inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: If you went to bed in 2018 and woke up in 2010...

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/09/18 at 11:12 am

I decided to make this thread for fun. How different would it be if you were in 2018 one day and teleported to 2010 the next day?
The first noticeable difference for me is I would look in the mirror and see an 8-year-old little girl instead of a 15-year-old teenager. I would see that my room has more dolls, and I'd have way more toys. I would have wondered where my Snapchat and Instagram went, and why I don't have an iPhone 6+. I would probably wonder why people are using Slide phones and digital cameras instead of just iPhones. I would probably wonder why trap music isn't popular. I would notice that there are hardly any hipsters around and I would notice that more guys have long hair. If I did the whip nae nae or dab in 2010, people would probably think I need help. I wouldn't even have a pet yet unless it was Christmas of 2010 and I'd wonder why he is so small compared to when I went to bed in 2018. And of course, I would look at the date on my phone or calendar and it would say 2010.

Subject: Re: If you went to bed in 2018 and woke up in 2010...

Written By: bchris02 on 01/09/18 at 11:32 am

Geesh...if I could have one wish it would be for this to happen.

My personal life is an irrecoverable wreck largely due to decisions I made in 2010 and the rabbit trail they led me down. 

I miss everything about 2010.  I miss the fact that we had social media but it was less all-encompassing than it is today.  I miss the much more liberal culture and that things like science and education were valued back then instead of looked down on like they are today.  I miss the fact that Trump being President would be thought of as a joke.  We didn't have gay marriage back then but we also didn't have as much of the extreme hatred and anger towards the LGBTQ community that we have today.  The prominence of Westboro Baptist Church and their extreme caricature of homophobia was ironically promoting tolerance.  Today, mainstream ideas aren't far from Westboro.  It was an overall less uptight era.  I still had my youth and good looks.  What I would give to relive it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/09/18 at 11:40 am

If I woke up then, I would find myself back in employment, and earning money again, which would come in very useful for me.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/09/18 at 12:43 pm

2010 was a horrible year for me. I would be in a nightmare!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/09/18 at 1:14 pm

Leave my law career for another go at college? Yes please!

Also 2010 is when my now-wife and I started our relationship, so it might be fun to get back to those days.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/09/18 at 1:20 pm

I would be turning 11 instead of turning 19. I would have graduated from elementary school in June 2010 and started middle school in September 2010. I would have not gone on vacation for the second summer in a row. It would be the last summer of my childhood. My favorite shows and cartoons either were coming to an end or already did in the few years prior to 2010. Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon & Disney Channel were all changing and focusing on a new target demographic in 2010.

2010 was an OK year for me but I wouldn't want to go back to that year though.

Written By: Milk on 01/09/18 at 1:28 pm

My personal life is an irrecoverable wreck largely due to decisions I made in 2010 and the rabbit trail they led me down. 

I miss everything about 2010.  I miss the fact that we had social media but it was less all-encompassing than it is today.  I miss the much more liberal culture and that things like science and education were valued back then instead of looked down on like they are today.  I miss the fact that Trump being President would be thought of as a joke.  We didn't have gay marriage back then but we also didn't have as much of the extreme hatred and anger towards the LGBTQ community that we have today.  The prominence of Westboro Baptist Church and their extreme caricature of homophobia was ironically promoting tolerance.  Today, mainstream ideas aren't far from Westboro.  It was an overall less uptight era.  I still had my youth and good looks.  What I would give to relive it.

What are you talking about? Lgbt are more accepted now than 8 years ago.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/09/18 at 1:53 pm

What are you talking about? Lgbt are more accepted now than 8 years ago.

Overall yes.  However, since the SCOTUS decision on gay marriage, those who are against it are much angrier and much more vocal.  Average "Christians" are saying the kind of things that you once only heard from groups like the Westboro Baptist Church.  I remember after the Orlando shooting I had to hear people saying things like "I wish the shooter would have killed more" and that "those abominations deserved it" and stuff like that.  As somebody who lives in an extremely religious, conservative, and Trump supporting area I have to experience this on a daily basis.  The country right now is extremely divided.  You have one America that has seen tremendous progress and the other America that has gone backwards.  The latter America is currently in control of the overall culture.

