inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Artist of the 2020s

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/05/18 at 9:20 pm

I understand it's still too early to know who will be the defining artists of the next decade, but so far we have some out there who either could or will be substantial candidates.

I can see Khalid, Alessia Cara, Logic, Camila Cabello, Halsey, SZA, and one of the former One Direction members as some to be defining music in the next era. They all seem to have the potential to ride the current wave of the mainstream right now and continue to dominate into the future. What do you all think and are there any others who could also be significant in the future as well?

Subject: Re: Artist of the 2020s

Written By: HeyJealousy on 01/06/18 at 12:59 am

I don't know. Maybe J Balvin, if Latin Pop goes anywhere.
But I don't think Ed Sheeran and Camilla Cabello will last past 2025. You never know though.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/06/18 at 2:06 am

Camila Cabello is awesome! Sure, she's kind of cocky, but I love that in a girl. Even though I don't date females.  8)

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/06/18 at 7:01 am

I think Cardi B will be one of the "it" artists of the decade. As for bands, I'm thinking Neck Deep, maybe Real Estate, maybe Royal Blood, and WSTR.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/06/18 at 7:23 am

I feel that in the next few years, a popstar from the 70s or 80s will produce a top selling album and will enjoy the benefits of it. The first name that comes to mind is Stevie Wonder.

Written By: pink.panda_v3 on 01/06/18 at 8:48 am

I'm hoping artists like Camila Cabello,  Cardi B and Halsey are influential next decade along with other brand new artists that will be huge in the 2020s.

Written By: temaichi on 01/06/18 at 9:09 am

I feel that in the next few years, a popstar from the 70s or 80s will produce a top selling album and will enjoy the benefits of it. The first name that comes to mind is Stevie Wonder.

I`m sorry but it won`t happen. Kids are a huge deal to success these days. They won`t buy an album from a legend like Stevie Wonder. It won`t even make it as a top selling album at this point. There`s alot of artists out there that are talented then what`s in the mainstream but they never make it. Its the sad truth... :-[

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/06/18 at 9:47 am

I`m sorry but it won`t happen. Kids are a huge deal to success these days. They won`t buy an album from a legend like Stevie Wonder. It won`t even make it as a top selling album at this point. There`s alot of artists out there that are talented then what`s in the mainstream but they never make it. Its the sad truth... :-[
Who is talking about kids, adults download/buys albums too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/06/18 at 9:53 am

I think Cardi B will be one of the "it" artists of the decade. As for bands, I'm thinking Neck Deep, maybe Real Estate, maybe Royal Blood, and WSTR.
I can see the headlines in the newspapers now, for when Cardi and her ensemble are taken in by the police... "CARDI ACT ARREST".  ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/06/18 at 10:54 am

I can see the headlines in the newspapers now, for when Cardi and her ensemble are taken in by the police... "CARDI ACT ARREST".  ;D
I know it's not funny to laugh at cardiac arrest, but this joke was gold! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/06/18 at 10:56 am

I know it's not funny to laugh at cardiac arrest, but this joke was gold! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Thank you.

This is meant in general, and not to any specific case.

Written By: Milk on 01/06/18 at 1:53 pm

Probably someone who hasn't debuted yet

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/06/18 at 2:19 pm

Actually, it COULD happen, it just won't mean anything. A Stevie Wonder or a Rolling Stones or a Springsteen could have a big hit album, but it's meaningless in this day and age. Charts and figures and sales mean nothing. A few years back an album of recently discovered Jimi Hendrix songs was released and went into the top 5. Comedian Bill Maher made a funny joke about it. " Imagine Jimi Hendrix having a big hit album 45 years after he died. I guess drugs really DO enhance creativity. Actually, it's because Baby Boomers haven't learned to steal music off the internet yet."  ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 01/06/18 at 4:19 pm

No one who is popular today will be big in the 2020s. Unless we get some new artists popping up this year, I think new artists (ones we don't know about yet) who become big this year will be popular in the '20s. The exceptions are huge artists like Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift, and other classic artists from the 2000s, they will probably still remain popular in the 2020s. But these new artists right now who have a couple popular songs like Khalid, Lil Pump and Camila Cabello will be gone before 2020 I think.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 01/06/18 at 5:07 pm

No one who is popular today will be big in the 2020s. Unless we get some new artists popping up this year, I think new artists (ones we don't know about yet) who become big this year will be popular in the '20s. The exceptions are huge artists like Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift, and other classic artists from the 2000s, they will probably still remain popular in the 2020s. But these new artists right now who have a couple popular songs like Khalid, Lil Pump and Camila Cabello will be gone before 2020 I think.

