inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2020s to be more socially conservative? ( remake of my old thread)

Written By: Milk on 12/19/17 at 10:54 am

I originally meant to ask this. I wasn't talking about politics or the economy I meant to talk about the social atmosphere and pop culture.

Subject: Re: 2020s to be more socially conservative? ( remake of my old thread)

Written By: 2001 on 12/19/17 at 11:16 am

No. Who even wants that?

Written By: ofkx on 12/19/17 at 12:47 pm

No. Who even wants that?

^ For real

Written By: bchris02 on 12/19/17 at 2:51 pm

Hopefully not but it does seem like things are headed in that direction. Then again, the 2010s have been quite conservative where I live.

Written By: musicguy93 on 12/19/17 at 3:14 pm

It seems like the 2010s are one big culture war between the far left (ie. SJWs, Antifa, etc.) and the far right (Alt-right, Neo Nazis, etc.). Assuming this culture war doesn't intensify in the early 2020s, it is my belief that BOTH sides will ultimately lose. I mean yeah, I think the far left has the edge in the short run (i.e., the Trump era). But in the long run, I see things going more towards the middle, at least in comparison to the current political climate. After all, there has never been a decade of perfect political harmony.

Written By: wixness on 12/19/17 at 3:35 pm

Hopefully not but it does seem like things are headed in that direction. Then again, the 2010s have been quite conservative where I live.

I think they've been more conservative because guys haven't tried to avoid looking masculine since around 2013,and I bet that that's excusing conservative attitudes.

Then again, the entire US had gay marriage legalized, and a bunch of other countries in the space of only a few years.

Written By: 2001 on 12/19/17 at 4:20 pm

I think they've been more conservative because guys haven't tried to avoid looking masculine since around 2013,and I bet that that's excusing conservative attitudes.

Then again, the entire US had gay marriage legalized, and a bunch of other countries in the space of only a few years.

Even if hair is shorter, 2017 is still the most socially progressive year in the history of mankind by almost any measurement. Things have been getting more progressive each decade since the 1950s, I don't see why that trend would stop in the 2020s. Even 2010 looks really conservative next to 2017. Imagine that Family Guy transgender episode from 2010 coming out in 2017? Heads would rightfully roll.

Written By: wixness on 12/19/17 at 4:52 pm

Even if hair is shorter, 2017 is still the most socially progressive year in the history of mankind by almost any measurement. Things have been getting more progressive each decade since the 1950s, I don't see why that trend would stop in the 2020s. Even 2010 looks really conservative next to 2017. Imagine that Family Guy transgender episode from 2010 coming out in 2017? Heads would rightfully roll.

Hopefully we start reaching genderlessness by then and go on from there, if not this decade.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/19/17 at 4:58 pm

Longer hair does seem to be coming back a little bit so Riven should like that.  Not 2007-08 long but longer than has been in style since around 2011.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/technology/7mw6lw/picture23428590/alternates/LANDSCAPE_1140/samandcolby2

I think in terms of culture, rural areas are becoming more conservative while urban areas are becoming more liberal.  Unfortunately in my own life, I can actually say 2010 was a more liberal time because of my surroundings.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/19/17 at 5:11 pm

You can be against Social Justice Warriors, and also be against stuffy Conservative culture. The two aren't necessarily exclusive.

Written By: wixness on 12/19/17 at 5:20 pm

Longer hair does seem to be coming back a little bit so Riven should like that.  Not 2007-08 long but longer than has been in style since around 2011.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/technology/7mw6lw/picture23428590/alternates/LANDSCAPE_1140/samandcolby2

I think in terms of culture, rural areas are becoming more conservative while urban areas are becoming more liberal.  Unfortunately in my own life, I can actually say 2010 was a more liberal time because of my surroundings.

I'm not seeing these guys much, but I would like it if it were longer at the back and sides as well as the front. This is one of the few ways I can find guys attractive and enjoy being my own sex a bit more. I might still envy women, but at least I'll have their hair, in a way.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/19/17 at 5:21 pm

Imagine that Family Guy transgender episode from 2010 coming out in 2017? Heads would rightfully roll.

