inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How much of your shopping is online?

Written By: 2001 on 12/18/17 at 9:48 pm

I'm facing a bit of a dilemma. I've always been the "support local businesses" kind of person. I would never shop at chain stores, always preferred the local mom and pop shop. Support the local economy, keep your neighbourhood's character, etc.

But 2017 is making it too convenient to drop this habit. Amazon Prime is finally a decent deal here in Canada. Before I would get two day shipping without then need for Prime since I lived 30 minutes away from the warehouse. But this year they introduced same-day shipping, so we finally signed up for Prime. Now I just can't help but do a lot of my shopping online. Instead of taking a 30 minute-2 hour detour to the store, I just order it online, particularly for much cheaper items ($5-$20 range), and it's at my doorstep by the time I get home or the next morning.

I do about 70% of my shopping online now. In 2016, it was maybe 10%.

At the moment, I've been planning on making some purchases on Amazon, but I feel a bit guilty. I want to buy a Nintendo Switch, and it's in my Amazon cart at the moment, but I think to the local video game store near me and their owners who've been so kind to me over the years. Same for a protein powder I need to buy: the lady at the nutrition store really helped me in picking out one that was jut right for me. I can easily buy these things online, but I feel like I'm "betraying" my local stores. They close at, like, 7PM, but if I order that stuff from Amazon now, those items could be at my door the next morning.

Online shopping is incredibly convenient and it's only going to get better. But I fear the loss of that personal touch and the relationships formed that that goes into shopping at local stores, as inconvenient or expensive as it is.  :(

Subject: Re: How much of your shopping is online?

Written By: nally on 12/19/17 at 12:17 am

For me...about 0%. Maybe someday that'll change.

Written By: KatanaChick on 12/19/17 at 2:34 am

Only when I can't find what I want at IRL stores. I prefer to know how something really looks before buying it. Jewelry is sometimes a different color than what pictures show and clothes can run large or small depending on the brand. Some things really do have to be seen in person first.

Written By: Howard on 12/19/17 at 7:16 am

I do half of my shopping online and half of in store, What I do is if the store has it online then I make sure they have it in store. My Father buys a lot of hygienical products online cause it's much easier for him like hair products such as soap, body wash and hair spray and it arrives in the mail a few days later.

Written By: wixness on 12/19/17 at 10:43 am

Quite a lot - I've got arm warmers, sleeveless hoodies and cap sleeve tops online in addition to computer parts. I also had to buy CDs and DVDs of stuff that were no longer legally available elsewhere.

Written By: ofkx on 12/19/17 at 1:35 pm

I'd say my online shopping has gone down since last year. Most clothes that I bought in 2016 were online, but now it's the opposite.

Written By: Howard on 12/19/17 at 1:41 pm

And the good thing of shopping online is that you can buy things in the comfort of your own home, no difficult people to deal with, no waiting on-line just a few clicks and you're good to go, It's just the waiting period before your stuff arrives in the mail.

Written By: violet_shy on 12/19/17 at 2:17 pm

This year I did not shop online. I did all of my Christmas shopping in person, which I find is best because you can see what you are buying. I like shopping online too, but for the holidays I prefer going to the gift place myself.

Written By: 2001 on 12/19/17 at 4:07 pm

And the good thing of shopping online is that you can buy things in the comfort of your own home, no difficult people to deal with, no waiting on-line just a few clicks and you're good to go, It's just the waiting period before your stuff arrives in the mail.

That was my main problem with it as well. It's only when I got same-day delivery at my address did I start purchasing online much more often.

I'd say my online shopping has gone down since last year. Most clothes that I bought in 2016 were online, but now it's the opposite.

I've never bought clothes online before. Did you ever have a case where your clothes weren't a good fit?

Written By: wixness on 12/19/17 at 4:08 pm

I've never bought clothes online before. Did you ever have a case where your clothes weren't a good fit?

I admit that I've had these situations and that I regret them.

Written By: 2001 on 12/19/17 at 4:22 pm

I admit that I've had these situations and that I regret them.

Did you take proper measurements before you bought them?

Written By: wixness on 12/19/17 at 4:49 pm

Did you take proper measurements before you bought them?

One or two times I've intentionally bought something larger or smaller. They still fit me, but I'm gaining weight

Written By: 2001 on 12/19/17 at 10:53 pm

Gah, went to the game store and they didn't have the game I want (but I got the Switch!). Nutrition store was closed, so I went to Costco and got some weird looking protein shake. It's not the one I wanted but I'll see if it tastes good. 