You mean like Sophie B Hawkins. Had two HUGE hits in the mid-90s, then faded into obscurity and you don't hear about her anymore.
Or Savage Garden in the late 90s, a few chart-topping hits around 1998 or 1999, and then nothing.
Yeah, that's precisely my prediction. Nothing lasts forever. And I think that, by 2022, Ed Sheeran will be as relevant as a John Mayer. Still flooding concert halls and stadiums, but the novelty is wearing off and as far as Billboard charts go, he's ancient history.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/06/18 at 5:26 pm

So everyone here assumes that Justin Bieber will fade away?

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 01/06/18 at 5:32 pm

You mean like Sophie B Hawkins. Had two HUGE hits in the mid-90s, then faded into obscurity and you don't hear about her anymore.
Or Savage Garden in the late 90s, a few chart-topping hits around 1998 or 1999, and then nothing.
Yeah, that's precisely my prediction. Nothing lasts forever. And I think that, by 2022, Ed Sheeran will be as relevant as a John Mayer. Still flooding concert halls and stadiums, but the novelty is wearing off and as far as Billboard charts go, he's ancient history.

Which two hits were those?

I only know one single from her and it was released in the early ‘90s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/06/18 at 5:34 pm

Which two hits were those?
She definitely had one with "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover".

Written By: nally on 01/06/18 at 5:39 pm

She definitely had one with "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover".

Her other big hit was "As I Lay Me Down" (1995), which had the background vocals that sounded like "Who loves tacos!"

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/06/18 at 5:40 pm

Her other big hit was "As I Lay Me Down" (1995), which had the background vocals that sounded like "Who loves tacos!"
Now that must be heard...

Written By: nally on 01/06/18 at 5:40 pm

Now that must be heard...

I might have posted it in the "1995 Year in music" thread (if not, someone else did).

Edit: Yep, someone did, here - http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=49237.msg3098076#msg3098076

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/06/18 at 5:56 pm

Yeah, because he will end up being one of the defining artists of the 10s in the near future.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 01/06/18 at 6:47 pm

Or worse.

Written By: temaichi on 01/07/18 at 5:31 am

Who is talking about kids, adults download/buys albums too.

Yeah i know. But most artists have a strong fanbase because of kids. He would`ve had a top selling album for almost 3 decades ago but not now. It`s a different era, mate.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/07/18 at 5:57 pm

I don't know. Maybe J Balvin, if Latin Pop goes anywhere.
But I don't think Ed Sheeran and Camilla Cabello will last past 2025. You never know though.
That's a good one so far. I do hope that Latin pop explodes back in the mainstream though. That genre has been missing for a long time. I don't think Ed Sheeran will last past 2020 though. He's already one of the established artists of this decade, and the radio has overplayed a few of his songs as well.

Those are good choices. I'll check out those bands when I can.

I'm hoping artists like Camila Cabello,  Cardi B and Halsey are influential next decade along with other brand new artists that will be huge in the 2020s.
I don't see cardi B being a potential candidate for the next era. I can see her making it to 2020, but after that no. Besides, she explained that she wanted to make trap music rather than conscious rap in an article I read. The problem is that she started too late in the game and that sub-genre could decline anytime now since Trap became relevant in the last 6/7 years.

No one who is popular today will be big in the 2020s. Unless we get some new artists popping up this year, I think new artists (ones we don't know about yet) who become big this year will be popular in the '20s. The exceptions are huge artists like Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift, and other classic artists from the 2000s, they will probably remain popular in the 2020s. But these new artists right now who have a couple of popular songs like Khalid, Lil Pump, and Camila Cabello will be gone before 2020 I think.
I agree with Lil' Pump, but Ed and T-Swift? They're already two of the defining artists, and Taylor is in her declining stage. It turns out her new album didn't do so well as her fans thought. As for classic artists from the 2000s, there's no way in hell they will still be relevant. Most of them were already out of the mainstream after 2010 ended.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/07/18 at 6:05 pm

I agree with Lil' Pump, but Ed and T-Swift? They're already two of the defining artists, and Taylor is in her declining stage. It turns out her new album didn't do so well as her fans thought. As for classic artists from the 2000s, there's no way in hell they will still be relevant. Most of them were already out of the mainstream after 2010 ended.

