inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What music artists from 2012/2013 you no longer hear much about/from?

Written By: christopher on 12/11/17 at 1:20 pm

As you've noticed I'm all about early 2010s nostalgia, especially about circa 2013 - my favorite year.
Apart from the notorious decline of Lady Gaga's chart positions since then which singers or bands you rarely ever hear about now or from in the form of new material?
I rarely ever hear about new projects from Bastille and Avicii these days. I know Carly Rae had a comeback hit, but she's no longer a ficture as she was, definitely seems she will be associated for many people with that one hit for a long time. Of course I might be just out of the loop of pop music, so might be wrong.
What artists that were important, big or made a splash circa 2012 and 2013 would you consider one-hit wonders? I think Passenger with Let Her Go would qualify. But this is not just for one-hit wonders but for people that still have hits but lesser ones. I think I haven't heard Lorde's latest material, Lana Del Rey as well, I mean they have released but people no longer discuss those stuff so much, I've heard references only to Despacito. But since some people here are more in tune to post-2014 music, I want your opinions because I want to know what artists to seek for my nostalgia late 2011-early 2014 playlist. :)
Basically what artists or bands you think have seen a decline since then? I also would like not only NA but also European and UK artists mentioned if possible that were/are internationally known. E.g. Olly Murs lastly had a top 5 UK hit in 2014.

Subject: Re: What music artists from 2012/2013 you no longer hear much about/from?

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/11/17 at 5:43 pm

PSY

Subject: Re: What music artists from 2012/2013 you no longer hear much about/from?

Written By: 2001 on 12/11/17 at 6:45 pm

Carly Rae Jepsen is still very popular where I live.

In my head :P

Does B.o.B still make music?

Also, Neon Trees. Their last popular song was "Everybody Talks" in 2012. One of my favourite early '10s bands.  :\'(

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/11/17 at 8:33 pm

PSY

Oooooh, good one. Yeah, unfortunately I think he's a one-hit wonder.

Written By: ofkx on 12/12/17 at 5:44 am

LMFAO. Also Usher, but i'm not sure if he was actually relevant then.

Written By: kr37 on 12/12/17 at 10:27 am

I think LMFAO for sure isn't heard about anywhere near as much anymore. They were such a big deal back in 2012 or so and had multiple popular songs instead of just one. I think Psy's Gangnam Style of course was by far his biggest song, but he has made some others that have been well liked. Gangnam Style was so big I wouldn't have expected him to replicate its success.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/12/17 at 12:08 pm

A good majority of them. One in particular that I can think of that hasn't been mentioned yet is Fun. Another one is Gotye.

Written By: 2001 on 12/12/17 at 1:33 pm

I was going to mention LMFAO, but it's not that you don't hear from them anymore, it's that they broke up, so it's not really the same as falling out of relevance.

I think LMFAO for sure isn't heard about anywhere near as much anymore. They were such a big deal back in 2012 or so and had multiple popular songs instead of just one. I think Psy's Gangnam Style of course was by far his biggest song, but he has made some others that have been well liked. Gangnam Style was so big I wouldn't have expected him to replicate its success.

Yeah, PSY's  "Gentleman" peaked at #5 in the Hot 100 in 2013. He's a bit above one-hit wonder. But 2013/2014 is the last year anyone outside of Korea heard of him.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/12/17 at 2:38 pm

LMFAO. Also Usher, but i'm not sure if he was actually relevant then.

I think the last time Usher was relevant was in 2012 actually. He had a popular song on the radio then it feels like he just dropped off the face of the earth. But he was super popular in the 2000s.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/12/17 at 2:39 pm

Yeah, PSY's  "Gentleman" peaked at #5 in the Hot 100 in 2013. He's a bit above one-hit wonder. But 2013/2014 is the last year anyone outside of Korea heard of him.

No I saw two new music videos by Psy on YouTube like two months ago. I still see him around, but he's not on the radio anymore.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/12/17 at 2:45 pm

The Wanted, Gotye, Fun, LMFAO, Icona Pop, Capital Cities. We also don't hear a lot about Lorde in the mainstream even though she released an album this year.

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/12/17 at 4:07 pm

A good majority of them. One in particular that I can think of that hasn't been mentioned yet is Fun. Another one is Gotye.

Well fun. actually broke up last year when the singer went solo.

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/12/17 at 4:55 pm

Gotye is now somebody that we used to know

Written By: ofkx on 12/13/17 at 5:16 am

The Wanted, Gotye, Fun, LMFAO, Icona Pop, Capital Cities. We also don't hear a lot about Lorde in the mainstream even though she released an album this year.

Her new song has almost 100 mil views though. She's still kinda relevant.

Check for new replies or respond here...