Written By: Howard on 01/09/18 at 1:57 pm

If I woke up in 2010, most likely I would've said no to working in a different area and I'm referring to Pathmark.

Written By: 2001 on 01/09/18 at 2:03 pm

I would either be a high schooler or a 17 year old office worker depending on which month it is. I graduated high school in June 2010.

I would honestly be upset. Don't get me wrong, I loved 2010 as it was ongoing and it would be cool to see my high school friends in one place again, but I can't live without the friends I made at university and I love my current job a lot more. Going back to 2010 would be a huge downgrade, like going from Windows 10 to Windows 98 or something haha. Being 24/25 beats being 17 any day of the week.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 01/09/18 at 2:08 pm

I would either be a high schooler or a 17 year old office worker depending on which month it is. I graduated high school in June 2010.

I would honestly the upset. Don't get me wrong, I loved 2010 as it was ongoing and it would be cool to see my high school friends in one place again, but I can't live without the friends I made at university and I love my current job a lot more. Going back to 2010 would be a huge downgrade, like going from Windows 10 to Windows 98 or something haha. Being 24/25 beats being 17 any day of the week.

Does it really? Should I look forward to being 25 lol?

Written By: 2001 on 01/09/18 at 2:21 pm

Does it really? Should I look forward to being 25 lol?

Work hard, make good choices and you will reap the benefits. ;D

Written By: Longaotian00 on 01/09/18 at 2:22 pm

Work hard, make good choices and you will reap the benefits. ;D

Hmm last time I heard you were skipping math classes at university... ;D ;D

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/09/18 at 2:29 pm

On the other hand, I worked hard in 2010-2016 and studied in an area that should assure me success. Now I'm a lawyer. I make a good amount of money but I do not like my job.

Written By: 2001 on 01/09/18 at 2:49 pm

Hmm last time I heard you were skipping math classes at university... ;D ;D

Hey, hey, hey, I passed that course. D+ is a pass. ;D

And when I was being interviewed for my job, I got asked how my math was like, and I said "I love math! I got top marks in Calculus in high school!" and he was impressed. Where is the lie? ;D

On the other hand, I worked hard in 2010-2016 and studied in an area that should assure me success. Now I'm a lawyer. I make a good amount of money but I do not like my job.

Ouch, that sucks. Do you think it might be your employer? Or are you self-employed as a lawyer?  I think I would hate my job if it wasn't in such a supportive environment.

At my job in 2010, my manager would take advantage of my natural inclination to be harmonious/non-confrontational. Good grief, nag nag nag. Everything's an argument. That's a memory from 2010/2011 I've been supressing.  :(

Written By: 2001 on 01/09/18 at 3:53 pm

I think LGBT acceptance still had a long way to go in 2010. I remember there was a kid in the lower grades who was into Lady Gaga and fashion, and the gossip about him at school was brutal. I don't know if he got roughed up like I did but I wouldn't be surprised. I remember when my teacher brought in free candy and he had a lot of spare left, he asked if anyone wanted more  and a girl said "Oh I'll take some for my girlfriend". Then and there the class fell radio silent and people were giving each other weird looks and even the teacher looked confused. LGBT visibility was not as high back then even if attitudes were starting to become more tolerant.

For transgender people it was way worse in 2010, no question about it. It wasn't at my school, but I remember walking in the mall late at night with my cousin and he was talking to me about how there's this freaky tranny at his school. "One day he was a weird quiet guy and the next day he came in a skirt and thought he was a girl. It was so f*cked up" is roughly what I remember him saying. I think that was around Christmas 2010 or it might have been 2011. I remember on New Years Eve 2011 (end of 2010), me and my friends were walking around Downtown Toronto and one of my friends passed by a trans person and said "Yoooooo did you see that? No way. There was a guy wearing a wig and high heels. Did you see it?" and they jumped back into the crowd in search of this "freak of nature". Thankfully they didn't find her.

