inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Now that its 2018 would it make sense for 2018 to be transitional or not?

Written By: kingofthetemple on 01/01/18 at 8:42 am

I know its just the begining of 2018 and nj fact just a day into 2018,but  with the 2010s seemingly following the 00s in transitional points it seems right that 2018 is a transitional year just like 2008 even if not I'm just over joyed its finally 2018 and couldn't be getting happier.But do you guys think this will be a big transition like 2008 was like will we see new big pop and stars like Katy and gaga in 08 will new pop stars explode.Will there also be a new TV show this year that comes out that will be a big part of the 2020s.But yeah I'm already feeling like things ate trying to shift but don't know how her,anyway Happy NEW YEAR inthe00s!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Subject: Re: Now that its 2018 would it make sense for 2018 to be transitional or not?

Written By: John Titor on 01/01/18 at 9:36 am

I know its just the begining of 2018 and nj fact just a day into 2018,but  with the 2010s seemingly following the 00s in transitional points it seems right that 2018 is a transitional year just like 2008 even if not I'm just over joyed its finally 2018 and couldn't be getting happier.But do you guys think this will be a big transition like 2008 was like will we see new big pop and stars like Katy and gaga in 08 will new pop stars explode.Will there also be a new TV show this year that comes out that will be a big part of the 2020s.But yeah I'm already feeling like things ate trying to shift but don't know how her,anyway Happy NEW YEAR inthe00s!!!!!!!!!!! :P

The transition happened in late 2016 and has been building all of 2017, a few examples as I have stated before:

-MTV's TRL is back
- Rap has overtaken POP on the charts
-Lumineers type music is dead
- Family sitcoms are back,  Fuller House, Rosanne (Hallmark channel 2# network on cable)
- SLing Tv and DirectvNow, Hulu LIVE taking over Cable
- Dad sneaker trend
-  SJW backlash
- Trump as president
- Death of Star Wars (people hate it now)
- Edm is waning badly
- Decline of Katy Perrys carrer

Subject: Re: Now that its 2018 would it make sense for 2018 to be transitional or not?

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/01/18 at 9:56 am

I am sticking to my guns and saying 2017 was the transitional year; 2018 will be the first year, culturally, of the 2020s. Much in the same way I would venture to say 2008 was the first official year of the 2010s, and 1998 for the early 2000s.

- Edm is waning badly

Wow, is all that true? When you say Lumineers, you mean like indie folk? And I thought EDM was doing better than ever. I'm not doubting you, but I would be interested to know where you're getting this info from.

Written By: John Titor on 01/01/18 at 10:06 am

I am sticking to my guns and saying 2017 was the transitional year; 2018 will be the first year, culturally, of the 2020s. Much in the same way I would venture to say 2008 was the first official year of the 2010s, and 1998 for the early 2000s.

Wow, is all that true? When you say Lumineers, you mean like indie folk? And I thought EDM was doing better than ever. I'm not doubting you, but I would be interested to know where you're getting this info from.

yeah its been dead forawhile, people cringe when they hear it, the only time you will ever hear it is on a commercial for Special K cereal or something

Calvin Harris straight out said EDM sucks and the festivals are lame

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/how-the-death-of-edm-brought-pop-music-one-step-closer-to-eternal-life/2017/08/02/51266594-73af-11e7-9eac-d56bd5568db8_story.html

"appear to be at the forefront of anyone’s mind. In 2015, Forbes reported that the EDM bubble was about to burst . In 2016, Pitchfork made the case that it had .

But this unofficial collapse hasn’t forced the star producers of EDM to unplug their laptops and register for the GRE"

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/01/18 at 10:22 am

yeah its been dead forawhile, people cringe when they hear it, the only time you will ever hear it is on a commercial for Special K cereal or something

Calvin Harris straight out said EDM sucks and the festivals are lame

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/how-the-death-of-edm-brought-pop-music-one-step-closer-to-eternal-life/2017/08/02/51266594-73af-11e7-9eac-d56bd5568db8_story.html

"appear to be at the forefront of anyone’s mind. In 2015, Forbes reported that the EDM bubble was about to burst . In 2016, Pitchfork made the case that it had .

But this unofficial collapse hasn’t forced the star producers of EDM to unplug their laptops and register for the GRE"

That's the thing though - journalists can proclaim the death of EDM all they want, but it doesn't matter if people are still buying those tickets.

Written By: John Titor on 01/01/18 at 10:36 am

That's the thing though - journalists can proclaim the death of EDM all they want, but it doesn't matter if people are still buying those tickets.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EDM/comments/6ef54e/is_edm_struggling_lately/

The reason why they're adding pop and hip hop acts is because the general public is starting to get bored of edm and they've seen a decline of ticket sales of festivals in the past few years.

