inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think the 2010s culture had the ability to last a little into the 2020s?

Written By: kingofthetemple on 11/23/17 at 3:08 pm

I was wondering this because I honestly don't see how this pc,sjw,feminism style culture can go on any longer than another year or 2.Also trap music probably doesn't have the longevity too to go a little into the 2020s because it's kind of embarrassing.We have to talk about the fact that movies aren't doing too well this year,especially in the summer it was bad so that could solidify change.Trump is already kind of changing culture so I don't see the early 2020s being that similar to 2017,but maybe the early 2020s will be similar to late 2018- on up.It also seems tv in it's current form is almost done because of all the reeboots and remakes,also that means their loosing ideas which may be time for a new style of tv shows soon.And since there really hasn't been any big changes in a while in culture at least I expect/believe big but gradual change in culture starts in 2018.

Subject: Re: Do you think the 2010s culture had the ability to last a little into the 2020s?

Written By: 2001 on 11/23/17 at 3:52 pm

Now that we're in 2018 and the 2010s hasn't shown much signs of abating, I do think there will be a significant 2010s presence in 2020. Mind you, I'm not saying 2020 won't already be distinctly 2020s, I can't say for sure, but I do think there will still be some 2010s hanging around like hipsters, skinny jeans, Netflix and chill and things like that.

Subject: Re: Do you think the 2010s culture had the ability to last a little into the 2020s?

Written By: wixness on 11/23/17 at 4:38 pm

I was wondering this because I honestly don't see how this pc,sjw,feminism style culture can go on any longer than another year or 2.Also trap music probably doesn't have the longevity too to go a little into the 2020s because it's kind of embarrassing.We have to talk about the fact that movies aren't doing too well this year,especially in the summer it was bad so that could solidify change.Trump is already kind of changing culture so I don't see the early 2020s being that similar to 2017,but maybe the early 2020s will be similar to late 2018- on up.It also seems tv in it's current form is almost done because of all the reeboots and remakes,also that means their loosing ideas which may be time for a new style of tv shows soon.And since there really hasn't been any big changes in a while in culture at least I expect/believe big but gradual change in culture starts in 2018.

Maybe, sadly. The politics are shifting a bit more to the right, but people will still hang on to PC culture until we are firmly in the 2020s. I'm more concerned about how the decade has been awful for me in terms of people's aesthetic tastes since 2013 or so, and to me, it isn't likely to go away soon or whatever until maybe the 2020s are established as well.

I'm fearful that if the 2020s do begin, I'll only like a little bit of it, i.e. the transition period even though I hate most of the 2010s.

Written By: pink.panda_v3 on 11/24/17 at 10:06 pm

Maybe. I'm noticing a little shift in music, but nothing drastic.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 11/24/17 at 11:05 pm

I am too.
What's with this "MIC Drop" song I keep hearing about?

Written By: Slim95 on 11/24/17 at 11:10 pm

Now that we're in 2018 and the 2010s hasn't shown much signs of abating, I do think there will be a significant 2010s presence in 2020. Mind you, I'm not saying 2020 won't already be distinctly 2020s, I can't say for sure, but I do think there will still be some 2010s hanging around like hipsters, skinny jeans, Netflix and chill and things like that.

Has the time zone in Toronto suddenly changed and it's 1 month and 6 days ahead of me now? Why am I hearing about this just now?  ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 11/24/17 at 11:11 pm

I'm not.... What changes are you noticing? Music sounds exactly the same it did in the beginning of the year.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/24/17 at 11:14 pm

I do not believe this will be the case. I think there will be a pretty big shift in pop culture around late 2018. Late 2018 to early 2019 may mark the start of early '20s culture. But it's possible, that changes will be very gradual and we will not see a shift next year or in 2019. If this is the case, the 2010s may very well last into the first bit of the '20s and a big transition and shift for the next decade may be around 2021/2022. If this is the case, I can tell you it's going to be a very boring next 5 years in pop culture if we have to endure more of the same of this mediocre culture.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 11/24/17 at 11:43 pm

Trump is already kind of changing culture so I don't see the early 2020s being that similar to 2017,but maybe the early 2020s will be similar to late 2018- on up.

The early '20s are not going to be similar to any year of the '10s, but they will be made up of the TV shows, internet shows, movie series characters, slang, clothing lines, electronics, and book series characters being introduced in this time. The biggest difference between then and now will be the mainstream '90s revival movement. The '20s will be the new '90s. It will feel like we're living in the '90s again with the Roseanne reboot on ABC, the live-action Disney Princess movies in theaters, and Rise of the the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles action figures on toy shelves. At the same time, late Millennials will be obsessed with all things 2000s pop culture. Before 2029, a program set in the 2000s will premiere on TV or online.

Written By: 2001 on 11/25/17 at 12:31 am

Has the time zone in Toronto suddenly changed and it's 1 month and 6 days ahead of me now? Why am I hearing about this just now?  ;D

Same thing lol. When you read an analogue clock and it's 11:59AM, do you say it's 11:59 or do you just say 12? :P

Written By: HeyJealousy on 11/25/17 at 2:27 am

I'm not.... What changes are you noticing? Music sounds exactly the same it did in the beginning of the year.

