inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will 2018 be the year everything changes?

Written By: Milk on 12/31/17 at 3:34 pm

Pop culture  socially, economical, and political wise? These past few years have been pretty similar tbqh so I'm wondering if we'll see anything different in 2018?

Subject: Re: Will 2018 be the year everything changes?

Written By: HeyJealousy on 12/31/17 at 4:52 pm

Yes and no. That's my frank opinion.

The changes won't be drastic, but you'll notice them.

Self-driving cars could be more commonplace towards the end of the year, but don't expect them to pop out of nowhere.

Pop culture should evolve, but gradually. Trap won't bite the dust overnight. EDM will evolve into a more futuristic AND mature sound, none of that poppy "Shape Of You" junk. But it won't transform overnight, you'll notice the changes as the next couple of years go by.

So in short: 2018 alone won't change everything. However, the 2018-2022 era just might prove to be a VERY changeful era, all things considered.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/31/17 at 5:03 pm

I think that 2019 will be the shift, at the earliest.  :o

Written By: #Infinity on 12/31/17 at 5:24 pm

Some things will change.

Some things will not change.

Same as every year.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/31/17 at 5:38 pm

2018 is gonna kick butt.  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 12/31/17 at 6:37 pm

2018 is gonna kick butt.  8)

It's morphin time!  8)

Written By: Shemp97 on 12/31/17 at 6:48 pm

We're definitely going to see the seeds of the early 2020s planted this year if we haven't already. We're way too close to the year 2020 for pop culture, politics or tech to change drastically now.

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/01/18 at 10:02 am

Haven't things already changed? In 2017 we saw:

- The beginning of the Age of Trump (and the gradual breakdown of the federal government)
- The beginning of the end for Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga
- The 2010s-style pop movement is losing steam fast (stuff from dancehall to trap to whatever you call what Katy Perry does)
- The return of guitars to pop songs and rock to mainstream radio
- The return of military and cop-themed shows to primetime television
- The political resistance against Republicans, while at the same time the social justice component is becoming less emphasized
- The death of the blockbuster film

Those are pretty significant whiplash changes from just 2016.

Written By: John Titor on 01/01/18 at 10:03 am

- The beginning of the Age of Trump (and the gradual breakdown of the federal government)
- The 2010s-style pop movement is losing steam fast (stuff from dancehall to trap to whatever you call what Katy Perry does)
- The political resistance against Republicans, while at the same time the social justice component is becoming less emphasized

TRL as well, death of the late 2000s artists popularity , family sitcoms coming back, Fuller House, Rosanne, Hallmark channel become the #2 network on cable

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/01/18 at 10:05 am

TRL as well, death of the late 2000s artists popularity , family sitcoms coming back, Fuller House, Rosanne, Hallmark channel become the #2 network on cable

Who is this supposed to be: T-Pain and Coldplay? But yes, fully agreed on everything you listed.

Written By: John Titor on 01/01/18 at 10:11 am

Who is this supposed to be: T-Pain and Coldplay? But yes, fully agreed on everything you listed.

Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Kesha

Yes they have songs that come out and are on Billboard but the hype for them is all gone, Katy Perry is cringe her songs do not even chart and shes on American Idol now as a legacy act judge, Lady Gaga is going to be doing shows in Vegas now.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/01/18 at 2:41 pm

We will have to wait and see.

Written By: kingofthetemple on 01/01/18 at 3:57 pm

Yeah late 2018 will probably have some kind of shift.

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/01/18 at 4:04 pm

Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Kesha

Yes they have songs that come out and are on Billboard but the hype for them is all gone, Katy Perry is cringe her songs do not even chart and shes on American Idol now as a legacy act judge, Lady Gaga is going to be doing shows in Vegas now.

Wait, Chained to the Rhythm didn't chart?

Written By: Slim95 on 01/02/18 at 12:17 am

Yes it absolutely will imo. I think the changes will drastic and we will see a huge transformation both pop culturally and in the world in general. It will be a huge year of change, just wait and you guys will see. If I'm wrong, I will eat my words, but I just have a big feeling about it.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/02/18 at 12:18 am

Nope, the changes happened in 2016. 2017 wasn't transitional. We are now waiting for the changes that set us up into 2020s culture, and I believe we will see this in 2018.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/02/18 at 2:00 am

Nope, the changes happened in 2016. 2017 wasn't transitional. We are now waiting for the changes that set us up into 2020s culture, and I believe we will see this in 2018.

