inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is hipster culture past its peak?

Written By: bchris02 on 12/26/17 at 10:02 pm

One thing that separates 2017 from 2013-2016 in my opinion is the lack of the prominence of hipster culture.  It's almost become like emo in 2009.  It still exists but it's not really the new "in" thing anymore.  While people still have beards, people don't carry around portable record players as much anymore and the vaping fad seems to be dying down.  Hipster fads like craft beer have become mainstream and probably aren't going anywhere.  Hipster music however hasn't had much of a presence in Top 40 in 2017.  I am mostly going on what I see in the media as I live in an area that is generally a behind on trends, especially when it comes to fashion.  So what are your thoughts.  Have we past peak hipster?

Personally I would say it peaked in 2015 and plateaued in 2016 before dropping off quickly in 2017.

Subject: Re: Is hipster culture past its peak?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/26/17 at 10:07 pm

I think it is. I honestly haven't seen anything associated with the hipster culture all this year. I'm glad to see it go because it was an embarrassment to fashion, and it will look dated in the future.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/26/17 at 10:09 pm

Is the man bun still in? I don't mind it, I'm just curious!  :D

Written By: bchris02 on 12/26/17 at 10:20 pm

I think it is. I honestly haven't seen anything associated with the hipster culture all this year. I'm glad to see it go because it was an embarrassment to fashion, and it will look dated in the future.

To me it's to the '10s what emo was to the '00s.  Only emo was mostly a teen thing and the hipster fad was heavily twentysomething focused.  I think a lot of emo kids became hipsters and were at the forefront of it.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/26/17 at 10:27 pm

To me, it's to the '10s what emo was to the '00s.  Only emo was mostly a teen thing, and the hipster fad was heavily twentysomething focused.  I think a lot of emo kids became hipsters and were at the forefront of it.
They probably were. I think that's also why we had hipster influenced indie music back in 2011-12. All those songs that were part of the genre look out of place compared to everything else in the mainstream at that time.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 12/27/17 at 7:29 am

Apparently, these hipsters have lasted even longer than what I thought.

Someone posted about two or three years ago about seeing a hipster in 1997 wearing a yellow sweater and thick-rimmed glasses going into some record store or library (forgot location, but I did see a post about this in around 2015).

Written By: ofkx on 12/27/17 at 9:52 am

It peaked around 2013/14. You will not find songs like this anywhere near the billboard hot 100 nowadays, but this was number 12 in the billboard hot 100 year-end in 2013 :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvCBSSwgtg4&index=12&list=PLIH9GR9whhPQQ8cHaSHD-su6p9lNonuKM
I believe that hipster will be seen as the most iconic subculture of the 10s the same way emo is seen as the most iconic subculture of the 00s

Written By: kr37 on 12/27/17 at 12:40 pm

I would call 2013 the peak as that is the year I most associate with hipsters. A Google Trends search also reveals that from 2010-2017, searches for "hipsters" peaked between October 2011 and April 2013, so quite early in the 10s. There has been a steady decline for the term since spring of 2013, and especially after the start of 2016, if Google can tell us this.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/27/17 at 1:02 pm

It peaked around 2013/14. You will not find songs like this anywhere near the billboard hot 100 nowadays, but this was number 12 in the billboard hot 100 year-end in 2013 :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvCBSSwgtg4&index=12&list=PLIH9GR9whhPQQ8cHaSHD-su6p9lNonuKM
I believe that hipster will be seen as the most iconic subculture of the 10s the same way emo is seen as the most iconic subculture of the 00s

I agree with this.  Hipster culture is the iconic culture of the '10s.  2016 was the last year that really had hipsterish rock in the charts and even then, it was stuff like TwentyOne Pilots which is probably too mainstream for true hipsters.  Their style is heavily influenced by hipster culture however.  I will also say that I believe that Trumpism and the conservative resurgence is directly connected to the decline of hipster culture.

The core hipster era in my opinion runs from late 2012 through late 2016/early 2017.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/27/17 at 6:00 pm

Indie/hipster culture peaked mostly around 2012 and 2013. That's when we had bands like fun., Gotye, Bastille, and Neon Trees achieving legit chart success, as well as the period the indie scene in general flourished the most in popular circles. With emo finally dead, fedoras, thrift shop clothes, and nose-pinched singing voices filled in the artsy, counterculture void. I distinctly remember my college years being the time everybody else around me was into hipster music and I felt like a dumbass just because I listened to poppy dance music from the past.

The indie scene declined as the mid-2010s progressed, with commercial electronica elements basically swallowing up the scene. Nowadays, hardly anybody takes new music seriously, instead they just spend all their free time binge-watching television shows and then discussing them with their friends.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/28/17 at 7:48 pm

It depends on what you mean specifically. From a musical standpoint; indie/hipster music seemed to had peaked around 2012 or 2013 (for reasons already explained). The bohemian lifestyle of being Hipster also seemed to had peaked around the 2012/2013 area. However, (ironically) the success of 'hipsterism', especially after the hot release of Thrift Shop by Macklemore, popularized the trend, especially in fashion.

In that sense I remember the Hipster fad in relation to fashion trends peaking around the 2014/2015 mark (tartan shirts, beards, man buns, high waisted shorts, fedoras, etc.). 2016 was the last year that had any of these Hipster trends in relevance, I've noticed that these trends sort of just plateaued in 16', and have been on a steady decline throughout 17'. 2018 looks like the final nail in the coffin for hipster trends in fashion.

Perhaps I'm a bit biased though since I live in the Northeast (which is typically more fashion forward than other parts of the country), but since late last year, most people where I live now dress more clean cut and embellished than they would have even just a year or two ago. Name brands like:

Forever 21,
Calvin Klein I know plenty of girls that are into their lingerie ;),
FILA,
Adidas, etc. are VERY big now here in the NY/NJ/CT area for many teens & 20 somethings.

The color scheme for many outfits people wear are also much more colorful now than it was a couple of years ago. Plus, the type of jewelry girls and guys wear is much more gaudy, not as obtuse as those rhinestone belts or Ed Hardy shirts from the late 2000's/early 2010's, but clearly less 'authentic' and 'meek' as the fashion trends of the mid 2010's.

Like Bchris mentioned; I think the staleness of the hipster movement along with the combined resurgence in a more rightwing/flashy approach to fashion not seen since the Late 2000's is contributing to an overall change in fashion.

Written By: BornIn86 on 12/28/17 at 10:20 pm

Indie/hipster culture peaked mostly around 2012 and 2013. That's when we had bands like fun., Gotye, Bastille, and Neon Trees achieving legit chart success, as well as the period the indie scene in general flourished the most in popular circles. With emo finally dead, fedoras, thrift shop clothes, and nose-pinched singing voices filled in the artsy, counterculture void. I distinctly remember my college years being the time everybody else around me was into hipster music and I felt like a dumbass just because I listened to poppy dance music from the past.

The indie scene declined as the mid-2010s progressed, with commercial electronica elements basically swallowing up the scene. Nowadays, hardly anybody takes new music seriously, instead they just spend all their free time binge-watching television shows and then discussing them with their friends.

Oh my god. Finally. An assessment of hipsterism on this board that I agree with!

Check for new replies or respond here...