inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Artist of the 2020s

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/05/18 at 9:20 pm

I understand it's still too early to know who will be the defining artists of the next decade, but so far we have some out there who either could or will be substantial candidates.

I can see Khalid, Alessia Cara, Logic, Camila Cabello, Halsey, SZA, and one of the former One Direction members as some to be defining music in the next era. They all seem to have the potential to ride the current wave of the mainstream right now and continue to dominate into the future. What do you all think and are there any others who could also be significant in the future as well?

Subject: Re: Artist of the 2020s

Written By: HeyJealousy on 01/06/18 at 12:59 am

I don't know. Maybe J Balvin, if Latin Pop goes anywhere.
But I don't think Ed Sheeran and Camilla Cabello will last past 2025. You never know though.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/06/18 at 2:06 am

Camila Cabello is awesome! Sure, she's kind of cocky, but I love that in a girl. Even though I don't date females.  8)

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/06/18 at 7:01 am

I think Cardi B will be one of the "it" artists of the decade. As for bands, I'm thinking Neck Deep, maybe Real Estate, maybe Royal Blood, and WSTR.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/06/18 at 7:23 am

I feel that in the next few years, a popstar from the 70s or 80s will produce a top selling album and will enjoy the benefits of it. The first name that comes to mind is Stevie Wonder.

Written By: pink.panda_v3 on 01/06/18 at 8:48 am

I'm hoping artists like Camila Cabello,  Cardi B and Halsey are influential next decade along with other brand new artists that will be huge in the 2020s.

Written By: temaichi on 01/06/18 at 9:09 am

I feel that in the next few years, a popstar from the 70s or 80s will produce a top selling album and will enjoy the benefits of it. The first name that comes to mind is Stevie Wonder.

I`m sorry but it won`t happen. Kids are a huge deal to success these days. They won`t buy an album from a legend like Stevie Wonder. It won`t even make it as a top selling album at this point. There`s alot of artists out there that are talented then what`s in the mainstream but they never make it. Its the sad truth... :-[

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/06/18 at 9:47 am

I`m sorry but it won`t happen. Kids are a huge deal to success these days. They won`t buy an album from a legend like Stevie Wonder. It won`t even make it as a top selling album at this point. There`s alot of artists out there that are talented then what`s in the mainstream but they never make it. Its the sad truth... :-[
Who is talking about kids, adults download/buys albums too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/06/18 at 9:53 am

I think Cardi B will be one of the "it" artists of the decade. As for bands, I'm thinking Neck Deep, maybe Real Estate, maybe Royal Blood, and WSTR.
I can see the headlines in the newspapers now, for when Cardi and her ensemble are taken in by the police... "CARDI ACT ARREST".  ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/06/18 at 10:54 am

I can see the headlines in the newspapers now, for when Cardi and her ensemble are taken in by the police... "CARDI ACT ARREST".  ;D
I know it's not funny to laugh at cardiac arrest, but this joke was gold! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/06/18 at 10:56 am

I know it's not funny to laugh at cardiac arrest, but this joke was gold! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Thank you.

This is meant in general, and not to any specific case.

Written By: Milk on 01/06/18 at 1:53 pm

Probably someone who hasn't debuted yet

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/06/18 at 2:19 pm

Actually, it COULD happen, it just won't mean anything. A Stevie Wonder or a Rolling Stones or a Springsteen could have a big hit album, but it's meaningless in this day and age. Charts and figures and sales mean nothing. A few years back an album of recently discovered Jimi Hendrix songs was released and went into the top 5. Comedian Bill Maher made a funny joke about it. " Imagine Jimi Hendrix having a big hit album 45 years after he died. I guess drugs really DO enhance creativity. Actually, it's because Baby Boomers haven't learned to steal music off the internet yet."  ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 01/06/18 at 4:19 pm

No one who is popular today will be big in the 2020s. Unless we get some new artists popping up this year, I think new artists (ones we don't know about yet) who become big this year will be popular in the '20s. The exceptions are huge artists like Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift, and other classic artists from the 2000s, they will probably still remain popular in the 2020s. But these new artists right now who have a couple popular songs like Khalid, Lil Pump and Camila Cabello will be gone before 2020 I think.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 01/06/18 at 5:07 pm

No one who is popular today will be big in the 2020s. Unless we get some new artists popping up this year, I think new artists (ones we don't know about yet) who become big this year will be popular in the '20s. The exceptions are huge artists like Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift, and other classic artists from the 2000s, they will probably still remain popular in the 2020s. But these new artists right now who have a couple popular songs like Khalid, Lil Pump and Camila Cabello will be gone before 2020 I think.

You mean like Sophie B Hawkins. Had two HUGE hits in the mid-90s, then faded into obscurity and you don't hear about her anymore.
Or Savage Garden in the late 90s, a few chart-topping hits around 1998 or 1999, and then nothing.
Yeah, that's precisely my prediction. Nothing lasts forever. And I think that, by 2022, Ed Sheeran will be as relevant as a John Mayer. Still flooding concert halls and stadiums, but the novelty is wearing off and as far as Billboard charts go, he's ancient history.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/06/18 at 5:26 pm

So everyone here assumes that Justin Bieber will fade away?

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 01/06/18 at 5:32 pm

You mean like Sophie B Hawkins. Had two HUGE hits in the mid-90s, then faded into obscurity and you don't hear about her anymore.
Or Savage Garden in the late 90s, a few chart-topping hits around 1998 or 1999, and then nothing.
Yeah, that's precisely my prediction. Nothing lasts forever. And I think that, by 2022, Ed Sheeran will be as relevant as a John Mayer. Still flooding concert halls and stadiums, but the novelty is wearing off and as far as Billboard charts go, he's ancient history.

Which two hits were those?

I only know one single from her and it was released in the early ‘90s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/06/18 at 5:34 pm

Which two hits were those?
She definitely had one with "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover".

Written By: nally on 01/06/18 at 5:39 pm

She definitely had one with "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover".

Her other big hit was "As I Lay Me Down" (1995), which had the background vocals that sounded like "Who loves tacos!"

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/06/18 at 5:40 pm

Her other big hit was "As I Lay Me Down" (1995), which had the background vocals that sounded like "Who loves tacos!"
Now that must be heard...

Written By: nally on 01/06/18 at 5:40 pm

Now that must be heard...

I might have posted it in the "1995 Year in music" thread (if not, someone else did).

Edit: Yep, someone did, here - http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=49237.msg3098076#msg3098076

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/06/18 at 5:56 pm

Yeah, because he will end up being one of the defining artists of the 10s in the near future.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 01/06/18 at 6:47 pm

Or worse.

Written By: temaichi on 01/07/18 at 5:31 am

Who is talking about kids, adults download/buys albums too.