How wouldn't they be relevant?  ??? The huge popularity they have now doesn't go away fast just because a new decade comes. People will still remember them even 10 years from now. They may not be defining stars of the 2020s as they are this decade, but they will still be popular and relevant because they are huge artists and everyone knows who they are. Just like how Britney Spears was a huge defining star in the 2000s (not saying they are as big as her but still) but she comes back now in the 2010s sometimes and releases popular songs on the radio. There's no way Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift will fade away into obscurity next decade, even if they may not be as big as their peak like they were before. Just like many big 2000s artists who aren't as big now are still popular and not out of the spotlight.

Written By: temaichi on 01/07/18 at 6:24 pm

Justin Bieber ain`t going anywhere. He is the best male artist of this decade with an incredible following.
The only way he could end his career is by starting a family which he made it clear many times that he wanted to find a wife and start a family. He also wants to focus on religion more but that`s the only way he`d kill his career.

He will kinda be similar to how Timberlake was in the 2000s but he still managed to drop hits and stay relevant in the 2010s. Even now! He is coming up with a brand new album in the 2nd of February this year & i believe that Bieber will too either this year or 2019.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/07/18 at 6:30 pm

How wouldn't they be relevant?  ??? The huge popularity they have now doesn't go away fast just because a new decade comes. People will still remember them even ten years from now. They may not be defining stars of the 2020s as they are this decade, but both will still be popular and relevant because both are huge artists and everyone knows who they are. Just like how Britney Spears was a huge defining star in the 2000s (not saying they are as big as her but still) but she comes back now in the 2010s sometimes and releases popular songs on the radio. There's no way Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift will fade away into obscurity next decade, even if they may not be as big as their peak like they were before. Just like many big 2000s artists who aren't as big now, are still popular and not out of the spotlight.
You must be confusing the defining artists of an era with the greatest artists of all time bracket. I agree there are classic 00s artists out there today and still making songs, but that does not mean they are defining the decade.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/07/18 at 9:42 pm

You must be confusing the defining artists of an era with the greatest artists of all time bracket. I agree there are classic 00s artists out there today and still making songs, but that does not mean they are defining the decade.

Well I don't know I can't predict the future. I don't believe they will be defining but I do think they will still be around.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/08/18 at 12:28 pm

So, there a few more artists that I see being a good contender for the 2020s. What do you all think about Dua Lipa, Charlie Puth, and Kelela? Do you think they have what it takes to dominate into the next decade?

Well, I don't know I can't predict the future. I don't believe they will define the era, but I do think they will still be around.
Yeah, they will. They could move on to the adult contemporary stations although Ed is somewhat on there already.

Written By: ofkx on 01/08/18 at 12:44 pm

So, there a few more artists that I see being a good contender for the 2020s. What do you all think about Dua Lipa, Charlie Puth, and Kelela? Do you think they have what it takes to dominate into the next decade?
Yeah, they will. They could move on to the adult contemporary stations although Ed is somewhat on there already.

Perhaps Dua Lipa, but she seems to mostly be a one hit wonder. Most people don’t know any of her songs other than “New Rules”. I don’t believe that Ed Sheeran will be relevant in the 2020s tbh. He more of a late 10s artist. Same for Charlie Puth.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/08/18 at 1:12 pm

Perhaps Dua Lipa, but she seems to be a one-hit wonder mostly. Most people don’t know any of her songs other than “New Rules.” I don’t believe that Ed Sheeran will be relevant in the 2020s tbh. He is more of a late 10s artist. Same for Charlie Puth.
I agree with Ed. In the end, he will be considered a 10s artist. I mean, his songs go back to 2014 with Don't, Thinking Out Loud, and All of The Stars. I just don't see him going beyond the 2010s.

