inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: There should just be one megathread on "cultural shifts"

Written By: bchris02 on 12/04/17 at 5:10 pm

While I myself enjoy debating cultural shifts and changes in mood and zeitgeist, it seems like every thread is turning into either an argument about whether or not 2008 is part of the cultural 2010s or when the cultural 2020s will begin.  This is largely due to one single poster on this site, who I will not name (most know who I am talking about), who is extremely opinionated and presents his opinions as cold hard facts that absolutely cannot be debated.  If you even try to debate him, he simply will not let it go.  Because of this, I find myself not enjoying posting on this site as much as I once did.

I think each board (1990s, 2000s, and 2010s) should have a stickied mega thread for debating cultural shifts.  That way interesting discussions won't be hijacked by this one poster trying to convince everyone that the 2010s began in 2008 or that the early '10s sucked.

Thoughts?

Subject: Re: There should just be one megathread on "cultural shifts"

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/04/17 at 5:19 pm

I agree. The fact that there are so many threads related to those specific cultural shifts is a real turn-off.

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/04/17 at 5:33 pm

I think this is a good idea. It will be easier to avoid those "shift" threads if some people don't want to see them.

Written By: 2001 on 12/04/17 at 5:37 pm

Wow that drag  :\'(

I think we can agree to just discuss that less often. If not I think this very thread can be used as the megathread.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/04/17 at 5:57 pm

I agree. This should be the thread for cultural shifts. Maybe the mods can combine them all into one if they can.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/04/17 at 7:02 pm

Well if this is the thread, then I will go ahead and post once and for all, when IMO the cultural shifts were. That way I won't have to keep posting it over and over again. I'll go back to 1989.

1989-1992 (The early 90's era) - George Bush Sr's single term, dance music, New Jack Swing, rise of gangsta rap, grunge, Simpsons, Arsenio Hall, Fresh Prince, TGIF, 4th generation/16-bit era of video games (Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Turbo Grafix 16), Batman and Batman Returns (Tim Burton/Michael Keaton), TMNT movies, Bill and Ted and Wayne's World

1993-1996 (The mid 90's era) - Bill Clinton's first term, more grunge (until Kurt Cobain's death) and gangsta rap (2Pac and Biggy), alternative rock/buzz ballads, flannel everywhere, Seattle is the city everyone wants to be, rise of Microsoft and AOL, Friends and Frasier, Beavis and Butthead, Forrest Gump

1997-2000 (The late 90's/Y2K era) - Bill Clinton's second term, Euro dance pop (Aqua, Vengaboys, Eiffel 65, etc.), soft rock like Sugar Ray and Smashmouth, boy bands (Backstreet Boys and NSYNC), teen pop (Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera), Latin pop (J. Lo, Enrique Iglesias), Titanic, Armageddon, Austin Powers, Matrix, PS1 and Nintendo 64 (64 bit era)

2001-2004 (Early 00's/Post 9/11 era) - George W. Bush's first term, of course the culture immediately following 9/11, patriotism, terrorism fears/paranoia, color coded threat levels, glam rap, rock bands like Sum 41, Jimmy Eat World, Nickelback, reality TV, The OC, PS2, Xbox, Nintendo Gamecube

2005-2008 (Mid-to-late 00's era) - George W. Bush's second term, his declining popularity, emo, MySpace/YouTube, dance pop, electro, autotune, snap/ringtone rap, The Office, How I Met Your Mother, Boondocks, Batman Begins and Dark Knight, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3

2009-2012 (Early 10's era) - Barrack Obama's first term, Lady Gaga/Ke$ha, David Guetta, LMFAO, hipsters, The Walking Dead, rise of the Avengers/lots of Marvel movies, smartphones, tablets, Facebook and Twitter

2013-2016 (Mid 10's era) - Barrack Obama's second term, dark times, nation divided, SJW culture, feminism and political correctness, mass shootings, rise of ISIS, BLM, transgender rights, generic pop (Justin Beiber, Taylor Swift), trap rap, Netflix and Hulu exclusives, #SELFIE culture, rise of Millenials

2017-2020 (Late 10's era) - Donald Trump's first term, America becoming great again (lol), well but the music is becoming good again, Ed Sheeran, Chainsmokers, (hopefully not) Net Neutrality, (and hopefully not) possible war, antifa and alt-right cultures, "Fake News" vs. DJT's Twitter news feed, self driving vehicles?