Yeah i know. But most artists have a strong fanbase because of kids. He would`ve had a top selling album for almost 3 decades ago but not now. It`s a different era, mate.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/07/18 at 5:57 pm

I don't know. Maybe J Balvin, if Latin Pop goes anywhere.
But I don't think Ed Sheeran and Camilla Cabello will last past 2025. You never know though.
That's a good one so far. I do hope that Latin pop explodes back in the mainstream though. That genre has been missing for a long time. I don't think Ed Sheeran will last past 2020 though. He's already one of the established artists of this decade, and the radio has overplayed a few of his songs as well.

Those are good choices. I'll check out those bands when I can.

I'm hoping artists like Camila Cabello,  Cardi B and Halsey are influential next decade along with other brand new artists that will be huge in the 2020s.
I don't see cardi B being a potential candidate for the next era. I can see her making it to 2020, but after that no. Besides, she explained that she wanted to make trap music rather than conscious rap in an article I read. The problem is that she started too late in the game and that sub-genre could decline anytime now since Trap became relevant in the last 6/7 years.

No one who is popular today will be big in the 2020s. Unless we get some new artists popping up this year, I think new artists (ones we don't know about yet) who become big this year will be popular in the '20s. The exceptions are huge artists like Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift, and other classic artists from the 2000s, they will probably remain popular in the 2020s. But these new artists right now who have a couple of popular songs like Khalid, Lil Pump, and Camila Cabello will be gone before 2020 I think.
I agree with Lil' Pump, but Ed and T-Swift? They're already two of the defining artists, and Taylor is in her declining stage. It turns out her new album didn't do so well as her fans thought. As for classic artists from the 2000s, there's no way in hell they will still be relevant. Most of them were already out of the mainstream after 2010 ended.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/07/18 at 6:05 pm

I agree with Lil' Pump, but Ed and T-Swift? They're already two of the defining artists, and Taylor is in her declining stage. It turns out her new album didn't do so well as her fans thought. As for classic artists from the 2000s, there's no way in hell they will still be relevant. Most of them were already out of the mainstream after 2010 ended.

How wouldn't they be relevant?  ??? The huge popularity they have now doesn't go away fast just because a new decade comes. People will still remember them even 10 years from now. They may not be defining stars of the 2020s as they are this decade, but they will still be popular and relevant because they are huge artists and everyone knows who they are. Just like how Britney Spears was a huge defining star in the 2000s (not saying they are as big as her but still) but she comes back now in the 2010s sometimes and releases popular songs on the radio. There's no way Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift will fade away into obscurity next decade, even if they may not be as big as their peak like they were before. Just like many big 2000s artists who aren't as big now are still popular and not out of the spotlight.

Written By: temaichi on 01/07/18 at 6:24 pm

Justin Bieber ain`t going anywhere. He is the best male artist of this decade with an incredible following.
The only way he could end his career is by starting a family which he made it clear many times that he wanted to find a wife and start a family. He also wants to focus on religion more but that`s the only way he`d kill his career.

He will kinda be similar to how Timberlake was in the 2000s but he still managed to drop hits and stay relevant in the 2010s. Even now! He is coming up with a brand new album in the 2nd of February this year & i believe that Bieber will too either this year or 2019.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/07/18 at 6:30 pm

How wouldn't they be relevant?  ??? The huge popularity they have now doesn't go away fast just because a new decade comes. People will still remember them even ten years from now. They may not be defining stars of the 2020s as they are this decade, but both will still be popular and relevant because both are huge artists and everyone knows who they are. Just like how Britney Spears was a huge defining star in the 2000s (not saying they are as big as her but still) but she comes back now in the 2010s sometimes and releases popular songs on the radio. There's no way Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift will fade away into obscurity next decade, even if they may not be as big as their peak like they were before. Just like many big 2000s artists who aren't as big now, are still popular and not out of the spotlight.
You must be confusing the defining artists of an era with the greatest artists of all time bracket. I agree there are classic 00s artists out there today and still making songs, but that does not mean they are defining the decade.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/07/18 at 9:42 pm

You must be confusing the defining artists of an era with the greatest artists of all time bracket. I agree there are classic 00s artists out there today and still making songs, but that does not mean they are defining the decade.

Well I don't know I can't predict the future. I don't believe they will be defining but I do think they will still be around.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/08/18 at 12:28 pm

So, there a few more artists that I see being a good contender for the 2020s. What do you all think about Dua Lipa, Charlie Puth, and Kelela? Do you think they have what it takes to dominate into the next decade?

Well, I don't know I can't predict the future. I don't believe they will define the era, but I do think they will still be around.
Yeah, they will. They could move on to the adult contemporary stations although Ed is somewhat on there already.

Written By: ofkx on 01/08/18 at 12:44 pm

So, there a few more artists that I see being a good contender for the 2020s. What do you all think about Dua Lipa, Charlie Puth, and Kelela? Do you think they have what it takes to dominate into the next decade?
Yeah, they will. They could move on to the adult contemporary stations although Ed is somewhat on there already.

Perhaps Dua Lipa, but she seems to mostly be a one hit wonder. Most people don’t know any of her songs other than “New Rules”. I don’t believe that Ed Sheeran will be relevant in the 2020s tbh. He more of a late 10s artist. Same for Charlie Puth.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/08/18 at 1:12 pm

Perhaps Dua Lipa, but she seems to be a one-hit wonder mostly. Most people don’t know any of her songs other than “New Rules.” I don’t believe that Ed Sheeran will be relevant in the 2020s tbh. He is more of a late 10s artist. Same for Charlie Puth.
I agree with Ed. In the end, he will be considered a 10s artist. I mean, his songs go back to 2014 with Don't, Thinking Out Loud, and All of The Stars. I just don't see him going beyond the 2010s.

As for Charlie Puth, that could change if he makes songs based on current time and not the past.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/08/18 at 4:35 pm

Charlie Puth has been around for a while now. He was a mid 2010s artist. I first heard of him in 2015 with the number 2 song of 2015 "See You Again". Then he did a bunch of songs in 2016 and featured one with Meghan Trainor. I feel like he may peak this year, he doesn't have much staying power.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/09/18 at 3:04 pm

Charlie Puth has been around for a while now. He was a mid-2010s artist. I first heard of him in 2015 with the number 2 song of 2015 "See You Again." Then he did a bunch of songs in 2016 and featured one with Meghan Trainor. I feel like he may peak this year, he doesn't have much-staying power.
I heard that song too, but he could pull off more hits and dominate into the next decade. So far, the song Attention is doing well.

