inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2017 Overview

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/26/17 at 9:00 am

Now that 2017 is almost over, I thought it's time to look back and discuss the highlights of the year, including news events, trends, pop culture, and personal life. How would you rate it on a scale of 1 to 10?

Here's my summary:
- Donald J. Trump inaugurated as president
- Threats from North Korea
- Bad Hurricane season (especially for Puerto Rico)
- Mexico City earthquake (exact same day as 1985)
- Mass shootings and terrorist attacks on our own soil (Las Vegas, NYC)
- Investigations and scandals; sexual harassment cases involving politicians and celebrities
- Fidget spinners
- Music started to have a mature sound, Ed Sheeran, latin pop such as "Despacito"
- Wonderwoman, Justice League, Star Wars - The Last Jedi, Spiderman: Homecoming
- (Personal life) Bought a house, retired from the Navy

Overall, I'd rate it a 6 out of 10. It had some good moments in my life, but some not so good as well. I hope 2018 will be better, but we'll see.

Subject: Re: 2017 Overview

Written By: 80sfan on 12/27/17 at 12:38 am

I have a feeling 2018 will be wild and crazy.  :o  :o  :o  :(  :(

Written By: Howard on 12/27/17 at 5:23 am

Now that 2017 is almost over, I thought it's time to look back and discuss the highlights of the year, including news events, trends, pop culture, and personal life. How would you rate it on a scale of 1 to 10?

Here's my summary:
- Donald J. Trump inaugurated as president
- Threats from North Korea
- Bad Hurricane season (especially for Puerto Rico)
- Mexico City earthquake (exact same day as 1985)
- Mass shootings and terrorist attacks on our own soil (Las Vegas, NYC)
- Investigations and scandals; sexual harassment cases involving politicians and celebrities
- Fidget spinners
- Music started to have a mature sound, Ed Sheeran, latin pop such as "Despacito"
- Wonderwoman, Justice League, Star Wars - The Last Jedi, Spiderman: Homecoming
- (Personal life) Bought a house, retired from the Navy

Overall, I'd rate it a 6 out of 10. It had some good moments in my life, but some not so good as well. I hope 2018 will be better, but we'll see.

How would I rate this year? Man I don't know, this year has been pretty weird, Maybe a 7.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/27/17 at 5:53 am

Me too. I feel like we've just started on the roller coaster ride. Things will get crazy in this world in 2018.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/27/17 at 5:53 am

2017 was an awesome year for me personally, but an awful year pop culturally.

Written By: christopher on 12/27/17 at 5:55 am

I would rate it as 5 as I made some friends. Pop culture it’s crappy and no luck in my personal life. My dad atracked my mom, they always fight during the holidays which is why I dislike them.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 12/27/17 at 5:57 am

I would say 6.5/10 ;)

Written By: christopher on 12/27/17 at 9:08 am

I made some friends, finally graduated from uni with a master’s and lost my virginity in February lol (sorry if tmi). Also visited Paris and Vienna for the very first time and liked both. So much better than late 2014, 2015 and 2016. And yet it can’t top 2013 asmy confidence back then was huuuge. ;)

Written By: temaichi on 12/27/17 at 6:43 pm

I love 2017. I finally left the school i`ve always wanted to leave. I took my exams and went to visit Norway to see my family again
and i also started college which i prefer more then school. I made some good friends and i can`t wait to spend the next few years with
them studying media, film and photography. I also started to record a whole album this year which i`m releasing in January, 2018. Everything has been great except for two deaths that was hard to go through this year Lil Peep & Chester Bennington and also for the fact that i got friendzoned by the girl i liked for the last 2 months which sucks ofcourse but i`m hoping to move on and start fresh for 2018. 8)

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/27/17 at 6:50 pm

2017 has surprisingly good year both pop culturally and personally. This year was so much better than 2016 but still not nearly as good as 2013 and 2015, at least personally. In terms of my personal life, this year would rank the fourth best year.

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/28/17 at 1:30 am

It's been a great year for me personally. Over the summer, I finally realized my long-time dream of studying abroad. I stayed in Granada, Spain with a host family for a month and briefly got to see London and Rome as well.