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/01/18 at 10:38 am

Well then, I stand corrected. Anyway, with the 2020s almost fully upon us, if you had to extrapolate our current music trends into the future, what do you foresee the future of mainstream music looking like? I know it's a popular opinion here to point to the new pop punk acts on the radio, the recent string of Latin pop hits, or some of the new rap singles that sound like they came out of the 00s, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Written By: John Titor on 01/01/18 at 10:41 am

Well then, I stand corrected. Anyway, with the 2020s almost fully upon us, if you had to extrapolate our current music trends into the future, what do you foresee the future of mainstream music looking like? I know it's a popular opinion here to point to the new pop punk acts on the radio, the recent string of Latin pop hits, or some of the new rap singles that sound like they came out of the 00s, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

More Rap acts,  Pop Punks comeback to the mainstream, more pop acts using r&b/rap influences and changing up their style.

TBA:  Boy bands return

Why Dont we, Pretty Much etc, BTS

I will quote you again with some youtube vids to back up my claims

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/01/18 at 10:44 am

I feel as if 2018 will be the last full year when 2010's culture is more dominant than 2020's culture. I feel as if 2020's culture will probably be in full effect by late 2019, or the 2019-2020 school year. We are definitely not in the core 2000's anymore.

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/01/18 at 10:46 am

I feel as if 2018 will be the last full year when 2010's culture is more dominant than 2020's culture. I feel as if 2020's culture will probably be in full effect by late 2019, or the 2019-2020 school year. We are definitely not in the core 2010's anymore.

Yeah, this has been my sense as well. The changes have been quietly seeping in since November 2016, and those will only become more obvious this year.

Written By: John Titor on 01/01/18 at 10:48 am

FUTURE MUSIC TRENDS FOR 2018: LISTEN UP EVERYONE

96% Confirmed right now as the next trends

WrsFXgQk5UI

IewikAU6f4c

TBA (up in the air)

4QKreWPyPwc

ILnm4SGBU3g

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 01/01/18 at 10:51 am

I’m sorry to say this, Kingofthetemple, but 2018 will be the 2009 of the 2010s. The big transition happened last year.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/01/18 at 3:13 pm

More Rap acts,  Pop Punks comeback to the mainstream, more pop acts using r&b/rap influences and changing up their style.

TBA:  Boy bands return

Why Dont we, Pretty Much etc, BTS

I will quote you again with some youtube vids to back up my claims

I think boy bands are returning already and it would be cool if some of the Korean acts could get popular in the west too.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/02/18 at 12:25 am

The transition happened in late 2016 and has been building all of 2017, a few examples as I have stated before:

-MTV's TRL is back
- Family sitcoms are back,  Fuller House, Rosanne (Hallmark channel 2# network on cable)
- Dad sneaker trend
-  SJW backlash
- Trump as president
- Edm is waning badly

That transition is two years old now, it's time to move on to the next transition which will be in 2018.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/02/18 at 12:29 am

YES! It will.  :) 2018 will be a huge transitional year. Culture will completely change. Any connection we have to core 2010s culture now will disappear by end of this year. We will see some of the '20s will bring this year. The late part of this year will be different from the start and it will be different from 2016 and 2017, I predict. I have made a prediction back when the decade started that 2018 and 2019 will be major years of change, and I think 2018 will indeed bring a lot of change.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 01/02/18 at 10:19 am

2018 will still be a post-2016 year (late ‘10s year), but we’ll start to see the incoming early 2020s culture (Things introduced last year) become more popular by the end of this year. In other words, we’re getting a lot closer to the year 2020.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/02/18 at 12:47 pm

I think some people here are exaggerating the changes that could take place this year. For one, there are lots of current trends still going on such as Trap rap, EDM, Superhero films, offensive/SJW culture, etc. and they could stay that way for the rest of the year. I can see 2018 bringing in a little change, but it will not be the year where everything is going to transform across the broad spectrum. That's more for 2020.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/03/18 at 8:09 am

2018 will still be a post-2016 year (late ‘10s year), but we’ll start to see the incoming early 2020s culture (Things introduced last year) become more popular by the end of this year. In other words, we’re getting a lot closer to the year 2020.

I think 2020 will be the peak of the culture that started with the 2017 transition. That's how summer Olympics/presidential election years always are, just like how 2016 was the climactic point of the culture that started in 2013. That said, 2021 will be another transitional year to a culture which will peak in 2024.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/03/18 at 10:43 am

Yes, but none of us will like it.

https://www.pressenza.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/nuclearwar.jpg

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/05/18 at 9:06 am

-MTV's TRL is back
- Dad sneaker trend
-  SJW backlash
- Trump as president
- Edm is waning badly

Unfortunately I can't stand most of today's rap (trap crap), like Post Malone, Cardi B, etc. Maybe I'm getting old now and can't relate to the younger generation, so I prefer old school rap from the 90's and 00's.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/05/18 at 9:10 am

Does anyone else have a feeling that 2018 will be a "mehh" for music? I don't know, I just feel that way for some reason.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/18 at 9:12 am

Does anyone else have a feeling that 2018 will be a "mehh" for music? I don't know, I just feel that way for some reason.
I have the feeling it will be the same as the past few years, and only one of two new songs will stand out.

Written By: kr37 on 01/05/18 at 9:41 am

I think 2020 will be the peak of the culture that started with the 2017 transition. That's how summer Olympics/presidential election years always are, just like how 2016 was the climactic point of the culture that started in 2013. That said, 2021 will be another transitional year to a culture which will peak in 2024.