Written By: Bab2781 on 01/11/18 at 6:40 pm

It will probably be some new pop star that bursts on to the scene. I highly doubt it the singers we have now probably won't even be around in another 5-7 yrs.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/11/18 at 11:22 pm

Why is she so big now? Her music totally sucks  8-P

Written By: 80sfan on 01/12/18 at 12:21 am

I would have loved to have been old enough to remember Mariah Carey's debut in 1990.  :)

Written By: christopher on 01/12/18 at 7:48 am

OP, I don't even know who the ones you listed are. :D Online I mostly see news stories still for Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Eminem, Justin Timberlake etc. Those listed might come and go like .fun, Janelle Monnae, Gotye etc. - loved them but where are they now? Heck, even Lorde seems like old news, couldn't surpass "Royals" for a very long time now. Lady GaGa could surprisingly  reinvent herself or become irrelevant.

I'd vote for Eminem, Pink, Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Miley, Justin Timberlake, Pitbull like the most likely survivors.
I think Eminem and Pink are two of those artists that able to find relevance in each decade.

Written By: ofkx on 01/12/18 at 12:56 pm

OP, I don't even know who the ones you listed are. :D Online I mostly see news stories still for Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Eminem, Justin Timberlake etc. Those listed might come and go like .fun, Janelle Monnae, Gotye etc. - loved them but where are they now? Heck, even Lorde seems like old news, couldn't surpass "Royals" for a very long time now. Lady GaGa could surprisingly  reinvent herself or become irrelevant.

I'd vote for Eminem, Pink, Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Miley, Justin Timberlake, Pitbull like the most likely survivors.
I think Eminem and Pink are two of those artists that able to find relevance in each decade.

Miley and JT are not nearly as popular as they were a few years ago.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/12/18 at 1:35 pm

JT will stay around. No way someone with his level of fame will vanish next decade. Miley Cyrus probably not. I can see her going away. Taylor Swift will for sure be around next decade too because she is too huge to be forgotten about. I think she will be part of the next tier of celebrities who come back every few years and put out music. I think Lady Gaga will make a comeback next decade too, but whether that will be successful or not is a different story.

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/12/18 at 2:21 pm

I mean fun. broke up, so...

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/08/18 at 11:05 pm

Alright, it's been two months since this thread had a conversation. Who are some artists right now that were not originally listed you all think could define the next decade?

Written By: Dundee on 03/09/18 at 2:51 am

JT will stay around. No way someone with his level of fame will vanish next decade. Miley Cyrus probably not. I can see her going away. Taylor Swift will for sure be around next decade too because she is too huge to be forgotten about. I think she will be part of the next tier of celebrities who come back every few years and put out music. I think Lady Gaga will make a comeback next decade too, but whether that will be successful or not is a different story.

Lol that means absolutely nothing. Britney Spears was absolutely inescapable in the 2000s and she struggled to find a hit since 2011, her last album for instance bombed completely despite working hard on promotion.
JT is flopping right now pretty badly too and is certainly recieving that "uncool, old-fashioned" status among the youth, especially after that song for a children movie that was a huge hit 2 summers ago.

Highly doubt he will find a hit in the 2020s. Madonna and Michael so far are the only artists I know of that found succes in more than two decades.

Written By: xenzue on 03/09/18 at 3:33 am

^^ Janet Jackson has had incredible success in a span of 3 decades, and Beyoncé is nearing that.

As for the question of which artists will remain big in the ‘20s depends entirely on how dramatic the overall pop culture change is. If the shift isn’t significant, it can be safe to assume that artists like Dua Lipa, Shawn Mendes, Lil Pump, Cardi B, Camilla Cabello, etc. will remain relevant until around ‘23 which may be a major transition year. If the change is drastic (I’m guessing it will be), they’ll either have to adapt tremendously (vast majority will be unable to) or will be knocked out by ‘21.

There are several artists that may see success in the ‘20s as legacy artists:

- Beyoncé
- Nicki Minaj
- Kendrick Lamar
- J Cole
- Jay Z
- The Arctic Monkeys
- Kanye West
- Taylor Swift (even if she flops she’s still big)

Other artists simply aren’t innovative enough (or simply just tired lol) and may fall off by the early ‘20s. There’s a long ass list I could make, but I won’t because ppl will think I’m dragging their favs. Honestly, I think Ed Sheeran and Justin Timberlake might be one of them.

My guess is that the ‘20s will be dominated by a bunch of new faces, being less of a progression of pop culture in the ‘10s and more of like a reaction against it. I have no reason to believe it WILL happen but it’s a gut feeling. The bulk of these new artists/groups are just now starting their musical careers and are currently in the underground, they’ll probably blow up in the early ‘20s and dominate the decade.

Written By: Dundee on 03/09/18 at 4:46 am

Oh yeah, Janet had a good run too. Sad though the boob job ruined it all...

I can see Camilla Cabello becoming one of the biggest artists of the 2020s, her mix of Latin sounds and Contemporary R&B is extremely appealing to a large portion of the public and the recent latin resurgence might be indicative that is only the beginning.

Rihanna might be another one that would rule the charts for quite some time. She/her team is incredibly great at catching up on trends and is adaptive enough to stay relevant and on-top, you can basically pick any Rihanna album and listen to what was or getting popular at the time of its release.

Drake is on the steady rise, so he might become the biggest artist for at least the early portion of the decade.

The streaming era also make the charts much more unpredictable and less corporate-controlled than ever before. The impact of sales and radio are on steady decline too, so the 2020s might be full on surprise hits and it's really hard to guess what they will look like.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/09/18 at 5:32 am

I think it is a toss up between Pitbull and Ke$ha.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/09/18 at 8:49 am

I think it is a toss up between Pitbull and Ke$ha.

They're still popular?

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/09/18 at 11:09 am

They're still popular?

Of course. Ke$ha was the belle of the ball at the Grammy Awards.  8)

Written By: Slim95 on 03/09/18 at 12:34 pm

Lol that means absolutely nothing. Britney Spears was absolutely inescapable in the 2000s and she struggled to find a hit since 2011, her last album for instance bombed completely despite working hard on promotion.
JT is flopping right now pretty badly too and is certainly recieving that "uncool, old-fashioned" status among the youth, especially after that song for a children movie that was a huge hit 2 summers ago.

Highly doubt he will find a hit in the 2020s. Madonna and Michael so far are the only artists I know of that found succes in more than two decades.

Britney Spears is still famous... What are you talking about? That was the worst example to use ever because everyone knows who Britney Spears is she did not vanish. Just as Madonna didn't either. Just as Britney Spears is famous now, Justin Timberlake will be as well.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/09/18 at 12:36 pm

What on earth are you talking about? Both Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake had even Beyonce had hits and found success in THREE decades...

