inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Adolescence now lasts until the age of 24, say scientists

Written By: 2001 on 01/19/18 at 8:01 am

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-42732442

Adolescence now lasts from the ages of 10 to 24, although it used to be thought to end at 19, scientists say.

Young people continuing their education for longer, as well as delayed marriage and parenthood, has pushed back popular perceptions of when adulthood begins.

Changing the definition is vital to ensure laws stay appropriate, they write in an opinion piece in the Lancet Child & Adolescent Health journal

----

Wow I've retroactively become an adolescent again! One more month until my childhood is officially over ;D

Subject: Re: Adolescence now lasts until the age of 24, say scientists

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/19/18 at 8:27 am

I like this. I wasn't 24 that long ago.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/19/18 at 9:09 am

I usually think adolescence ends around 18/19 too. 24? Must be the easy lifestyles we live today.  :o

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/19/18 at 9:45 am

How? Biologically? Due to some chemicals we consume? Just because we don't leave the house sooner. This makes no sense to me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/18 at 9:48 am

How? Biologically? Due to some chemicals we consume? Just because we don't leave the house sooner. This makes no sense to me.
You never know what is in the food you eat, and for some it is hard to a get a property of your own to move from home, properties are expensive in London.

Written By: ofkx on 01/19/18 at 11:04 am

Yeah, no. There's no such thing as a 24 year old teenager.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/18 at 11:27 am

There can still be a 24 year old that acts like a teenager?

Written By: ofkx on 01/19/18 at 12:27 pm

There can still be a 24 year old that acts like a teenager?

So? There’s 13 year olds that act like 30 year olds. That doesn’t make them adults.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/18 at 12:29 pm

So? There’s 13 year olds that act like 30 year olds. That doesn’t make them adults.
True!

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/19/18 at 12:48 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24173194

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/19/18 at 1:37 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24173194
FTFY

Written By: Howard on 01/19/18 at 1:40 pm

I like this. I wasn't 24 that long ago.

I was 24, 20 years ago.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/19/18 at 1:41 pm

I'm not sure if this topic is relevant to this thread, but I'll go ahead and link it down below. I may have talked about the same thing nearly 2 weeks ago.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56864.0

Written By: Howard on 01/19/18 at 1:42 pm

You only act your age.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/19/18 at 1:42 pm

Looks like my adolescence won’t be over until June 3rd, 2027.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/19/18 at 1:53 pm

FTFY

haha. Thanks.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/19/18 at 1:56 pm

haha. Thanks.
You're welcome :)

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/19/18 at 2:08 pm

I wouldn't consider 24 to be "adolescence", but it's definitely still young adulthood. People constantly use adolescence and young adulthood interchangeably, and I'm getting a bit annoyed by it. From my understanding, adolescence refers to your teen years. So, depending on your start/finish ages for adolescence this could range from 13-17, 13-19, 11-17, or even 11-19. I'm more inclined to include ages 18-19 with young adulthood, or maybe 18-20 could be a transition between adolescence and adulthood. Young adulthood on the other hand is very debatable. No one has really provided a clear-cut definition of what a "young adult" is. One this is for sure, though. 24 is definitely a young adult. As someone who is 24 years old right now, it would be silly to lump me with kids who are still in compulsory education. However it is JUST AS ridiculous to lump me with people who are old enough to have a family.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 01/19/18 at 2:41 pm

You do realise, an adolescent doesn't always equal a teenager.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/19/18 at 3:11 pm

I wouldn't consider 24 to be "adolescence", but it's definitely still young adulthood. People constantly use adolescence and young adulthood interchangeably, and I'm getting a bit annoyed by it. From my understanding, adolescence refers to your teen years. So, depending on your start/finish ages for adolescence this could range from 13-17, 13-19, 11-17, or even 11-19. I'm more inclined to include ages 18-19 with young adulthood, or maybe 18-20 could be a transition between adolescence and adulthood. Young adulthood on the other hand is very debatable. No one has really provided a clear-cut definition of what a "young adult" is. One this is for sure, though. 24 is definitely a young adult. As someone who is 24 years old right now, it would be silly to lump me with kids who are still in compulsory education. However it is JUST AS ridiculous to lump me with people who are old enough to have a family.