This has probably already been discussed on here, but why is it thought that the summer Olympics have such a large effect on how the year feels? Are winter Olympics the same way? Why or why not?
I'm excited for this year's Olympics!  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/18 at 10:00 am

This has probably already been discussed on here, but why is it thought that the summer Olympics have such a large effect on how the year feels? Are winter Olympics the same way? Why or why not?
I'm excited for this year's Olympics!  :)
So am I, Team GB is hoping to do well.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/05/18 at 12:07 pm

People seem to think olympic or presidential election years have to be transitional years as a rule. I disagree with that because culture can transition naturally on its own in any year and it does not have to be politically related or have an important event going on. 1998 is an example of this (no election that year). And 2012 and 2004 which were both election years were not transitional.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/06/18 at 9:03 am

That's how I felt about 2017. I only have about 25 songs on my playlist from that year, and out of those really only about 5-10 of them that I truly like.

People seem to think olympic or presidential election years have to be transitional years as a rule. I disagree with that because culture can transition naturally on its own in any year and it does not have to be politically related or have an important event going on. 1998 is an example of this (no election that year). And 2012 and 2004 which were both election years were not transitional.

I never thought the Summer Olympics/Presidential Election years are transitional. They are the peak years of the culture that have been around for the past 4 years, while their following years are more transitional. 2004 was the peak of the early to mid 00's culture that started post 9/11 2001. 2012 was the peak of the early 10's  culture that started in 2009. I thought 1997 was more transitional than 1998. A lot of the trends in '98 started in the fall of '97. Some could argue that 1999 was transitional, as it was close to Y2K. Every year is transitional in some form or another, just some are a lot more than others.

Written By: kr37 on 01/06/18 at 10:34 am

That's how I felt about 2017. I only have about 25 songs on my playlist from that year, and out of those really only about 5-10 of them that I truly like.

I never thought the Summer Olympics/Presidential Election years are transitional. They are the peak years of the culture that have been around for the past 4 years, while their following years are more transitional. 2004 was the peak of the early to mid 00's culture that started post 9/11 2001. 2012 was the peak of the early 10's  culture that started in 2009. I thought 1997 was more transitional than 1998. A lot of the trends in '98 started in the fall of '97. Some could argue that 1999 was transitional, as it was close to Y2K. Every year is transitional in some form or another, just some are a lot more than others.

It may not always be exactly the case that presidential election years line up with overall changes, but I can see how they would have some influence as almost every American knows who the president is and what their policies are. I'm just not sure if the summer Olympics have such an effect on so many people. Maybe it's just because here in my snowy home the winter Olympics are a bigger deal, although I think it's the other way around for most.  ;) :)

Written By: 80sfan on 01/06/18 at 10:44 am

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/06/18 at 12:04 pm

I wouldn't say it's a rule, but it has tended to happen that way with greater frequency. But I would say it's more a matter of the changing culture being determinative of how the presidential election will swing.

Written By: kingofthetemple on 01/07/18 at 9:55 pm

YES! It will.  :) 2018 will be a huge transitional year. Culture will completely change. Any connection we have to core 2010s culture now will disappear by end of this year. We will see some of the '20s will bring this year. The late part of this year will be different from the start and it will be different from 2016 and 2017, I predict. I have made a prediction back when the decade started that 2018 and 2019 will be major years of change, and I think 2018 will indeed bring a lot of change.
late 2018 will probably be like late 08 very transitional.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/07/18 at 10:16 pm

late 2018 will probably be like late 08 very transitional.

I think so too.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/07/18 at 11:36 pm

I hope my feelings are wrong. I have a feeling that 2018 is the last 'calm' year, then either starting in 2019, or 2020, all hell will break loose, especially politically!

I don't know. I could be WAAAY off.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/08/18 at 12:44 am

I hope my feelings are wrong. I have a feeling that 2018 is the last 'calm' year, then either starting in 2019, or 2020, all hell will break loose, especially politically!

I think this too. Or even worse, 2018 will be the year all hell breaks loose and everything starts to fall apart in the world.

Written By: kingofthetemple on 01/08/18 at 9:46 pm

Honestly it already sorta broke loose.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 01/09/18 at 12:36 am

^ ^
This

Written By: Slim95 on 01/09/18 at 12:46 am

It will only get worse and worse.

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/09/18 at 8:02 am

You want worse? Your wish is my command!

http://www.businessinsider.com/tillerson-mattis-trump-north-korea-strike-2018-1?r=US&IR=T

Sleep tight!

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 01/09/18 at 8:25 am

I predict that sometime later this year or next year, another "Justin Bieber" will arrive.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/09/18 at 8:59 am

Guaranteed the winner of The X Factor (in the UK) will have already disappeared and forgotten about.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 01/09/18 at 2:12 pm

Ffs, the title of this thread literally makes zero sense ???

Written By: Slim95 on 01/09/18 at 2:26 pm

Ffs, the title of this thread literally makes zero sense ???

Makes perfect sense to me.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/09/18 at 6:43 pm

I think this too. Or even worse, 2018 will be the year all hell breaks loose and everything starts to fall apart in the world.