The more I think, the more I realize we can only see things, fully, in retrospect. Late 2016 may have been 'the shift', but 2018 could be looked as 'the shift' ten years from now. With 2018 to 2021 as a 'sub-era'. Who knows?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/02/18 at 12:47 pm

I think some people here are exaggerating the changes that could take place this year. For one, there are lots of current trends still going on such as Trap rap, EDM, Superhero films, offensive/SJW culture, etc. and they could stay that way for the rest of the year. I can see 2018 bringing in a little change, but it will not be the year where everything is going to transform across the broad spectrum. That's more for 2020.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 01/02/18 at 1:13 pm

I think some people here are underestimating the changes that could take place this year. For one, there are lots of current trends still going on such as Trap rap, EDM, Superhero films, offensive/SJW culture, etc. and they could stay that way for the rest of the year. I can see 2018 bringing in a little change, but it will not be the year where everything is going to transform across the broad spectrum. That's more for 2020.

EDM is here to stay, I think, but the sound will undergo significant changes as we close in on the next decade.
Trap rap is dying a slow death, though it's still relevant.
Like I said, the changes will be slow and subtle but steady. Sep 2018 should feel different from Dec 2017, and Jan 2020 will feel different from Sep 2018.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/02/18 at 1:34 pm

EDM is here to stay, I think, but the sound will undergo significant changes as we close in on the next decade.
Trap rap is dying a slow death, though it's still relevant.
As I said, the changes will be slow and subtle but steady. Sep 2018 should feel different from Dec 2017, and Jan 2020 will be different from Sep 2018.
Agreed! That's why I mentioned that there would be small changes, but not significant ones like some users here are predicting. I see 2020 being the transformative year.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/02/18 at 3:03 pm

I think 2018 will be the most transformative year since 2008. A very big transitional year we haven't seen in a long time. Having said that, brace yourselves because even though things will change I think things will get ugly too. It won't be good. My bet is cryptocurrency will emerge this year and become huge and major war will outbreak. I would not be surprised if a nuclear bomb goes off this year. At the same time, pop culture will change dramatically as its been stale for quite some time now.

Marijuana will be fully legalized here and that will change a lot things. There are many elections going on in the provinces this year like in Ontario and New Brunswick so those will be interesting to follow. This will be the year before the next election (already!) so politics will make a buzz this year and the media will be all over it. I think the 2018 - 2019 school year will be very changeful, this will be when the UK exits the EU too in May of 2019. The economy is improving here as well. Lots in store for the last two years of this decade.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/02/18 at 3:04 pm

I think 2018 will be the most transformative year since 2008. A very big transitional year we haven't seen in a long time. Having said that, brace yourselves because even though things will change I think things will get ugly too. It won't be good. My bet is cryptocurrency will emerge this year and become huge and major war will outbreak. I would not be surprised if a nuclear bomb goes off this year. At the same time, pop culture will change dramatically as its been stale for quite some time now.

I do hope the pop culture changes. Don’t get me wrong I do like the current songs, but I’m excited and ready for something new.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/02/18 at 3:09 pm

I do hope the pop culture changes. Don’t get me wrong I do like the current songs, but I’m excited and ready for something new.

I believe it will by the end of this year. I have a feeling we will notice music noticeably change this year.

Written By: duenas8 on 01/02/18 at 4:34 pm

2018 will be the year where bezel-less cell phones become mainstream and more AR games will be popular in the market (Harry Potter Wizards Unites and Ingress Prime) which these trends are the beginning of the new Internet that we’ll see in the early 2020’s

Written By: 80sfan on 01/02/18 at 5:04 pm

Paul Logan got in trouble for laughing, like a psychopath, at a death corpse, in Suicide Forest, in Japan.  >:(

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/02/18 at 5:22 pm

Paul Logan got in trouble for laughing, like a psychopath, at a death corpse, in Suicide Forest, in Japan.  >:(

That video is everywhere on Instagram

Written By: 80sfan on 01/02/18 at 5:24 pm

That video is everywhere on Instagram

I get that he may have laughed out of nervousness/not knowing what to say. But he could have edited it out.
He's weird.  :o