I consider 18-29 year-olds to be "young adults."

As for 24 being old enough to have a family, a lot of it depends on where you live.  In my rural area, it's very unusual to not be married with a kid on the way by the time you can drink alcohol.  24-year olds are typically homeowners.  This phenomenon of "extended adolescence" doesn't exist here.  This was a huge culture shock when I moved back here at 26.  In the big city I was still a young adult but here, I was expected to have a family and people thought it was odd that I did not.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/19/18 at 3:46 pm

You do realise, an adolescent doesn't always equal a teenager.

This. People tend to confuse the words for each other. A teenager is just anyone between the ages of 13-19. However, adolescence is the actual development period from child to adult.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 01/19/18 at 5:06 pm

This. People tend to confuse the words for each other. A teenager is just anyone between the ages of 13-19. However, adolescence is the actual development period from child to adult.

Exactly, I think anyone from the age of 10-24 is in this awkward transitional phase and it takes a really long time (obviously).

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/19/18 at 5:10 pm

I consider 18-29 year-olds to be "young adults."

I do not agree. I know it sounds like semantics, but 18-29 year olds are not "young adults", they are adults who are young. I think it needs to be made clear that "young adult" was never meant to be a term for adults who are young, but it was kind of a made up euphemism for teenagers.  The meaning of it now seems to be getting blurry.

As for adolescence extending to 24, I think what should actually be said is that the adolescent LIFESTYLE has now extended to 24, or even way beyond 24 if you ask me. Chronological adolescence itself has not changed, but there is definitely now an "extended adolescence".  In previous eras, including the 60s and 70s, college students basically considered themselves adults. Colleges now almost seem like big babysiting operations.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/19/18 at 9:47 pm

I do not agree. I know it sounds like semantics, but 18-29 year olds are not "young adults", they are adults who are young. I think it needs to be made clear that "young adult" was never meant to be a term for adults who are young, but it was kind of a made up euphemism for teenagers.  The meaning of it now seems to be getting blurry.

As for adolescence extending to 24, I think what should actually be said is that the adolescent LIFESTYLE has now extended to 24, or even way beyond 24 if you ask me. Chronological adolescence itself has not changed, but there is definitely now an "extended adolescence".  In previous eras, including the 60s and 70s, college students basically considered themselves adults. Colleges now almost seem like big babysiting operations.

Perhaps that was definition of a young adult in YOUR own personal life/environment. However, the fact is that there hasn't been a generally agreed upon definition of "young adult". You claim that "young adult" was a euphemism for teenager, yet you have no proof of that being a universal belief. You're really just projecting your own personal ideas and experiences, and acting as if they are objective facts.

As I mentioned before, I consider myself a young adult, but not an adolescent. The two DON'T have to be synonymous. I have one question for you. As a 24 year old, am I closer to a 14 year old schoolboy or a 34 year old father? The answer is simple, I'm right in the middle. I'm long past my compulsory school years, but I still have a long while before I start a family/have kids. Not to mention all these age expectations/milestones can be pretty arbitrary.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/19/18 at 9:53 pm

Perhaps that was definition of a young adult in YOUR own personal life/environment. However, the fact is that there hasn't been a generally agreed upon definition of "young adult". You claim that "young adult" was a euphemism for teenager, yet you have no proof of that being a universal belief. You're really just projecting your own personal ideas and experiences, and acting as if they are objective facts.