I hope not!  :(  :(  :(

Written By: 80sfan on 01/09/18 at 6:44 pm

Remember, we're in peace times compared to 1932, 1944, or 1863, or whatever. I hope it stays that way.

Written By: 2001 on 01/09/18 at 6:51 pm

We can't say for certain. I think 2019 will be more changeful, just given what we know. But my prediction is as useless and uneducated as anyone else's.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 01/09/18 at 11:31 pm

Makes perfect sense to me.

No, the title is basically asking if 2018 will be transitional....becasue it is 2018

Written By: duenas8 on 01/16/18 at 12:27 am

-MTV's TRL is back
- Dad sneaker trend
-  SJW backlash
- Trump as president
- Edm is waning badly

Also Of Monster and Men, Mumford and Sons, old Ed Sheeran, Passenger and every song with the “Millennial Whoop” sound terribly repetitive and cringe now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/16/18 at 12:44 am

I predict that sometime later this year or next year, another "Justin Bieber" will arrive.
...or Justin Bieber will recreate himself?

Written By: 80sfan on 01/16/18 at 11:31 am

I like Camila Cabello.  8)

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/16/18 at 3:21 pm

I'm praying for a new GAGA.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/16/18 at 5:05 pm

I knew 2008 was transitional when Poker Face and I Kissed a Girl kept blaring over the airwaves. I knew 2013 was transitional once I heard Royals. I haven't heard that "transitional" song or songs yet.

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/16/18 at 7:07 pm

I'd say we're already living in the early 2020s right now. Usually trends that dominate early part of the next decade begin around this time. Things will ramp up in 2019, just like how 2009 and 1999 were way different from their respective decades.

Written By: kingofthetemple on 01/16/18 at 7:09 pm

This summer of 2018 will probably start actually seeing early 2020s culture for sure.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/16/18 at 7:13 pm

I'd say we're already living in the early 2020s right now. Usually trends that dominate early part of the next decade begin around this time. Things will ramp up in 2019, just like how 2009 and 1999 were way different from their respective decades.

Well, what new trends are you noticing? I think we are in the peak late 2010's right now. There's no way we are in early 2020's culture already when we aren't even numerically halfway through the late 2010's.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/16/18 at 7:49 pm

In my experience, those trends usually come alive around the summer or the second part of the year.

Written By: kingofthetemple on 01/16/18 at 8:01 pm

In my experience, those trends usually come alive around the summer or the second part of the year.
i think late 2018 will be the start of the early 2020s.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 01/16/18 at 8:04 pm

Things will ramp up in 2019, just like how 2009 and 1999 were way different from their respective decades.

How was 2009 different from the rest of the 2000s?

Written By: kingofthetemple on 01/16/18 at 8:10 pm

How was 2009 different from the rest of the 2000s?
come on dude you know 2009 felt and was yay different from 2000-2007.

Written By: kingofthetemple on 01/16/18 at 8:11 pm

your right this summer-fall of 2018 is when those new trends will just start pouring in and slowly getting noticed.

Written By: 2001 on 01/16/18 at 8:14 pm

What about Cardi B?

My prediction is that 2019 will be the big change year, not 2018. Maybe very late 2018. I mentioned my reasons in another thread, I'm too lazy to look for it. ;D

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 01/16/18 at 8:44 pm

come on dude you know 2009 felt and was yay different from 2000-2007.

There were still late ‘00s influences in 2009.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/16/18 at 10:06 pm

What about Cardi B?

My prediction is that 2019 will be the big change year, not 2018. Maybe very late 2018. I mentioned my reasons in another thread, I'm too lazy to look for it. ;D

Cardi B is as influential as the Chainsmokers as far as I'm concerned. Big and Bombastic, Nothing Scholastic.  8)

Written By: John Titor on 01/17/18 at 9:57 am

Some of the trends are already here

- SJW backlash
- Edms slow decline
- VR gaining steam
-  Family sitcom gaining steam (HAllmark #2 network on cable)
- death of the hipster
- death of Lumineers (hey hey) type music
-Rap overtaking pop on the charts
-The slow increase of Pop punks popularity  (google EMO NITE)
- Gaga (doing a Las Vegas residency ) Katy Perry (american idol) become Legacy acts
-Increase of Heroin as an epidemic
- Sling Tv, DirectvNow, Hulu Live over taking traditional Cable providers
- Blacklash over NFL protests
-The clunky dad shoe trend
-Death of Spike Tv
-The return of the badly produced TRL
- The backlash of Star Wars
-5G phones start
-Drones

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/17/18 at 10:34 am

- SJW backlash
- Edms slow decline
- VR gaining steam
- death of the hipster
- Gaga (doing a Las Vegas residency ) Katy Perry (american idol) become Legacy acts
-Death of Spike Tv
-5G phones start
-Drones

Rap is coming back? Is there something that I'm missing besides Kendrick singles?

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/17/18 at 2:13 pm

- SJW backlash
- Edms slow decline
- VR gaining steam
- death of the hipster
-Death of Spike Tv
-5G phones start
-Drones

1. "SJW" backlash has been a thing for a while. I'm not sure if it should be under new trends.
2. If the "hipster" is dead, what has replaced it?
3. I still say this pop-punk resurgence thing is wishful thinking.
4. I don't think there has been a backlash of Star Wars per se, just the newest movies.