That just may be the problem, though. Even though I think things will become more socially progressive, the progressive will become so repressive that nobody will dare experiment or take chances, so conversely pop culture will seem conservative. Think of ground breaking shows of the 70s like "All In The Family". That would never be able to exist today, people would take it the wrong way. People are looking for reasons to be offended now. We live in a victim culture.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/19/17 at 5:27 pm

That just may be the problem, though. Even though I think things will become more socially progressive, the progressive will become so repressive that nobody will dare experiment or take chances, so conversely pop culture will seem conservative. Think of ground breaking shows of the 70s like "All In The Family". That would never be able to exist today, people would take it the wrong way. People are looking for reasons to be offended now. We live in a victim culture.

And if you say there's problems in the gay community, or any community, then you're called homophobic, racist, etc, etc. And you don't even have to say the N word, or f*ggot. And forget about even about constructive criticism.  :P

Written By: Slim95 on 12/19/17 at 5:44 pm

We are in conservative culture now if you think about it. Nobody is allowed to say anything that isn't politically correct or make jokes that may offend people and for the most part everyone is going along with the standard politically correct attitudes which means liberalism has turned to conservatism and this is the new conservative. If someone tries to push these boundaries in the '20s, that would actually be a liberal appoach. If the '20s become "conservative" it would actually be the new liberal. I don't mind if less SJW stuff is in store for the '20s as long as both extremes are gone. No more buzzwords and politics of division please. The 2000s are very dreamy in this regard.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/19/17 at 7:11 pm

Longer hair does seem to be coming back a little bit

As I have stressed before, here in 2017, the length of hair is irrelevant and is in no way an indicator of social or political trends. In the 1960s it most certainly was an indicator. Later in the 70s when the punks had short hair as a political statement against the long hair that had come before, it was the exact LAST time hair was ever truly a political statement or indicator. It is now quite possible for a person or persons to have long hair or some other outrageous style or color of hair and be quite conservative. It is equally possible that a person could have very short hair or no hair and be as progressive as it comes. Hair is meaningless.  Society has moved beyond hair.

Written By: wixness on 12/19/17 at 7:37 pm

As I have stressed before, here in 2017, the length of hair is irrelevant and is in no way an indicator of social or political trends. In the 1960s it most certainly was an indicator. Later in the 70s when the punks had short hair as a political statement against the long hair that had come before, it was the exact LAST time hair was ever truly a political statement or indicator. It is now quite possible for a person or persons to have long hair or some other outrageous style or color of hair and be quite conservative. It is equally possible that a person could have very short hair or no hair and be as progressive as it comes. Hair is meaningless.  Society has moved beyond hair.

I tend to find men with longer hair in my experience to be more liberal with their views and to have more unique (typically progressive) perspectives and warmer personalities, which I believe aren't typical of many males. Long hair is still pretty much a sign of beauty in my eyes - short hair looks off to me, at least on me and maybe others as well.

Many other guys with short hair I've come across tend to be quite predictable in their interests and personalities.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/19/17 at 11:34 pm

I would disagree.  Hair has fluctuated in length since the '60s, with periods where long-hair was popular followed by periods where it wasn't.  Of course it isn't the rebellious statement that it was in the '50s but male hair length still very much is a part of pop culture.  We were last in a long-hair era from around 2005 through 2009 or 10.  2012-2016 saw long hair fall out of style.  Anybody wearing Bieber's first cut in 2015 would have probably gotten stares.  In 2017 hwoever there are signs that it's starting to come back.

Written By: 2001 on 12/20/17 at 12:01 am

I can't speak to All In The Family, but the Family Guy episode's "humour" relied entirely on demeaning and people being violent to the transwoman. If the entire punchline is that a minority group is less than human then I'm glad that doesn't pass for humour anymore.

And if you say there's problems in the gay community, or any community, then you're called homophobic, racist, etc, etc. And you don't even have to say the N word, or f*ggot. And forget about even about constructive criticism.  :P

You don't have to say the n-word or f-word to be racist or homophobic.

What's ironic is that there are many people out there that say nigga or fagg*t very casually, who claim they aren't racist/homophobes because they support their civil rights and have black/gay friends etc. "if they say it in rap music then why can't I say it"

And honestly I would say they're less racist than someone who, say, voted for Trump. Their behaviour is inherently less harmful. Now, I'm not letting them off the hook either, but just because someone doesn't say the n-word doesn't mean they're absolved of every other racist thing they do.

