inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Unplugging?

Written By: christopher on 12/13/17 at 11:31 am

Are digital detoxes a thing now?
https://www.highsnobiety.com/2017/11/13/digital-detox-tech-addiction-millennials/

Seems like some people have to pay for it. Well, I did it in 2013. I was depressed, and I've been an Internet addict since 2005. I deleted my Fb and shunned most online media and forums with blocking software and just not using Internet at home a lot. Used a very cheap, small smart phone that made reading web pages not very nice.

The results? Well I was on antidepressants, but I was calmer and felt nice to not follow all the drama and political and other negativity. I get too worked up over bad things happening in the world. I rather focused on being outside and in nature. It was hard keeping up with people but I didn't have any friends then and it was easy to just unplug. I used to read just a few forums but only during working time. I don't know why but the more I am outdoors the better I feel. In 2014 went back to college and the Internet addiction started again lol. I think WiFi at home is worse than cable net as it's not just a matter of unplugging one device and I can't just turn off the WiFi. For me the Internet is like a drug. :D

I think since 2016 maybe such news/media/internet fasts make more sense? I've seen the Internet get even more negative since then, especially news sites. They are no longer readable, except only the cultural/music/tech pages. I'm fed up with this toxic political negativity from all sides, MRAs, SJWs etc. Do you agree?

Subject: Re: Unplugging?

Written By: 2001 on 12/13/17 at 2:23 pm

I took two months off the Internet in early 2014. I just completely stopped. I had productivity blog posts added to Pocket, which I read on my eInk eReader, but that's it. It was okay, I was slightly more productive. But I really enjoyed it when I came back to the Internet after my break and talked to some of my old friends on Facebook. I can't live without Internet ;D

I have found it useful sometimes to take a short break from my biggest time sinks every now and then, when I need to get my life in order. Usually just 3 or 4 weeks is enough. :)

By the way, if you have Windows, get this program called FocusMe. It will lock you out of websites you specify, completely, on ALL browsers. It's impossible to unlock too if you set it up properly.

For Mac, I made my own "FocusMe". I can send the code to anyone who wants it, but unlike FocusMe it's not completely impossible to break it, if you know how to code.  :-[

For Android, I like using the app "Forest". I bought the paid version. It's a cute little app, where you plant a tree, and it grows in 25 minutes, as long as you don't touch your phone for those 25 minutes. The paid version plants a real life tree every time you plant ~50 virtual trees in the app.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/13/17 at 11:43 pm

I wish we can go back to a time where people weren't so obsessed with their phones. I love technology, but the obsession with it is too high in society today. I just find it sad when I'm on the bus and everyone is looking down on their phones or connected to their phones through headphones. We need time to unplug and have moments of nothingness. It's very concerning when people can't function without their cell phone.

Written By: Howard on 12/14/17 at 2:47 pm

I wish we can go back to a time where people weren't so obsessed with their phones. I love technology, but the obsession with it is too high in society today. I just find it sad when I'm on the bus and everyone is looking down on their phones or connected to their phones through headphones. We need time to unplug and have moments of nothingness. It's very concerning when people can't function without their cell phone.

I know just what you mean Slim, it's everywhere nowadays people just can't get away from their smartphones or what I call them "dumbphones", I don't own a smartphone and right now I have no desire at the moment to own one cause I have a regular computer at home that does the very same thing so maybe when my computer at home goes dead for good we will see about me getting a smartphone.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/14/17 at 2:53 pm

On the bus? Try in our living room. When the kids come over, that is pretty much what they do. I understand about checking emails and such but when they spend most of the visit staring at their phones, I think it is rude.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/14/17 at 3:34 pm

On the bus? Try in our living room. When the kids come over, that is pretty much what they do. I understand about checking emails and such but when they spend most of the visit staring at their phones, I think it is rude.

Cat

I know the feeling, most of my family when I come over my uncle's house, most of them after a certain time they just spend most of their time looking at their phones.

Written By: 2001 on 04/25/18 at 12:37 am

I'm taking a small break from this forum and most other forms of social media as a digital detox, until June.

After the Toronto attack, I not only had to see the unthinkable happen in my safe, quiet city, in my favourite neighbourhood in where I've made many memories just 4 km from my workplace, I had to listen all the baseless speculation on social media about how it was ISIS, a white nationalist or whatever pet theory. Then there the dumb tasteless jokes and cheap laughs over regulating trucks instead of regulating guns as the death toll kept climbing. Then there were all the concern trollig comments asking if he white, black, brown, black, green, immigrant, Martian, do Armenians count as white, do Armenians count as Muslim, he's not a Syrian refugee but he looks like one so he may as well be one etc. Who gives a flying TOSS.

The depravity of humanity knows no bounds. There were people with real lives that died that day. And these sick and twisted people only cared about these attacks in so much as it furthered their disgusting political agenda. These people are sick and should be ashamed of themselves.

It turned out the attack had no political motives at all. Now the conversation is radio silent. The people who were hurt were discarded just like that. Only worthy of compassion insofar as it furthers my political agenda. Shameful.  8-P

And now on this very forum there was a poster who tried to imply the entire attack was a hoax and didn't occur. Those people didn't die. Those dead bodies on Yonge Street are fake. Those screaming and crying people waiting to hear news about their missing family members at Sunnybrook Hospital are paid by the government. "Keep an open mind" he/she says. Poster has a history of posting anti-feminist garbage and the attacker, because he is of the same ilk, the poster feels the need to concoct a bizarre conspiracy theory lest his political ideology (which is clearly trash) be under threat. Now those victims aren't even worthy of compassion, they're worthy of contempt, because they're liars, because they're not only not helpful to my political ideology, they're actively harmful to it. That is all that matters in this world. @John Titor you are a sick and disgusting individual but I hope you resolve whatever gave you such utter lack of compassion because it sounds like you've been in dark places.

The Internet is one of mankind's greatest inventions and revolutionized the way we live, but at the same time it has provided an outlet and cesspit for people like Alek Minassian and political ideologues to revel in their filth and to spread it all over. Despite what these vicious people say we should never ever forget that people are PEOPLE. None of this is virtual, the Internet is not real life, people are not cheap political points in your dumb ePenis debate  video game you made for yourself. STOP dehumanizing people!

I can't stand it much longer. That's why I'm taking this break. The Internet is good but I won't ever let it make me forget that people matter more than my politics. I apologize for prefacing my short departure with a long rant but it needed to be said.