Lesson learnt: shop online ;D

One or two times I've intentionally bought something larger or smaller. They still fit me, but I'm gaining weight

Oh okay. But generally you're satisfied with shopping for clothes online? I think I might try it. Clothes shopping is one thing I exclusively do offline, because I want to see if it fits, but it seems most people don't have much of a problem with it.

Written By: karen on 12/20/17 at 2:20 am

If you mainly buy clothes at the same store and they have an on-line presence then it will be fine as you know what you are going to get.  However if you are going to a totally new place then it can be a gamble if you are not a standard size/shape.  Sometimes they give a sizing guide so you can work out what to order - other times you just have to guess.  And then the dilemma of whether to send something back and swap for a different size which means a trip to the post office...

Written By: ofkx on 12/20/17 at 5:37 am

That was my main problem with it as well. It's only when I got same-day delivery at my address did I start purchasing online much more often.

I have actually. It's usually shoes though, since shoe sizes are inconsistent from brand to brand.

Written By: Howard on 12/20/17 at 7:10 am

I've bought underwear and socks online but shirts and shoes I would have to go there to purchase them in person.

Written By: Dude111 on 12/20/17 at 10:03 am

I do some shopping online..... I look for VHS tapes,cassettes,records and 8 tracks :) (I love analogue so much)

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/20/17 at 2:31 pm

I buy almost nothing online. Then again aside from food, I barely buy stuff.

Written By: Howard on 12/20/17 at 2:42 pm

I do some shopping online..... I look for VHS tapes,cassettes,records and 8 tracks :) (I love analogue so much)

What about Victrolas?

Written By: #Infinity on 12/20/17 at 8:30 pm

I purchase all of my UK Now albums from Amazon, plus any other CD's that I'm highly curious about but which aren't available on the American iTunes. I also bought a couple of custom-crafted Rachel Stevens posters for my flat online.

Written By: Dude111 on 12/20/17 at 9:17 pm

What about Victrolas?

Hmmm what are those buddy???? Are those like Victoria record players?

Written By: Howard on 12/21/17 at 7:27 am

Hmmm what are those buddy???? Are those like Victoria record players?

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/8e9bf8f8-4093-4afe-b37a-4d836a32ce51/svn/victrola-stereo-shelf-systems-vta-30-64_1000.jpg

Written By: Dude111 on 12/21/17 at 5:09 pm

Ahhhh I was right :)

Muchos Gracious my friend!!

Written By: Howard on 12/22/17 at 7:58 am

I guess in the next 10-15 years people are going to wind up food shopping online.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/22/17 at 1:29 pm

I do most of my shopping on-line. I have been an Amazon Prime member for years now. This year I made 44 purchases on Amazon. The most was in 2014 when I made 62 purchases. :o :o  That was the year we moved in here and I bought a lot of stuff for the house. Those are only my Amazon purchases. I have also bought stuff from JCPenny, Twinnings, and other websites.

I do feel guilty knowing that stores are closing but I'm sure most people here know that I don't drive so it is hard for me to go to a store. I also like the fact that I can shop around. I can check out different stores websites to check what they have, and make my choice without ever leaving home-and of course they deliver right to my door.

I do shop at brick & mortar stores, too-just not as often.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/22/17 at 2:35 pm

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/8e9bf8f8-4093-4afe-b37a-4d836a32ce51/svn/victrola-stereo-shelf-systems-vta-30-64_1000.jpg

That isn't a REAL Victrola. This is a REAL one:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/94/10/83/941083f07b4cfc5a6001543d2ef08ba6--victrola-record-player-vintage-records.jpg

This looks a lot like the one my family has that used to be our great-grandfather's. Right now, my sister has guardianship of it.

They play 78s.

Cat

Written By: karen on 12/22/17 at 3:51 pm

I guess in the next 10-15 years people are going to wind up food shopping online.

In the UK you can already do this at the main supermarkets. We have only done it once to get a lot of food delivered to my mother in laws when we were going to stay for a week, but colleagues at work do most of their food shopping online

Written By: Howard on 12/22/17 at 4:43 pm

That isn't a REAL Victrola. This is a REAL one:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/94/10/83/941083f07b4cfc5a6001543d2ef08ba6--victrola-record-player-vintage-records.jpg

This looks a lot like the one my family has that used to be our great-grandfather's. Right now, my sister has guardianship of it.

They play 78s.

Cat

Does it still work? ???

