interesting with "living" characters.

All the free roaming and dungeon exploration you could want, even if the main storyline was a little...eh.
Nothing new, all been there since Morrowind.

Sorry if I come across like an a$$ but I simply can't understand the hype for that game. In my opinion a good game must have a good story and good characters and Skyrim has neither. It's all just eye candy with a ton of fetch / kill quests.

Written By: Dundee on 06/12/18 at 6:34 am

Flappy Bird

Written By: LooseBolt on 06/12/18 at 3:43 pm

Not at all.  ;)
I mean what did Skyrim really improve over for example TES IV Oblivion? Pretty much nothing. Newer Graphics and a larger map, apart from that it was pretty much the same concept just with a weaker story and nonsensical side story which is also implemented so weakly it's embarrassing (I mean the civil war). Nothing really new. I like the game and have over 600 hours on it but I think it is massively overrated. A nice map to explore and that's that. Pretty much no memorable characters (oh those followers.... ::)), forgettable quests that often don't make sense (pick up this, pick up that congratulations you're now a bard / arch mage), a background story that doesn't make sense (white-gold concordat), a marriage system that is so weak and shallow they should have left it out of the game altogether...
I would go as far as saying that the old Fallout New Vegas was the better game. Obsidian has really shown how an open world game can be made interesting with "living" characters.
Nothing new, all been there since Morrowind.

Sorry if I come across like an a$$ but I simply can't understand the hype for that game. In my opinion a good game must have a good story and good characters and Skyrim has neither. It's all just eye candy with a ton of fetch / kill quests.

Not to mention that not even Oblivion was all that original in that regard. Even Daggerfall from the 90s has that sort of open exploration.

Check for new replies or respond here...