RIP to the (as of this writing) 12 good people who lost their lives in Willowdale on that fateful day, and my thoughts are with those who were injured and their loved ones. The day will go down in infamy. Every time I walk that street, which is very often, the thoughts of the scene will haunt me. A neighbour put it succinctly: "Toronto lost its virginity today" :\'(

Written By: Wobo on 04/25/18 at 5:52 am

I'm taking a small break from this forum and most other forms of social media as a digital detox, until June.

After the Toronto attack, I not only had to see the unthinkable happen in my safe, quiet city, in my favourite neighbourhood in where I've made many memories just 4 km from my workplace, I had to listen all the baseless speculation on social media about how it was ISIS, a white nationalist or whatever pet theory. Then there the dumb tasteless jokes and cheap laughs over regulating trucks instead of regulating guns as the death toll kept climbing. Then there were all the concern trollig comments asking if he white, black, brown, black, green, immigrant, Martian, do Armenians count as white, do Armenians count as Muslim, he's not a Syrian refugee but he looks like one so he may as well be one etc. Who gives a flying TOSS.

The depravity of humanity knows no bounds. There were people with real lives that died that day. And these sick and twisted people only cared about these attacks in so much as it furthered their disgusting political agenda. These people are sick and should be ashamed of themselves.

It turned out the attack had no political motives at all. Now the conversation is radio silent. The people who were hurt were discarded just like that. Only worthy of compassion insofar as it furthers my political agenda. Shameful.  8-P

And now on this very forum there was a poster who tried to imply the entire attack was a hoax and didn't occur. Those people didn't die. Those dead bodies on Yonge Street are fake. Those screaming and crying people waiting to hear news about their missing family members at Sunnybrook Hospital are paid by the government. "Keep an open mind" he/she says. Poster has a history of posting anti-feminist garbage and the attacker, because he is of the same ilk, the poster feels the need to concoct a bizarre conspiracy theory lest his political ideology (which is clearly trash) be under threat. Now those victims aren't even worthy of compassion, they're worthy of contempt, because they're liars, because they're not only not helpful to my political ideology, they're actively harmful to it. That is all that matters in this world. @John Titor you are a sick and disgusting individual but I hope you resolve whatever gave you such utter lack of compassion because it sounds like you've been in dark places.

The Internet is one of mankind's greatest inventions and revolutionized the way we live, but at the same time it has provided an outlet and cesspit for people like Alek Minassian and political ideologues to revel in their filth and to spread it all over. Despite what these vicious people say we should never ever forget that people are PEOPLE. None of this is virtual, the Internet is not real life, people are not cheap political points in your dumb ePenis debate  video game you made for yourself. STOP dehumanizing people!

I can't stand it much longer. That's why I'm taking this break. The Internet is good but I won't ever let it make me forget that people matter more than my politics. I apologize for prefacing my short departure with a long rant but it needed to be said.

RIP to the (as of this writing) 12 good people who lost their lives in Willowdale on that fateful day, and my thoughts are with those who were injured and their loved ones. The day will go down in infamy. Every time I walk that street, which is very often, the thoughts of the scene will haunt me. A neighbour put it succinctly: "Toronto lost its virginity today" :\'(

I'm really sorry that you're taking a break if i'm one of the reasons that you're taking break then i'm really sorry please don't leave.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/25/18 at 5:57 am

Take care in all you do.

There are times now, when I think about coming back online after a break.

Written By: Dundee on 04/25/18 at 7:54 am

No wonder as sites like YouTube and Reddit have become a breeding cesspool of alt-right extremism, borderline neo-nazism and other weird paranoias blaming all their problems in life on SJW and the darker skinned. The influence on the younger minded is starting to get out-of-hand which is simply disheartening.

Take care of yourself, Slowpoke.

Written By: Elor on 04/25/18 at 8:04 am

No wonder as sites like YouTube and Reddit have become a breeding cesspool of alt-right extremism, borderline neo-nazism and other weird paranoias blaming all their problems in life on SJW and the darker skinned. The influence on the younger minded is starting to get out-of-hand which is simply disheartening.
I think the extremism goes both ways. There are also plenty of people who blame everything wrong on white males. ;)

@Slowpoke
I hope your time off will be refreshing and easing your mind. Take your time until you feel right again and then come back. :)

Written By: John Titor on 04/25/18 at 8:34 am

Take care in all you do.

There are times now, when I think about coming back online after a break.

That is not what happened, I made a comment about how its weird his head was bald in one shot and in the next had hair, never said the event never happened, and event made a thread about how it was sad

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/25/18 at 3:04 pm

I am sorry you & your community were assaulted. You will be missed but I do understand about unplugging from time to time-I have done that myself. Please hurry back.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 04/25/18 at 3:08 pm

take care Slowpoke and hope to see you soon when you return. :)

Written By: christopher on 04/25/18 at 3:36 pm

I am also quitting the board for wanting a detox and getting my posts ignored in here. I feel so lonely, almost suicidal. :\'( Thanks to the very few that commented on them. I wanted to meet many US friends so if you want to have Fb friends you can send me a PM with your Fb profile so I can add you!

Written By: Elor on 04/25/18 at 4:24 pm

I am also quitting the board for wanting a detox and getting my posts ignored in here. I feel so lonely, almost suicidal. :\'( Thanks to the very few that commented on them. I wanted to meet many US friends so if you want to have Fb friends you can send me a PM with your Fb profile so I can add you!
Don't do anything rash. Killing yourself isn't the solution. I'm lonely in real life too with very few social contacts so I feel you. If you get suicidal thoughts get professional help. I'm in therapy right now and it helps me (most of the time at least...).

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/06/18 at 1:54 am

people matter more than my politics

And that's why we'll be here for you when you come back.

Written By: aja675 on 05/06/18 at 11:44 pm

I'm willing to wait until my hiatus on some other forum to end. I dunno till when it will be, maybe it will end in 2019 or maybe even in the double vision decade. For as long as it takes that people would forget about me so that I could reinvent myself someday. Said forum was really toxic, but I miss my crush and the sheer feeling of this that I had every time I posted there knowing the risk of people just shouting at me again. (I had this effect that people would get so angry with me at even the most innocuous posts.) https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DS63iKJV4AEBK0U.jpg

Written By: christopher on 05/07/18 at 8:57 am

Oh I was like that too, attracting rude people. Lately it's better on forums as I stopped trying to argue with them if they disagree, I just let it go. However, on some Fb groups lots of people are argumentative. I ask someone who will drive in some direction so they can take me and pay their fuel, yet someone says "just take the bus, cheapskate!". People are very rude lately on Facebook. ???