MIC Drop is a new hit that was just released yesterday, and it does NOT resemble the cookie-cutter trap rap/EDM of the past 2 yrs.
It's electronica mixed with rap, but not mumble jumble like 2 Chainz.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/25/17 at 3:13 am

MIC Drop is a new hit that was just released yesterday, and it does NOT resemble the cookie-cutter trap rap/EDM of the past 2 yrs.
It's electronica mixed with rap, but not mumble jumble like 2 Chainz.

But they aren't a mainstream band on the radio and Top 40. And even so, it doesn't sound different to me at all. Has the same electronic feel as DJ Snake has last year. It sounds similar to Turn Down for What, nothing new. And it's just one song even if it did sound different. Everything is just the same right now as it was for the last two years with no sign of any changes. Maybe late next year or 2019 there will be some hints of change in music, but for now music isn't changing at all. I think we are still in the musical era of 2016 - 2018, and a new era with new music and culture may arrive in 2019.

Written By: kingofthetemple on 11/25/17 at 8:55 am

I do not believe this will be the case. I think there will be a pretty big shift in pop culture around late 2018. Late 2018 to early 2019 may mark the start of early '20s culture. But it's possible, that changes will be very gradual and we will not see a shift next year or in 2019. If this is the case, the 2010s may very well last into the first bit of the '20s and a big transition and shift for the next decade may be around 2021/2022. If this is the case, I can tell you it's going to be a very boring next 5 years in pop culture if we have to endure more of the same of this mediocre culture.
exactly a very boring and souless 5 years what is going on!!!!culture is in a bad place and I know but don't know how we got to this point.Something big needs to occur to wipe out 2010s culture.I really hope 2018 changes everything 2007-2017 has been one big lump of boor.it seems as the decade goes on it gets more boring in some ways.

Written By: pink.panda_v3 on 11/25/17 at 6:06 pm

I'm noticing more Latin Pop and guitars used in songs this year.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/25/17 at 6:23 pm

I've noticed that guitars have had more of an influence on pop releases as well. Hopefully it continues! :)

Written By: Slim95 on 11/25/17 at 6:38 pm

That's not a change... That was popular all this year. In the summer time latin pop was around. Not to mention that genre isn't new at all. Guitars have been awhile for quite some time, not just this year. There are no changes in music and everything you hear on the radio was popular either some time this year or last year. I have no idea what people are talking about when they say they are noticing a shift in music lol.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/25/17 at 6:41 pm

I've noticed that guitars have had more of an influence on pop releases as well. Hopefully it continues! :)

Again, that was popular this year. It's part of late 2010s sound along with everything else released this year. It's nothing new.

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/25/17 at 8:08 pm

I think the change has already happened. I think we may be jumping the gun on 2020s culture in a way we didn't experience in previous decades like the '80s, where the trappings of the previous period just sorta stuck around.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/25/17 at 8:34 pm

Again, that was popular this year. It's part of late 2010s sound along with everything else released this year. It's nothing new.

What? I never said that it was popular any other year?  ???

Written By: Slim95 on 11/25/17 at 8:52 pm

What? I never said that it was popular any other year?  ???

You said that it was a new sound... Which it isn't. Stuff that is popular already early this year is not new, it's the present sound. There's no transition going on, we are simply in the music era of the late 2010s and have been all year. No new sounds coming, latin pop has been around for quite a while.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/25/17 at 8:58 pm

I think the change has already happened. I think we may be jumping the gun on 2020s culture in a way we didn't experience in previous decades like the '80s, where the trappings of the previous period just sorta stuck around.

We did experience it in other decades... The '80s may have stuck around, but '90s and 2000s certainly haven't. The 1990s and 2000s culture started early, late 1998 and late 2008 respectively. As for the change already happened, in reference to what? 2015? Certainly, we are definitely in a brand new era. But we are the same now as we are in late 2016.

Way too many people on this forum think we are either still in the mid 2010s culture or we are in a transitional period and music and culture is changing now, both are dead wrong. We are solidly in late 2010s culture and have been all year. 2016 was a transitional year and that's when the late '10s culture began and the changes were happening. Wasn't huge but the shift definitely happened, especially in music. And we are not in any shift or transition now, this late '10s culture will remain probably until 2019. So to sum this up, we are in late 2010s culture now and NOT transitioning to any new culture and won't for quite some time.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/25/17 at 9:01 pm

You said that it was a new sound... Which it isn't. Stuff that is popular already early this year is not new, it's the present sound. There's no transition going on, we are simply in the music era of the late 2010s and have been all year. No new sounds coming, latin pop has been around for quite a while.

No I didn't.  ??? This was the only thing I typed:

You're obviously confusing me with someone else.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/25/17 at 9:05 pm

No I didn't.  ??? This was the only thing I typed:

You're obviously confusing me with someone else.

Ok you weren't talking about latin pop, but ny point remains... Guitars have been popular for a long time, and have been back in the mainstream this year already so if it continues, this isn't new. It's a product of what was popular early in the year. So it isn't a new sound and we are not in any transition period and won't be for some time.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/25/17 at 9:28 pm

Ok you weren't talking about latin pop, but ny point remains... Guitars have been popular for a long time, and have been back in the mainstream this year already so if it continues, this isn't new. It's a product of what was popular early in the year. So it isn't a new sound and we are not in any transition period and won't be for some time.

I know that, but I never stated that it was a "new sound" to begin with. All I mentioned was that guitars were having a greater presence in more pop songs released this year. Nothing about it being 'new'.

Check for new replies or respond here...