As I mentioned before, I consider myself a young adult, but not an adolescent. The two DON'T have to be synonymous. I have one question for you. As a 24 year old, am I closer to a 14 year old schoolboy or a 34 year old father? The answer is simple, I'm right in the middle. I'm long past my compulsory school years, but I still have a long while before I start a family/have kids. Not to mention all these age expectations/milestones can be pretty arbitrary.

haha. According to the rest of the world, this stage is supposed to happen before you hit 30. That's not long at all. You'll be 30 before you know it.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/19/18 at 10:05 pm

Makes sense. They say the brain doesn't fully develop until age 25. That's one of the reasons they were talking about wanting to make marijuana illegal for those under 25. I'm totally fine with this, makes me feel young.  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 01/19/18 at 10:05 pm

I wonder if it's a generational thing. I saw a 2002 interview with Maya Angelou. She grew up in another time. She used the word 'young adult' for 13/14 year olds already. She definitely grew up in another time. 13/14 years old is very young now, but 13/14 years old back then was the equivalent of a 16/17 year old now.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/19/18 at 10:12 pm

Oh, I think there is a "universally agreed upon" definition. It's called a dictionary. I think we can agree that dictionaries present "objective facts".

Dictionary.com defines "young adult" as follows:

noun
a teenager (used especially by publishers and librarians).

a person in the early years of adulthood.

Google dictionary defines young adult as follows:

noun
a person in their teens or early twenties.

adjective
denoting or relating to fiction, films, television programs, etc., intended or suitable for adolescents, especially those in their mid to late teens.

Written By: 2001 on 01/19/18 at 10:18 pm

Biologically, there are still changes being made to the brain until the mid-20s. But mostly, yes, nowadays most people in their early 20s are still working on their education and rely on their parents.

It feels so weird to me that my mom was pregnant with me at 25 (the age I am now almost) :o But my dad was 34, that's who'll I'll be comparing myself to ;D

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/19/18 at 11:51 pm

Oh, I think there is a "universally agreed upon" definition. It's called a dictionary. I think we can agree that dictionaries present "objective facts".

Dictionary.com defines "young adult" as follows:

noun
a teenager (used especially by publishers and librarians).

a person in the early years of adulthood.

Google dictionary defines young adult as follows:

noun
a person in their teens or early twenties.

adjective
denoting or relating to fiction, films, television programs, etc., intended or suitable for adolescents, especially those in their mid to late teens.

So? Dictionary definitions vary: http://www.yourdictionary.com/young-adult

According to this dictionary a young adult is:

plural young adults)
•A person who has achieved sexual maturity but whose character and personality are still developing as they gain experience

Usage notes
•This is a nebulous concept and no fixed ages can be sensibly assigned to the term.
•However . . .•in psychology, an age-range of 18 to 40 is sometimes quoted.
•in publishing, young-adult fiction is aimed at adolescents with an age-range of 12 to 18.

As you can see, the term can vary depending on the context. You seem to be going by the "young adult fiction" definition. Either way, it doesn't change my main point that I am no more closer to a 34 year old man than I am to a 14 year old boy.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/19/18 at 11:57 pm

...I know it sounds like semantics, but 18-29 year olds are not "young adults", they are adults who are young...

...In previous eras, including the 60s and 70s, college students basically considered themselves adults. Colleges now almost seem like big babysiting operations.

I come from close to the same timeframe/generation.  IMO the "young adult" term was then used toward certain ages, including high schoolers, but had a connotation of a level of maturity.  In the 70's when I was in high school, it wasn't that unusual for peers to get engaged, move out of the parents' house, and/or hold down serious jobs.  And those headed to college (like me) looked upon it as really growing up.  Don't get me wrong - back then some of us (like me) stayed in college a little too long, some of us bombed out and had to call the parents for a leg up, some of us didn't hit the high marks that we aimed at.  But then again, at 18 or so we all knew we were grown-ups, ready to take on the world.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/20/18 at 12:22 am

plural young adults)
•A person who has achieved sexual maturity but whose character and personality are still developing as they gain experience

Usage notes
•This is a nebulous concept and no fixed ages can be sensibly assigned to the term.
•in publishing, young-adult fiction is aimed at adolescents with an age-range of 12 to 18.

