inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Songs Of 2017

Written By: Bab2781 on 12/27/17 at 3:51 pm

I gotta go with Portugal. The Man

Subject: Re: Songs Of 2017

Written By: violet_shy on 12/27/17 at 3:55 pm

I chose " Chained to the Rhythm" by Katy Perry. Love it!

Written By: Longaotian00 on 12/27/17 at 4:11 pm

Kendrick Lamar - "Humble". Although, there's so many left out.

Written By: nally on 12/27/17 at 4:54 pm

Of the ones listed, I seem to like "Stay" by Zedd & Alessia Cara (who I think should be credited/listed, since she provides pretty much all the vocals) the best.

Written By: Emman on 12/27/17 at 5:09 pm

The only song on this list I can tolerate is Humble, 2017 music sucks 8-P.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/27/17 at 5:52 pm

Of these, "Praying."

Written By: Slim95 on 12/27/17 at 6:40 pm

I liked Something just like this by the Chainsmokers.

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/27/17 at 7:41 pm

I wish I could choose more than one because I think 2017 has been an amazing year for music. I chose Bodak Yellow.

Written By: pink.panda_v3 on 12/27/17 at 7:42 pm

Bodak Yellow! :D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/27/17 at 7:59 pm

Humble

I wish I could choose more than one because I think 2017 has been an amazing year for music. I chose Bodak Yellow.

Bodak Yellow! :D
It's your opinions that it was good, but in general it was awful. ;) How that song reached the top 10 is beyond me. 8-P

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/27/17 at 8:05 pm

Humble
It's your opinions that it was good, but in general it was awful. ;) How that song reached the top 10 is beyond me. 8-P

Well, it's your opinion that it was generally awful too.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/27/17 at 8:07 pm

None of those.

Charlie Puth, How Long.  ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/27/17 at 8:16 pm

Well, it's your opinion that it was awful too.
Not at all. ;). A lot of people had a distaste for it as well.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/27/17 at 8:21 pm

Yes it is. It's still an opinion. I hated the song too but doesn't mean it is objectively bad because it is all opinion. Music is subjective. Just because most people find it bad, doesn't mean it actually is. Everyone has their own opinion and one is not more valid than another. And given the fact that it is the winner right now according to the poll by a good margin, it looks like most people do like it.  :P I hate it personally though.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/27/17 at 8:32 pm

I like Cardi B's song even though it's bad.  :)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/27/17 at 8:37 pm

Yes, it is. It's still an opinion. I hated the song too but doesn't mean it is objectively bad because it is all opinion. Music is subjective. Just because most people find it bad, doesn't mean it is. Everyone has their own opinion, and one is not more valid than another. And given the fact that it is the winner right now according to the poll by a good margin, it looks like most people do like it.  :P I hate it personally though.
I don't expect that song to be #1 as the song of 2017 on this topic. I can see it changing soon. I mean, I like some snap rap myself, but I knew from the beginning the subgenre was horrible.

I like Cardi B's song even though it's bad.  :)
I knew it! I'm aware that some people will like it, but objectively it's terrible.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/27/17 at 8:39 pm

I don't expect that song to be #1 as the song of 2017 on this topic. I can see it changing soon. I mean, I like some snap rap myself, but I knew from the beginning the subgenre was horrible.
I knew it! I'm aware that some people will like it, but objectively it's terrible.

Oh no, I'm afraid Slim95 is right. There's no objective truth in art.  ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 12/27/17 at 8:52 pm

Yeah music is subjective. My metal head friends think rap is garbage but I think it is a great genre. It all depends what you're into.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/27/17 at 8:58 pm

Yeah music is subjective. My metal head friends think rap is garbage but I think it is a great genre. It all depends what you're into.
http://www.debate.org/debates/Music-can-be-objective-listing-all-songs-in-order-from-good-to-bad-is-possible./1/

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/27/17 at 9:05 pm

It's still an opinion. The whole entire world can hate it but it's an opinion.  :P

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/27/17 at 9:21 pm

It's still an opinion. The whole world can hate it, but it's an opinion.  :P
I hope you understand that a song's objective criticism isn't about the genre it's in, but rather the content, lyrics, melody, etc.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/27/17 at 9:22 pm

I hope you understand that a song's objective criticism isn't about the genre it's in, but rather the content, lyrics, melody, etc.