Written By: 2001 on 12/20/17 at 1:10 am

We are in conservative culture now if you think about it. Nobody is allowed to say anything that isn't politically correct or make jokes that may offend people and for the most part everyone is going along with the standard politically correct attitudes which means liberalism has turned to conservatism and this is the new conservative. If someone tries to push these boundaries in the '20s, that would actually be a liberal appoach. If the '20s become "conservative" it would actually be the new liberal. I don't mind if less SJW stuff is in store for the '20s as long as both extremes are gone. No more buzzwords and politics of division please. The 2000s are very dreamy in this regard.

That's funny, because I was old enough in the 2000s to remember everyone saying it was too politically correct back then too :P

Written By: Slim95 on 12/20/17 at 2:29 am

That's funny, because I was old enough in the 2000s to remember everyone saying it was too politically correct back then too :P

They did not. That term got popularized 2014 or 2015 and when Trump got into the picture the buzzwords (like cuck for example) started coming in drones. 

Written By: ofkx on 12/20/17 at 5:43 am

That looks literally every white boy around 2012/13  ;D.

Written By: J. Rob on 12/20/17 at 6:20 am

They did not. That term got popularized 2014 or 2015 and when Trump got into the picture the buzzwords (like cuck for example) started coming in drones.

I heard the term "politically correct" on a fairly regular basis as a kid in the 90s....even more in the 2000s....it's simply being run into the ground by conservatives in the 2010s

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/20/17 at 8:23 am

I would disagree.  Hair has fluctuated in length since the '60s, with periods where long-hair was popular followed by periods where it wasn't.  Of course it isn't the rebellious statement that it was in the '50s but male hair length still very much is a part of pop culture.  We were last in a long-hair era from around 2005 through 2009 or 10.  2012-2016 saw long hair fall out of style.  Anybody wearing Bieber's first cut in 2015 would have probably gotten stares.  In 2017 hwoever there are signs that it's starting to come back.

My point was that hair is no longer a political statement or an indicator of one's politics or beliefs as it was in the 60s and 70s. I didn't say that it wasn't a fashion statement with fluctuating styles.  A Justin Bieber haircut may be a fashion statement but it is in no way an indicator of anyone's political beliefs or the trending beliefs of society in general. A Justin Bieber haircut is meaningless. Hair is fashion. Hair is not politics as it once was. Society has moved beyond such indicators.

Written By: 2001 on 12/20/17 at 3:47 pm

"Politically correct" was popularized before you were even born. It was coined (in its modern definition) in the late 1980s and was popularized in the early 1990s. Bill Maher's show Politically Incorrect aired from 1993 to 2002 (when ironically it went off the air after Maher criticized US military policy after 9/11).

Just think about that. People thought the time when most Americans disapproved of interracial marriages and thought gay people should be barred from serving in the military or working for government was "too politically correct". Saying that "political correctness has gone too far" is not an original, nor new, nor fresh complaint. You're just parroting a 30 year old conservative talking point that you heard from someone else.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/20/17 at 3:53 pm

"Politically correct" was popularized before you were even born. It was coined (in its modern definition) in the late 1980s and was popularized in the early 1990s. Bill Maher's show Politically Incorrect aired from 1993 to 2002 (when ironically it went off the air after Maher criticized US military policy after 9/11).

Just think about that. People thought the time when most Americans disapproved of interracial marriages and thought gay people should be barred from serving in the military or working for government was "too politically correct". Saying that "political correctness has gone too far" is not an original, nor new, nor fresh complaint. You're just parroting a 30 year old conservative talking point that you heard from someone else.

Yes, it became popular with the racists who wanted to make excuses to call other people slurs, and stuff. It became really popular in 1990/1991.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 12/20/17 at 8:09 pm

Lmao no it didn't. I literally heard people say that way back in the 2000s

Written By: Slim95 on 12/20/17 at 8:43 pm

Lmao no it didn't. I literally heard people say that way back in the 2000s

Incorrect. It only started getting big with Trump.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/20/17 at 9:07 pm

Incorrect. It only startes getting big with Trump.