As you can see, the term can vary depending on the context. You seem to be going by the "young adult fiction" definition. Either way, it doesn't change my main point that I am no more closer to a 34 year old man than I am to a 14 year old boy.

Part of my issue is that far too many people, judging from this thread anyway, seem to be using/abusing the "young adult" term as part of this "extended adolescence" thing we have discussed here, and which I hold somewhat in disdain. In my opinion nobody over 22 (and even that's pushing it) should EVER be calling themselves a "young adult", even though they are adults who are young. It seems like a cop out (as we used to say). It's being used as an excuse to delay growing up or feeling "old". I'm not saying one should not be childlike. In fact one should aspire to ALWAYS be childlike, to have that sense of wonder, that sense of openness. But to be CHILDISH is not desirable. And it seems to me that the whole "extended adolescence" thing is an excuse for being childish. At the risk of generalizing, I thought Millennials were particularly guilty of this.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/20/18 at 12:25 am

Part of my issue is that far too many people, judging from this thread anyway, seem to be using/abusing the "young adult" term as part of this "extended adolescence" thing we have discussed here, and which I hold somewhat in disdain. In my opinion nobody over 22 (and even that's pushing it) should EVER be calling themselves a "young adult", even though they are adults who are young. It seems like a cop out (as we used to say). It's being used as an excuse to delay growing up or feeling "old". I'm not saying one should not be childlike. In fact one should aspire to ALWAYS be childlike, to have that sense of wonder, that sense of openness. But to be CHILDISH is not desirable. And it seems to me that the whole "extended adolescence" thing is an excuse for being childish. At the risk of generalizing, I thought Millennials were particularly guilty of this.

Hey!  >:( 23 for not even a month and I already feel old and no longer a young adult thanks to this post.  :(

Anyways I do still feel like a young adult at least for a little bit. Once I hit my mid to late 20s I will then not be a young adult. I think this goes for mostly everyone. I mean early 20s is still being a young adult for sure, imo.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 01/20/18 at 12:55 am

Hey!  >:( 23 for not even a month and I already feel old and no longer a young adult thanks to this post.  :(

Anyways I do still feel like a young adult at least for a little bit. Once I hit my mid to late 20s I will then not be a young adult. I think this goes for mostly everyone. I mean early 20s is still being a young adult for sure, imo.

Because it's actually true, once you get past 22 is when you really start getting old

Written By: Slim95 on 01/20/18 at 12:56 am

Because it's actually true, once you get past 22 is when you really start getting old

Lol no, I don't think being past 22 is "old". It also depends on the person. You may think that once you get past 22 you are old, but trust me when you are 23 you will feel barely different than when you were 18... There is very little difference with my 23 year old self and 18 year old self. Being 23 is in no way considered "old". You are still a young adult and your brain isn't even fully developed yet. How can a non-fully developed brain be considered old even from an objective standpoint?

Written By: Longaotian00 on 01/20/18 at 1:01 am

Lol no, I don't think being past 22 is "old". It also depends on the person. You may think that once you get past 22 you are old, but trust me when you are 23 you will feel barely different than when you were 18... There is very little difference with my 23 year old self and 18 year old self. Being 23 is in no way considered "old". You are still a young adult and your brain isn't even fully developed yet. How can a non-fully developed brain be considered old even from an objective standpoint?