Lately I've gone back to my news website reading addiction and I see it is again triggering my anxiety, especially as commenters there are ***** stupid. I hate Facebook groups even more. It's no wonder this thing even got his subreddit, called NoSurf. It was the best thing I did back in 2013. News make you feel like the whole world is ending.

Written By: aja675 on 05/07/18 at 9:13 pm

I'm willing to wait until my hiatus on some other forum to end. I dunno till when it will be, maybe it will end in 2019 or maybe even in the double vision decade. For as long as it takes that people would forget about me so that I could reinvent myself someday. Said forum was really toxic, but I miss my crush and the sheer feeling of this that I had every time I posted there knowing the risk of people just shouting at me again. (I had this effect that people would get so angry with me at even the most innocuous posts.) https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DS63iKJV4AEBK0U.jpg
But, like, I'm willing to wait for my hiatus to end for a certain person.  :-*

Written By: christopher on 05/08/18 at 6:04 am

I just woke up (at noon !) after a sleepless night. I did web browsing.
Time to install Leech Block and Block Site on FF and Chrome and use the hosts file again. K9 web protection is not enough.
I was supposed to learn web and graphic design, not browse news websites and forums. I guess I'm an all or nothing person, I can't use forums, social media and news websites moderately. I might have Messenger/FB days and avoid it on the others days. But for news websites and forums it's very hard, I'm addicted to them mainly. I want to reclaim my life from this unhealthy addiction and spend more time offline or if online - on actually studying graphic and web design. So buy for now! :)

Written By: 2001 on 06/03/18 at 8:06 pm

My month break was good. I'm thinking of going on another one. While I didn't do so well on my productivity goals, I did become a lot calmer and happier. Also another plus was not hearing about Trump or American politics for a month LOL. That was a huge boost to my sanity ;D

One thing I'm keeping social media around for though is sharing my progress on goals/productivity. I think social accountability keeps me in check.

Written By: Wobo on 06/03/18 at 8:07 pm

My month break was good. I'm thinking of going on another one. While I didn't do so well on my productivity goals, I did become a lot calmer and happier. Also another plus was not hearing about Trump or American politics for a month LOL. That was a huge boost to my sanity ;D

Yeah, that John Titor hasn't been active here for a month also.

Written By: 2001 on 06/03/18 at 8:14 pm

Yeah, that John Titor hasn't been active here for a month also.

Spring vacation.

Written By: Wobo on 06/03/18 at 8:15 pm

Spring vacation.

Lol i guess.

Written By: Wobo on 07/22/18 at 1:10 am

I actually wanna take a break from inthe00s, but i can't honestly. It's too addicting, it's weird because i took an eight month break in late 2016 - mid 2017 from Google+ which i use to use everyday and all day and was addicted to it. But i'll let my interest run its course, i'll probably naturally get bored of this website and not be active anymore.

Written By: aja675 on 07/22/18 at 2:02 am

Oh I was like that too, attracting rude people. Lately it's better on forums as I stopped trying to argue with them if they disagree, I just let it go. However, on some Fb groups lots of people are argumentative. I ask someone who will drive in some direction so they can take me and pay their fuel, yet someone says "just take the bus, cheapskate!". People are very rude lately on Facebook. ???

Lately I've gone back to my news website reading addiction and I see it is again triggering my anxiety, especially as commenters there are ***** stupid. I hate Facebook groups even more. It's no wonder this thing even got his subreddit, called NoSurf. It was the best thing I did back in 2013. News make you feel like the whole world is ending.
Oh, BTW, there was this one time when I made an FB-style update on a thread on another forum where I said I was off to a weekend market and somebody sarcastically said that he hoped no one gets run down by a terrorist van there.

Written By: Wobo on 07/22/18 at 2:27 am

Oh, BTW, there was this one time when I made an FB-style update on a thread on another forum where I said I was off to a weekend market and somebody sarcastically said that he hoped no one gets run down by a terrorist truck there.

Lmfao rotfl.

Written By: christopher on 07/22/18 at 5:34 am

;D ;D funny indeed. That kinda humour is found in automotive  boards as well (TCL). I like them car message boards. Inthe00s is cool too.

I don't like the ones about discussing political and economic stuff. Too much us vs them. I no longer visit conspiracy theory boards, too much racism and hatred (although I admit that Fauxcahontas Warren and OrangeIsTheNewBlack Rachel Doležal memes are funny).

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/22/18 at 7:50 am

Just having a plain old flip phone is a great way to be 'unplugged'.

Written By: Howard on 07/22/18 at 2:10 pm

I actually wanna take a break from inthe00s, but i can't honestly. It's too addicting, it's weird because i took an eight month break in late 2016 - mid 2017 from Google+ which i use to use everyday and all day and was addicted to it. But i'll let my interest run its course, i'll probably naturally get bored of this website and not be active anymore.

What will you do afterwards? ???

Written By: Howard on 07/22/18 at 2:11 pm

Just having a plain old flip phone is a great way to be 'unplugged'.

I have a flip phone too. :)

Written By: annimal on 07/22/18 at 4:03 pm

I got mad and deleted my FB account.  Besides talking to myself,  I couldn't remember what I did to do what things.  I thought the layout sucked

Written By: ofkx on 07/22/18 at 4:19 pm

I took a break from my computer for two weeks and I had so much free time. I spent it all finishing Zelda BOTW, Mario Odyssey, and Mario Kart 8 ;D.

Written By: Wobo on 07/22/18 at 4:23 pm

I took a break from my computer for two weeks and I had so much free time. I spent it all finishing Zelda BOTW, Mario Odyssey, and Mario Kart 8 ;D .

That's nice i might take a break from social media and inthe00s just to play my switch games and watch youtube.

Written By: Wobo on 07/22/18 at 4:25 pm

What will you do afterwards? ???

Watch Youtube videos  :P 

Written By: christopher on 08/05/18 at 2:36 pm

OK, I need a change. I'm addicted to the Internet and I need some control over my life.

