inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Justin Timberlake Filthy (Sexy back 2.0)

Written By: John Titor on 01/05/18 at 12:12 am

gA-NDZb29I4

Greatest Music video all decade

Subject: Re: Justin Timberlake Filthy (Sexy back 2.0)

Written By: bchris02 on 01/05/18 at 12:26 am

I think this song could easily be a trendsetter and finally shake things up.  Things have been more or less stagnant or slowly evolving since 2013.  This is new, it's fresh, and it's from an artist that has the kind of impact to create such a shockwave.  It's also one of the first major releases I've heard that sounds worlds away from where we were in 2010.

I like it.

Written By: John Titor on 01/05/18 at 12:30 am

I think this song could easily be a trendsetter and finally shake things up.  Things have been more or less stagnant or slowly evolving since 2013.  This is new, it's fresh, and it's from an artist that has the kind of impact to create such a shockwave.  It's also one of the first major releases I've heard that sounds worlds away from where we were in 2010.

I like it.

this is the greatest music video I have ever seen this decade, sounds new, and fresh, I LOVE IT
Very Sexy back ish.

Written By: Milk on 01/05/18 at 4:28 am

This song is terrible imo

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/18 at 5:04 am

Good video, awful song.

Written By: #Infinity on 01/05/18 at 5:31 am

It seems to me like this will be extremely divisive. Me personally? I'm thankful for this song and I hope it does well. Some of the yelping party lyrics are a bit odd coming from somebody as prestigious as Justin Timberlake, but I really adore that bassline and sonic experimentation that still manages to really groove. This is by far the most original pop song to come out in several years, and I would highly approve of more music like this as opposed to all the talentless Soundcloud rappers somehow being taken seriously right now.

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/05/18 at 8:04 am

I like it.

I'm actually not sure that I'm hearing so many differences. The emphasis on electronics sounds '10s-y to me.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/05/18 at 8:11 am

I personally don’t like the song that much, but the music video was good.

Written By: ofkx on 01/05/18 at 8:39 am

The song’s too annoying. I’m not a big fan of the whole futuristic machine sound he decided to use. But at least it’s new.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/05/18 at 8:41 am

The song’s too annoying. I’m not a big fan of the whole futuristic machine sound he decided to use. But at least it’s new.

Pretty much how I feel exactly.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/05/18 at 8:54 am

This song might grow on me after awhile. Anyhow, I added to my Spotify playlist (first song of 2018). Maybe the robotic sound will be the new thing.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/05/18 at 8:55 am

Maybe the robotic sound will be the new thing.

I hope not.

Written By: John Titor on 01/05/18 at 10:31 am

It seems to me like this will be extremely divisive. Me personally? I'm thankful for this song and I hope it does well. Some of the yelping party lyrics are a bit odd coming from somebody as prestigious as Justin Timberlake, but I really adore that bassline and sonic experimentation that still manages to really groove. This is by far the most original pop song to come out in several years, and I would highly approve of more music like this as opposed to all the talentless Soundcloud rappers somehow being taken seriously right now.

Nothing sounds like it, I love it

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/05/18 at 11:26 am

Pretty much how I feel exactly.

I feel the same way as the both of you.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/05/18 at 11:39 am

I agree.  I'm kind of reminded of when "Just Dance" by Lady Gaga came out in 2008.  I'm not saying this song will be a trendsetter of that caliber.  However, nothing else at the time sounded anything like it.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/05/18 at 11:44 am

I agree.  I'm kind of reminded of when "Just Dance" by Lady Gaga came out in 2008.  I'm not saying this song will be a trendsetter of that caliber.  However, nothing else at the time sounded anything like it.

Well, Lady Gaga was a new artist in 2008 and that was big part of the phenomenon that was "Just Dance"...she was new and also very eccentric. "Filthy" is by Justin Timberlake who was been popular in the music industry for over 20 years (popular solo career for over 15 years now). Many people will be perplexed by the song because it's from him.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/05/18 at 11:47 am

I don't like the new JT song much but it's very futuristic and innovative at least. It's new and different, new and different is very welcoming.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/05/18 at 11:53 am

This song might grow on me after awhile. Anyhow, I added to my Spotify playlist (first song of 2018). Maybe the robotic sound will be the new thing.