When I get to 23 I will probably change my opinion, however my sister who is turning 24 says her 18 year old self is still quite different from now as she was only just starting university then.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/20/18 at 1:05 am

No, you are NOT old when you are past 22. That's just my point. But I know how easy it is to FEEL old at that point even though it is the furthest thing from the truth, and I was trying to say THAT is what may be generating the "extended adolescence" phenomenon or the "I'm still a young adult at 25" phenomenon. Also, the most useless thing in the world is for a MUCH older person to say to someone 24 or so who says "man, I'm so OLD..." is "I wish I was your age! You're not old! One day you'll wish you were this age again". Not only does it sound patronizing, but there is no way a 24 year old can really know what it's like to be 50 and looking back at 24. The human brain simply cannot work that way. So such comments are completely irrelevant and come off as such and the old person always looks ridiculous to the younger person for saying it.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/20/18 at 1:23 am

plural young adults)

Usage notes

The only definition that is different is age 18 to 40.

Written By: Emman on 01/20/18 at 1:47 am

23 is very young, that's still part of the college demographic but when I was 23 I felt quite different from age 18 but that's because you're changing more when you're younger anyway. I don't feel that different from 5 years ago but that's because adulthood(I'm in my 30s) has more continuity than childhood or the teenage years.

The frontal lobe maturation at age 25 thing is like an average, there will be many people who finish this process at age 22 or 23 and others who finish at 27, 28, as long as you're a few years within that range you're likely basically there.

Written By: mjstudios97 on 01/20/18 at 6:00 am

I find it kind of ridiculous that people correlate having children to being mature and responsible.

A girl in my class got pregnant in seventh grade at 12 years old.

12! She wasn't even a teenager yet! She may have been physically mature to create a child, but she was far from being ready to take on parenthood.

We're only 20 now, and she already has a son that's turning 8.  ;)

A few women in my class are expectant mothers, or have toddlers of their own. I can't imagine bringing a child into this world, with the situation I'm in right now. A few of my friends found great opportunities and a couple is even making a joint six figure income working as financiers at only 20, 21.

I know that I have always been a late bloomer, because I haven't yet realized my passions. So in some truth, I can understand where they based off the adolescence being delayed to 24 years of age, because our milestones are being pushed back, expectations are put off for later.

I remember my puny middle school self once thought I would somehow magically transform into the most athletic, academic guy in high school and get a full ride somehow to some prestigious school, somehow become very popular and have a high taste in the arts or something and then go on to procure some high paying job as a banker or businessman and be off to live in some lofty penthouse in New York City by age 25. It's funny how perspective changes because when you're younger, time just seems so vast and as you get older, you realize how fleeting it is.

I think an unfortunate error I made as a young kid was not accepting my uniqueness and kind of wanting to conform to what society values, and not realizing that success can come in many ways. Independence is the best measure, and not the superficial aspects of it. Looking back, I wish I went along with a more simplistic plan instead of unrealistically overlooking modest colleges and universities for the top ones. My mother has competitive friends, and their sons all went to good schools and bragged about it in an inadvertently rub-it in her face sort of way. I have accepted that in a few ways, I don't have natural dispositions that it'll take to be those sorts of people no matter how I force it upon myself. I wasted my time trying to get into a good school and now I am enrolled in a small program to obtain a license so I can work a decent paying job.

The most intimidating part is starting from the bottom, and the best thing to do is be humble and patient and stay determined.  :)

It seems humiliating, but that's the wonder in everything, the novelty of starting out and trying to fill a blank slate with experiences.

When I got placed out of consideration for AP classes one year because I could not get a recommendation from a teacher, I was so displeased with myself that I let my grades slip even in the most basic of classes because I was convinced I was stupid, and dumb. At the end of the year, I somehow managed to get out into AP English, and by the time that happened I realized how naive I was, and ended up having to remove myself from the class because I realized how mistaken I was.

In my opinion, I think we all have a different calling, and for me, being those people in the top percentile is probably out of my reach, but my stubborn self back then could never accept that. A college degree isn't all that it takes to be successful for everybody because everyone is on a different curve.

I think to be at an adult's level, is to adapt and accept things as they are, and also utilize what resources they have to their avail to leverage them and with that, being aware and considerate, having an open mind, and flexibility. What distinguishes adolescents from adults, is that adolescents are still figuring things out, and learning how the real world works, and finding their niche and place in society.