Written By: 80sfan on 12/04/17 at 7:29 pm

1997 to 2001 was heavenly.  8)

Written By: 2001 on 12/04/17 at 8:40 pm

Nostalgic for the late '90s at the moment.

inb4 '1999 is 2000s'.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/04/17 at 9:04 pm

Nostalgic for the late '90s at the moment.

inb4 '1999 is 2000s'.

It was a golden time.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 12/04/17 at 9:10 pm

It was a golden time.  ;D

I want it that way.  :\'(

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/04/17 at 9:35 pm

I agree. It was arguably the most prosperous and safest times in recent history. I remember 1999-2001 decent enough to reminisce about those glory days :\'(.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 12/04/17 at 10:03 pm

Well if this is the thread, then I will go ahead and post once and for all, when IMO the cultural shifts were. That way I won't have to keep posting it over and over again. I'll go back to 1989.

1989-1992 (The early 90's era) - George Bush Sr's single term, dance music, New Jack Swing, rise of gangsta rap, grunge, Simpsons, Arsenio Hall, Fresh Prince, TGIF, 4th generation/16-bit era of video games (Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Turbo Grafix 16), Batman and Batman Returns (Tim Burton/Michael Keaton), TMNT movies, Bill and Ted and Wayne's World

1993-1996 (The mid 90's era) - Bill Clinton's first term, more grunge (until Kurt Cobain's death) and gangsta rap (2Pac and Biggy), alternative rock/buzz ballads, flannel everywhere, Seattle is the city everyone wants to be, rise of Microsoft and AOL, Friends and Frasier, Beavis and Butthead, Forrest Gump

1997-2000 (The late 90's/Y2K era) - Bill Clinton's second term, Euro dance pop (Aqua, Vengaboys, Eiffel 65, etc.), soft rock like Sugar Ray and Smashmouth, boy bands (Backstreet Boys and NSYNC), teen pop (Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera), Latin pop (J. Lo, Enrique Iglesias), Titanic, Armageddon, Austin Powers, Matrix, PS1 and Nintendo 64 (64 bit era)

2001-2004 (Early 00's/Post 9/11 era) - George W. Bush's first term, of course the culture immediately following 9/11, patriotism, terrorism fears/paranoia, color coded threat levels, glam rap, rock bands like Sum 41, Jimmy Eat World, Nickelback, reality TV, The OC, PS2, Xbox, Nintendo Gamecube

2005-2008 (Mid-to-late 00's era) - George W. Bush's second term, his declining popularity, emo, MySpace/YouTube, dance pop, electro, autotune, snap/ringtone rap, The Office, How I Met Your Mother, Boondocks, Batman Begins and Dark Knight, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3

2009-2012 (Early 10's era) - Barrack Obama's first term, Lady Gaga/Ke$ha, David Guetta, LMFAO, hipsters, The Walking Dead, rise of the Avengers/lots of Marvel movies, smartphones, tablets, Facebook and Twitter

2013-2016 (Mid 10's era) - Barrack Obama's second term, dark times, nation divided, SJW culture, feminism and political correctness, mass shootings, rise of ISIS, BLM, transgender rights, generic pop (Justin Beiber, Taylor Swift), trap rap, Netflix and Hulu exclusives, #SELFIE culture, rise of Millenials

2017-2020 (Late 10's era) - Donald Trump's first term, America becoming great again (lol), well but the music is becoming good again, Ed Sheeran, Chainsmokers, (hopefully not) Net Neutrality, (and hopefully not) possible war, antifa and alt-right cultures, "Fake News" vs. DJT's Twitter news feed, self driving vehicles?