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/02/18 at 5:26 pm

I get that he may have laughed out of nervousness/not knowing what to say. But he could have edited it out.
He's weird.  :o

Yeah, I know, and it was kind of rude for him to just show the dead person.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/02/18 at 5:28 pm

Late 2016 was when everything changed but it may change again. Late 2016-mid 2018 could be a mini-era with late 2018 being the change, similar to Late 2008 being the shift away from the Late 2006-Mid 2008 era with the Recession, Obama's election, electropop, etc.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/02/18 at 6:15 pm

Late 2016 was when everything changed but it may change again. Late 2016-mid 2018 could be a mini-era with late 2018 being the change, similar to Late 2008 being the shift away from the Late 2006-Mid 2008 era with the Recession, Obama's election, electropop, etc.

Yes exactly. This is what I think will happen (like what happened in the '00s). I think 2018 will be a big shift, much bigger than the one in 2016 and we will leave the core 2010s this year. I think we are definitely still in the core 2010s, but that may change after this year.

Written By: kingofthetemple on 01/02/18 at 7:32 pm

Marijuana will be fully legalized here and that will change a lot things. There are many elections going on in the provinces this year like in Ontario and New Brunswick so those will be interesting to follow. This will be the year before the next election (already!) so politics will make a buzz this year and the media will be all over it. I think the 2018 - 2019 school year will be very changeful, this will be when the UK exits the EU too in May of 2019. The economy is improving here as well. Lots in store for the last two years of this decade.
yeah this year will be the change and probably be the change and spawn a new culture until 2021 when trump gets reelected or a new president and I hardly doubt 2020 will be the change that's 1 year before a new president 2020 will be part of the 2018-2021 era.So I agree with slim.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/02/18 at 8:14 pm

I think by the end of this year, things like "nuclear climate change" and "fallout contamination" will be things we are hearing about in the news.  I think the economy is going to collapse this year and it's going to be a much worse collapse than 2008.  There is a good chance a few major US cities will no longer exist at the end of this year.  Trump supporters will be saying it's all worth it because of transgender bathrooms and gay marriage.  In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the LGBT community becomes somewhat of a scapegoat (conservatives are already saying that God is going to destroy the country because of gay marriage).

This is going to be one hell of a year and not in a good way.  I already miss 2017 because while it wasn't the best year of my life, it was the calm before the storm.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/02/18 at 9:09 pm

I think by the end of this year, things like "nuclear climate change" and "fallout contamination" will be things we are hearing about in the news.  I think the economy is going to collapse this year and it's going to be a much worse collapse than 2008.  There is a good chance a few major US cities will no longer exist at the end of this year.  Trump supporters will be saying it's all worth it because of transgender bathrooms and gay marriage.  In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the LGBT community becomes somewhat of a scapegoat (conservatives are already saying that God is going to destroy the country because of gay marriage).

This is going to be one hell of a year and not in a good way.  I already miss 2017 because while it wasn't the best year of my life, it was the calm before the storm.

I already miss 2017 especially the summer.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/03/18 at 12:55 pm

I think by the end of this year, things like "nuclear climate change" and "fallout contamination" will be things we are hearing about in the news.  I think the economy is going to collapse this year and it's going to be a much worse collapse than 2008. There is a good chance a few major US cities will no longer exist at the end of this year.  Trump supporters will be saying it's all worth it because of transgender bathrooms and gay marriage.  In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the LGBT community becomes somewhat of a scapegoat (conservatives are already saying that God is going to destroy the country because of gay marriage).

It could just be a correction and not a crash. 

Written By: ofkx on 01/03/18 at 3:52 pm

I hope so. It seems that a lot of iconic 10s artists like Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, etc... are losing relevancy and are being replaced by artists like Khaled, Post Malone, Camilla Cabello, and other new artists. Plus Latin music and Kpop is in now so that's new as well. But 10s culture has been pretty consistent so we might not really see an actual shift until 2019/early 20s.

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/03/18 at 8:37 pm

I hope so. It seems that a lot of iconic 10s artists like Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, etc... are losing relevancy and are being replaced by artists like Khaled, Post Malone, Camilla Cabello, and other new artists. Plus Latin music and Kpop is in now so that's new as well. But 10s culture has been pretty consistent so we might not really see an actual shift until 2019/early 20s.