- I deleted almost all old emails, will close this email account I had since 2014 or earlier, but too many accounts are associated with it and the spam is huge, I want a new start.
- I opened a new Yahoo! Mail account.
- Deleted all content on LinkedIn.
- Deactivated my Facebook.
- Will close additional 2 emails I used for registering on different sites I no longer use.
- Closed some random accounts. Entered fake names on those that can't be closed. I don't want to have online presence at all actually. I have a rare name, so I dislike being online. #NoSurf
- Closed my Microsoft account.
- Have to close my Apple ID.
- I will block all news websites in English and social media as I'm a news junkie. I will only enable some Spanish language ones as I'm learning Spanish.
- Installed K9 Protection.

Written By: 2001 on 08/05/18 at 4:32 pm

OK, I need a change. I'm addicted to the Internet and I need some control over my life.

- I deleted almost all old emails, will close this email account I had since 2014 or earlier, but too many accounts are associated with it and the spam is huge, I want a new start.
- I opened a new Yahoo! Mail account.
- Deleted all content on LinkedIn.
- Deactivated my Facebook.
- Will close additional 2 emails I used for registering on different sites I no longer use.
- Closed some random accounts. Entered fake names on those that can't be closed. I don't want to have online presence at all actually. I have a rare name, so I dislike being online. #NoSurf
- Closed my Microsoft account.
- Have to close my Apple ID.
- I will block all news websites in English and social media as I'm a news junkie. I will only enable some Spanish language ones as I'm learning Spanish.
- Installed K9 Protection.

Good luck. :)

I have my own convoluted way of reducing Internet time ;D

Written By: christopher on 08/05/18 at 11:06 pm

Thanks! ;)
For me Internet is what alcohol is for an alcoholic. It seriously makes my life less exciting as I forget to enjoy the offline world. I do need to do digital detoxes every now and then. Also, with a very rare name, I prefer to use a nickname and my second family name on the Internet. It's not that I hate having myself out there online, but I'd like it if I was one of the many with said name and not the only person. There's also the thinking "If I'm not famous, why be on the Internet?"

Written By: Howard on 08/06/18 at 5:23 am

Thanks! ;)
For me Internet is what alcohol is for an alcoholic. It seriously makes my life less exciting as I forget to enjoy the offline world. I do need to do digital detoxes every now and then. Also, with a very rare name, I prefer to use a nickname and my second family name on the Internet. It's not that I hate having myself out there online, but I'd like it if I was one of the many with said name and not the only person. There's also the thinking "If I'm not famous, why be on the Internet?"

So what will you be doing in the meantime? ???

Written By: xris on 08/07/18 at 9:42 am

Going out mostly, hiking, walking around town, watching TV, learning Spanish online (I can block just the most time-wasting websites).
Look, I'm so addicted I came back, but only to answer this. You can't imagine how addicted I am to web forums. I like doing NoSurf also for privacy reasons as I've been stalked before. ;)

Written By: Wobo on 08/09/18 at 8:16 pm

Had a four and a half week break, i gotta say it was pretty awesome.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/10/18 at 12:48 am

I prefer this Unplugged.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-w2p1Sh3tEsOvNvT-sgMmgR6IYdt2QCvP_Y_wMAHgBRJ9rLuR

Written By: xris on 08/10/18 at 3:42 am

Everytime I have a web addiction streak I remind myself of all the ppl that miss out on life doing so and either:
1. Continue to do so
2. Snap like Elliot Rodger (he was living predominantly online)

I mean the Internet is wonderful -- I can download or watch TV shows, songs, and movies from the past. Thus I can watch them instead of hope for a rerun on TV and avoid the commercials. I'm also addicted to TV btw, so this way is better. I can also connect to ppl from all over the world and make new friends in a new town.

However, I was fired recently because I was too tired to work due to chronic lack of sleep 'cause late-night surfing. Also, I often forget to do the important things online like learn Spanish or sth else. Those past two days I'm downloading photos from other cities in my country as I wish to relocate... ;D I'm addicted to news websites and forums the most, but also to social media. Well at least I am no longer angry like before when I used to get in online fights with people. I just no longer reply to trolls on news websites. The negativity there is too much.

Written By: wixness on 08/10/18 at 6:05 am

I try to keep my activity focused on between 3-5 websites, mostly because of political stuff I can't bear to deal with. I'm trying to make better use of my time on a computer though, like learning a game engine and watching a TV series. As for phones I prefer not to spend so much time on them anyway because of how long it takes for me to write on them compared to a computer keyboard.

Written By: aja675 on 08/10/18 at 6:11 am

As for me, I'm teaching myself to chase positive attention, because I've pissed away my reputation on half the forums I've ever visited by acting like this: LZ91tjeG-Ws

Written By: Howard on 08/10/18 at 7:23 am

Had a four and a half week break, i gotta say it was pretty awesome.

How are you feeling?

Written By: Howard on 08/10/18 at 7:26 am

I think the only times I was unplugged was during those blackouts but as for me I don't think I've ever been unplugged, I always feel the need to be online almost all the time cause I feel I might miss something.

Written By: 2001 on 08/10/18 at 11:18 am

I wrote a script on my phone where I have to wait 1 hour before I'm allowed to go on the Internet for 15 minutes. Usually I find something else to do and forget I wanted to go on the Internet.

Most my browsing is impulsive, and if something catches my interest, I could find myself on the Internet for hours rather than the planned 5-10 minutes.  :-[

Written By: aja675 on 08/10/18 at 10:28 pm

As for me, I'm teaching myself to chase positive attention, because I've pissed away my reputation on half the forums I've ever visited by acting like this: LZ91tjeG-Ws
Possible titles for a movie inspired by my online career: Confessions of a Post-Teenage Internet Gimp                                                      50 Shades of Internet Forums

Written By: aja675 on 08/11/18 at 5:28 am

Speaking for myself, I'm currently using my accounts on two sites I had known of but barely used. And trying to teach myself how to get high on positive attention instead of getting high on negative words like some kind of emotional bondage enthusiast.

Written By: aja675 on 08/11/18 at 7:17 am

I wrote a script on my phone where I have to wait 1 hour before I'm allowed to go on the Internet for 15 minutes. Usually I find something else to do and forget I wanted to go on the Internet.

Most my browsing is impulsive, and if something catches my interest, I could find myself on the Internet for hours rather than the planned 5-10 minutes.  :-[
Wait, so you now only use the Internet 15 minutes a day, or 15 minutes per hour?