I'm sorry to tell you this, but these are the eras:

1990-1992 (The Early '90s/ Bush '90s/The Neon '90s): Turtlemania, New Kids mania, Comic Book films (Dick Tracy, The Rocketeer, and Batman Returns), Public Enemy, The Arsenio Hall Show, New Jack Swing, Dance music, the "Save the Rainforest" movement,  The Wonder Years, Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, Saved by the Bell, Super Mario Brothers cartoons, Bo Knows shirts, Guns 'N Roses, Urkel, Reebok Pumps, Cheers (the last of the Rebecca years), and Usenet

1993-1995 (The Mid '90s): Starbucks, Barneymania, Bill Clinton's first term, Donna Martin graduates, Home Improvement, The Simpsons, Melrose Place, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Martin, Cross Colors, Grohlvana, Pearl Jam, 2pac, Biggie, Snoop Dogg, R. Kelly, Mariah Carey, Boys II Men, TLC, Pulp Fiction,Sonic the Hedgehog, anti-fashion, Prodigy Interactive Personal Service, hemp wear and rave wear

1996-1998 (The Late '90s): Beanie Mania, Beavis and Butthead, The Rachel haircut, The WB, AOL, Aaliyah, Brandy, Sugar Ray, Tommy Hilfiger clothes, M&M commercials, Alanis Morissette, Playstation, Pinky and the Brain, ER, Leonardo DiCaprio movies, and the Seinfeld finale

1999-2001 (Y2K Era/ The Very Early 2000s/ "Ghetto Fabulous" Era): Pokémania, Furby-mania, South Park, Britney Spears, Dru Hill, Usher, N'SYNC vs. Backstreet Boys, the Slim Shady look,  Blink-182, Smashmouth, Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me, Toy Story 2, Harry Potter books, Adam Sandler films, Ben Stiller films, Taco Bell Chihuahua, "Dell Dude" commercials, Gap vs. Old Navy, and Paul Frank shirts

2002-2004 (The post-9/11 Early 2000s/ Early '00s part two): DVD mania, Spongebob mania, Bratz dolls, Abercrombie and Fitch, Lord of the Rings sequels, Harry Potter sequel films, Matrix sequels, Shrek 2, Jennifer Lopez, Christina Aguilera, Jessica Simpson, iPOD, 24, "Make 7 UP Yours" commercials,  Survivor, Jackass, Chuck Taylor All-Stars

2005-2007 (The Mid '00s): XBOX mania, Chappelle's Show, The OC, Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County, The Simple Life,LOST, To Catch a Predator, Kelly Clarkson, Beyoncé, 50 Cent, Justin Timberlake, Heelys, and UGG boots

2008-2010 (The Late '00s): Hannah mania, iPhone mania, Obama-mania, Rihanna, Chris Brown, Facebook, Kanye West, Lil Wayne, Youtube, Friday Night Lights, Big Bang Theory, Gossip Girl, Keeping Up with the Kardashians, The Boondocks,The Dark Knight, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Memes, and Infomercial pitchmen

2011-2013 (The Early '10s): Angry Birds mania, Biebermania, Twilight mania, Glee mania, Twitter, Instagram, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Bronies, Bitcoin, iPads, Occupy Wall Street, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj, Adele, Bruno Mars, Miley Cyrus, Uber, "Keep Calm and Carry On", and Adventure Time

2014-2016 (The Mid '10s/ The SJW Era): Game of Thrones mania, Minecraft mania, Frozen mania, Emojimania, The Voice, Snapchat, Vine, Pitch Perfect 2, Skillrex, Taylor Swift, Lorde, One Direction, Charlie Puth, Kendrick Lamar, Ed Sheeran, #Selfie culture, The Hunger Games Mockingjay Parts one and two, Fifty Shades book series, Ice Bucket challenge, Rick and Morty, Bob's Burgers, "YOLO" shirts, Hulu, BAPE, Billionaire Boys Club, and Obey clothing

2017-2019 (The Late '10s):  MAGA Mania, Stranger Things mania, Fidget Spinner mania, Transgender mania, Empire, trap rap, Amazon Alexa, Apple Watch, Alessia Cara, Cardi B, The Chainsmokers, This is Us, Shawn Mendes, Zayn, Niall Horan, the last two Star Wars sequel trilogy films, UberEATS, AntiSocialSocialClub and Supreme clothing

2020-2022 (The Early '20s): The Boss Baby 2, Riverdale, Cuphead mania?

inb4 '1999 is 2000s'.

https://www.auntyacid.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/url.jpg

Written By: bchris02 on 12/04/17 at 11:36 pm

I'm sorry to tell you this, but these are the eras:

1990-1992 (The Early '90s/ Bush '90s/The Neon '90s): Turtlemania, New Kids mania, Comic Book films (Dick Tracy, The Rocketeer, and Batman Returns), Public Enemy, The Arsenio Hall Show, New Jack Swing, Dance music, the "Save the Rainforest" movement,  The Wonder Years, Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, Saved by the Bell, Super Mario Brothers cartoons, Bo Knows shirts, Guns 'N Roses, Urkel, Reebok Pumps, Cheers (the last of the Rebecca years), and Usenet

1993-1995 (The Mid '90s): Starbucks, Barneymania, Bill Clinton's first term, Donna Martin graduates, Home Improvement, The Simpsons, Melrose Place, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Martin, Cross Colors, Grohlvana, Pearl Jam, 2pac, Biggie, Snoop Dogg, R. Kelly, Mariah Carey, Boys II Men, TLC, Pulp Fiction,Sonic the Hedgehog, anti-fashion, Prodigy Interactive Personal Service, hemp wear and rave wear

1996-1998 (The Late '90s): Beanie Mania, Beavis and Butthead, The Rachel haircut, The WB, AOL, Aaliyah, Brandy, Sugar Ray, Tommy Hilfiger clothes, M&M commercials, Alanis Morissette, Playstation, Pinky and the Brain, ER, Leonardo DiCaprio movies, and the Seinfeld finale

1999-2001 (Y2K Era/ The Very Early 2000s/ "Ghetto Fabulous" Era): Pokémania, Furby-mania, South Park, Britney Spears, Dru Hill, Usher, N'SYNC vs. Backstreet Boys, the Slim Shady look,  Blink-182, Smashmouth, Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me, Toy Story 2, Harry Potter books, Adam Sandler films, Ben Stiller films, Taco Bell Chihuahua, "Dell Dude" commercials, Gap vs. Old Navy, and Paul Frank shirts

2002-2004 (The post-9/11 Early 2000s/ Early '00s part two): DVD mania, Spongebob mania, Bratz dolls, Lord of the Rings sequels, Harry Potter sequel films, Matrix sequels, Shrek 2, Jennifer Lopez, Christina Aguilera, Jessica Simpson, iPOD, 24, "Make 7 UP Yours" commercials,  Survivor, Jackass, Chuck Taylor All-Stars

2005-2007 (The Mid '00s): XBOX mania, Chappelle's Show, The OC, Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County, The Simple Life,LOST, To Catch a Predator, Kelly Clarkson, Beyoncé, 50 Cent, Justin Timberlake, Heelys, and UGG boots

2008-2010 (The Late '00s): Hannah mania, iPhone mania,  Rihanna, Chris Brown, Facebook, Kanye West, Lil Wayne, Youtube, Friday Night Lights, Big Bang Theory, Gossip Girl, Keeping Up with the Kardashians, The Boondocks,The Dark Knight, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, and Infomercial pitchmen

2011-2013 (The Early '10s): Obama mania,Angry Birds mania, Biebermania, Twilight mania, Glee mania, Twitter, Instagram, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Bronies, Bitcoin, iPads, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj, Adele, Bruno Mars, Miley Cyrus, Uber, "Keep Calm and Carry On", and Adventure Time

2014-2016 (The Mid '10s): Game of Thrones mania, Minecraft mania, Frozen mania, The Voice, Snapchat, Vine, Black Lives Matter, Pitch Perfect 2, Skillrex, Taylor Swift, Lorde, One Direction, Charlie Puth, Kendrick Lamar, Ed Sheeran, #Selfie culture, Fifty Shades book series, Ice Bucket challenge, Rick and Morty, Bob's Burgers, "YOLO" shirts, Hulu, BAPE, Billionaire Boys Club, and Obey clothing

2017-2019 (The Late '10s): SJW mania, MAGA Mania, Stranger Things mania, Emojimania, Fidget Spinner mania, Transgender mania, Empire, trap rap, Amazon Alexa, Apple Watch, Alessia Cara, Cardi B, The Chainsmokers, This is Us, Shawn Mendes, Zayn, Niall Horan, the last two Star Wars sequel trilogy films, UberEATS, AntiSocialSocialClub and Supreme clothing

2020-2022 (The Early '20s): The Boss Baby 2, Cuphead mania?

https://www.auntyacid.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/url.jpg

I agree with this for the most part.  I would make the following modifications though.