K-pop is in? Man, where was I when this happened?

Written By: John Titor on 01/04/18 at 11:51 am

K-pop is in? Man, where was I when this happened?

BTS

Written By: bchris02 on 01/04/18 at 1:51 pm

Well...January 4, 2018 is the day that legal marijuana died.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/04/us/politics/marijuana-legalization-justice-department-prosecutions.html

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/04/18 at 2:59 pm

Until the states defy him anyway, the same as they have on the travel ban, net neutrality, the tax bill, and even some environmental stuff.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/04/18 at 4:56 pm

BTS

I've heard of them. They're not huge, though. At least not in the US. At least not yet.  8)

Written By: ofkx on 01/04/18 at 5:49 pm

I've heard of them. They're not huge, though. At least not in the US. At least not yet.  8)

They actually performed on Ryan Seacrest's new years eve show.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/04/18 at 6:19 pm

They actually performed on Ryan Seacrest's new years eve show.

They're probably on their way to becoming huge, especially in the US.
But they're kind of like Madonna in 1983, or even the first half of 1984. Yeah, she
was heading towards huge fame, but she was nowhere near being fully
famous until very late in 1984, or 1985!

Written By: Slim95 on 01/04/18 at 6:33 pm

Yeah BTS was performing at the American music awards and on some other American shows and they are getting a lot of buzz from people now. I don't know if they will become huge, but they sure are on track to becoming huge as they already have a popular presence in America. But truthfully even if KPop was popular, that isn't a new genre (same as latin pop) so what's the big deal? I'm waiting for a brand new genre and sound in popular music that is fresh, not a repeat of existing genres or past genres. I'm waiting for something to emerge from the underground like vaporwave or electro swing or some other unique and new genres.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/05/18 at 12:16 pm

2018 is already starting to feel like it will be different from the core 2010's. Just hearing the songs on "2018: The Year in Music" thread just makes me think that.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/05/18 at 12:21 pm

2018 is already starting to feel like it will be different from the core 2010's. Just hearing the songs on "2018: The Year in Music" thread just makes me think that.

I agree

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/05/18 at 12:50 pm

I agree
Uhhhh, now don't get too far ahead of your yourselves just yet. The music might be changing, but that's only one aspect of popular culture. Let's wait to see if the movies, video games, fashion, politics, technology, etc. make a significant impact first as well; then we can conclude.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/05/18 at 12:53 pm

Uhhhh, now don't get too far ahead of your yourselves just yet. The music might be changing, but that's only one aspect of popular culture. Let's wait to see if the movies, video games, fashion, politics, technology etc. make a significant impact first as well; then we can make a conslcuion.

It still feels different to me, because I don't usually watch that much movies or pay attention to fashion or that other stuff. If you're just the kind of person who likes to see what new songs are coming out then it'll feel different.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/05/18 at 1:19 pm

Uhhhh, now don't get too far ahead of your yourselves just yet. The music might be changing, but that's only one aspect of popular culture. Let's wait to see if the movies, video games, fashion, politics, technology etc. make a significant impact first as well; then we can make a conslcuion.

I agree. Let's wait a few months.  ;D

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/05/18 at 1:22 pm

Yes, but I am of the mind that the music is usually the first medium where the cultural change is obvious. Hence why you could see hints of the 2010s style as early into the core 2000s as 2007 with Umbrella by Rihanna.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/05/18 at 1:32 pm

Yes, but I am of the mind that the music is usually the first medium where the cultural change is obvious. Hence why you could see hints of the 2010s style as early into the core 2000s as 2007 with Umbrella by Rihanna.

I would disagree here.  Umbrella is a very late '00s and that sound didn't make it much past 2010.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/05/18 at 1:46 pm

It still feels different to me, because I don't usually watch that much movies or pay attention to fashion or that other stuff. If you're just the kind of person who likes to see what new songs are coming out, then it'll feel different.

Alright, I see your points and all, but just looking at the music alone is not the entire picture. So far, we still have superhero films, very little hipster fashion, people constantly getting offended by things (including small ones), the Kardashian klan, emojis, etc. that all make up the 10s culture.

Written By: ofkx on 01/05/18 at 2:05 pm

Alright, I see your points and all, but just looking at the music alone is not the entire picture. So far, we still have superhero films, very little hipster fashion, people constantly getting offended by things (including small ones), the Kardashian klan, emojis, etc. that all make up the 10s culture.