There was also that Family Guy episode centred on a transgender character that aired in 2010. Watch and be disgusted  8-P It's just an absolutely cruel portrayal, but this is the kind of sh*t that was on the public airwaves. Maury Povich also aired a segment called "Man or Woman?" in 2009 or 2010 where there's a game show out of guessing whether a person is a "man" (transgender woman) or a woman. I remember my cousin (the same who made the transphobic comments) trying to catch every episode of that. Its funny because in 2016, we were watching Cheaters and one of the mistresses was genderqueer in some way, and the camera man said "What is that? Is it a man or a woman? You're sleeping with a transvestite? What are you?" and my cousin shook his head and said "that's so homophobic ". I remember him sitting on the same couch and having an entirely different attitude just 6 years prior.

Writing out this post makes me realize just how far we come. In many ways, the 2010s  really are the most transformative decade since the 1960s. We came in from one world and went out another. :o

Edit: I also remember a gross rumour about Lady Gaga actually being a man, that was making the rounds in 2009/2010. I actually believed in it.  :-[

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/09/18 at 3:57 pm

I would do my best to remember the result for sporting events and head straight to a bookmakers to earn a fortune...

Written By: bchris02 on 01/09/18 at 4:52 pm

I think LGBT acceptance still had a long way to go in 2010. I remember there was a kid in the lower grades who was into Lady Gaga and fashion, and the gossip about him at school was brutal. I don't know if he got roughed up like I did but I wouldn't be surprised. I remember when my teacher brought in free candy and he had a lot of spare left, he asked if anyone wanted more  and a girl said "Oh I'll take some for my girlfriend". Then and there the class fell radio silent and people were giving each other weird looks and even the teacher looked confused. LGBT visibility was not as high back then even if attitudes were starting to become more tolerant.

For transgender people it was way worse in 2010, no question about it. It wasn't at my school, but I remember walking in the mall late at night with my cousin and he was talking to me about how there's this freaky tranny at his school. "One day he was a weird quiet guy and the next day he came in a skirt and thought he was a girl. It was so f*cked up" is roughly what I remember him saying. I think that was around Christmas 2010 or it might have been 2011. I remember on New Years Eve 2011 (end of 2010), me and my friends were walking around Downtown Toronto and one of my friends passed by a trans person and said "Yoooooo did you see that? No way. There was a guy wearing a wig and high heels. Did you see it?" and they jumped back into the crowd in search of this "freak of nature". Thankfully they didn't find her.

There was also that Family Guy episode centred on a transgender character that aired in 2010. Watch and be disgusted  8-P It's just an absolutely cruel portrayal, but this is the kind of sh*t that was on the public airwaves. Maury Povich also aired a segment called "Man or Woman?" in 2009 or 2010 where there's a game show out of guessing whether a person is a "man" (transgender woman) or a woman. I remember my cousin (the same who made the transphobic comments) trying to catch every episode of that. Its funny because in 2016, we were watching Cheaters and one of the mistresses was genderqueer in some way, and the camera man said "What is that? Is it a man or a woman? You're sleeping with a transvestite? What are you?" and my cousin shook his head and said "that's so homophobic ". I remember him sitting on the same couch and having an entirely different attitude just 6 years prior.

Writing out this post makes me realize just how far we come. In many ways, the 2010s  really are the most transformative decade since the 1960s. We came in from one world and went out another. :o

Edit: I also remember a gross rumour about Lady Gaga actually being a man, that was making the rounds in 2009/2010. I actually believed in it.  :-[

Excellent points here.  Come to think of it, society as a whole in 2010 was significantly more homophobic.

I think in terms of LGBT rights, increased visibility has led to greater backlash especially in conservative societies.  However, the overall trend is far more accepting.  Sometimes it's difficult to see that given my own personal circumstances but I envy kids growing up today who are actually able to come out in high school or their twenties and find acceptance.  I remember when I was 24 I had my car vandalized twice.  That was in 2009 going into 2010.  I had forgotten about that until this conversation which reminded me of it.  Today you actually are in the minority if you are against gay marriage, though it doesn't always seem that way since the anti-gay people are as loud as ever.  I believe in 2010, public opinion was still overall against gay marriage even if it was trending more accepting.