I think it's true that people today are finding it harder to grow up especially in a culture that demonizes adulthood to be frightening, and depressing, and a sign of being closer to old age when independence is the best fulfillment. In some ways too, the economy has changed a lot where raising a family is just out of the question especially just being in your early twenties.

I know I speak in a roundabout way, but the topic frustrated and confuses me too. My generation is the one to coin the term "adulting" so that says how we generally are disposed to overthink.  I tend to overthink, and I make a big deal out of everything, and I know I need to learn how to manage that. Our generation has also been criticized for being sensitive, and being weak-minded, and I can't testify for other generations, but sometimes it does seem our generation is the most reviled by previous in history. Yes, intergenerational criticisms have come along in old historical texts too, but I feel our generation sort of stands out for these things.

Delayed adolescence could also be a product of helicopter parenting as they say, and how our expectations of an easy life and adulthood will not always come. I can definitely see the downside, where someone might stray from their path and see someone else's success and let it hinder their progress.

I know that previous generations of mine have had it way harder. I think our preconceived notions will affect us. I firmly believe that what preconceived notions we were brought up as children, does affect our brain. Technology brings forth instant gratification, so we got so used to that satisfaction, that in ways we expect it from all aspects in our life (?): We all expect perfection. At least, I do.

I'm mostly basing this from my personal experience as a young adult of today. I don't want to epitomize myself as the stereotypical negative millennial that everyone frowns upon, but I can understand partly where everyone comes from that conclusion of delayed adolescence.

Then again, I'm a late bloomer, and I'm sure everyone is different.

It's embarrassing to add a few things like me not having received my first paycheck yet at twenty, other than doing small side jobs in high school "only scaring up $20 really  ;D" and some online transcription job I tried to get into but stopped since it took me a good three hours just to get $10 through rates. I hope my living situation will change soon. I just need to take this exam so I could have a credential to show to employers when I start looking for interviews.

Also, I think this "delayed adolescence" could be taken quite also on a physical level too. I do have the body of a teenager, and I'm already 20. It's so intimidating  :-\\ . I sort of get anxiety for it, but I do have a very scrawny built and I have some stunted growth too. I don't like to complain much, but nobody wants to look immature than they really are. It just compounds my already teenage-inclined temperament I have.  ;D

I get some anxiety that people will never take me seriously because I look young. It's not the name calling, or jokes I'm bound to get when I'm in the workplace, but it's this feeling of unworthiness or incredibility that puts me down. I'm worried people won't take me seriously at all, or see me as an asset or benefit.  :(

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Written By: Howard on 01/20/18 at 7:09 am

haha. According to the rest of the world, this stage is supposed to happen before you hit 30. That's not long at all. You'll be 30 before you know it.

and before you know it, old age hits.

Written By: Howard on 01/20/18 at 7:12 am

I was thinning in my late 20's.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/20/18 at 10:17 am

I guess my definition of "young adult" has always been different from most people.  It seems that to most people it's teenagers or maybe college age.  I've always considered it to be post-adolescence but still pre-marriage/kids.  Basically the 18-25 age range, possibly extending to 29.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/20/18 at 11:33 am

I know some people in their 50's that I would classify as adolescent.

And I have a co-worker in his early 20's that I would characterize as an old fuddy duddy.  :-X

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/20/18 at 1:32 pm

I know some people in their 50's that I would classify as adolescent.

And I have a co-worker in his early 20's that I would characterize as an old fuddy duddy.  :-X

I have to clarify, you do not know someone in their 50s that you can  CLASSIFY  as an adolescent. You know someone in their 50s who ACTS like an adolescent. They are not a chronological adolescent. Adolescence is a specific chronological time in life (exactly WHAT time of life seems to be a big question here, though I'm not sure it should be), but it definitely does not extend to age 50. Likewise, your early 20s friend is likely that elusive "young adult" in question here, or more likely, an adult who is young, who ACTS like an old fuddy duddy. "Old fuddy duddy", however is not a chronological stage of life.