Written By: TheDude1999 on 03/09/18 at 2:09 pm

There’s way more people than that that found success in more than two decades. U2? Bruce Springsteen? Rolling Stones? Janet Jackson?

(And I don’t really think Michael Jackson counts, but I suppose one could argue he does).

Written By: TheDude1999 on 03/09/18 at 2:12 pm

Taylor Swift might have the potential to stick around for a long time if she stops trying to follow trends/fads (Reputation).

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/09/18 at 5:38 pm

Taylor Swift might have the potential to stick around for a long time if she stops trying to follow trends/fads (Reputation).

She's already on the decline. I'm expecting for her to follow the normal script, and eventually go full nude to juice her career.

Written By: ofkx on 03/10/18 at 10:52 am

She's already on the decline. I'm expecting for her to follow the normal script, and eventually go full nude to juice her career.

lmao ;D ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/04/19 at 10:41 pm

Alright, It's time for round 3! It's been a year now since I made this thread. In addition, we got some more new members who can add to the topic. When I originally made the subject, the first round of contenders were Cardi B, Khalid, J Balvin, Alessia Cara, Logic, Camila Cabello, Halsey, SZA, and one of the former One Direction members that could be the defining artists of the next decade. However, it seems that Khalid, Halsey, Cardi B, Camilla Cabello and maybe J Balvin are the ones still in the running. When I revived the thread, there was a second round of candidates being Dua Lipa, Charlie Puth, Rhianna (although there's a good chance she will be seen more as a 00s/10s artist), and Kelela. Since then, it seems only Charlie Puth made it. At this point, now that we're 11 months away from 2020, I think it's a good time to bump this topic again. My question is who are some artists right now that were not originally listed in the first two rounds you all think could define the next decade?

I have some guesses so far and they are Billie Ellish, Troye Sivan, Lauv, Anne Marie, Ella Mai, Kehlani and Normani.

Written By: Dundee on 02/05/19 at 5:56 am

I guess you can already tell for the early 2020s, but there's no way you can really predict for the mid-to-late-2020s. It's like trying to predict Post-Malone, Cardi B, Marshmellow and Dua Lipa in 2009, or Lady Gaga, Flo Rida, Pitbull and Kid Cudi in 1999.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/06/19 at 4:37 pm

I guess you can already tell for the early 2020s, but there's no way you can really predict for the mid-to-late-2020s. It's like trying to predict Post-Malone, Cardi B, Marshmellow and Dua Lipa in 2009, or Lady Gaga, Flo Rida, Pitbull and Kid Cudi in 1999.
True true. Those artists mentioned in the list could fade before 2025 (or even 2022 at the earliest) and therefore won't be able to define the second half of the 2020s, but it's nice to predict and see how music will change and what genres will branch out in the next several years.

Written By: android on 02/07/19 at 3:34 pm

I would add Bazzi, Marshmello, Ava Max, Louis the Child to the list of ones to watch

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/10/19 at 1:34 pm

I would add Bazzi, Marshmello, Ava Max, Louis the Child to the list of ones to watch
Oh shoot! I forgot all about Bazzi. I listened to a few of his songs a few months ago and they're good. I can see him being a contender for the next decade. Marshmello, most likely since he's been on the scene since 2017 and already has collaborated with a few artists. Ava Max, maybe but that depends if her debut single does well on the charts. So far, I saw some comments saying her song isn't all that great. The last one I haven't heard of but he or she does well this year, then that's another contestant.

Written By: musicguy93 on 02/10/19 at 2:22 pm

I don't care whether the current artists remain relevant or a wave of brand new artists come in. I just hope this whole overly trashy/ghetto/monotone vibe that has defined pop/hip-hop in this decade dies off. Speaking of which, rap has gotten way too much power/influence in this decade. I hope that it's power and influence dies out too, because I am sick of people thinking it's cool to be ghetto. Rap (and hopefully it will stop being so ghetto/trashy/smelly in the 2020s) will always have it's place, but it doesn't need to be monopolizing the entire music industry. Leave some room for some rock artists, as well as some good sounding pop artists (not the trashy tumblresque thotty pop artists). I also hope the indie-esque/droney/monotone/hipster vibe that has also defined pop in this decade dies out as well. Although both the styles I have listed have kind of intersected in the late 2010s, so it's kind of hard to tell the difference. It seems like everything in pop culture in the 2010s is a homogeneous mess. It literally makes me sick, in fact I can smell the stench from these artists by just looking at them on screen. I hope this singing style dies a horrible fiery death:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ0mxQXmLsk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF9YayOgjRg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJOTlE1K90k

This singing style is so disgusting sounding  8-P. I mean, can someone honestly explain to me the appeal of this trend. I really hope it doesn't survive past the 2010s. Enough of these slimy/trashy style.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/10/19 at 2:31 pm

I am sick of people thinking it's cool to be ghetto.

You...you do realize the point of rap music isn't to glorify the ghetto, but to actually point out how much it sucks, right?

Written By: Dundee on 02/10/19 at 2:45 pm

Pointing out to "Havana" as something bad makes your whole post immediately invalid. Sorry, bye
https://media.giphy.com/media/wNNEuEibofcje/giphy.gif

Written By: violet_shy on 02/10/19 at 2:52 pm

I'm sure there will be new artists in the 2020s.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/10/19 at 2:53 pm

Pointing out to "Havana" as something bad makes your whole post immediately invalid. Sorry, bye
https://media.giphy.com/media/wNNEuEibofcje/giphy.gif

That big block of text is essentially the same thing that has been regurgitated by certain individuals for decades. Rap is musical royalty and musicguy93 will just have to deal.
https://media.giphy.com/media/SGCm7xeBHGvRQhPGUp/giphy.gif

Written By: musicguy93 on 02/10/19 at 3:44 pm

You...you do realize the point of rap music isn't to glorify the ghetto, but to actually point out how much it sucks, right?

Uh sure, yeah right. Just because some rap music is pointing out how the ghetto sucks, doesn't mean that all rap music is doing that. And that's besides the point. Read my post AGAIN. I clearly said that PEOPLE think it's cool to be ghetto/trashy/disgusting in the 2010s. I wasn't specifically targeting the artists, but the entire hip-hop culture of the 2010s in general. I mean, look at how much power and influence it has right now. It's gone too far, and it's overshadowing other styles of music. Not to mention, hip-hop is far more vile than ever before. Even listening to it makes me nauseous. Anyway back to how modern hip-hop is ruining society. I mentioned in an earlier post that I worked at a mall booth a couple years ago. Above me on the second floor was this trashy/filthy hip-hop store called "Fresh Society" (with a name like that you could easily tell what kind of thugs work there) run by piece of trash people. Anyway, they were blasting out their sheeshty trap-rap/mumble-rap music, and I could hear it from the first floor. I decided to go up there to ask if they could turn it down a little bit. I'll admit I was angry, because I had been putting up with their filthy music for months.  I tried to shrug it off, but then I realized that NONE OF THE OTHER STORES ARE BLASTING THEIR MUSIC AS LOUD AS THEY ARE! So one day, I went up there and asked politely if they can please turn down the music a little bit because I could hear it from the first floor. Almost immediately, the workers started acting hostile and aggressive towards me saying "If you don't like it you can get out brah", and other variations of the same phrase. While yelling down my throat, several of them started approaching me, and were clearly trying to intimidate me away.