In terms of transgender acceptance, I really didn't start seeing/hearing about transgender people until Caitlyn Jenner came out in 2015.  Of course by that point I was back in my conservative town and back in the closet and not really around people in which gender identity issues would be discussed.  Back when I was 24 and I used to hang out in gay bars, I never really knew anybody who was trans other than drag queens (and drag queens are are typically cisgender crossdressers as far as I know and not actually trans.  Correct me if I'm wrong). 

I'll have to check out that Family Guy episode you speak of.  I do know homophobic/transphobic content was much more prevalent in entertainment back then.  Last summer I watched Superbad for the first time in years and I was surprised by the homophobic language, especially considering how recent that movie was and how relevant it is to Millennial culture. 

I don't know if I could consider this decade as transformative as the 1960s.  To me it's been more like a boomerang decade.  Culture went far to the left but has now shifted hard to the right and the decade seems like its trying to end where it began.  Our current government is trying to roll back as much of this decade's social progress as it possibly can.  They are currently even going after legal marijuana (though that doesn't really affect me since in my area its not legal and won't be for several more decades if ever).  It's angering.  However, the situation is probably different up in Canada than it is down here in Trump country culturally.

Written By: Milk on 01/09/18 at 7:05 pm

Excellent points here.  Come to think of it, society as a whole in 2010 was significantly more homophobic.

I think in terms of LGBT rights, increased visibility has led to greater backlash especially in conservative societies.  However, the overall trend is far more accepting.  Sometimes it's difficult to see that given my own personal circumstances but I envy kids growing up today who are actually able to come out in high school or their twenties and find acceptance.  I remember when I was 24 I had my car vandalized twice.  That was in 2009 going into 2010.  I had forgotten about that until this conversation which reminded me of it.  Today you actually are in the minority if you are against gay marriage, though it doesn't always seem that way since the anti-gay people are as loud as ever.  I believe in 2010, public opinion was still overall against gay marriage even if it was trending more accepting.

In terms of transgender acceptance, I really didn't start seeing/hearing about transgender people until Caitlyn Jenner came out in 2015.  Of course by that point I was back in my conservative town and back in the closet and not really around people in which gender identity issues would be discussed.  Back when I was 24 and I used to hang out in gay bars, I never really knew anybody who was trans other than drag queens (and drag queens are are typically cisgender crossdressers as far as I know and not actually trans.  Correct me if I'm wrong). 

I'll have to check out that Family Guy episode you speak of.  I do know homophobic/transphobic content was much more prevalent in entertainment back then.  Last summer I watched Superbad for the first time in years and I was surprised by the homophobic language, especially considering how recent that movie was and how relevant it is to Millennial culture. 

I don't know if I could consider this decade as transformative as the 1960s.  To me it's been more like a boomerang decade.  Culture went far to the left but has now shifted hard to the right and the decade seems like its trying to end where it began.  Our current government is trying to roll back as much of this decade's social progress as it possibly can.  They are currently even going after legal marijuana (though that doesn't really affect me since in my area its not legal and won't be for several more decades if ever).  It's angering.  However, the situation is probably different up in Canada than it is down here in Trump country culturally.

I definitely do think we're shifting the pendulum back now to a more conservative culture

Written By: ofkx on 01/09/18 at 10:38 pm

I would find my barely alive Nintendo DS next to my bed. The top screen was hanging by a few wires. Honestly, I'm surprised that it even made it to 2010, when my younger cousin broke it. I miss it :\'(.