And some people may like the content, lyrics, and melody. It isn't objective, it is an opinion. Music can never be objective. There is no music God who knows what's good and what's not.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/27/17 at 9:29 pm

And some people may like the content, lyrics, and melody. It isn't objective; it is an opinion. Music can never be objective. There is no music God who knows what's good and what's not.
I think it's difficult for people to like all three aspects (and more) of a song. There will be folks who like the lyrics, but not the melody and so on.

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/27/17 at 10:45 pm

None of the great guitar music from 2017 is on this list, does not compute.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/28/17 at 12:12 am

Other:

"Perfect Symphony", Ed Sheeran and Andrea Bocelli, released on 15 December 2017, and "Perfect" became the UK Christmas number-one song for 2017.

Subject: Songs Of 2017

Written By: Dude111 on 12/28/17 at 2:20 am

Hmmmmmm I couldnt find the option for none of the above ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/28/17 at 2:28 am

btw, no Gregory Porter?

Written By: SailorSteven2017 on 12/28/17 at 4:20 pm

2017 was an excellent year for music and sets a high bar for next year! Here are only a few songs I know (and love) that I can name off the top of my head. Okay, maybe not a few, but you know what I mean?  8)

1. Let 'Em Talk by Kesha & Eagles of Death Metal (SO GOOD!!! I'm glad she's back and free)
2. How Long by Charlie Puth
3. Bad At Love Halsey
4. That's What I Like by Bruno Mars
5. Look What You Made Me Do by Taylor Swift (Sorry.... the old Taylor can't come to the phone right now.... why... Oh!.... because she's dead!)
6. something..... something..... idk what to put here.....
7. End Game by Taylor Swift
8. Learn To Let go by Kesha
9. Slow Hands by Niall Horan
10. Candy Cane Lane by Sia
11. Despacito by Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee
12. Good Old Days by Kesha & Macklemore
13. New Rules by Dua Lipa

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/28/17 at 5:57 pm

And some people may like the content, lyrics, and melody. It isn't objective, it is an opinion. Music can never be objective. There is no music God who knows what's good and what's not.

This.

Written By: nally on 12/28/17 at 6:04 pm

Yes it is. It's still an opinion. I hated the song too but doesn't mean it is objectively bad because it is all opinion. Music is subjective. Just because most people find it bad, doesn't mean it actually is. Everyone has their own opinion and one is not more valid than another. And given the fact that it is the winner right now according to the poll by a good margine, it looks like most people do like it.  :P I hate it personally though.

Totally agreed on this.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/29/17 at 3:02 am

IMO, song of the year "Perfect" by Ed Sheeran, and the same song in duet with Andrea Bocelli.

btw, not listed above.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/29/17 at 10:33 am

IMO, song of the year "Perfect" by Ed Sheeran, and the same song in duet with Andrea Bocelli.

btw, not listed above.

I like the "Castle on the Hill" song. It reminds me of the old Enrique Iglesias song "Sweet Escape".

Written By: nally on 12/29/17 at 11:10 am

I like the "Castle on the Hill" song. It reminds me of the old Enrique Iglesias song "Sweet Escape".

I remember Gwen Stefani having a song with that title back in 2007, but not Enrique. However, I do remember him having a hit with "Escape" in early 2002.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 12/29/17 at 5:41 pm

I liked many songs that are not listed here this year but out i these I really liked Miley Cyrus's Malibu. It just sounded so relaxed and refreshing to me!

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/30/17 at 11:50 am

I remember Gwen Stefani having a song with that title back in 2007, but not Enrique. However, I do remember him having a hit with "Escape" in early 2002.

The song is just called "Escape". Here is the video.

9mQJaXwGPlg

Here is the "Castle on the Hill" video. In fact, I thought the song was called "Castle in the Sky" until I checked it.

K0ibBPhiaG0

Written By: Slim95 on 12/30/17 at 1:55 pm

Ed Sheeran was very popular this year.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/30/17 at 1:58 pm

Ed Sheeran was very popular this year.
...and still is popular!

Check for new replies or respond here...