I think the "SJW era' was the mid '10s.  Caitlyn Jenner, the legalization of gay marriage, the transgender bathroom debate, Christians going ape-sh*t over the rainbow White House, Black Lives Matter, college safe spaces, etc are all things that are associated with the final years of Obama.  The late '10s, thus far, has been a strong backlash against that.  Things were much more uptight and conservative now than they were just a year or two ago.

I would move Lady Gaga to the 2008-2010 era as that was when she was the biggest.  2011's Born This Way was the beginning of the end of Gagamania.  ARTPOP in 2013 flopped.  Katy Perry on the other hand was bigger during the 2011-2013 era.  I think a case could be made that Glee was the biggest in late 2009 and 2010 but I think you are right to place it in the 2011-13 era.  My 2012 move back to rural America where nobody watched Glee (or would admit to it) skews my perception of it's popularity dropping around that time.  Obama-mania also belongs in the 2008-2010 era.  By late 2010 the "Hope and Change" excitement had begun to wear off and Obama's popularity dropped considerably.  2011-2013 was more the era of the Tea Party and Occupy Wall St, which were the precursors to today's MAGA and SJW movements.

I would add A&F mania to 2002-2004.  I debated on whether or not A&F culture was stronger during the Y2K era or the post-9/11 early 2000s but I think 2002-04 was when it was the biggest.

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/04/17 at 11:40 pm

2017-2019 (The Late '10s): SJW mania, MAGA Mania, Stranger Things mania, Emojimania, Fidget Spinner mania, Transgender mania, Empire, trap rap, Amazon Alexa, Apple Watch, Alessia Cara, Cardi B, The Chainsmokers, This is Us, Shawn Mendes, Zayn, Niall Horan, the last two Star Wars sequel trilogy films, UberEATS, AntiSocialSocialClub and Supreme clothing

Weren't SJWs and Emojis already very strong by 2014? I very clearly remember them at the time.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 12/05/17 at 9:27 am

I would move Lady Gaga to the 2008-2010 era as that was when she was the biggest.  2011's Born This Way was the beginning of the end of Gagamania.  ARTPOP in 2013 flopped.

Lady Gaga was the number one female artist of 2009, but she was still a new artist in the late ‘00s.

Written By: ofkx on 12/05/17 at 9:37 am

Why would net neutrality be a bad thing?

Written By: Slim95 on 12/06/17 at 12:53 am

2013 isn't mid 2010s... It is early 2010s and it was a transitional year. The first full mid 2010s year was 2014. If 2013 was mid '10s, then 2003 can be considered mid '00s. Both were transitional years.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/06/17 at 12:57 am

I'm not sure who the unnamed person you are talking about, but all my opinions are opinion only and not facts. Everyone's thoughts on here are opinions, it may seem like I say it is fact because it's not like I can remember to put "imo" at the end of each of my posts. Respect everyone's opinions! Also, I never started a single cultural shift thread except for (2017: A Transitional Year?") and that was a prediction thread. I also never bring up the topic of cultural shifts unless I am replying to someone and they bring it up first. So if you are talking about me, you are wrong. I am not to blame for any of those threads, and it seems you are just annoyed that I have a different opinion from you which isn't good because you should respect everyone's opinions on here.  :)

Written By: Slim95 on 12/06/17 at 1:18 am

Also bChris, are you kidding me right now? How the heck am I trying to convince people the early '10s sucked? You're making up a conspiracy now. It is simply my opinion and I absolutely hate the early 2010s. You just can't accept that it seems and you are trying to say I want to convince people even though I am simply sharing my opinion on the era because I hated it and think it sucks... That's all in your head man.

And the 2010s began in late 2008 because it was a year of change... Deal with it. I will keep saying it because it's true and I'm allowed to express my opinion. Deal with it and respect my opinion. I will continue to say this stuff even outside this thread IF someone else brings it up. I never start those threads, just reply to people which I am allowed to do and will continue to do.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/06/17 at 7:48 am

Why would net neutrality be a bad thing?

I meant net neutrality being taken away.

Check for new replies or respond here...