Written By: Wobo on 01/10/18 at 4:17 am

I would wake up as a 6 year old in my kiddie bed if it was a school day then I would wake up going to elementary school again going to the bus stop every morning near my apartment (I remember always walking to the bus stop every morning as a 6 year old) with either my Mom or my Brother who is 13 in 2010 then i would hangout with my friends like I did back in kindergarten then I would ride my school bus back home possibly crying about leaving school. :o
Also i would be confused of how I got smaller since I was really short as a 6 year old also then i would probably not realise that it's 2010 as a 6 year old

And now that I think of it i actually sometimes miss being a 6 year old always having coloring books and papers because I liked to draw
I also had an poster thing I drew when I was in 1st grade.

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/10/18 at 7:24 am

Ouch, that sucks. Do you think it might be your employer? Or are you self-employed as a lawyer?  I think I would hate my job if it wasn't in such a supportive environment.

At my job in 2010, my manager would take advantage of my natural inclination to be harmonious/non-confrontational. Good grief, nag nag nag. Everything's an argument. That's a memory from 2010/2011 I've been supressing.  :(

It's not (just) the employer because at this point I've worked at half a dozen law firms, between my law school internships and actually being out as a licensed attorney. The summer internships were fine because they ended with the beginning of school, but increasingly I'm finding that I'm just not happy in this profession - too much work, too many hours for not enough pay. And I also hate conflict, which leads to me not enjoying litigation at all.

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/10/18 at 11:02 am

I'd be happy. It'd probably need to come with an exchange, I may not like anymore. I don't want to go back and then, lose my inspirations and break through of social anxiety.

I'd want to wake up in 2010 for everything else though.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 01/10/18 at 1:11 pm

I would realize I'm not registered on Facebook or Instagram. I would check Facebook and see that it looks totally different and feels different too.
I would have a best friend again!
I would be younger and slightly more awkward. ;D
I would be just about to join a choir.
I would be about to enter the best year of my life.
I would be healthier and happier.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/10/18 at 2:09 pm

I would honestly be upset. Don't get me wrong, I loved 2010 as it was ongoing and it would be cool to see my high school friends in one place again, but I can't live without the friends I made at university and I love my current job a lot more. Going back to 2010 would be a huge downgrade, like going from Windows 10 to Windows 98 or something haha. Being 24/25 beats being 17 any day of the week.

Based on what you have written. You just got over a dark period in your life. Makes sense that you were still healing, and raw, from the mid to late 00's period of your life.  :o

Written By: Howard on 01/10/18 at 2:48 pm

I would still have a PS2 and a flip phone.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/10/18 at 6:52 pm

For me, a little bit different. Some noticeable stuff wouldn't be there. But for the most part, it wouldn't be a radical different world.

Written By: Emman on 01/10/18 at 8:16 pm

I honestly won't feel that different, I was already an adult back then, the only difference being I had a mustache(cut it off last year) and my hair wasn't balding as much, but that's for my personal life. Sociopolitical change has been incredible over the course of this decade, there was a lot less racial tension/Ferguson style riots, open white sepratist movements in the mainstream, and SJWs back then.

Written By: 2001 on 01/10/18 at 9:33 pm

God damn, that's messed up. :(

I'm with you on being envious of teens how can come out to their friends today.

You're right about most people being against SSM in 2010. In 2010 in the US, 42% of people were in favour of gay marriage while 48% opposed it (that was a huge improvement over 2009). In 2017, 62% were in favour and 32% opposed it. (http://www.pewforum.org/fact-sheet/changing-attitudes-on-gay-marriage/)

I think it can be hard to forget that Trump didn't win the popular vote and most Americans do not support him or his policies. But since you're actually down there you probably know more about the social culture than I do. I just hope this nightmare comes to an end soon starting with a Dem wave at the end of this year  8-P

Written By: 2001 on 01/10/18 at 9:47 pm

I would find my barely alive Nintendo DS next to my bed. The top screen was hanging by a few wires. Honestly, I'm surprised that it even made it to 2010, when my younger cousin broke it. I miss it :\'(.

Those things were so cheap (price). I bought 3 DSs (one broke), 5 if you count my two 3DS's backwards compatibility ;D

If you pull the DS too far back, the hinge gets loose and it falls off. I broke my first DS that way.