Everything else I mostly agree on or don't know too much about.

Written By: John Titor on 01/17/18 at 2:23 pm

1. "SJW" backlash has been a thing for a while. I'm not sure if it should be under new trends.
4. I don't think there has been a backlash of Star Wars per se, just the newest movies.

It is not wishful thinking google emo nite lol

Nah people are done with Star wars over the last  jedi and the toys are not even selling
they are sitting on the shelf

Written By: Slim95 on 01/17/18 at 2:28 pm

A lot of people are confusing when the changes took place. Are there changes since 2015? Yeah definitely. Changes since 2016? No not yet. That's what we're waiting for - early 2020s culture. I bet we'll start to see it late 2018/early 2019. The late 2010s culture that has been very boring (imo) the last two years is what we're waiting for to leave. The core 2010s to an extent too. The mid 2010s are long gone and have been gone since 2016. I enjoyed the mid 2010s but they are gone now and have been gone for a long time.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/17/18 at 2:40 pm

It is not wishful thinking google emo nite lol

Nah people are done with Star wars over the last  jedi and the toys are not even selling
they are sitting on the shelf

Emo Nite? I googled it and it looks like a legacy act. It reminds me of when I was a kid in the 90s and I would see hair metal night signs on clubs and bars. I've just become more convinced that this "pop punk resurgence" is just nostalgia before it officially leave the scene completely.

As for Star Wars...it's still the biggest movie of 2017. I don't think we'll truly know if there's a backlash untill the next movies come out. And what is the "backlash" about exactly?

Written By: kingofthetemple on 01/17/18 at 2:43 pm

A lot of people are confusing when the changes took place. Are there changes since 2015? Yeah definitely. Changes since 2016? No not yet. That's what we're waiting for - early 2020s culture. I bet we'll start to see it late 2018/early 2019. The late 2010s culture that has been very boring (imo) the last two years is what we're waiting for to leave. The core 2010s to an extent too. The mid 2010s are long gone and have been gone since 2016. I enjoyed the mid 2010s but they are gone now and have been gone for a long time.
the mid 10s were super boring and the late 10s aren't awesome but are a little better than the mid 10s but really the early 10s destroys both the mid and late 10s which is weird because isn't the late part of most decades are suppose to be the funnest of the decades eras. :)

Written By: John Titor on 01/17/18 at 3:35 pm

SJW backlash
- Edms slow decline
- VR gaining steam
- death of the hipster
-Death of Spike Tv
-5G phones start
-Drones

all things from late 2017 early 2018  (maybe not drones or vr tho)

Written By: John Titor on 01/17/18 at 3:37 pm

Emo Nite? I googled it and it looks like a legacy act. It reminds me of when I was a kid in the 90s and I would see hair metal night signs on clubs and bars. I've just become more convinced that this "pop punk resurgence" is just nostalgia before it officially leave the scene completely.

As for Star Wars...it's still the biggest movie of 2017. I don't think we'll truly know if there's a backlash untill the next movies come out. And what is the "backlash" about exactly?

google star wars backlash

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/17/18 at 3:52 pm

google star wars backlash

So people don't like Star Wars because there were lots of women and non-whites? Sounds like the SJWs were right all along.

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/18 at 3:52 pm

Wait, when did hipster die? I only grew my beard this year. Well, I had one in 2015 as well when I had that unfortunate "lumbersexual" phase ;D

But seriously, it's not dead. I bought a lot of plaid shirts, other button-up shirts, some sweater shirts and sweater vests, and nice mustard and black leather shoes this year. I started slicking my hair back this year and got fades on the side. I'm going for the whole 'dapper' look. Hipster is just getting started for me now that I got cash ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 01/17/18 at 3:58 pm

the mid 10s were super boring and the late 10s aren't awesome but are a little better than the mid 10s but really the early 10s destroys both the mid and late 10s which is weird because isn't the late part of most decades are suppose to be the funnest of the decades eras. :)

For me the mid '10s destroy early '10s and late '10s. Early '10s were the worst part for me.  :P The mid 2010s were so awesome though one of my favourite eras I have experienced. The late '10s sucks it seems. Overall, the entire 2010s decade wasn't very good.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/17/18 at 3:59 pm

Wait, when did hipster die? I only grew my beard this year. Well, I had one in 2015 as well when I had that unfortunate "lumbersexual" phase ;D

I would say in 2018, hipster is what emo was in 2008.  It's not dead yet but it's noticeably past its peak.  I would say "peak hipster" occurred some time between 2014 and 2016 depending on your geography.  In my area, 2016 was definitely the biggest year for hipster culture.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/17/18 at 4:16 pm

SJW backlash
- Edms slow decline
- VR gaining steam
- death of the hipster
-Death of Spike Tv
-5G phones start
-Drones

all things from late 2017 early 2018  (maybe not drones or vr tho)

Someone bought me a drone. The propeller thingies cut my mom's favorite plants!  :-X  :-X  :-X

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/17/18 at 4:18 pm

But seriously, it's not dead. I bought a lot of plaid shirts, other button-up shirts, some sweater shirts and sweater vests, and nice mustard and black leather shoes this year. I started slicking my hair back this year and got fades on the side. I'm going for the whole 'dapper' look. Hipster is just getting started for me now that I got cash ;D

Nah. It's not dead. It's just changing.