Y'all can stop mentioning this now 🙄.
Also, emojis aren't really a 2010s thing. They were a thing since the internet became a thing, and they probably won't go away in a long while.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/05/18 at 2:07 pm

I would say Sexy Back by Justin Timberlake in 2006 was the first little hints of the 2010s. But yeah Umbrella had that hint too.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/05/18 at 2:08 pm

Also, emojis aren't really a 2010s thing. They were a thing since the internet became a thing, and they probably won't go away in a long while.

Yeah but the emoji fad is a 2010s thing. Emoj dolls, Emoji Movie, Animoji are all culture 2010s things and they will go away soon. Emojis themselves may stay, but the particular fad we have been seeing lately is a 2010s thing.

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/05/18 at 2:54 pm

Quite the contrary, I would say the worst excesses of social justice culture have actually gone out the window now that we have our very democracy to worry about. People seem to be fighting less about BLM and microaggressions now that Republicans have openly threatened the freedom of press and due process.

So too hipster fashion, I think that officially went out the window in 2017. If anything, I've seen a mildly renewed interest in 00s fashion items such as baggy jeans and trading in fedoras for emo comb-overs Bieber cuts (again).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/05/18 at 7:53 pm

Also, emojis aren't a 2010s thing. They were a thing since the internet became a thing, and they probably won't go away in a long while.
This must not be affecting you considering I read that you're not an American. Over here, people have been offended by everything that happens whether they're jokes, cultural items, movements, etc. 

Yeah but the emoji fad is a 2010s thing. Emoji dolls, Emoji Movie, Animoji are all culture 2010s things, and they will go away soon. Emojis themselves may stay, but the particular fad we have seen lately is a 2010s thing.
This post is what I meant regarding the emojis. For the last few years, they have been everywhere; however, before that, they were only found in text messaging or social sites.

Quite the contrary, I would say the worst excesses of social justice culture have gone out the window now that we have our very democracy to worry about what's going to happen. People seem to be fighting less about BLM and microaggressions now that Republicans have openly threatened the freedom of the press and due process.

So too hipster fashion, I think that officially went out the window in 2017. If anything, I've seen a mildly renewed interest in 00s fashion items such as baggy jeans and trading in fedoras for emo comb-overs Bieber cuts (again).
I disagree with the first statement. Social justice is not just BLM, but also feminism, the #metoo movement, the LGBT, and so on. There's still plenty of that happening today. I agree with the second though. We need to do everything we can to kick them out of the government before it's too late.

That's why I said there was very little of it. It's honestly still somewhat here in fashion, but it's quickly declining in high numbers.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 01/05/18 at 8:33 pm

This must not be affecting you considering I read that you're not an American. Over here, people have been offended by everything that happens whether they're jokes, cultural items, movements, etc. 
This post is what I meant regarding the emojis. For the last few years, they have been everywhere; however, before that, they were only found in text messaging or social sites.
I disagree with the first statement. Social justice is not just BLM, but also feminism, the #metoo movement, the LGBT, and so on. There's still plenty of that happening today. I agree with the second though. We need to do everything we can to kick them out of the government before it's too late.

That's why I said there was very little of it. It's honestly still somewhat here in fashion, but it's quickly declining in high numbers.

"For the last few years, they have been everywhere; however, before that, they were only found in text messaging or social sites."

Ummmm, skip to 0:36. Mind you, this video is from the mid-2000s (when that website was in its prime).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2mTRscq1T8

Written By: HeyJealousy on 01/05/18 at 8:33 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2mTRscq1T8

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/05/18 at 8:44 pm

"For the last few years, they have been everywhere; however, before that, they were only found in text messaging or social sites."

Ummmm, skip to 0:36. Mind you; this video is from the mid-2000s (when that website was in its prime).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2mTRscq1T8
I saw the video. Yeah, that's what I mean. They were only found in text messaging, forums, emails and other social sites before they were mainstream.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/06/18 at 12:29 pm

2018 is turning out to be the best year of my life, so far.  :o

1998 had the pop culture thing going on, but my mental health was in the dumps, so there's that.

It's still to early to tell, but 1998 and 2018 are both equal, or in line, to competing with one another.

Check for new replies or respond here...