It's not (just) the employer because at this point I've worked at half a dozen law firms, between my law school internships and actually being out as a licensed attorney. The summer internships were fine because they ended with the beginning of school, but increasingly I'm finding that I'm just not happy in this profession - too much work, too many hours for not enough pay. And I also hate conflict, which leads to me not enjoying litigation at all.

I'm surprised you don't get paid much as a lawyer. What kind of attorney are you?

It must suck to go through all the time and expenses of law school only to hate your job. You are still young though, are you thinking about a career change?

Written By: 2001 on 01/10/18 at 9:52 pm

Based on what you have written. You just got over a dark period in your life. Makes sense that you were still healing, and raw, from the mid to late 00's period of your life.  :o

It wasn't too bad, actually. I was still getting over my social anxiety and had poor social skills after barely having friends for 6 years, but my depression was ancient history.

Despite my social anxiety I was quite popular at school. In 2009ish, the whole nerd/geek/hipster culture took off and being a bit of a dork and socially awkward was an asset. I was exhibit A for everything that became 'cool' all of a sudden. Even if I was too shy to approach other people, other people came up to me and I made a lot of friends. ;D

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/11/18 at 8:31 am

I'm surprised you don't get paid much as a lawyer. What kind of attorney are you?

It must suck to go through all the time and expenses of law school only to hate your job. You are still young though, are you thinking about a career change?

Yes, that feeling certainly does suck, but I'm happy to say I don't have an overwhelming amount of student debt (thank my lucky privileged stars).

The main reason I don't get paid a lot is I'm not working in one of those high-powered mega firms you hear about, where the lawyers really have no life outside their jobs. I have friends like that, who are working 80-90 hour weeks (one friend of mine recently showed me a time record where he billed 17 hours in one day), but on the other hand are getting paid as much as five times what I am, at a minimum six figures per year whereas I've never made more than five figures. Also though I happen to think their clients are evil, so I wasn't about to do that.

Anyway, if I were to go back to 2010, I would tell my parents to piss off with the whole "finding a major that will make you money" thing, and I would've stuck to my guns: creative writing. I couldn't have known then that careers for writers were actually going to legitimately take off in the '10s, from blogging and copywriting to technical writing and grant drafting. I chose pre-law because it seemed like the safe choice at the time.

Oh right, and to answer your question, this past week I have been researching career counselors in my local area. I think within a year or two, depending on whether I end up seeing someone and what they say, I'm gonna try to get my ass outta law. The nice thing about the time and expense of law school is that the piece of paper that graduated me holds some weight in other industries and professions, especially those that lean on writing.

Written By: wixness on 01/11/18 at 1:04 pm

Be desperately emo before it goes out of fashion. Increase my influence online, maybe? Hoard stuff from online that I won't want to see taken down.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/11/18 at 3:11 pm

If it were in the reverse, I would have woken up in 2018, and been in a better place.  ::)  ::)  ::)

Written By: Slim95 on 01/11/18 at 8:46 pm

I would look in the mirror and notice how much younger I look and how smooth my skin looked.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/12/18 at 12:12 am

I would look in the mirror and notice how much younger I look and how smooth my skin looked.

;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/12/18 at 7:20 am

Well, that's the sign of getting older.

Written By: christopher on 01/12/18 at 7:40 am

I would say to my 2010 self: Don't study/try too hard, you have better results when you care less and push yourself less. Life is not about work and studying. Avoid the news and try to cope with your Internet addiction. Don't rush and push yourself, not everyone has the energy needed for living in a hectic pace, take your time and walk slowly! You'll have a burnout at age 24 if you continue this fast pace living (why is everyone in a rush these days? life's about savouring the moment).

My personal life was worse (was a virgin and had 0 friends), depression/anxiety was way worse which led to my burnout in 2012. I'm aging like wine. :) However I was just 22 (I'm almost 30... I feel like I have to settle down, yet I want to live for fun as I was too serious in my teens and 20s!).
I miss the old versions of Android, especially Samsungs, the TouchWiz is just not the same, I miss the 3D buttons and graphics GUI still had back then.