I want to get rid of all my plaid. I love plaid but man, it's been overdone this decade. Or maybe not. I was watching a 70s show called Vegas the other day and I was amazed at how much plaid I saw. SOO MANY plaid suits.

I think the most "2010s hipster" thing about me is that I get undercut haircuts now. No one notices me creepy balding now.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/18 at 4:25 pm

I would say in 2018, hipster is what emo was in 2008.  It's not dead yet but it's noticeably past its peak.  I would say "peak hipster" occurred some time between 2014 and 2016 depending on your geography.  In my area, 2016 was definitely the biggest year for hipster culture.

The definition of hipster seems to change every year. In 2008-2012 it was that whole beard, with thick frame glasses and superhero t-shirt look. Then in 2013-2014 people had giant pompadours and started wearing plaid and having a million tattoos and piercings, then in 2015-2016 it was the whole lumbersexual look with the manbun. Now in 2017/2018 it seems to be undercuts with a giant sweater and combat shoes/Doc Martens.

I think 2015 was 'peak hipster', in that it was the weirdest year for fashion in the 2010s. I remember I went to downtown Toronto that year and actually sat down and observed what people were wearing, and I could instantly tell that everything looked so tacky. 2015 is going to age so bad, it's going to look like what 1978 disco does not too long from now ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 01/17/18 at 4:30 pm

The definition of hipster seems to change every year. In 2008-2012 it was that whole beard, with thick frame glasses and superhero t-shirt look. Then in 2013-2014 people had giant pompadours and started wearing plaid and having a million tattoos and piercings, then in 2015-2016 it was the whole lumbersexual look with the manbun. Now in 2017/2018 it seems to be undercuts with a giant sweater and combat shoes/Doc Martens.

I think 2015 was 'peak hipster', in that it was the weirdest year for fashion in the 2010s. I remember I went to downtown Toronto that year and actually sat down and observed what people were wearing, and I could instantly tell that everything looked so tacky. 2015 is going to age so bad, it's going to look like what 1978 disco does not too long from now ;D

:(  :(  :(

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/18 at 4:50 pm

Nah. It's not dead. It's just changing.

I want to get rid of all my plaid. I love plaid but man, it's been overdone this decade. Or maybe not. I was watching a 70s show called Vegas the other day and I was amazed at how much plaid I saw. SOO MANY plaid suits.

I think the most "2010s hipster" thing about me is that I get undercut haircuts now. No one notices me creepy balding now.  ;D

LOL. I'm the same! I bought like 6 plaid shirts in one shopping trip in 2015 because it was the 'in' thing. After that, I told myself I would not buy any more plaid, but every trip to the mall resulted in one or two new plaid shirts in my shopping bag. I couldn't resist.  :-[ Then a lot of people bought me plaid shirts as presents. I mean, how can you go wrong with a plaid shirt? Now my closet is basically a wall of plaid. ;D

I usually wear it in a '90s flannel style nowadays: unbutton it with a t-shirt underneath. Either that, or I wear a sweater shirt or vest on top. Wearing it by itself seems overdone, unless it's one of the more expensive-looking ones.

Undercuts are very in right now. It was considered a hipster haircut a few years ago, but now everyone has one. I also have fades on the side, I slick my hair back on the top and I grew a chinstrap beard. 2018 is the 'peak hipster' year for me at the moment. ;D

Written By: bchris02 on 01/17/18 at 5:31 pm

Undercuts are very in right now. It was considered a hipster haircut a few years ago, but now everyone has one. I also have fades on the side, I slick my hair back on the top and I grew a chinstrap beard. 2018 is the 'peak hipster' year for me at the moment. ;D

I really would like to have an undercut but unfortuantely I have to worry about it looking too "gay" because of where I live.  I almost got one before Christmas but I would have never heard the end of it from my family. FML.

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/18 at 5:37 pm

I really would like to have an undercut but unfortuantely I have to worry about it looking too "gay" because of where I live.  I almost got one before Christmas but I would have never heard the end of it from my family. FML.

What kind of haircuts are popular down there if not the undercut? :o

Written By: bchris02 on 01/17/18 at 6:10 pm

I would say this is probably the most popular look right now.

https://www.thetrendspotter.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/BEARD-BUZZ-CUT-2-1.jpg

This also is pretty common.

http://menshaircutstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/long-hairstyle-for-men-3.jpg

Written By: bchris02 on 01/17/18 at 6:12 pm

https://www.thetrendspotter.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/BEARD-BUZZ-CUT-2-1.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/18 at 6:21 pm

YIKES @ those first two. The third one is pretty popular here too, it looks luscious! If only my hair looked that good when greasy...

I think if that third style is popular, you can get away with an undercut?