That's how most of these ghetto thugs operate, they gang up. And instead of discussing the matter like civilized human beings, they decided to strong arm me out of there. These are the types of people whom are allowed to run businesses in this piece of trash era. I was about to tell the manager at the mall about the incident, but I got fired (for something completely unrelated) shortly after. One thing I noticed about these modern day hip-hop/ghetto types, is that they are extremely defensive/hostile when it comes to their music. They will blast their music out of their phones, and when I ask them to please put on headphones, they get all aggressive, like I insulted them personally. This is the kind of power rap has nowadays. People of this subculture always seem to get their way. Even in gyms, where they explicitly tell people to have earphones on while listening to music, they blast out their sheeshty mumble/trap rap. What's more is that now stores and restaurants are blasting this garbage. And you know what's the biggest thing that pisses me off. The biggest piece of hypocrisy in today's society? All these stupid modern-day third/fourth wave feminists complain about "toxic-masculinity" and push all this "me-too" crap into everything. But when it comes to modern rap culture, which the complete embodiment of toxic masculinity, and is totally at odds for what they stand for, the freaking feminists/metoo types don't even bat an eye. Heck some of them even listen to the very same rap music! What hypocrisy!

Now, I don't hate all rap. I do think that old-school rap from the 80s/early (and SOME mid) 90s was actually pretty good. And I especially like New Jack Swing from the early 90s. Why? Because it was catchy. Sure it had some sexual themes, but they weren't nearly as on the nose as modern artists are. Then somewhere in the mid 90s, the whole ghetto/gangsta image started to become popular. I know that NWA had already been going with the whole "gangsta" aesthetic in the late 80s, but the fact is that it wasn't popularized until the mid 90s. Honestly, since then, rap has only gotten trashier, more ghetto, and more monotone. Now it's gotten to them point where it literally makes me nauseous just listening to it. All this mumble rap/trap rap is not only bad, it's disgusting to me. Even the so-called "good" modern rappers like Kendrick Lamar and Childish Gambino are completely un-listenable to me. Heck, this may be a controversial opinion, but I don't care. I'd rather listen to the cheesiest of early 90s pop-rappers like M.C. Hammer and Vanilla Ice than listen to monotonous dribble like Kendrick Lamar and Childish Gambino. At least the former had some sort of catch to them. The latter is just boring to me.

Now I hope you will read my post, and understand where I'm coming from. If I seem angry or bitter, it's because I am, but at least I am not ashamed to admit it. I have to deal with some many people that I cannot relate to. And I'm forced to accept this current culture or be left out in the dust. But whatever, if you choose to give me another snarky reply, I won't be surprised. I represent what you despise. But guess what? I don't care. I don't care if you or if everyone else on this site despises me. I have had to put up with so much bull-crap over the years. And yes, there was a time where I gave people the benefit of the doubt. I was tolerant, and I aimed to be as open and as accepting as I could be to people. Heck I even believed a lot of the SJW crap at college. But that obviously wasn't reciprocated, and all I got in return was isolation, rejection, and loneliness . That's why I'm done. I'm done supporting all these stupid hypocritical movements, I'm done tolerating people who don't tolerate me, I'm done trying to relate to toxic ghetto people, I'm done with everything! You people can do whatever you want, but you will never EVER see an ounce of support from me again.

Written By: musicguy93 on 02/10/19 at 4:14 pm

Rap is music royalty and That big block of text is essentially the same thing that has been regurgitated by certain individuals for decades. Rap is musical royalty and musicguy93 will just have to deal.
https://media.giphy.com/media/SGCm7xeBHGvRQhPGUp/giphy.gif

You, Mr. Shruggie, and LooseBolt, are incapable of anything besides stupid, snarky, buzzfeed-esque comments. I swear to god, you could be the same person for all I know. Nothing that you three have posted holds any weight. You truly believe that ghetto/thug culture will last forever, but you have no way of measuring that. If rap does continue, it will eventually drop the trashy/ghetto aspect that has essentially gotten to a boiling point in the 2010s. Even if rap continues to dominate, I will continue supporting musical styles/artists that I like. And besides, the public will eventually get sick of this overly-trashy/ghetto/slutty era. They will want alternatives. You are a delusional fool if you think you will keep getting your way and dominating, while others fall by the wayside. Like I said, the gloves are off. I've just about had enough of you, LooseBolt, and Mr. Shruggie. Now I'm actually going to put all 3 you in your places, even if it means I have to be the "bad guy". I mean, not that you 3 are the "good-guys" by any stretch of the imagination.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/10/19 at 4:27 pm

Rap and gangster rap and "ghetto rap" have flourished because there is an AUDIENCE for recordings that chronicle the slapping down of impertinent hoes, chugging 40s of Olde English Malt Liquor, and busting a cap on some disrespectful rival.

This music ain't going away.

Written By: Dundee on 02/10/19 at 4:41 pm

Dear musicguy93,
Don't be so oversensitive that you read every jokey comment as a personal attack and needlessly defensive as a response by going on weird off tangents and desperate attempts to tackle each individual's persona.
I won't even try to read through most of your giant blocks of text (from what I've read they're mostly substanceless temper tantrums about being supposedely an outcast) or trying to resonate with what seems to be a le-wrong-generationesque rockist as there are enough of them on the internet and from my own experience they're mostly stubborn to the brim.
Have a nice day
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DamagedUniformGallowaycow-small.gif

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/10/19 at 4:59 pm

You, Mr. Shruggie, and LooseBolt, are incapable of anything besides stupid, snarky, buzzfeed-esque comments. I swear to god, you could be the same person for all I know. Nothing that you three have posted holds any weight. You truly believe that ghetto/thug culture will last forever, but you have no way of measuring that. If rap does continue, it will eventually drop the trashy/ghetto aspect that has essentially gotten to a boiling point in the 2010s. Even if rap continues to dominate, I will continue supporting musical styles/artists that I like. And besides, the public will eventually get sick of this overly-trashy/ghetto/slutty era. They will want alternatives. You are a delusional fool if you think you will keep getting your way and dominating, while others fall by the wayside. Like I said, the gloves are off. I've just about had enough of you, LooseBolt, and Mr. Shruggie. Now I'm actually going to put all 3 you in your places, even if it means I have to be the "bad guy". I mean, not that you 3 are the "good-guys" by any stretch of the imagination.