I've also been doing a lot of traveling this year to make up for the fact that I rarely traveled growing up. This year alone I've visited Las Vegas, D.C., Europe, and New Orleans. I look forward to doing even more traveling next year.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/29/17 at 9:13 am

I felt like the music of this year left a lot to be desired. I only have 25 songs on my Spotifly playlist, and some of them are actually from 2016. One of them is "Bad and Bougie" by Migos. I don't care for trap but that's one song I liked at least the first few times I heard it. The only music I really liked from this year are from Ed Sheeran, "Something Just Like This" by the Chainsmokers, "Slide" by Calvin Harris, "Despacito", and "Mi Gente".

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/29/17 at 9:38 am

I felt like the music of this year left a lot to be desired. I only have 25 songs on my Spotifly playlist, and some of them are actually from 2016. One of them is "Bad and Bougie" by Migos. I don't care for trap but that's one song I liked at least the first few times I heard it. The only music I really liked from this year are from Ed Sheeran, "Something Just Like This" by the Chainsmokers, "Slide" by Calvin Harris, "Despacito", and "Mi Gente".
Now that the year is almost over, I am reflecting on the year past, as from music, all I can say it is Ed Sheeran that stand out for me, especially "Perfect Symphony" dueting with Andrea Bocelli.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 12/30/17 at 10:01 am

Musically I think this year has been the best since 2012 so that's a positive. My personal life has been not very eventful, but very healthy and stable which is much more than I can say for some of the previous years this decade.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/31/17 at 10:01 am

One thing I forgot to mention, which might actually be the best thing to come out in 2017 is the Nintendo Switch. Along with it came two great games: Legend of Zelda BotW and Super Mario Odyssey.

Written By: kingofthetemple on 12/31/17 at 12:11 pm

I have a feeling 2018 will be wild,crazy,energetic and fun year!

Written By: muppethammer26 on 12/31/17 at 4:46 pm

The last people born before 2000 turned 18 today.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/31/17 at 4:48 pm

Got a Nintendo Switch, my 12+ year old dog died, and I started Culinary classes. I joined PersonalityCafe and InThe00s this year, and I'm glad I did!

I am sorry about your dog.  ):

Written By: Longaotian00 on 12/31/17 at 5:44 pm

The last people born before 2000 turned 18 today.

Now there are people born in the 2000s who are legal adults :-X :o

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/01/18 at 6:06 pm

My personal 2017 overview:

January-April 2017: Felt like an extension of late 2016. I was still feeling the same way I did then.

May 2017: When things started changing for me personally. I met a new friend and we still talk to this day. I went to the carnival with her and my other friends and we went on pretty fun rides. We went on a school field trip as well.

June-mid-August 2017: Hands down, the absolute best part of 2017. I celebrated my 15th birthday in June, I watched movies with friends, I went swimming, I found out about Personality Cafe and inthe00s, I made another new friend that I still talk to almost every day. I honestly already miss it.

Late August-October 2017: When I went back to school and had homework again, but it still went great. Although in October I got bit by my dog and had to get stitches for the second time and for the exact same reason, and this time it happened on Friday the 13th. I went trick-or-treating with my friend and we were doing stupid stuff.

November-December 2017: Meh. Wasn't really the best, but the Thanksgiving dinner was good as hell. I didn't really do much this time, to be honest. I did spend the New Years Eve night with my friend, which was a nice way to end 2017 and start 2018. I also got a chance to hang out with a cousin I haven't really met before.

Written By: mjstudios97 on 01/02/18 at 2:54 am

In 2017, I was mostly lonely and usually spent my days at home. I slept a lot this year, and also had really bad sleeping problems in the night. I thought 2017 would be the year I would pass my exams to become a licensed medical coder, which I had been taking classes since late 2016, but I didn't end up taking it yet. I honestly have nothing to complain, but I am fairly disappointed by my poor decision making and choices that really didn't allow me to progress at all. It feels like wasted time. Overall, I truly began to see all the division in everyday politics and the caustic side of Facebook, YouTube and Twitter, in arguments and debates, but I honestly got more used to it then I did the year before. People are more heavily scrutinized, and criticized for actions and comments online or publicly. Maybe, it's just part of getting older and realizing you can't just please everybody.  ;D
Aside from that, there were also the shooting events close to home, like in Las Vegas, and the Sutherland Springs in Texas and the annual natural disasters seemed to magnify to me in significance like the hurricane season in TX and FL, earthquakes, etc... and the continuous toll on people by terroristic groups, and military operations, one event that stood out to me like the sarin toxic gas attack video that went viral. I hope 2018 goes better for all of you.

Check for new replies or respond here...