Written By: xris on 08/11/18 at 11:46 am

Back when it happened, I did a lot of reading about the UCSB massacre committed by sexually frustrated loner & Web addict Elliot Rodger. He has left a huge internet footprint of photos, videos, forum posts and general ramblings all over various websites.

The worrying thing is that I've read similar posts to Elliot Rodger's on many forums & in news websites'comment sections from guys who can't get a girlfriend (or rather are unlucky to find one, love is ALL about luck!) and who are online literally all day. I've seen lots of angry posters who indulge in torture fantasies and casual racism/anti-semitism. Heck, there are BDSM and sexual drawings of popular cartoon characters, and even of Stef from Lazytown! ;D

When you meet someone online with similar views to yourself, it validates them to a certain extent and you no longer feel crazy or alone. It's comforting to know there are others out there who think like you. This is dangerous and gives confidence to nutters who possess a deep hatred for women/Jews/Mexicans/Eastern Europeans/Roma etc. The constant inflow of negative news doesn't help, it can give you warped worldview, like the world is going to end tomorrow, all doom & gloom.

What can we do when we come across posters like this? How do we know if they are a serious threat to society? I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would have laughed if they read Elliot Rodger's diatribes and not taken him seriously.

Written By: Howard on 08/11/18 at 2:09 pm

I feel the same way, sometimes I might spend hours on the internet.

Written By: Wobo on 08/29/18 at 7:21 pm

I start school on tuesday and i'm planning to take a long break from inthe00s (meaning i probably won't comeback until next year) starting on the day, i'm just trying to keep myself from being addicted to this website since i'm on it 24/7

Written By: 2001 on 08/29/18 at 7:36 pm

I start school on tuesday and i'm planning to take a long break from inthe00s (meaning i probably won't comeback until next year) starting on the day, i'm just trying to keep myself from being addicted to this website since i'm on it 24/7

Always put your studies first, it will make your future life soooo much easier. Best of luck Wobo and I wish you a good start to your high school career! ;)

Written By: Howard on 08/30/18 at 7:37 am

Good Luck Wobo! O0

Written By: 2001 on 04/02/19 at 5:07 pm

I am planning on taking a spring break from  inthe00s/Popedia. I'll be back on May 1st, but I might extend it to June. Hopefully you will all still be here when I get back ;D (I reserve the right to post spring pics in the nature pics thread).

I will still be available on Discord. See you all soon. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/02/19 at 5:15 pm

I am planning on taking a spring break from  inthe00s/Popedia. I'll be back on May 1st, but I might extend it to June. Hopefully you will all still be here when I get back ;D (I reserve the right to post spring pics in the nature pics thread).

Have fun & stay safe. We will miss you.

Cat

Written By: Elor on 04/03/19 at 11:18 am

We'll be here....most likely. ;)

Written By: Howard on 04/03/19 at 3:07 pm

Take care and see you soon. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/06/19 at 3:15 pm

Take good care in all you do.

Due personal circumstances I am on and off in attendance here,

Written By: cowboy on 04/08/19 at 10:21 am

Oh, take care! :) As a techie you must know when it gets too much.
I also plan to cut out my use of social media and forums in order to focus on studying (irconically programming and tech stuff). But to be honest, it was online news and social media that made me ditch any tech studies. If I wasn't as addicted to them, I'd be a programmer by now. ::)

Written By: 2001 on 07/07/19 at 8:44 am

Just taking another 3 week break. I'm only posting this publicly because I think it holds me accountable. I need to focus on some personal goals. See you all soon. :)

Written By: Howard on 07/07/19 at 2:42 pm

Just taking another 3 week break. I'm only posting this publicly because I think it holds me accountable. I need to focus on some personal goals. See you all soon. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/19 at 6:49 am

Take good care!

Written By: 2001 on 08/01/19 at 2:38 pm

Take good care!

Thanks! (and thanks to @AmericanGirl). I am back :D

In the past 3 weeks I read a lot more books. I read for 3 to 5 hours a day now (I'm including audiobooks in that number). It's been really relaxing.

I also stopped reading the news daily. I still have my weekly Economist subscription, but that's it. I feel a lot calmer.

I always aimed to go to the gym 6 times a week, but I'd usually land somewhere in the 3-5 range, and I was content with that. But in the past 3 weeks I've managed to go 6 times a week for all three weeks. I even made some friends at the gym, it's a lot more exciting now.

My cooking skillz are getting better too. If I wasn't too lazy to shop for groceries this would be a lot easier. I watch tons of cooking videos on YouTube, it's my new addiction along with reading.

I also told myself I would 30 minutes of a French book everyday, and I'm proud to say I did that consistently for the past 3 weeks.

I feel like taking another month break, or maybe drop by every Sunday for a short bit, but cutting off (most) the Internet has been an ultra positive experience thus far.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/19 at 8:01 am

In the past 3 weeks I read a lot more books. I read for 3 to 5 hours a day now (I'm including audiobooks in that number). It's been really relaxing.

I also stopped reading the news daily. I still have my weekly Economist subscription, but that's it. I feel a lot calmer.

I always aimed to go to the gym 6 times a week, but I'd usually land somewhere in the 3-5 range, and I was content with that. But in the past 3 weeks I've managed to go 6 times a week for all three weeks. I even made some friends at the gym, it's a lot more exciting now.

My cooking skillz are getting better too. If I wasn't too lazy to shop for groceries this would be a lot easier. I watch tons of cooking videos on YouTube, it's my new addiction along with reading.

I also told myself I would 30 minutes of a French book everyday, and I'm proud to say I did that consistently for the past 3 weeks.

I feel like taking another month break, or maybe drop by every Sunday for a short bit, but cutting off (most) the Internet has been an ultra positive experience thus far.

Good to see you back, Slowpoke!  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/19 at 6:49 am

I find reading hard now, like I used to in the past, I would finish three in one week.

...I prefer to view the film!

Written By: 2001 on 10/08/19 at 10:15 pm

I've been on and off the Internet (social media/reading the news) for the past 3 months now. I do feel like a better person.