The mainstream rap that defines the 2010s is less "thuggish" than the previous two eras lmao. So, I have no clue what you're talking about. And I'm not sure what your definition of "ghetto" is. Current rap stars are being called the new "rockstars" because the subject matter of drugs, money, and women are similar. Therefore, if rapstars are "ghetto" so are these rockstars they are being compared to. This may be the softest rap has been in a long time, there are lots of emo rap artists in rotation right now. Some of which are considered to be defining artists of the new generation of rappers. The abundance of rappers like xxx, peep, juice wrld, etc would never flourish in any other era because the hyper-combative atmosphere of rap at the time wouldn't allow it. We first had to have Kanye & Kid Cudi pave the way for these kids to flourish.

There are subgenres of rap like "Drill" music that contains violent content but it is more regional and not even popular in the mainstream. You can't use it to define the entire 2010s. You want to give some examples of the "ghetto/thug" music you're referring to? 69, 21 savage, etc, who else? If you're angry that the subgenre exists at all, then you're out of luck. Like lyric said, there will always be an audience for that type of music but that doesn't mean that it's the main subgenre of the 2010s. The term trap music doesn't even have the same meaning it did 10 years ago. Most songs labeled trap these days are not about the trap. "Trap music" now refers to the sound of a song, not the content (which can be about anything these days). That's how far rap has progressed. You are clearly looking at this from one side and are not giving hip-hop of the 2010s the credit it deserves.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/10/19 at 5:03 pm

Wish I would have read his "personal text" before wasting my time writing those paragraphs.  :P

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/10/19 at 6:23 pm

Uh sure, yeah right. Just because some rap music is pointing out how the ghetto sucks, doesn't mean that all rap music is doing that. And that's besides the point. Read my post AGAIN. I clearly said that PEOPLE think it's cool to be ghetto/trashy/disgusting in the 2010s. I wasn't specifically targeting the artists, but the entire hip-hop culture of the 2010s in general. I mean, look at how much power and influence it has right now. It's gone too far, and it's overshadowing other styles of music. Not to mention, hip-hop is far more vile than ever before. Even listening to it makes me nauseous. Anyway back to how modern hip-hop is ruining society. I mentioned in an earlier post that I worked at a mall booth a couple years ago. Above me on the second floor was this trashy/filthy hip-hop store called "Fresh Society" (with a name like that you could easily tell what kind of thugs work there) run by piece of trash people. Anyway, they were blasting out their sheeshty trap-rap/mumble-rap music, and I could hear it from the first floor. I decided to go up there to ask if they could turn it down a little bit. I'll admit I was angry, because I had been putting up with their filthy music for months.  I tried to shrug it off, but then I realized that NONE OF THE OTHER STORES ARE BLASTING THEIR MUSIC AS LOUD AS THEY ARE! So one day, I went up there and asked politely if they can please turn down the music a little bit because I could hear it from the first floor. Almost immediately, the workers started acting hostile and aggressive towards me saying "If you don't like it you can get out brah", and other variations of the same phrase. While yelling down my throat, several of them started approaching me, and were clearly trying to intimidate me away.

That's how most of these ghetto thugs operate, they gang up. And instead of discussing the matter like civilized human beings, they decided to strong arm me out of there. These are the types of people whom are allowed to run businesses in this piece of trash era. I was about to tell the manager at the mall about the incident, but I got fired (for something completely unrelated) shortly after. One thing I noticed about these modern day hip-hop/ghetto types, is that they are extremely defensive/hostile when it comes to their music. They will blast their music out of their phones, and when I ask them to please put on headphones, they get all aggressive, like I insulted them personally. This is the kind of power rap has nowadays. People of this subculture always seem to get their way. Even in gyms, where they explicitly tell people to have earphones on while listening to music, they blast out their sheeshty mumble/trap rap. What's more is that now stores and restaurants are blasting this garbage. And you know what's the biggest thing that pisses me off. The biggest piece of hypocrisy in today's society? All these stupid modern-day third/fourth wave feminists complain about "toxic-masculinity" and push all this "me-too" crap into everything. But when it comes to modern rap culture, which the complete embodiment of toxic masculinity, and is totally at odds for what they stand for, the freaking feminists/metoo types don't even bat an eye. Heck some of them even listen to the very same rap music! What hypocrisy!

Now, I don't hate all rap. I do think that old-school rap from the 80s/early (and SOME mid) 90s was actually pretty good. And I especially like New Jack Swing from the early 90s. Why? Because it was catchy. Sure it had some sexual themes, but they weren't nearly as on the nose as modern artists are. Then somewhere in the mid 90s, the whole ghetto/gangsta image started to become popular. I know that NWA had already been going with the whole "gangsta" aesthetic in the late 80s, but the fact is that it wasn't popularized until the mid 90s. Honestly, since then, rap has only gotten trashier, more ghetto, and more monotone. Now it's gotten to them point where it literally makes me nauseous just listening to it. All this mumble rap/trap rap is not only bad, it's disgusting to me. Even the so-called "good" modern rappers like Kendrick Lamar and Childish Gambino are completely un-listenable to me. Heck, this may be a controversial opinion, but I don't care. I'd rather listen to the cheesiest of early 90s pop-rappers like M.C. Hammer and Vanilla Ice than listen to monotonous dribble like Kendrick Lamar and Childish Gambino. At least the former had some sort of catch to them. The latter is just boring to me.

Now I hope you will read my post, and understand where I'm coming from. If I seem angry or bitter, it's because I am, but at least I am not ashamed to admit it. I have to deal with some many people that I cannot relate to. And I'm forced to accept this current culture or be left out in the dust. But whatever, if you choose to give me another snarky reply, I won't be surprised. I represent what you despise. But guess what? I don't care. I don't care if you or if everyone else on this site despises me. I have had to put up with so much bull-crap over the years. And yes, there was a time where I gave people the benefit of the doubt. I was tolerant, and I aimed to be as open and as accepting as I could be to people. Heck I even believed a lot of the SJW crap at college. But that obviously wasn't reciprocated, and all I got in return was isolation, rejection, and loneliness . That's why I'm done. I'm done supporting all these stupid hypocritical movements, I'm done tolerating people who don't tolerate me, I'm done trying to relate to toxic ghetto people, I'm done with everything! You people can do whatever you want, but you will never EVER see an ounce of support from me again.

