inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is this the craziest decade since the 60s?

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 12/24/17 at 10:05 pm

I'd say so. At least politically.

Subject: Re: Is this the craziest decade since the 60s?

Written By: bchris02 on 12/25/17 at 12:49 am

I'm not sure what the social climate was like during the Nixon era but I believe there was a stronger backlash against liberalism in the 1980s. I would say that the '10s so far were like the sixties during the Obama years but are finishing up more like the '80s. Right now it seems like everyone is longing to return to an idealized past. A lot of the social progress since 2009 is being rolled back. It will be interesting to see what happens as we approach 2020.

Written By: BornIn86 on 12/25/17 at 2:02 pm

I'm not sure what the social climate was like during the Nixon era but I believe there was a stronger backlash against liberalism in the 1980s. I would say that the '10s so far were like the sixties during the Obama years but are finishing up more like the '80s. Right now it seems like everyone is longing to return to an idealized past. A lot of the social progress since 2009 is being rolled back. It will be interesting to see what happens as we approach 2020.

Really? Like what? I'm just not seeing a full swing toward conservativism that people keep claiming. I definitely see liberalism slowing down, but I don't see conservativism picking up the slack. In fact, what will everyone claim if (more like when) the Dems win huge next year?

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/25/17 at 2:12 pm

The 1960s kicked butt. We had the hippies, the commies, nukes, Vietnam, you name it.

Then Charlie Manson came along and ruined it all.

Written By: Howard on 12/25/17 at 5:45 pm

The 1960s kicked butt. We had the hippies, the commies, nukes, Vietnam, you name it.

Then Charlie Manson came along and ruined it all.

He was the problem that ended the 60's when it was over.

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/26/17 at 7:25 am

Absolutely. There haven't been as many casualties resulting from the political tumult of this decade, but I expect this and the next decade to go down in the history books.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/26/17 at 8:47 am

He was the problem that ended the 60's when it was over.

Charles Manson did not "end the 60s" in any way, shape or form. Neither did Altamont. This is just a lazy device writers or commentators use to create a tidy end to the cultural 60s at the end of the calendar 60s. Sorry man, but it ain't so. The cultural 60s eventually petered to an end in late 1972 with no specific event. They just ran out of steam.  It had nothing whatsoever to do with Manson. Manson was just one more part of the cultural 60s. Think about it. If the Manson murders "ended the 60s", how come the Kennedy and King assassinations of 1968 didn't "end the 60s" first?  There was no "ending the 60s" until the 60s eventually petered out by itself.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/26/17 at 9:05 am

Absolutely. There haven't been as many casualties resulting from the political tumult of this decade, but I expect this and the next decade to go down in the history books.

Kind of what I'm afraid of. I'm afraid that the 2020's and 2030's will make the 2010's look tamed in comparison!  ;D

Written By: BornIn86 on 12/28/17 at 11:39 am

Naw. I didn't live the 60s but it seemed far more eventful than the 2010s.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/29/17 at 10:14 am

Naw. I didn't live the 60s but it seemed far more eventful than the 2010s.

I did, and they weren't.  Same crap, different tunes

Written By: BornIn86 on 12/29/17 at 11:43 am

I did, and they weren't.  Same crap, different tunes

But do we have anything this decade to match the assassination of Kennedy, the Civil Rights Movement, MLK, Woodstock, Summer of Love?

Written By: J. Rob on 12/29/17 at 12:28 pm

I hope I'm not opening a can of worms, but I've been noticing a rise in "Black Pride" over the last few years and I expect it to get pretty close to where it was in the 70s before the decade is over

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/30/17 at 10:20 am

But do we have anything this decade to match the assassination of Kennedy, the Civil Rights Movement, MLK, Woodstock, Summer of Love?

We have replaced the assassinations with mass shootings, we have the Black Lives Matter movement, Woodstock was just another concert and the summer of love was just hype

Written By: bchris02 on 12/30/17 at 3:15 pm

We have replaced the assassinations with mass shootings, we have the Black Lives Matter movement, Woodstock was just another concert and the summer of love was just hype

The LGBT rights movement is the modern equivalent to the '60s civil rights movement and that story isn't over yet; especially with the backlash we are currently experiencing.

Woodstock can be compared to music festivals like Bonaroo or Burning Man.  Those festivals are iconic to the '10s the way Woodstock and similar festivals were to the '60s.

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/30/17 at 4:16 pm

Woodstock can be compared to music festivals like Bonaroo or Burning Man.  Those festivals are iconic to the '10s the way Woodstock and similar festivals were to the '60s.

Yeah, but none of those are such huge events that tie up the cultural narrative of our nation quite like Woodstock did.

Written By: BornIn86 on 12/30/17 at 6:17 pm

The LGBT rights movement is the modern equivalent to the '60s civil rights movement and that story isn't over yet; especially with the backlash we are currently experiencing.

I can see the LGBT rights movement being seen as a 2010s thing. What backlash are you referring to tho?

Bonnaroo has been going since 2002 and Burning Man has been a thing since the 80s.

Check for new replies or respond here...