I learnt more JavaScript (a programming language), particularly Express (for building websites) and Node.js (for, idk, pure nerdery). I even uploaded a few projects on Github. I've actually always wanted to start my own business/earn money from selling an app or website instead of employment, but I'm usually so exhausted from work that I didn't have the time/energy to code anything, but now I usually have that time. I try to write a small amount everyday, 30-50 lines of code. Hopefully I make something cool eventually.

I'm thinking about learning C++ (another programming language). I want to buy an Arduino (a mini-computer) and start making cool stuff with it–not for employment, it just sounds like a fun hobby to get into. :D

As can be surmised from the reading books thread, I've been reading tons! And in French too.

I've been getting more sleep. I used to average 6-6.5 hours of sleep a day. According to the Sleep app on Android, I've been average 7.3 hours the past two weeks.

Not reading the news (I still have my Economist subscription though) might be favourite one of all. I love it when someone asks me if I heard this or that Trump scandal or culture war outrage and I say "no". I knew if it was 4 months ago I would have been angry too, but now I get to evaluate whether the latest outrage is relevant to my life or not and worth spending energy on (it usually isn't).

I'm trying to think of a few more things, but there's so much that's changed that I don't know where to begin... Even my room is cleaner. My social and sex life has improved. I don't wear the same shirt twice because I don't skip laundry day anymore. There's just so much going on, LOL. I'm going to continue with keeping my social media/Internet usage to a minimum I feel like I'm going places. :)

Written By: annimal on 10/08/19 at 10:24 pm

^ cool

I'm still here and I don't see a reason to take a break from here now.

Written By: Howard on 10/09/19 at 7:35 am

I've been on and off the Internet (social media/reading the news) for the past 3 months now. I do feel like a better person.

I learnt more JavaScript (a programming language), particularly Express (for building websites) and Node.js (for, idk, pure nerdery). I even uploaded a few projects on Github. I've actually always wanted to start my own business/earn money from selling an app or website instead of employment, but I'm usually so exhausted from work that I didn't have the time/energy to code anything, but now I usually have that time. I try to write a small amount everyday, 30-50 lines of code. Hopefully I make something cool eventually.

I'm thinking about learning C++ (another programming language). I want to buy an Arduino (a mini-computer) and start making cool stuff with it–not for employment, it just sounds like a fun hobby to get into. :D

As can be surmised from the reading books thread, I've been reading tons! And in French too.

I've been getting more sleep. I used to average 6-6.5 hours of sleep a day. According to the Sleep app on Android, I've been average 7.3 hours the past two weeks.

Not reading the news (I still have my Economist subscription though) might be favourite one of all. I love it when someone asks me if I heard this or that Trump scandal or culture war outrage and I say "no". I knew if it was 4 months ago I would have been angry too, but now I get to evaluate whether the latest outrage is relevant to my life or not and worth spending energy on (it usually isn't).

I'm trying to think of a few more things, but there's so much that's changed that I don't know where to begin... Even my room is cleaner. My social and sex life has improved. I don't wear the same shirt twice because I don't skip laundry day anymore. There's just so much going on, LOL. I'm going to continue with keeping my social media/Internet usage to a minimum I feel like I'm going places. :)

Good to see you back. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/19 at 9:36 am

..and good luck in all you do.

I 'unplugged' yesterday, and fancy it today, but you know can tell what happened.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/24/19 at 11:58 am

My previous last few days was spent unplugged, except for the use of Netflix, especially for my granddaughter. It was a wonderful time spent, away from it all, I recommend it.

Written By: Howard on 10/25/19 at 7:34 am

My previous last few days was spent unplugged, except for the use of Netflix, especially for my granddaughter. It was a wonderful time spent, away from it all, I recommend it.

I know, many people are just way too addicted to their social media.

Written By: 2001 on 10/25/19 at 6:02 pm

I know, many people are just way too addicted to their social media.

That would be me. I'm a social media addict (I'm including inthe00s in my definition of social media).

What I find has been working for me is if I go on social media one day, I try to take the next day off completely. I hope that eventually breaks the habit.

Written By: 2001 on 12/11/19 at 8:49 am

Not sure if anyone noticed that I was away for a week or two. I wrote about my experiences on Popedia and I think people here might find it of interest (or not, whatever  ;D)

In particular, I'm interested in what older members who remember life before cellphones and Internet have to say.  ???

----

Post 1 (30 November 2019):

"I've been reading the book Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport and it has an interesting philosophy towards tech that is the complete opposite of how I've seen it thus far.

Anyway, it does encourage a 30-day "digital detox" in order to help see things from the author's perspective, and that is what I'll be doing. I will see you all in the new decade.

Happy holidays, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year (and decade). :)

------

Post 2 (10 December 2019):

To be honest, this proved a lot more difficult than I was expecting. I guess it was easier the other times because I had goals in mind like learning how to cook, learning a new programming language etc. while this time it was more of a dry run.

But also, in the book, it recommended replacing digital time with real-life socializing. I don't know if this is because it's winter but this was heartbreakingly difficult. All my friends seemed to be busy and not very interested in going out, and I was left to ruminate with my thoughts alone and I started to feel very lonely, and even started to despair.  :(

That's probably the whole point—that we shouldn't use social media as a replacement for real socializing—but I didn't like the dark places my mind was wandering to in the absence of any socializing at all.

I really do want to face reality eventually... Even though I only succeeded for all of 6-7 days (not sure if anyone noticed me lurking) it was a huge eye-opener, to the state of my social life and also how addicted I (and others) are to technology.

But I was unable to quit cold turkey, even for just a temporary amount of time. I have A LOT of my own criticisms of the book, but I still want to give it a fair chance by implementing its strategies of making time for real life socializing, finding non-digital and crafty hobbies, going on long walks outside without your phone etc. But I might have to implement it piecemeal instead of all at once, since that ended up being too disruptive and difficult.

----

Post 3 (11 December 2019) in reply to SharksFan99:

My plan was actually in the long run to limit social media use, maybe to once a week or once a month, instead of 30 days on and off.

There was one science-based fact in the book (my biggest criticism of the book was the lack of a scientific approach), and that's when the human brain is resting or otherwise lost in thought (daydreaming), it almost always thinks about socializing. Telling test subjects to "relax" or do nothing in particular activated the parts of the brain responsible for socializing, even when there was no other person there. Human beings are social animals and it's very much reflected in our brain structure. (Look up "default system" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Default_mode_network ).