Are you okay? Do you need a Prozac?  :(

Written By: 2001 on 12/20/17 at 9:34 pm

Incorrect. It only startes getting big with Trump.

Your replies are getting very predictable. In the face of hard proof you just say "wrong" with nothing to back it up. ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 12/20/17 at 10:06 pm

Your replies are getting very predictable. In the face of hard proof you just say "wrong" with nothing to back it up. ;D

I'm just saying from my experience the political buzzwords came after Trump started getting in the picture.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 12/20/17 at 10:48 pm

It seems like the 2010s are one big culture war between the far left (ie. SJWs, Antifa, etc.) and the far right (Alt-right, Neo Nazis, etc.). Assuming this culture war doesn't intensify in the early 2020s, it is my belief that BOTH sides will ultimately lose. I mean yeah, I think the far left has the edge in the short run (i.e., the Trump era). But in the long run, I see things going more towards the middle, at least in comparison to the current political climate. After all, there has never been a decade of perfect political harmony.

I also have a feeling that both the SJWs and the Alt-right will lose very hard.

People from both sides believe that their specific side will succeed, and I laugh at them for saying that.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 12/20/17 at 11:58 pm

My point was that hair is no longer a political statement or an indicator of one's politics or beliefs as it was in the 60s and 70s. I didn't say that it wasn't a fashion statement with fluctuating styles.  A Justin Bieber haircut may be a fashion statement but it is in no way an indicator of anyone's political beliefs or the trending beliefs of society in general. A Justin Bieber haircut is meaningless. Hair is fashion. Hair is not politics as it once was. Society has moved beyond such indicators.

Hair length isn't but hair color is today. There is a stereotype for the blue haired SJW for a reason.

Written By: wixness on 12/21/17 at 12:54 am

Hair length isn't but hair color is today. There is a stereotype for the blue haired SJW for a reason.

Having it shaved at the back and sides is the same as well.

Written By: 2001 on 12/21/17 at 11:37 pm

Having it shaved at the back and sides is the same as well.

There is also the natural hair movement for black women.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/09/18 at 11:43 pm

The more I watch how things are evolving, I think it's possible that the 2020s will be the most socially conservative decade since the 1950s or at least the 1980s.

We are in the midst of a full-scale backlash against LGBT rights, legal marijuana, secularism, social justice causes, etc.  We have seen a resurgence of the religious right unlike anything we've had since the Moral Majority in the 1980s, when Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson were actually taken seriously.  Science and intellectualism is widely distrusted and discouraged in our current culture because it is seen as promoting a secular and anti-Christian agenda. There definitely seems to be this longing for "traditional values" and a more patriarchal society.  It's really hard to believe we've seen such a hard shift to the right in such a short amount of time.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/10/18 at 12:36 am

The more I watch how things are evolving, I think it's possible that the 2020s will be the most socially conservative decade since the 1950s or at least the 1980s.

We are in the midst of a full-scale backlash against LGBT rights, legal marijuana, secularism, social justice causes, etc.  We have seen a resurgence of the religious right unlike anything we've had since the Moral Majority in the 1980s, when Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson were actually taken seriously.  Science and intellectualism is widely distrusted and discouraged in our current culture because it is seen as promoting a secular and anti-Christian agenda. There definitely seems to be this longing for "traditional values" and a more patriarchal society.  It's really hard to believe we've seen such a hard shift to the right in such a short amount of time.

I hope you move out one day. Seems like the city/place/area you live in is toxic to your mental health, and well being. I'd make an exit plan...right now! You may not move out right away, but maybe five years, or ten years, from now.  :o

As for conservatism, here's some political hope for you.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/09/politics/republicans-house-gop/index.html

Written By: HeyJealousy on 01/10/18 at 12:40 pm

I think, and hope, that we will progress in a more libertarian direction.

My "ideal" political climate would be progressive on healthcare and social security, but libertarian on gun rights (meaning opposed to too much restriction), marriage equality (live and let live), abortion (it's a woman's choice), marijuana (just legalize it already) and foreign policy (stay out of unnecessary conflicts and try to avoid intervention in general, with some VERY rare exceptions).