So in other words, "I want white music to be dominant again and for those black people to stop being so uppity." Am I getting that right? You might also be surprised to find that rap has been penetrated by feminism and the MeToo movement as well. Notice how many rap artists are being taken down? It'll lead to an overall healthier industry and genre (and this is not to mention the plenty of respectful artists that are out there if you ever bothered to actually look into it without making sweeping generalizations).

Look, I agree that the music industry is generally in a sorry state. In that, you and I have a lot in common. But it's not because of "ghetto thugs," but a small handful of ultra-rich old guys who have been determining musical trends for basically the last twenty-five years.

And where did all this SJW stuff come from? For cripe's sake, we were talking about music.

Written By: xenzue on 02/10/19 at 9:00 pm

You deadass typed a 300 page essay on how mad you are aint nobody gon read that shít 😭😭

Written By: xenzue on 02/10/19 at 9:08 pm

Rock “died” because elitists drove rock into a corporatist, bland, uninnovative state. Ever since Gen X grew up rockers been some of the most annoying music fans. Go listen to Greta van Fleetwater or whatever.

And the gag is the some of the best rock music ever was created by what you call SJWs but that was known already

Written By: mc98 on 02/10/19 at 11:37 pm

Woah, that is saltier than the Dead Sea.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/11/19 at 5:18 am

Rock “died” because elitists drove rock into a corporatist, bland, uninnovative state. Ever since Gen X grew up rockers been some of the most annoying music fans. Go listen to Greta van Fleetwater or whatever.

And the gag is the some of the best rock music ever was created by what you call SJWs but that was known already

I was so disappointed to hear Greta Van Fleet won the rock Grammy over Alice In Chains and Weezer. Weezer, for God’s sake!

Written By: Dundee on 02/11/19 at 7:24 am

Weezer, for God’s sake!
Well their recent stuff wasn't exactly brilliant. "Pacific Daydream" was an extremely disappointing comeback, especially since "The White Album" seemed like a return to form. They even released a joke album where they cover "No Scrubs" a few weeks ago for crying out loud. Let's hope "The Black Album" will turn out as a good album at least.

But yeah, I agree that the faux-Led Zeppelin-cover-band whome album was torn apart by the music press getting a grammy is another low for the genre.

Written By: mc98 on 02/11/19 at 7:58 am

Well their recent stuff wasn't exactly brilliant. "Pacific Daydream" was an extremely disappointing comeback, especially since "The White Album" seemed like a return to form. They even released a joke album where they cover "No Scrubs" a few weeks ago for crying out loud. Let's hope "The Black Album" will turn out as a good album at least.

But yeah, I agree that the faux-Led Zeppelin-cover-band whome album was torn apart by the music press getting a grammy is another low for the genre.

I was really glad that Kacey Musgraves won AOTY even though I liked Janalle Monae's Dirty Computer better. I wish both get the attention they deserve.

Written By: Dundee on 02/11/19 at 8:07 am

I was really glad that Kacey Musgraves won AOTY even though I liked Janalle Monae's Dirty Computer better. I wish both get the attention they deserve.
Yes her album was a great one, very soft and well-written. I highly recommend it to people checking it out if they want a quality album with a slick production, and it's not even particularly very country.

Yeah, the lack of exposure Janelle Monae got is easily one of the biggest musical crimes of this decade.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/11/19 at 8:28 am

Stop with the personal attacks. If there are any more, this thread WILL be locked!

Cat

Written By: JackSepton on 02/11/19 at 6:30 pm

i thought you were only allowed to be nostalgic about stuff from your "core childhood", hence 97 borns are not allowed to be nostalgic about stuff from when they were say 3 or 4 years old, or am i wrong here?

Written By: Dundee on 02/11/19 at 7:20 pm

i thought you were only allowed to be nostalgic about stuff from your "core childhood", hence 97 borns are not allowed to be nostalgic about stuff from when they were say 3 or 4 years old, or am i wrong here?
The heck are you coming from with this. This is completely random and intirely irrelevant to the thread's subject.

Also please can we stop with this ridiculous nostalgia police enforcement on what people should or should not be nostalgic about, it's getting really, really pathetic at this point.

Written By: JackSepton on 02/11/19 at 7:28 pm

The heck are you coming from with this. This is completely random and intirely irrelevant to the thread's subject.

Also please can we stop with this ridiculous nostalgia police enforcement on what people should or should not be nostalgic about, it's getting really, really pathetic at this point.

95 borns are more of an early 00s kid then you
your core childhood didnt even begin until 2003, and as we all know 2/3 of that year isnt mathematically the early 00s (i sure hope your born early in the year)

Written By: Dundee on 02/11/19 at 7:45 pm

95 borns are more of an early 00s kid then you
your core childhood didnt even begin until 2003, and as we all know 2/3 of that year isnt mathematically the early 00s (i sure hope your born early in the year)
Again, this is intirely irrelevant to the thread. You're clearly only trying to start arguing with me for some reason, to which I will not conceed. At least pick the right thread to do that.
There's a chance you're an alt account since you also strongly remind me of another member obsessed with this embarassing self-satisfaction in trying to overprotect what era shall be touched by who.

Now cut it off with that.

Anyway y'all think Trap will still dominate the early 2020s? ???

Written By: mc98 on 02/11/19 at 7:52 pm

Again, this is intirely irrelevant to the thread. You're clearly only trying to start arguing with me for some reason, to which I will not conceed. At least pick the right thread to do that.
There's a chance you're an alt account since you also strongly remind me of another member obsessed with this embarassing self-satisfaction in trying to overprotect what era shall be touched by who.

Now cut it off with that.

Anyway y'all think Trap will still dominate the early 2020s? ???

Trap might decline in late 2019. Usually decade defining genres decline in popularity in the 9th year of the decade.

Written By: 2001 on 02/11/19 at 8:07 pm

Lol @ y'all trying to argue whether trashy ghetto rap music or the whiney ASBO-youth petty vandalism rock music is better. Western music is GARBAGE. K-POP is what is needed to protect our children and future generations.

r3yxxe66LXs

Omg not my high school jam and what I play when doing deadlifts being more than 10 years old.  :\'(

Written By: Dundee on 02/11/19 at 8:10 pm

^Ah yes K-Pop is clearly the future and where it's at currently. Vote Blankpink for President(s) 8)

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/11/19 at 9:05 pm

I'm thinking they meant to post in the early 2000s thread?

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 02/11/19 at 10:02 pm

I think Dua Lipa, Camilla Cabello, Billie Eilish, Post Malone, and Halsey would be popular by the early 2020s, but only a few of them would stay around 2023-26...

