inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What are the popular baby names of the 2010s?

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/30/17 at 6:52 pm

Especially in the last year and some change, I don't know if we have any parents, teachers, or daycare workers here, but has anyone noticed with any interest names that are trending at all? For example, I've heard that the name 'Parker' has been popular for boys lately.

Discuss!

Subject: Re: What are the popular baby names of the 2010s?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 11/30/17 at 7:01 pm

I have a male friend named Parker born in October 1998 (not giving out exact date to protect his identity).

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/30/17 at 7:01 pm

The thing I notice is that the trend of "last names as first names" which started some time ago rolls on unabated. I was never thrilled with it and consider it a little on the pretentious side,  but it's the new normal. Not only Parker, but names like Boone, Brady, Brody, Kennedy, Bailey, Madison, Beckett,, Carson, Taylor, Sawyer, Cooper etc. No offense, of course, if anyone reading happens to have one of those names.  ;)

Written By: 2001 on 11/30/17 at 7:03 pm

Aiden. Every other boy is named Aiden. ;D

There's Jayden, Caden and a few others that end in -en.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 11/30/17 at 7:18 pm

The thing I notice is that the trend of "last names as first names" which started some time ago rolls on unabated. I was never thrilled with it and consider it a little on the pretentious side,  but it's the new normal. Not only Parker, but names like Boone, Brady, Brody, Kennedy, Bailey, Madison, Beckett,, Carson, Taylor, Sawyer, Cooper etc. No offense, of course, if anyone reading happens to have one of those names.  ;)

That's been going on since the 19th century, but it was mostly on boys then.

The first wave of those names took place in the 1980's and the first half of the 1990's I would say.

I would say those are more on the second wave, which has probably went on since the second half 1990's.

My name is a traditional boy's name; I'm not telling which for identity reasons.

Written By: superblyexhausted on 11/30/17 at 7:35 pm

On the SSA's website, you can poke around and find a list of the most popular names in the US by year: https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/popularnames.cgi

For the past few years, the most popular male name has been Noah, and the most popular female name has been Emma, with each representing roughly 1% of newborns in their respective gender.

Written By: 2001 on 11/30/17 at 7:42 pm

On the SSA's website, you can poke around and find a list of the most popular names in the US by year: https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/popularnames.cgi

For the past few years, the most popular male name has been Noah, and the most popular female name has been Emma, with each representing roughly 1% of newborns in their respective gender.

You can tell that millennials are having a lot of babies. These names are so hipster. ;D

Written By: Rainbowz on 11/30/17 at 7:51 pm

You can tell that millennials are having a lot of babies. These names are so hipster. ;D

My real name is actually Emma so it makes sense that the name is hip  ;)

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 11/30/17 at 7:57 pm

I haven't known anyone named Emma yet in real life.

I don't think that I have known anyone named Noah yet in real life either.

Written By: superblyexhausted on 11/30/17 at 7:57 pm

There's more individual variation on a name. Go back just over a decade, to 2005, and the most popular name is assigned to ~1.2% of births of its gender. In 1995, and it averages to ~1.7%. In 1985, it's ~3%, and so on.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/30/17 at 8:01 pm

There's quite an interesting phenomenon here. "Noah" and "Emma" have been transformed into hip or popular names.  I say "transformed", because when I was younger in the 1960s and 70s, "Noah" was considered an old world, Biblical sort of name, and it seemed mostly older Jewish gentlemen had it. And "Emma" was just considered an "old lady" name.  Which would lead me to think the last time "Emma" had been a popular name prior to present times had been in the early part of the 20th Century.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 12/01/17 at 12:40 am

There's quite an interesting phenomenon here. "Noah" and "Emma" have been transformed into hip or popular names.  I say "transformed", because when I was younger in the 1960s and 70s, "Noah" was considered an old world, Biblical sort of name, and it seemed mostly older Jewish gentlemen had it. And "Emma" was just considered an "old lady" name.  Which would lead me to think the last time "Emma" had been a popular name prior to present times had been in the early part of the 20th Century.

Which names were popular for your generation?
I'd say Brian, Kenneth, Lisa, Linda, Teresa, Steven, etc. But that all might depend on where you were raised. Think Tammy, a popular name for middle-aged white women, but primarily those who come from blue-collar backgrounds.
For my generation, it's all Ryan, Kaitlyn, Kaylee, Aaron, Morgan, etc. Kenneth is still around.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 12/01/17 at 1:44 am

Not really, at least where I come from Emma has always been very popular, my cousin born in '92 is called Emma and lots of people around my age are called Emma, Rainbow aswell ;D

Written By: Longaotian00 on 12/01/17 at 1:45 am

;D Nice try, you were born in '02 ;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/01/17 at 5:18 am

If I have a daughter I’ll name her Nancy Emma. But we’ll address her by her middle name and call her Emma or nicknamed Emmy.