Written By: Howard on 12/22/17 at 4:45 pm

In the UK you can already do this at the main supermarkets. We have only done it once to get a lot of food delivered to my mother in laws when we were going to stay for a week, but colleagues at work do most of their food shopping online

I guess if you food shop online, it might take a long time cause you might need a shopping list to know what you want.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/22/17 at 4:47 pm

I guess if you food shop online, it might take a long time cause you might need a shopping list to know what you want.

I would never buy groceries on line. I don't want to put the cartmen out of business.

Written By: ofkx on 12/22/17 at 4:49 pm

Actually That's already a thing. You can order groceries off of Amazon and have it delivered the same day.

Written By: 2001 on 12/22/17 at 4:57 pm

They do their groceries while they're goofing off at work. ;D

Written By: Dude111 on 12/22/17 at 6:02 pm

They play 78s.

I love my 78s!!!

I have 1 thick edison record thats 80rpm (My crosley player will do 80rpm but the needle isnt big enough obviously to get in the groove.... IT DOES PLAY IT AND I HEAR IT FINE its just LOW volume)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/22/17 at 6:40 pm

Does it still work? ???

I assume it does. Like I said, it is at my sister's. It did when it was at my mother's (when I still lived with her). I used to play the old 78s every so often.

Cat

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 12/23/17 at 7:22 am

Surprisingly, none so far.

Written By: Howard on 12/23/17 at 7:27 am

Actually That's already a thing. You can order groceries off of Amazon and have it delivered the same day.

That would be good for My Father and I, Is there a limit as to how much you can order?  ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/23/17 at 1:58 pm

So, I ordered a few things on Amazon the other day. A couple of them came yesterday. Today, UPS came by and left a package on the porch. Ok, that is the last item that I ordered. Nope-the package wasn't even addressed to me. It was addressed to someone who lived a block from here (2 doors down from our old house). Carlos TRIED to call UPS but was put on "Ignore" and he didn't want to wait until he could talk to a human. I told him that it would be quicker to take it around the block himself. He didn't feel like going out. We will probably do it tomorrow. I wonder if they got my package.

Cat

Written By: karen on 12/23/17 at 4:46 pm

I would never buy groceries on line. I don't want to put the cartmen out of business.

If you order from a supermarket (not Amazon) then someone is employed to push a trolley around and pick up your order. Someone else drives the van to your house to drop off the bags.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/23/17 at 4:52 pm

If you order from a supermarket (not Amazon) then someone is employed to push a trolley around and pick up your order. Someone else drives the van to your house to drop off the bags.

But what about the cashiers?  That's why I never use the self-checkout at the store. Don't want to put the cashiers out of their jobs either.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/24/17 at 12:55 am

I rarely shop online unless it's some specialty item or technology. I prefer brick and mortar shopping.

Written By: Howard on 12/24/17 at 5:14 am

So, I ordered a few things on Amazon the other day. A couple of them came yesterday. Today, UPS came by and left a package on the porch. Ok, that is the last item that I ordered. Nope-the package wasn't even addressed to me. It was addressed to someone who lived a block from here (2 doors down from our old house). Carlos TRIED to call UPS but was put on "Ignore" and he didn't want to wait until he could talk to a human. I told him that it would be quicker to take it around the block himself. He didn't feel like going out. We will probably do it tomorrow. I wonder if they got my package.

Cat

That's the UPS guy's fault, he probably forgot to put on his glasses. ::)

Written By: Howard on 12/24/17 at 5:18 am

But what about the cashiers?  That's why I never use the self-checkout at the store. Don't want to put the cashiers out of their jobs either.

Why should you worry about the cashiers? You never need to worry about them.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/24/17 at 10:32 am

Why should you worry about the cashiers? You never need to worry about them.

I don't want to put them out of work. If I'm going to a store to buy something, why should I do the work of a cashier?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/24/17 at 3:35 pm

That's the UPS guy's fault, he probably forgot to put on his glasses. ::)

I know it was the UPS guy's fault. Carlos brought the package over there today and left it in the mailbox since no one answered the door.

I always use USPS when I ship anything.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/24/17 at 4:12 pm

Cat

Ordered from Amazon?  It coulda been worse. They could have left you an additional package.