The problem for me was when I was "default"ing I was always daydreaming about posting on our Discord or texting somebody. It became incredibly hard to resist , especially when my phone or computer were right in front of me. I thought if I socialized with people IRL I could redefine my default mode, but I didn't get much of a chance. Talking to strangers about the weather or with coworkers about work was simply inadequate. I tried to socialize with my brother but he was too into his video games/tech himself.

I had some surreal experiences during this detox. One was at the work cafeteria. I bought myself a coffee and tried to make small talk with people, kind of like I would 10 or even 5 years ago (probably weird for a 16 year old in 2009 but I didn't have a cellphone and kept my iPod at home). Everyone else however was glued to their screens or had their headphones on. At best I could get a two word reply out of people before they were back to what they were doing. I felt like an alien from outer space, because all I was doing was staring at people. I felt like the weird one for not having my phone out. It took a lot of willpower on my part to not flip my phone out and join the rest of the zombie masses.

I agree with you about not using the book as an instruction manual. That was actually my main criticism of the book and why I gave it a 3 star (now 2 star) review on Goodreads. It felt like the author had a disdain for any hobby that was unlike his. I code and read books as a hobby and he basically said it didn't count because it had no physical manifestation. That really peeved me. It was as if he was telling that there's only one proper way to live life. But the more time passes the more I'm starting to think he had a point. All this digital stuff is an offence to our brain which evolved in an environnent which demands real socializing, real craftsmanship, and a real understanding of the world around us.

These digital pastimes sound like a good idea if they're one offs, but I don't think a single one of us when we first picked up an iPhone or created a Facebook account in the late 2000s signed up for spending 2 hours+ a day (which I heard is the average now) on these devices/services 10 years later. I personally am very pessimistic of the world we're headed into.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/11/19 at 10:01 am

...In particular, I'm interested in what older members who remember life before cellphones and Internet have to say.  ???

I think I might be qualified to answer this  ;D

It might be hard to visualize life before cellphones.  (Life before internet is a different story.)  As much as cellphones have been a convenience, they threw a major monkey wrench into civilized society as I "knew" it.  When cellphones were first introduced, their primary purpose was a means of making emergency calls without the need for a public phone (generally an improvement).  "Dumb cell phones" were not a societal upheaval, more of a convenience.  Although I always found it weird walking down a grocery aisle and hearing a stranger talking to nobody, until I see the phone in their clutches.  Oh well.  Then cell phone manufacturers started adding things - first storage, then cameras, then texting, then email, then touch screens, then browsers, then social media and apps apps apps, and suddenly the "little convenience" becomes "a world in your hands".  Our new drug.  Now small talk becomes much less interesting than seeing what is posted on Instagram.  Now we quit conversing in favor of more texting.  That's when we started walking mindlessly around, glued to our phones, oblivious to what is going on around us (unless there is enough commotion for us to video it).  Not just one person, but each person around them.  This renders small talk practically dead.  Small talk shouldn't die - it is the best safe way for us to get to know one another in person, to go from strangers to acquaintances.  For all of the romantic relationships I've had in my life (including my husband) small talk is the way we were able to get a sense of one another in the beginning.  As insignificant as small talk can be, it serves an important function in our social lives.  It shouldn't be replaced by technology.  That's my rant and I'm sticking with it.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/11/19 at 10:14 am

It might be hard to visualize life before cellphones.  (Life before internet is a different story.)  As much as cellphones have been a convenience, they threw a major monkey wrench into civilized society as I "knew" it.  When cellphones were first introduced, their primary purpose was a means of making emergency calls without the need for a public phone (generally an improvement).  "Dumb cell phones" were not a societal upheaval, more of a convenience.  Although I always found it weird walking down a grocery aisle and hearing a stranger talking to nobody, until I see the phone in their clutches.  Oh well.  Then cell phone manufacturers started adding things - first storage, then cameras, then texting, then email, then touch screens, then browsers, then social media and apps apps apps, and suddenly the "little convenience" becomes "a world in your hands".  Our new drug.  Now small talk becomes much less interesting than seeing what is posted on Instagram.  Now we quit conversing in favor of more texting.  That's when we started walking mindlessly around, glued to our phones, oblivious to what is going on around us (unless there is enough commotion for us to video it).  Not just one person, but each person around them.  This renders small talk practically dead.  Small talk shouldn't die - it is the best safe way for us to get to know one another in person, to go from strangers to acquaintances.  For all of the romantic relationships I've had in my life (including my husband) small talk is the way we were able to get a sense of one another in the beginning.  As insignificant as small talk can be, it serves an important function in our social lives.  It shouldn't be replaced by technology.  That's my rant and I'm sticking with it.

OK, Boomer  ;D  (I beat the rest of you to it  ;) )

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/11/19 at 4:59 pm

Not sure if anyone noticed that I was away for a week or two. I wrote about my experiences on Popedia and I think people here might find it of interest (or not, whatever  ;D)

In particular, I'm interested in what older members who remember life before cellphones and Internet have to say.  ???

I noticed.

What did I do before the internet? I watched A LOT of t.v. (probably more than I should have). I read, and I had a word processor that I now refer to as my old dinosaur and when I wasn't in school, I wrote and I wrote and I wrote.

I don't have a smart phone. I have a dumb phone that I only carry with me when we travel. (I put call forwarding on our house phone to it.) I usually use a desktop computer which I usually turn on about 1 in the afternoon or so and turn it off about 8. I do have a tablet that I read the Washington Post on in the mornings and I play games on it in the evening after dinner & before bed. I also have a laptop that goes with us when we travel. Oh, and I still read and write-just not as much but I'm hoping to change that.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/11/19 at 8:11 pm

It might be hard to visualize life before cellphones.  (Life before internet is a different story.) 

I'm actually just the opposite.  I could live without cell/smart phones but at this point I don't think I could do without the internet.

Social media is insignificant to me. I don't bother with it. Lest you think I am old and uninformed, think again. In fact I probably have a more balanced picture of current events than many people who get their news on social media. Especially Facebook, which, as we all know, gives you the news you want to hear. I make it my business to read/watch/hear things I agree with and things I disagree with. "Know your enemy" as the old saying goes. I come from a generation that was not afraid to have it's feelings hurt and it's ideas challenged and expanded. Nowadays it seems everybody is in their own silo, their own echo chamber. Break out of it! "Break on through to the other side" sang the Doors, one of the great bands of my OK Boomer generation. Then you will experience true liberation, my friends.