As for Charlie Puth, that could change if he makes songs based on current time and not the past.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/08/18 at 4:35 pm

Charlie Puth has been around for a while now. He was a mid 2010s artist. I first heard of him in 2015 with the number 2 song of 2015 "See You Again". Then he did a bunch of songs in 2016 and featured one with Meghan Trainor. I feel like he may peak this year, he doesn't have much staying power.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/09/18 at 3:04 pm

Charlie Puth has been around for a while now. He was a mid-2010s artist. I first heard of him in 2015 with the number 2 song of 2015 "See You Again." Then he did a bunch of songs in 2016 and featured one with Meghan Trainor. I feel like he may peak this year, he doesn't have much-staying power.
I heard that song too, but he could pull off more hits and dominate into the next decade. So far, the song Attention is doing well.

Written By: Bab2781 on 01/11/18 at 6:40 pm

It will probably be some new pop star that bursts on to the scene. I highly doubt it the singers we have now probably won't even be around in another 5-7 yrs.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/11/18 at 11:22 pm

Why is she so big now? Her music totally sucks  8-P

Written By: 80sfan on 01/12/18 at 12:21 am

I would have loved to have been old enough to remember Mariah Carey's debut in 1990.  :)

Written By: christopher on 01/12/18 at 7:48 am

OP, I don't even know who the ones you listed are. :D Online I mostly see news stories still for Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Eminem, Justin Timberlake etc. Those listed might come and go like .fun, Janelle Monnae, Gotye etc. - loved them but where are they now? Heck, even Lorde seems like old news, couldn't surpass "Royals" for a very long time now. Lady GaGa could surprisingly  reinvent herself or become irrelevant.

I'd vote for Eminem, Pink, Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Miley, Justin Timberlake, Pitbull like the most likely survivors.
I think Eminem and Pink are two of those artists that able to find relevance in each decade.

Written By: ofkx on 01/12/18 at 12:56 pm

OP, I don't even know who the ones you listed are. :D Online I mostly see news stories still for Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Eminem, Justin Timberlake etc. Those listed might come and go like .fun, Janelle Monnae, Gotye etc. - loved them but where are they now? Heck, even Lorde seems like old news, couldn't surpass "Royals" for a very long time now. Lady GaGa could surprisingly  reinvent herself or become irrelevant.

I'd vote for Eminem, Pink, Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Miley, Justin Timberlake, Pitbull like the most likely survivors.
I think Eminem and Pink are two of those artists that able to find relevance in each decade.

Miley and JT are not nearly as popular as they were a few years ago.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/12/18 at 1:35 pm

JT will stay around. No way someone with his level of fame will vanish next decade. Miley Cyrus probably not. I can see her going away. Taylor Swift will for sure be around next decade too because she is too huge to be forgotten about. I think she will be part of the next tier of celebrities who come back every few years and put out music. I think Lady Gaga will make a comeback next decade too, but whether that will be successful or not is a different story.

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/12/18 at 2:21 pm

I mean fun. broke up, so...

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/08/18 at 11:05 pm

Alright, it's been two months since this thread had a conversation. Who are some artists right now that were not originally listed you all think could define the next decade?

Written By: Dundee on 03/09/18 at 2:51 am

JT will stay around. No way someone with his level of fame will vanish next decade. Miley Cyrus probably not. I can see her going away. Taylor Swift will for sure be around next decade too because she is too huge to be forgotten about. I think she will be part of the next tier of celebrities who come back every few years and put out music. I think Lady Gaga will make a comeback next decade too, but whether that will be successful or not is a different story.

Lol that means absolutely nothing. Britney Spears was absolutely inescapable in the 2000s and she struggled to find a hit since 2011, her last album for instance bombed completely despite working hard on promotion.
JT is flopping right now pretty badly too and is certainly recieving that "uncool, old-fashioned" status among the youth, especially after that song for a children movie that was a huge hit 2 summers ago.

Highly doubt he will find a hit in the 2020s. Madonna and Michael so far are the only artists I know of that found succes in more than two decades.

Written By: xenzue on 03/09/18 at 3:33 am

^^ Janet Jackson has had incredible success in a span of 3 decades, and Beyoncé is nearing that.