As for the classic 2010s artists, Katy Perry and Rihanna are gone, Justin Bieber and T. Swift are reaching there, while Shawn Mendes, Ed Sheeran, Drake, and Charlie Puth are just starting to fade. Artists like Ariana Grande are still popular, but oddly enough, a few 2014-16 artists like Alessia Cara, Elle Goulding, and Daya just simply didn’t last.

If talking about genres, lo-fi would probably stay in 2020, but Trap is just starting to fall off a little, as Hip Hop/R&B is going to either a bounce direction, or lo-fi direction, or both. I highly dought that the 2010s EDM sound would last in 2020 because Electro Swing or a 1920s/2010s mix of dance. Pop will remain pop, just sounding different, maybe something 1920s-inspired, but these are just my assumptions, because the roaring 2020s COULD possibly be a thing.

Written By: Dundee on 02/12/19 at 5:51 am

Pop will remain pop, just sounding different, maybe something 1920s-inspired, but these are just my assumptions, because the roaring 2020s COULD possibly be a thing.

This could be an interesting possibility. I can of want to see in what way a look back on the 1920s would affect Pop culture in the next decade

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/12/19 at 2:21 pm

I strongly agree with what was said earlier: on the one hand, I think a lot of the bigger mainstream pop artists are going to continue co-opting the vaporwave aesthetic for flashy, glitchy music. But the nice and interesting trend is all the artists pulling back from that for something more down-to-earth, with this whole lo fi sound. I think a lot of people - myself included - are getting tired of the domination of EDM and overproduced music, and are looking for something that sounds more natural and less bombastic.

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/12/19 at 2:45 pm

Niall Horan will be a MEGASTAR

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/02/19 at 7:02 pm

I think Dua Lipa, Camilla Cabello, Billie Eilish, Post Malone, and Halsey would be popular by the early 2020s, but only a few of them would stay around 2023-26...

As for the classic 2010s artists, Katy Perry and Rihanna are done, Justin Bieber and T. Swift are reaching there, while Shawn Mendes, Ed Sheeran, Drake, and Charlie Puth are just starting to fade. Artists like Ariana Grande are still popular, but oddly enough, a few 2014-16 artists like Alessia Cara, Elle Goulding, and Daya just simply didn’t last.

If talking about genres, lo-fi would probably stay in 2020, but Trap is just starting to fall off a little, as Hip Hop/R&B is going to either a bounce direction, or lo-fi direction, or both. I highly dought that the 2010s EDM sound would last in 2020 because of Electro Swing or a 1920s/2010s mix of dance. Pop will remain pop, just sounding different, maybe something 1920s-inspired, but these are just my assumptions because the roaring 2020s COULD possibly be a thing.
I hope that Dua Lipa and Camilla Cabello stay in the game in the upcoming decade. They both have a foot in the door that can put them at #1. Billie Eilish and Halsey are two others I see staying popular in the 2020s since they both have a unique style to their musical tastes. Post Malone, I don't think he will last beyond 2020 unless he heads in another direction. I read that he loves playing guitar so that could keep him on the scene. Yeah, Katy Perry, Drake and Rihanna are definitely on their way out especially since they have been popular for a decade and for Rihanna about the last 15 years. I think they will come out with one more album and then there's a chance they will retire from music and move on to different opportunities. For Alessia Cara and Ed Sheeran, I wouldn't count them out just yet considering Ed had a few popular songs from last year and Cara hasn't reached her potential at the moment, so you should give her another chance.

----------------------------------------------

I also wanted to say regarding Musicguy's comments. While some of them came off as rants, I have to agree with him on the rap scene. For one, trap-rap/mumble-rap has run its course. I've been listening to the sub-genre since it became popular in the black community and it hasn't been all that great. There are a few songs I like and they can be funny at times, but I can't stand most of them and I would rather listen to rappers such as Kendrick, Gambino, J. Cole etc. where I hear not only what they're saying, but they actually talk about what's important. If we were to discuss the sub-genres of hip-hop from each decade, I would absolutely take gangsta, crunk and even snap/ringtone rap over trap-rap anytime. At least, they all had substance. Another thing I agree with is rap needs to take a backseat and let others flourish in the mainstream again. Right now, there are tons of R&B songs out there that are great and they're barely receiving the airtime they deserve. I can only listen to them either on Pandora or Youtube. It would be awesome to see those tracks get played on the radio as the older ones did. Plus, it would be better to see more variety again such as quality EDM, Spanish Pop, Bubblegum pop, Soul, Pop Rock etc as we did for a short time in 2017.

Written By: mc98 on 03/02/19 at 7:17 pm

I hope that Dua Lipa and Camilla Cabello stay in the game in the upcoming decade. They both have a foot in the door that can put them at #1. Billie Eilish and Halsey are two others I see staying popular in the 2020s since they both have a unique style to their musical tastes. Post Malone, I don't think he will last beyond 2020 unless he heads in another direction. I read that he loves playing guitar so that could keep him on the scene. Yeah, Katy Perry, Drake and Rihanna are definitely on their way out especially since they have been popular for a decade and for Rihanna about the last 15 years. I think they will come out with one more album and then there's a chance they will retire from music and move on to different opportunities. For Alessia Cara and Ed Sheeran, I wouldn't count them out just yet considering Ed had a few popular songs from last year and Cara hasn't reached her potential at the moment, so you should give her another chance.

----------------------------------------------

I also wanted to say regarding Musicguy's comments. While some of them came off as rants, I have to agree with him on the rap scene. For one, trap-rap/mumble-rap has run its course. I've been listening to the sub-genre since it became popular in the black community and it hasn't been all that great. There are a few songs I like and they can be funny at times, but I can't stand most of them and I would rather listen to rappers such as Kendrick, Gambino, J. Cole etc. where I hear not only what they're saying, but they actually talk about what's important. If we were to discuss the sub-genres of hip-hop from each decade, I would absolutely take gangsta, crunk and even snap/ringtone rap over trap-rap anytime. At least, they all had substance. Another thing I agree with is rap needs to take a backseat and let others flourish in the mainstream again. Right now, there are tons of R&B songs out there that are great and they're barely receiving the airtime they deserve. I can only listen to them either on Pandora or Youtube. It would be awesome to see those tracks get played on the radio as the older ones did. Plus, it would be better to see more variety again such as quality EDM, Spanish Pop, Bubblegum pop, Soul, Pop Rock etc as we did for a short time in 2017.

The first half of 2017 at least had variety but in the second half is where it went downhill when everyone decided to put Trap beats on everything.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/02/19 at 8:19 pm

The first half of 2017 at least had variety but in the second half is where it went downhill when everyone decided to put Trap beats on everything.
Pretty much. That's why I hope this is the year we have a wide range of music again.

Check for new replies or respond here...