Written By: 2001 on 12/11/19 at 9:05 pm

I couldn't have said it better. I had a conversation with my dad and he said much the same thing about phones. He said in the 1980s he had a suitcase-looking device for a phone, and a phone in his car. In the late 1990s I remember calling him on his cellphone (which was one of those ones with the retractable antennas) for frivolous reasons such as telling him I missed him and what he was up to at work, and he would get angry at me since call rates were still very expensive. I think this is the part of your post where phone calls were strictly for emergencies. The rest, as they say, is history.

Speaking of relationships, I heard my university's campus bar closed down last year and was replaced with a café. I remember going there a lot with my friends to help them pick out girls. I don't remember going there much after Tinder came onto the scene in 2013, I wouldn't be surprised if smartphones were a big reason for its demise.

I noticed.

What did I do before the internet? I watched A LOT of t.v. (probably more than I should have). I read, and I had a word processor that I now refer to as my old dinosaur and when I wasn't in school, I wrote and I wrote and I wrote.

I don't have a smart phone. I have a dumb phone that I only carry with me when we travel. (I put call forwarding on our house phone to it.) I usually use a desktop computer which I usually turn on about 1 in the afternoon or so and turn it off about 8. I do have a tablet that I read the Washington Post on in the mornings and I play games on it in the evening after dinner & before bed. I also have a laptop that goes with us when we travel. Oh, and I still read and write-just not as much but I'm hoping to change that.

Cat

Your latter paragraph is what I'm aspiring to at the moment ;D (except the tablet games part – I don't like mobile games  :-X)

I'm actually just the opposite.  I could live without cell/smart phones but at this point I don't think I could do without the internet.

Social media is insignificant to me. I don't bother with it. Lest you think I am old and uninformed, think again. In fact I probably have a more balanced picture of current events than many people who get their news on social media. Especially Facebook, which, as we all know, gives you the news you want to hear. I make it my business to read/watch/hear things I agree with and things I disagree with. "Know your enemy" as the old saying goes. I come from a generation that was not afraid to have it's feelings hurt and it's ideas challenged and expanded. Nowadays it seems everybody is in their own silo, their own echo chamber. Break out of it! "Break on through to the other side" sang the Doors, one of the great bands of my OK Boomer generation. Then you will experience true liberation, my friends.

I actually don't use "social media" much either–at least if we're talking about the usual culprits like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. which make more money the more time and energy you spend on it (a recipe for misery if you're the user). My main affliction is this site and a couple of other forums, and more recently Discord (which is similar to the MSN/Yahoo/AOL chatrooms of yesteryear).

I strongly agree with you when it comes to the news and social media. I used to browse a very left-wing gaming forum, and it only took a few months break from it for me to realize how on-edge and angry everyone is on there all the time for no good reason. The news gets cherry-picked to feed into the rage machine. I think I mentioned in the rants thread how I got banned for a week there for "promoting homophobia" (even though I am gay myself). It has really gone off the deep end.

I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that I now get all my news from a traditional newspaper now and keep my news consumption to a minimum otherwise (especially on social media). This 2019 election we had went by very peacefully for me, I didn't find any of the candidates particularly offensive (except the one that didn't win any seats anyway), unlike the 2015 election where I hated everyone and was terrified and was seriously considering moving to Florida. ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/12/19 at 7:13 am

It might be hard to visualize life before cellphones. (Life before internet is a different story.)  As much as cellphones have been a convenience, they threw a major monkey wrench into civilized society as I "knew" it.  When cellphones were first introduced, their primary purpose was a means of making emergency calls without the need for a public phone (generally an improvement).  "Dumb cell phones" were not a societal upheaval, more of a convenience.  Although I always found it weird walking down a grocery aisle and hearing a stranger talking to nobody, until I see the phone in their clutches.  Oh well.  Then cell phone manufacturers started adding things - first storage, then cameras, then texting, then email, then touch screens, then browsers, then social media and apps apps apps, and suddenly the "little convenience" becomes "a world in your hands".  Our new drug.  Now small talk becomes much less interesting than seeing what is posted on Instagram.  Now we quit conversing in favor of more texting.  That's when we started walking mindlessly around, glued to our phones, oblivious to what is going on around us (unless there is enough commotion for us to video it).  Not just one person, but each person around them.  This renders small talk practically dead.  Small talk shouldn't die - it is the best safe way for us to get to know one another in person, to go from strangers to acquaintances.  For all of the romantic relationships I've had in my life (including my husband) small talk is the way we were able to get a sense of one another in the beginning.  As insignificant as small talk can be, it serves an important function in our social lives.  It shouldn't be replaced by technology.  That's my rant and I'm sticking with it.

AG, I can remember a time when we didn't have cellphones and people had face to face conversations with each other instead of talking to each other on a silly app.

Written By: Howard on 12/12/19 at 7:15 am

I noticed.

Cat

What did I do? I watched TV and got my everyday news from TV and the newspaper.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/12/19 at 12:33 pm

FYI EVERYONE:  THIS message board IS social media. It may not be as popular as Facebook but social media it is. 

Your latter paragraph is what I'm aspiring to at the moment ;D (except the tablet games part – I don't like mobile games  :-X)

I bought the tablet and loaded games on it as a means to pass the time while waiting in airports. They are not games to play against anyone-they include solitaire card games (I play a lot of Free Cell), and puzzle games. I do confess that I also play a lot of slot games.  :-[  I have to get my fix in between my visits to casinos.  :D ;D ;D ;D  And of course reading the Washington Post. I do have a few books on it. I also use it in a pinch if I can't get to my desktop/laptop easily for checking email, weather, look something up, and of a course a certain message board to make sure there are no spammers.  ;) But, I don't use it to surf the web.

Cat

Written By: imrane on 01/26/20 at 6:53 pm

If I didn't read so many news websites and forums I'd be an artist or a singer by now.  :) Seriously, I need a digital detox. It's almoat 3 am in the morning here and I've been online almost all day!

Written By: Howard on 01/27/20 at 5:15 am

If I didn't read so many news websites and forums I'd be an artist or a singer by now.  :) Seriously, I need a digital detox. It's almoat 3 am in the morning here and I've been online almost all day!

I'm almost online almost every day, the only time I'll be unplugged is when there's a rain or snow storm that knocks out the power and that's when I'll find things to do.

Check for new replies or respond here...