As for the question of which artists will remain big in the ‘20s depends entirely on how dramatic the overall pop culture change is. If the shift isn’t significant, it can be safe to assume that artists like Dua Lipa, Shawn Mendes, Lil Pump, Cardi B, Camilla Cabello, etc. will remain relevant until around ‘23 which may be a major transition year. If the change is drastic (I’m guessing it will be), they’ll either have to adapt tremendously (vast majority will be unable to) or will be knocked out by ‘21.

There are several artists that may see success in the ‘20s as legacy artists:

- Beyoncé
- Nicki Minaj
- Kendrick Lamar
- J Cole
- Jay Z
- The Arctic Monkeys
- Kanye West
- Taylor Swift (even if she flops she’s still big)

Other artists simply aren’t innovative enough (or simply just tired lol) and may fall off by the early ‘20s. There’s a long ass list I could make, but I won’t because ppl will think I’m dragging their favs. Honestly, I think Ed Sheeran and Justin Timberlake might be one of them.

My guess is that the ‘20s will be dominated by a bunch of new faces, being less of a progression of pop culture in the ‘10s and more of like a reaction against it. I have no reason to believe it WILL happen but it’s a gut feeling. The bulk of these new artists/groups are just now starting their musical careers and are currently in the underground, they’ll probably blow up in the early ‘20s and dominate the decade.

Written By: Dundee on 03/09/18 at 4:46 am

Oh yeah, Janet had a good run too. Sad though the boob job ruined it all...

I can see Camilla Cabello becoming one of the biggest artists of the 2020s, her mix of Latin sounds and Contemporary R&B is extremely appealing to a large portion of the public and the recent latin resurgence might be indicative that is only the beginning.

Rihanna might be another one that would rule the charts for quite some time. She/her team is incredibly great at catching up on trends and is adaptive enough to stay relevant and on-top, you can basically pick any Rihanna album and listen to what was or getting popular at the time of its release.

Drake is on the steady rise, so he might become the biggest artist for at least the early portion of the decade.

The streaming era also make the charts much more unpredictable and less corporate-controlled than ever before. The impact of sales and radio are on steady decline too, so the 2020s might be full on surprise hits and it's really hard to guess what they will look like.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/09/18 at 5:32 am

I think it is a toss up between Pitbull and Ke$ha.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/09/18 at 8:49 am

I think it is a toss up between Pitbull and Ke$ha.

They're still popular?

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/09/18 at 11:09 am

They're still popular?

Of course. Ke$ha was the belle of the ball at the Grammy Awards.  8)

Written By: Slim95 on 03/09/18 at 12:34 pm

Lol that means absolutely nothing. Britney Spears was absolutely inescapable in the 2000s and she struggled to find a hit since 2011, her last album for instance bombed completely despite working hard on promotion.
JT is flopping right now pretty badly too and is certainly recieving that "uncool, old-fashioned" status among the youth, especially after that song for a children movie that was a huge hit 2 summers ago.

Highly doubt he will find a hit in the 2020s. Madonna and Michael so far are the only artists I know of that found succes in more than two decades.

Britney Spears is still famous... What are you talking about? That was the worst example to use ever because everyone knows who Britney Spears is she did not vanish. Just as Madonna didn't either. Just as Britney Spears is famous now, Justin Timberlake will be as well.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/09/18 at 12:36 pm

What on earth are you talking about? Both Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake had even Beyonce had hits and found success in THREE decades...

Written By: TheDude1999 on 03/09/18 at 2:09 pm

There’s way more people than that that found success in more than two decades. U2? Bruce Springsteen? Rolling Stones? Janet Jackson?

(And I don’t really think Michael Jackson counts, but I suppose one could argue he does).

Written By: TheDude1999 on 03/09/18 at 2:12 pm

Taylor Swift might have the potential to stick around for a long time if she stops trying to follow trends/fads (Reputation).

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/09/18 at 5:38 pm

Taylor Swift might have the potential to stick around for a long time if she stops trying to follow trends/fads (Reputation).

She's already on the decline. I'm expecting for her to follow the normal script, and eventually go full nude to juice her career.

Written By: ofkx on 03/10/18 at 10:52 am

She's already on the decline. I'm expecting for her to follow the normal script, and eventually go full nude to juice her career.

lmao ;D ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...