Written By: bchris02 on 01/17/18 at 6:29 pm

I think if that third style is popular, you can get away with an undercut?

In general probably so but it would be a problem with my family.  Then again, to them you pretty much have to look like you've just walked off the set of Duck Dynasty to prove you are heterosexual.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/17/18 at 7:15 pm

In general probably so but it would be a problem with my family.  Then again, to them you pretty much have to look like you've just walked off the set of Duck Dynasty to prove you are heterosexual.

:o

Written By: John Titor on 01/17/18 at 7:49 pm

So people don't like Star Wars because there were lots of women and non-whites? Sounds like the SJWs were right all along.

People don't like the new star wars because they ruined Luke Skywalkers character. They killed off an IMPORTANT person
in the new trilogy's as well.

Also the film was written by 2 man hating feminists ( these writers were caught being sexist against men on twitter)
the tweets were deleted tho. This movie was trying to push an agenda, has nothing to do with being white or male or female.

Mark hamill himself says  the movie sucks.

https://i0.wp.com/captainwrongthink.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/C-dTHZdUMAAtIdC.jpg?resize=845%2C450&ssl=1

https://i1.wp.com/captainwrongthink.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/1QZAlAn4K0jT07wIcqvDWdg.png?w=574&ssl=1

Written By: Slim95 on 01/17/18 at 8:23 pm

Maybe the changes that are happening are slow and gradual and there won't be a big transition like we're used to. I know this decade was not huge on changes except for a few things like technology and politics. If I were to get transported back to the early 2010s I wouldn't feel that different at all. Still I think we will see a big change soon, but nobody knows for sure.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 01/17/18 at 8:31 pm

LOL. I'm the same! I bought like 6 plaid shirts in one shopping trip in 2015 because it was the 'in' thing. After that, I told myself I would not buy any more plaid, but every trip to the mall resulted in one or two new plaid shirts in my shopping bag. I couldn't resist.  :-I usually wear it in a '90s flannel style nowadays: unbutton it with a t-shirt underneath. Either that, or I wear a sweater shirt or vest on top. Wearing it by itself seems overdone, unless it's one of the more expensive-looking ones.

That's the way I wear it as well (I always wore it like that).

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/18 at 8:37 pm

Ouch. Your parents are religious, so I could understand.  :-\\ There are a lot of lowercase c conservative hairstyles that are popular nowadays, like the normal side-part. It's a lot more of a 'natural' look that I've been noticing more in 2017/2018.

http://hairstylebox.us/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/side-hairstyles-for-mans-modern-men-hairstyle-trends-2014.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/18 at 8:50 pm

Maybe the changes that are happening are slow and gradual and there won't be a big transition like we're used to. I know this decade was not huge on changes except for a few things like technology and politics. If I were to get transported back to the early 2010s I wouldn't feel that different at all. Still I think we will see a big change soon, but nobody knows for sure.

I think you'd notice a huge difference if you were sent back to 2010/2011. 2010 is starting to get old.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/17/18 at 9:00 pm

Ouch. Your parents are religious, so I could understand.  :-\\ There are a lot of lowercase c conservative hairstyles that are popular nowadays, like the normal side-part. It's a lot more of a 'natural' look that I've been noticing more in 2017/2018.

http://hairstylebox.us/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/side-hairstyles-for-mans-modern-men-hairstyle-trends-2014.jpg

That's actually how my hair currently is.  What I want is a variation of this with an undercut.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/17/18 at 9:03 pm

Something like this is what I am thinking.

https://fthmb.tqn.com/Ef9JWiQJT2y5wNkVMpGTxINiiY0=/768x0/filters:no_upscale()/man-with-undercut-569456aa3df78cafda87ef4e.jpg

Written By: Slim95 on 01/17/18 at 9:21 pm

I think you'd notice a huge difference if you were sent back to 2010/2011. 2010 is starting to get old.

I'd notice a couple minor differences. But a huge difference? Absolutely not. It isn't a different world to me yet and given how stagnant everything has been for so long I hope one day it will be lol. Now 2007 on the other hand, that's one year where I would for sure feel like I'm in a different world if I were to get transported back.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/17/18 at 9:31 pm

People don't like the new star wars because they ruined Luke Skywalkers character. They killed off an IMPORTANT person
in the new trilogy's as well.

Also the film was written by 2 man hating feminists ( these writers were caught being sexist against men on twitter)
the tweets were deleted tho. This movie was trying to push an agenda, has nothing to do with being white or male or female.

Mark hamill himself says  the movie sucks.

Star Wars was a very important and beloved part of my childhood, teenhood, and twentysomethinghood.  It died in 2017, sadly.  I say this as somebody who defended the prequels when everyone else hated them.  I can't defend the Last Jedi.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/17/18 at 10:58 pm

Star Wars was a very important and beloved part of my childhood, teenhood, and twentysomethinghood.  It died in 2017, sadly.  I say this as somebody who defended the prequels when everyone else hated them.  I can't defend the Last Jedi.

SKRRRRRRTT

Where you messed up is "I say this as somebody who defended the prequels".