But that's just an ideal. I don't expect my ideal society to be fulfilled 100%, but it would be nice.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/10/18 at 2:19 pm

It won't go more conservative. Naturally things get more liberal as time goes on. It never goes back as a whole. There will always be people though who will be conservative but society as a whole won't move more conservative, it will always go in the liberal direction in the future. But there may be some forms of conservative culture like the alt-right is very popular now and that may have a presence. Or even more division with these things.

Written By: John Titor on 01/10/18 at 4:11 pm

It won't go more conservative. Naturally things get more liberal as time goes on. It never goes back as a whole. There will always be people though who will be conservative but society as a whole won't move more conservative, it will always go in the liberal direction in the future. But there may be some forms of conservative culture like the alt-right is very popular now and that may have a presence. Or even more division with these things.

Wasn't the late 60s super liberal with the hippy movement and then when the mid 70s hit everything went back to normal, and then REGANS super conservative 80s

Written By: Slim95 on 01/10/18 at 4:14 pm

Wasn't the late 60s super liberal with the hippy movement and then when the mid 70s hit everything went back to normal, and then REGANS super conservative 80s

Yeah certain cultural aspects but as a whole it gets more and more liberal overall.

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/10/18 at 6:43 pm

Depends on where in the country you found yourself.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/11/18 at 1:01 am

The 2020s will be the new 1940s
The 2030s will be a cross between the 1950s and the post civil war era of the 1860s and 1870s

Written By: christopher on 01/12/18 at 8:16 am

I want to see people focus more on feeling, not so much on thinking and analyzing.
Everything is made from the brain now, no space for feelings.
People in the west are really sad and many of them are on Prozac and what not as they are corporate slaves, white collar slave workers, etc. selling their souls for money. Most people today forget to enjoy the little things in life and just pause down. How many people are constantly in a rush from A to B? When we all learn that life and happiness are not a destination but the present moment and if we start enjoying it today, focusing on the present moment, then we will become truly happy.

Even the so-called SJW are very judgemental against specific groups they deem OK to hate and bash like white males for example. Suddenly everything masculine is bad, and everything feminine is good. Is that acceptance? Not! They both are good and needed and we should develop both sides equally! I don't think this will happen by raising boys with internalized misandry.

Hopefully digital/news detoxes are becoming very common, which is a sign people might become closer to nature and their senses. All we do now is read toxic news and political agendas and bigots spreading lies and racist posts online, which makes us feel like we're living in the worst of times. Who has time for all that, I sure don't! So I prefer living in the real world. ;)

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/12/18 at 7:30 pm

I also have a feeling that both the SJWs and the Alt-right will lose very hard.

People from both sides believe that their specific side will succeed, and I laugh at them for saying that.

Boy I hope so! Make America sane again!  :P That needs to be the next movement. Rational people overpowering the obnoxious SJWs and alt-right.

Danger hair as some call it. Watch out for the pink ones by the way.  :o

I want to see people focus more on feeling, not so much on thinking and analyzing.
Everything is made from the brain now, no space for feelings.
People in the west are really sad and many of them are on Prozac and what not as they are corporate slaves, white collar slave workers, etc. selling their souls for money. Most people today forget to enjoy the little things in life and just pause down. How many people are constantly in a rush from A to B? When we all learn that life and happiness are not a destination but the present moment and if we start enjoying it today, focusing on the present moment, then we will become truly happy.

Even the so-called SJW are very judgemental against specific groups they deem OK to hate and bash like white males for example. Suddenly everything masculine is bad, and everything feminine is good. Is that acceptance? Not! They both are good and needed and we should develop both sides equally! I don't think this will happen by raising boys with internalized misandry.

Hopefully digital/news detoxes are becoming very common, which is a sign people might become closer to nature and their senses. All we do now is read toxic news and political agendas and bigots spreading lies and racist posts online, which makes us feel like we're living in the worst of times. Who has time for all that, I sure don't! So I prefer living in the real world. ;)

Some of those so-called feminists call on women to reject all things feminine and according to them conforming to gender norms is letting yourself be controlled by the patriarchy they are always on about. They only like you if you conform to what they want, and ironically are doing what they say the so-called patriarchy does. One of several reasons they can't be taken seriously.

Check for new replies or respond here...