Pop music/radio was wayyy better and I like the look of late 2000s/early 2010s cars better than the current debuts.

Pop culture was better - I didn't stumble on so much bigotry online and SJW blogs or far right crazies. ;)

Written By: Howard on 01/12/18 at 3:43 pm

What if you went to bed in 2010 and woke up in 2018?

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/12/18 at 4:08 pm

What if you went to bed in 2010 and woke up in 2018?

If I went to bed in 2010 and woke up in 2018:

- I would look in the mirror and notice that I am way taller and I look more different.
- I would wonder why I have two pets when we didn't even have a pet until Christmas 2010, and even then we only got one.
- I would no longer be attending elementary school. I would have thought that my high school was very big.
- I would notice that iPhones have been getting bigger and faster
- My room would be much messier and I would wonder where my dolls went
- I would notice that music has changed a lot. Hip-hop would no longer have that late 2000's / early 2010's sound to it, same with most other music genres.
- I would notice that people seem to be more accepting of gays
- I would notice that my sister looks a lot different. She would no longer be a 13-year-old teenager, she'd be a 21-year-old adult.
- My house would look different. Me and my sister's bathroom would be painted a different color, and my sister's room would no longer be pink, but it'd still be messy.
- I would have more friends. I've met many friends between 2010-2017 and I still talk to them today.

Written By: 2001 on 01/12/18 at 10:59 pm

Yes, that feeling certainly does suck, but I'm happy to say I don't have an overwhelming amount of student debt (thank my lucky privileged stars).

The main reason I don't get paid a lot is I'm not working in one of those high-powered mega firms you hear about, where the lawyers really have no life outside their jobs. I have friends like that, who are working 80-90 hour weeks (one friend of mine recently showed me a time record where he billed 17 hours in one day), but on the other hand are getting paid as much as five times what I am, at a minimum six figures per year whereas I've never made more than five figures. Also though I happen to think their clients are evil, so I wasn't about to do that.

Anyway, if I were to go back to 2010, I would tell my parents to piss off with the whole "finding a major that will make you money" thing, and I would've stuck to my guns: creative writing. I couldn't have known then that careers for writers were actually going to legitimately take off in the '10s, from blogging and copywriting to technical writing and grant drafting. I chose pre-law because it seemed like the safe choice at the time.

Oh right, and to answer your question, this past week I have been researching career counselors in my local area. I think within a year or two, depending on whether I end up seeing someone and what they say, I'm gonna try to get my ass outta law. The nice thing about the time and expense of law school is that the piece of paper that graduated me holds some weight in other industries and professions, especially those that lean on writing.

I really like your writing style, it's something I notice in some inthe00s members. I wish I could write that well, but I usually type as I think ;D I think you'd do well in that field.

I think it was the Great Recession back then that made elders push us towards more well-paying professions. I wanted to be a graphics designer back then, but my parents pressured me to become a medical doctor and to "look at all the unemployed people out there right now who 'followed their dreams' and are miserable" etc. I listened to them at first but thankfully I found a natural interest in another well-paying field that satisfied them.

Written By: 2001 on 01/12/18 at 11:01 pm

At 15 I had pizza face.

At 17 I still had some pimples but my mom bought me this banned German face cream that made my skin glow and had the ladies chasing after me.

At 18/19 I got a proper skin care routine (because what gay doesn't), and my skin was porcelain that year and at 20. I've fallen on and off the wagon in applying it diligently, but I've been doing it again for the past 3 months. Sometimes I pass the mirror and am shocked at how young I still look, but there's still hyperpigmentation and discoloration on my face from the old pimples.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/12/18 at 11:12 pm

At 15 I had pizza face.

At 17 I still had some pimples but my mom bought me this banned German face cream that made my skin glow and had the ladies chasing after me.

At 18/19 I got a proper skin care routine (because what gay doesn't), and my skin was porcelain that year and at 20. I've fallen on and off the wagon in applying it diligently, but I've been doing it again for the past 3 months. Sometimes I pass the mirror and am shocked at how young I still look, but there's still hyperpigmentation and discoloration on my face from the old pimples.