The prequels are abominations. Abominations to both god and humanity.  >:(

Written By: Slim95 on 01/17/18 at 11:09 pm

SKRRRRRRTT

Where you messed up is "I say this as somebody who defended the prequels".

The prequels are abominations. Abominations to both god and humanity.  >:(

I agree the prequels were absolutely terrible and I wish they have never existed. The only movie worse than the prequels was The Last Jedi imo. I really enjoyed Force Awakens though. But the original trilogy will always be the best.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/17/18 at 11:40 pm

That year needs to die. Sorry, personal projection.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/17/18 at 11:42 pm

I agree the prequels were absolutely terrible and I wish they have never existed. The only movie worse than the prequels was The Last Jedi imo. I really enjoyed Force Awakens though. But the original trilogy will always be the best.

It's really hard to beat Star Wars (1977) and The Empire Strikes Back (1980). Return of the Jedi (1983) is questionable.  :-X  :-X  :-X

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/18/18 at 1:08 am

It's really hard to beat Star Wars (1977) and The Empire Strikes Back (1980). Return of the Jedi (1983) is questionable.  :-X  :-X  :-X
I am in the same camp as yourselves, it is only the original trilogy for me.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 01/18/18 at 1:38 am

I'm a die hard Star Wars fan and to be honest, I loved the prequels, originals, Rogue One, and The Last Jedi.  :-X

I like The Force Awakens, but it's by far my least favorite Star Wars movie.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/18/18 at 9:30 am

Naw, man. I can't even get through any of the prequels without wincing and sighing around 20 times. In fact. I can't get through the prequels at all. What's funny is that the thing so many hate about the Last Jedi is the Finn/Rose subplot and that's the most prequel-ish part of the movie.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/18/18 at 11:03 am

Naw, man. I can't even get through any of the prequels without wincing and sighing around 20 times. In fact. I can't get through the prequels at all. What's funny is that the thing so many hate about the Last Jedi is the Finn/Rose subplot and that's the most prequel-ish part of the movie.

Both the prequels and the Last Jedi sucked. For me, The Last Jedi was the worst Star Wars movie of all time.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/18/18 at 3:50 pm

Both the prequels and the Last Jedi sucked. For me, The Last Jedi was the worst Star Wars movie of all time.

How is TLJ worst than the prequels?

Written By: Slim95 on 01/18/18 at 4:40 pm

How is TLJ worst than the prequels?

That was my question too. I couldn't believe it when I was walking out of the theatres that there can be a SW movie that was worse than the prequels but it really was that bad. It was the first movie that was actually worse than the prequels, that's how terrible it was. It was the worst one ever. It was very disappointing and that movie killed Star Wars for me.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/18/18 at 9:00 pm

That was my question too. I couldn't believe it when I was walking out of the theatres that there can be a SW movie that was worse than the prequels but it really was that bad. It was the first movie that was actually worse than the prequels, that's how terrible it was. It was the worst one ever. It was very disappointing and that movie killed Star Wars for me.

I was wondering what specifically made it worse than the prequels, but whatevs. The show will continue to go on as long as it makes money.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/18/18 at 9:24 pm

I was wondering what specifically made it worse than the prequels, but whatevs. The show will continue to go on as long as it makes money.

So many things like poor writing, poor use of jump cuts, plot holes, etc.

Written By: John Titor on 01/19/18 at 9:43 am

Movie did so bad it was removed from the box office in china

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/18 at 9:52 am

Movie did so bad it was removed from the box office in china
One of the Star Wars films?

Written By: John Titor on 01/19/18 at 9:56 am

One of the Star Wars films?

The Last Jedi was pulled from the box office in china due to the numbers being so low

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/18 at 10:04 am

The Last Jedi was pulled from the box office in china due to the numbers being so low
China lost the plot on the film, with too many films preceding it? btw, I still have to see it.

Written By: SailorSteven2017 on 01/19/18 at 10:07 am

I'm not sure if we're still talking about the 2018 transition and excuse me if my comment is out of place... :-\\  I think this year will be very transitional; we might not get some of the "core" 2020s but instead some type of fun sub-era period (credit goes to whoever said this in some other post I saw!) like 1988 - 1992, 1998 - 2003, 2009 - 2013, etc. Also, I definitely think that 2018 has or is getting its own unique vibe now. The late-2017 feeling seems to be disappearing/gone. :)

SailorSteven2017

Written By: John Titor on 01/19/18 at 10:40 am

China lost the plot on the film, with too many films preceding it? btw, I still have to see it.

it was because of the bad reviews (Sjw pandering) the film got + china not exposed to Star Wars as much

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/18 at 10:41 am

it was because of the bad reviews (Sjw pandering) the film got + china not exposed to Star Wars as much
Hoping that the previous films had been shown there?

Written By: John Titor on 01/19/18 at 10:46 am

Hoping that the previous films had been shown there?

I think so yes, but mostly was pulled due to the negative SJW pandering,
a lot of stuff has come out recently exposing the writers of Lucas Film as being man hating
feminists, they have been deleting some of their tweets, pretty sure that has a lot to due with it as well.

It's ironic tho, if you go to TOy stores in the usa, Star wars toys are 1.99, they are not selling at all

Check for new replies or respond here...