6oT9C-8q724

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/24/17 at 5:16 pm

https://safr.kingfeatures.com/idn/cnfeed/zone/js/content.php?file=aHR0cDovL3NhZnIua2luZ2ZlYXR1cmVzLmNvbS9CYWJ5Qmx1ZXMvMjAxNy8xMi9CYWJ5X0JsdWVzX250Yi4yMDE3MTIyNF85MDAuZ2lm

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/25/17 at 7:07 am

I don't want to put them out of work. If I'm going to a store to buy something, why should I do the work of a cashier?

It makes it easier for you. I wouldn't want to wait for hours on end for the cashier when you have a huge line in back of me waiting for the cashier when you can just bag them yourself getting you in and out of the store in quick fashion.

Written By: Howard on 12/25/17 at 7:15 am

Ordered from Amazon?  It coulda been worse. They could have left you an additional package.

6oT9C-8q724

that's disgusting! :o :P

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/25/17 at 9:11 am

that's disgusting! :o :P

What's even more disgusting is that when you see the video, it does not look like she wiped either.  8-P

Written By: Howard on 12/25/17 at 5:50 pm

What's even more disgusting is that when you see the video, it does not look like she wiped either.  8-P

What was she thinking? ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/25/17 at 5:52 pm

What were they thinking? ::)

What were they thinking?  "She didn't wipe".  ;D ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/25/17 at 6:06 pm

What were they thinking?  "She didn't wipe".  ;D ;D

I bet she'll have a problem when she comes home. ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/25/17 at 6:29 pm

I bet she'll have a problem when she comes home. ;D

That underwear went straight to the trash can.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/25/17 at 6:32 pm

Ok, can we please stop discussing about what that woman did! The thread is about online shopping not... :-X

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/26/17 at 7:18 am

That underwear went straight to the trash can.

better yet, she will have to burn it instead.

Written By: Howard on 12/26/17 at 7:19 am

Ok, can we please stop discussing about what that woman did! The thread is about online shopping not... :-X

Cat

Sorry Cat, let's back to the subject and not go off track.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/02/20 at 7:45 am

I'm facing a bit of a dilemma. I've always been the "support local businesses" kind of person. I would never shop at chain stores, always preferred the local mom and pop shop. Support the local economy, keep your neighbourhood's character, etc.

But 2017 is making it too convenient to drop this habit. Amazon Prime is finally a decent deal here in Canada. Before I would get two day shipping without then need for Prime since I lived 30 minutes away from the warehouse. But this year they introduced same-day shipping, so we finally signed up for Prime. Now I just can't help but do a lot of my shopping online. Instead of taking a 30 minute-2 hour detour to the store, I just order it online, particularly for much cheaper items ($5-$20 range), and it's at my doorstep by the time I get home or the next morning.

I do about 70% of my shopping online now. In 2016, it was maybe 10%.

At the moment, I've been planning on making some purchases on Amazon, but I feel a bit guilty. I want to buy a Nintendo Switch, and it's in my Amazon cart at the moment, but I think to the local video game store near me and their owners who've been so kind to me over the years. Same for a protein powder I need to buy: the lady at the nutrition store really helped me in picking out one that was jut right for me. I can easily buy these things online, but I feel like I'm "betraying" my local stores. They close at, like, 7PM, but if I order that stuff from Amazon now, those items could be at my door the next morning.

Online shopping is incredibly convenient and it's only going to get better. But I fear the loss of that personal touch and the relationships formed that that goes into shopping at local stores, as inconvenient or expensive as it is.  :(
With the current situation of the world, shopping online has increased, especially for those house bound or cannot get to the main shops due to closure.

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/02/20 at 2:28 pm

I don’t like shopping online. I like brick and mortar stores and like to support them. I prefer to have something in my hands and make a decision about it. But there never has been much of anything specialized available in these rural parts so I’ve been shopping online since I got on the internet in the 90s. Before that I did mail order.

Written By: 2001 on 06/02/20 at 6:09 pm

With the current situation of the world, shopping online has increased, especially for those house bound or cannot get to the main shops due to closure.

Oh you don't need to tell me, my household is getting like 5 boxes a day.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/03/20 at 8:48 am

Oh you don't need to tell me, my household is getting like 5 boxes a day.
Back in 2003 I took a home university course on computing, Internet, etc. And one part of the course was the prospect of online shopping which was becoming more popular then. In my essays I would state that shops will disappear from the high street with online sales taking over (where is Woolworths now?), but no way I (or anyone then back then) could predict a pandemic around the world causing people to use home deliveries for safety reasons.

Written By: Howard on 06/05/20 at 2:03 pm

My Father has been shopping online ever since this lockdown started.

Check for new replies or respond here...