Maybe. That would be neat. By the '30s robot pop stars may replace humans.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/05/18 at 11:54 am

It's unique. I can see the appeal.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/05/18 at 1:15 pm

I like it. I can see why some people would hate it though. It's a bit 'different' and out there.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/05/18 at 1:53 pm

Yeah this single is one of many reasons why I'm massively hyped as hell for this new album :D :D :D!

Although I am confused of the overall theme of the album. Apparently its supposed to be an inspiration of JT's humble beginnings from the South, but this single has a neo-futurism sound to it. Regardless I like the direction of JT's new sound, and I agree with others that I wish this would be a huge trendsetter for the new year!

Written By: Emman on 01/05/18 at 3:01 pm

It has a dubstep/funk hybrid vibe, the reactions to the song has been polarized. He could have done some terrible trap influenced song or that annoying pitch shifted vocal chorus EDM thing. The does sounds different and risky and I can respect him for that, this is one of those songs were I don't know what to think about it until after a few listens. :-\\

Written By: Slim95 on 01/05/18 at 5:09 pm

After a few listens, I do like it now and really respect the creativity. I agree this is like the Sexy Back of 2018. Back in 2006, Sexy Back sounded radical and futuristic too (many didn't like it at first too). I think this will chart pretty high. I like when artists make a brand new sound for the future. The video was awesome too, and it was funny how JT was imitating Steve Jobs in the video, Justin Timberlake is quite the innovator when it comes to music. This kind of reminds me of 2013 when he came out with suit and tie and music started changing early that year, I feel 2018 is the same and it will be overall transitional.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/05/18 at 8:40 pm

I'm trying to let the song grow on me, but it won't. I'm listening to it more and more but it just still sounds so awful IMO. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 01/05/18 at 9:10 pm

This song is very groovy and funky, starting to give me D'Angelo vibes, honestly. Is that just me?

I'm trying to let the song grow on me, but it won't. I'm listening to it more and more but it just still sounds so awful IMO. Does anyone else feel the same way?

It doesn't sound awful to me, but I wouldn't necessarily say I like it either, it's just different. It seems like a mood song, like a song you're just supposed to vibe to.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/05/18 at 9:55 pm

I really like it.  :)

Written By: Fearsword on 01/05/18 at 11:32 pm

TBH I always thought Vaporwave or Future Funk would be the next big thing after trap

Written By: Fearsword on 01/05/18 at 11:37 pm

TBH I always thought Vaporwave or Future Funk would be the next big thing after trap

Though this song does kind of have a future funk vibe to it. It would fit right in with any youtube future funk/vaporwave mix if it was just a tad more uptembo.
tbWS0j2fulY

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/05/18 at 11:38 pm

Who knows, it might become a big thing in the next few years.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/05/18 at 11:52 pm

I hope electro swing or electro jazz becomes the next big thing.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 01/06/18 at 12:04 am

I hope electro swing or electro jazz becomes the next big thing.

As much as I'd love for that to happen being a fan of electro swing myself, I just don't see us going there anytime soon. I agree it'd be cool though. :)

Written By: 80sfan on 01/06/18 at 2:04 am

His song is doing great on itunes.  :o  :o  :o

Written By: pink.panda_v3 on 01/06/18 at 8:34 am

I really like it! It's something different. I hope it charts well. 8)

Written By: ofkx on 01/06/18 at 2:33 pm

The song's stuck in my head now :) sigh

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/06/18 at 2:35 pm

Still a sh!tty song to me IMO

Written By: Dundee on 03/12/18 at 4:57 am

https://media.giphy.com/media/KFK1o2mENzukU/giphy.gif

Written By: ofkx on 03/12/18 at 5:44 am

Lmao you gotta appreciate the optimisim though. We really thought this was the new sound lol.

Written By: Dundee on 03/12/18 at 5:49 am

It also appreciated the initiative to come up with something "fresh" (a slight bit of funk mixed in with dubtep's wub wubs), but yeah the public doesn't seem wanting to go for a new sound yet. The trap era is still in its heyday.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/12/18 at 12:20 pm

The rest of his album sounds different, like "Man of the Woods".

Written By: HeyJealousy on 03/12/18 at 1:02 pm

I’d tap that. She can “flop” me any day

:D

Written By: Slim95 on 03/13/18 at 10:01 pm

Too bad it didn't get big, I like that song.

Check for new replies or respond here...