When she grows to adulthood she’ll then be known as N. Emma, or N. Emmy.

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/01/17 at 5:21 am

;D Nice try, you were born in '02 ;)

So? Lol I’m still hip regardless. You was born in a different century and millennium yo ass old as hell lol  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/01/17 at 6:50 am

The most popular baby names for 2017 in the UK.

https://www.mumsnet.com/baby-names/most-popular-baby-names-england-wales

Top boys' names 2017

1 Oliver
2 Harry
3 George
4 Jack
5 Jacob

Top girls' names 2017

1 Olivia
2 Amelia
3 Emily
4 Isla
5 Ava 

From https://qz.com/1082778/popular-baby-names-muhammad-is-actually-the-most-boys-name-in-england-and-wales-not-oliver/

"The UK’s national statistics office recently released the latest data on baby names in England and Wales. It says the following: “Oliver remains as the most popular first name given to baby boys in England and Wales in 2016.” But that’s not really true. In fact, the most common name by far is Muhammad. The issue is that Muhammad is not a name native to English, so it has several spellings, or transliterations, from the original Arabic. If you just look at the top 10 baby names in the data for England and Wales, it looks like Muhammad is in eighth place, with 3,908 boys born with that name last year. Looking at the top 100, though, reveals that “Mohammed” is 31st and “Mohammad” is 68th. Add these up, and the total is 7,084, a comfortable lead over the 6,623 Olivers. And there are many, many more spelling variations out there—these are just the ones that appear in the top 100."

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/01/17 at 10:07 am

Which names were popular for your generation?
I'd say Brian, Kenneth, Lisa, Linda, Teresa, Steven, etc. But that all might depend on where you were raised. Think Tammy, a popular name for middle-aged white women, but primarily those who come from blue-collar backgrounds.
For my generation, it's all Ryan, Kaitlyn, Kaylee, Aaron, Morgan, etc. Kenneth is still around.

When I was growing up the names would have been the typical mid-century names. Think Brady Bunch.  :)

As for currently popular names, we've already mentioned "Noah" and you bring up "Aaron". Also popular now are "Jacob" and "Isaac". What's interesting is that these names in mid-20th century still carried a strong Biblical connotation and were considered sedate, formal names, usually had by older Jewish folks, and even then not that many.  Now these names are considered hip and trendy and generally divorced from any Biblical connotation.

Written By: 2001 on 12/01/17 at 10:30 am

The most popular baby names for 2017 in the UK.

https://www.mumsnet.com/baby-names/most-popular-baby-names-england-wales

Top boys' names 2017

1 Olive
2 Harry
3 George
4 Jack
5 Jacob

Top girls' names 2017

1 Olivia
2 Amelia
3 Emily
4 Isla
5 Ava 

From https://qz.com/1082778/popular-baby-names-muhammad-is-actually-the-most-boys-name-in-england-and-wales-not-oliver/

"The UK’s national statistics office recently released the latest data on baby names in England and Wales. It says the following: “Oliver remains as the most popular first name given to baby boys in England and Wales in 2016.” But that’s not really true. In fact, the most common name by far is Muhammad. The issue is that Muhammad is not a name native to English, so it has several spellings, or transliterations, from the original Arabic. If you just look at the top 10 baby names in the data for England and Wales, it looks like Muhammad is in eighth place, with 3,908 boys born with that name last year. Looking at the top 100, though, reveals that “Mohammed” is 31st and “Mohammad” is 68th. Add these up, and the total is 7,084, a comfortable lead over the 6,623 Olivers. And there are many, many more spelling variations out there—these are just the ones that appear in the top 100."

Ah, you made a typo. The top name is Oliver. That threw me off for a sec. ;D

I haven't known anyone named Emma yet in real life.

I don't think that I have known anyone named Noah yet in real life either.

My best friend from high school's name is Emma. She was born 1991. People are naming their children in her honour.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/01/17 at 10:31 am

Ah, you made a typo. The top name is Oliver. That threw me off for a sec. ;D

Fixed and thank you.

Check for new replies or respond here...