I was lucky as a teen in the acne department (thanks dad). Both my siblings weren't though. My skin isn't as smooth anymore and I got a couple blemishes throughout my early 20s. I still look fairly young but I think I looked a lot younger when I was 15.

Written By: 2001 on 01/12/18 at 11:20 pm

I was lucky as a teen in the acne department (thanks dad). Both my siblings weren't though. My skin isn't as smooth anymore and I got a couple blemishes throughout my early 20s. I still look fairly young but I think I looked a lot younger when I was 15.

Do you put on sunscreen when you go out? I've been applying it religiously since 16 (even on cloudy days) and my skin has barely aged since then. ;)

Written By: Slim95 on 01/12/18 at 11:26 pm

Do you put on sunscreen when you go out? I've been applying it religiously since 16 (even on cloudy days) and my skin has barely aged since then. ;)

Not so much, that's probably how I screwed it up.  ;D I've been going outside in the sun a lot in the summer. I'm gonna try to put more sunscreen or not go out as often in future summers.

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/13/18 at 4:55 am

I really like your writing style, it's something I notice in some inthe00s members. I wish I could write that well, but I usually type as I think ;D I think you'd do well in that field.

I think it was the Great Recession back then that made elders push us towards more well-paying professions. I wanted to be a graphics designer back then, but my parents pressured me to become a medical doctor and to "look at all the unemployed people out there right now who 'followed their dreams' and are miserable" etc. I listened to them at first but thankfully I found a natural interest in another well-paying field that satisfied them.

Oh, thank you! Out of curiosity, what field did you land in?

Written By: christopher on 01/13/18 at 7:25 am

Wow, I can relate to both of you! Also went the "profitable career" path. Which in fact is not even that profitable as in reality it's just a clerical job. As a result I have had several nervous breakdowns on my current job (a procurement clerk).
I hate Excel tables, I hate analyzing data and working with too much with numbers. I always loved the words, sports and arts more than maths and accounting. I dislike the too rational personalities that such jobs attract (I don't want to offend but as a Feeler on the Myers-Briggs it hurts!). it's like people that are good in those jobs lack empathy as I've seen so much backstabbing, it's terrible.

I first started with a data entry job. It was boring but since the business was small, the tempo was relaxed. I really like sales, real estate and creative/content/copywriting much more than those administrative, data analyst or clerical things. However these days many dreary call center jobs pose as sales position offerings. ;)

I'd rather not have an open office if given a choice (or only with like 4-5 people) but I imagined working in a open office would be like:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/influencive.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/28212733/openfloor.jpg

Yet all those big corporations can offer is this, so maybe I'm just looking at the wrong places. This looks depressing:
http://www.trcpodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Work-004.jpg

THAT'S IT! Wake up call! I'm going the PR, advertising, startups, creative/copywriting route from now on where offices really often look as cozy as the first pic and you don't have 50-100 drone workers on a gray floor but up to 20-25 max.

Written By: Howard on 01/13/18 at 2:21 pm

As a teen growing up I used to have so many pimples and now I'm in my 40's I try to moisturize as much as I can.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/07/18 at 10:33 pm

So this thread is like the movie "Hot Tub Time Machine" where you not only go back in time but also the age you were? In that case I would be in my early 30's and happily single, but knowing what I know now, I might have spent a lot more time getting to know the one who eventually became my ex-fiance. If things got more serious sooner, who knows what would have happened. But maybe it's better not to think like that.

Written By: superblyexhausted on 02/08/18 at 11:57 pm

The amount of social and legal process made by the LGBT community since 2010 has been astounding. I vividly remember being in middle school at the start of the decade, slowly realizing I was gay, in the midst of a heated political debate on whether or not people like me should be able to get married. The degree to which marriage equality has become a non-issue among Americans at large is refreshing. I hope we can see similar progress for transgender rights in the coming years.

Check for new replies or respond here...