inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2020s Punk Revival?

Written By: Looney Toon on 01/08/18 at 12:04 am

Punk culture was big from the 1970s to the 2000s, but as seemed to have declined somewhat. Well unless you count Hipster culture as punk culture since Hipster culture does adopt the idea of going against the mainstream. Anyways as we moved into the 2000s there was a ton of punk related culture with things like Pop Punk, Skate Punk, Emo etc were popular (who do you think the demographic was that bought them Tony Hawk Pro Skater games?  ;D ).  Punky kids, teens, and young adults were a common thing during the 1970s to 2000s, however, in the 2010s it seems like the punky culture has declined in popularity (again assuming whether or not you consider hipster culture as part of punk culture). I'm not saying Punk is dead, but it does seem to have declined a bit.

Anyone think the 2020s will give create a new popular punk scene?  Some say with things like Donald Trump's presence and the downfall of things like Net Neutrality will spring a new rise in a group of folks who'll try to go against the mainstream and the system (or something along those lines). Although this last part is just speculation by what some folks have told me. Those folks being some co-workers who were part of the punk scene (1 who took part of the punk scene during 80s and 2 others who were part of the punk scene from 1999 - 2006) and were just talking about how the way things are now they wouldn't be surprised on new big punk scene starting again.

Subject: Re: 2020s Punk Revival?

Written By: bchris02 on 01/08/18 at 12:40 am

I don't know.  Pop punk has tried to push back into the mainstream for the past couple of years yet it hasn't been successful.  A lot of people really want to see a pop punk revival but I remain skeptical until it happens.  There were a few good songs last year that were EDM but with pop punk vocals, which would actually be an interesting trend, yet they didn't chart very well if at all.

Rock might go the way of jazz and swing.  It will always have fans and will always remain popular but it won't have much of a presence in Top 40 outside of a crossover song here and there.

Subject: Re: 2020s Punk Revival?

Written By: Looney Toon on 01/08/18 at 1:00 am

I don't know.  Pop punk has tried to push back into the mainstream for the past couple of years yet it hasn't been successful.  A lot of people really want to see a pop punk revival but I remain skeptical until it happens.  There were a few good songs last year that were EDM but with pop punk vocals, which would actually be an interesting trend, yet they didn't chart very well if at all.

Rock might go the way of jazz and swing.  It will always have fans and will always remain popular but it won't have much of a presence in Top 40 outside of a crossover song here and there.

With all punk scenes trying to revive old genres or culture ideas doesn't seem like the way to go. What kept punk going on was that it would take new forms and ideas and mix them with the basics of punk culture. Maybe if they got Pop Punk and kept experimenting with new combinations from other genres or make an entirely new sound.

But yeah Rock might go the way of Jazz. Something you hear people bring up, but it's not the music the hip young crowd is listening to so it isn't in the Top 40. Although we've all seen Rock being popular with youth for so long that the idea of it not entertaining those in youth culture is just weird. Rock started and go popular in the 60s which is also when the very first ideas of  Punk culture popped up. If Rock declines so does Punk culture. Which makes me think we'll either get new Punk culture that isn't connected to Rock or we'll start getting new popular non-Punky subcultures and countercultures.

Check for new replies or respond here...