What we need to keep clear in this discussion is people who are actually IN chronological stages of life such as adolescent and the elusive "young adult", and people in OTHER chronological stages of life who are ACTING like adolescents and young adults. Big, big difference.

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/18 at 1:35 pm

I guess my definition of "young adult" has always been different from most people.  It seems that to most people it's teenagers or maybe college age.  I've always considered it to be post-adolescence but still pre-marriage/kids.  Basically the 18-25 age range, possibly extending to 29.

That is my definition of young adult too: anyone in their 20s and sometimes early 30s. They're adults, but not home owning, child rearing adults. The average marriage age for men is 32 and women 30 in Canada. People call couples in their early 30s "young couples" all the time.

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/18 at 1:41 pm

I was thinning in my late 20's.

I started thinning at 22! But when I tell people I'm balding they usually drop dead laughing in disbelief, so I guess it's not that noticeable yet three years later.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/20/18 at 4:22 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-42732442

Adolescence now lasts from the ages of 10 to 24, although it used to be thought to end at 19, scientists say.

Young people continuing their education for longer, as well as delayed marriage and parenthood, has pushed back popular perceptions of when adulthood begins.

Changing the definition is vital to ensure laws stay appropriate, they write in an opinion piece in the Lancet Child & Adolescent Health journal

----

Wow I've retroactively become an adolescent again! One more month until my childhood is officially over ;D

Just because people don't want to live a certain lifestyle society pushes on them (marriage, kids, owning a house not being life goals) doesn't mean one is immature. Quite frankly that's the stupidest most narrow minded way to define maturity I've ever heard!  >:(

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/20/18 at 4:23 pm

I'm still in my adolescence:

Tiff at 12: Watching MJ videos, eating candy.
Tiff at damn near 32: Watching MJ videos, eating candy

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/18 at 4:43 pm

Just because people don't want to live a certain lifestyle society pushes on them (marriage, kids, owning a house not being life goals) doesn't mean one is immature. Quite frankly that's the stupidest most narrow minded way to define maturity I've ever heard!  >:(

I honestly 100% agree with you. These arbitrary expectations and putting an arbitrary age on them is so silly.

Written By: Howard on 01/20/18 at 5:22 pm

I started thinning at 22! But when I tell people I'm balding they usually drop dead laughing in disbelief, so I guess it's not that noticeable yet three years later.

Plus with the thinning I have gray hair on the sides on my head.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/20/18 at 5:56 pm

I have grey hair on ALL sides of my head.  ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/20/18 at 7:22 pm

As the saying goes..."just because there's snow on the roof, doesn't mean there's no fire in the furnace".  ;D

Written By: annimal on 01/20/18 at 7:32 pm

I have some grey hairs

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/20/18 at 7:55 pm

I'm still in my adolescence:

Tiff at 12: Watching MJ videos, eating candy.
Tiff at damn near 32: Watching MJ videos, eating candy

#MeToo

Written By: Slim95 on 01/20/18 at 8:13 pm

I'm in the exact same position now as I was when I was 20 years old. Still in university, still living with parents, still no girlfriend, etc. Maybe I matured slightly but very little it is like I'm still 20 years old basically.

Written By: annimal on 01/20/18 at 8:22 pm

lets see, I'm 35 just starting to get a little job like a teenager might and ...

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/20/18 at 9:21 pm

lets see, I'm 35 just starting to get a little job like a teenager might and ...

So you're a millennial?  ;D

Written By: annimal on 01/20/18 at 10:28 pm

maybe I'm 18

Written By: Howard on 01/21/18 at 7:22 am

at your age?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/21/18 at 7:24 am

I'm in the exact same position now as I was when I was 20 years old. Still in university, still living with parents, still no girlfriend, etc. Maybe I matured slightly but very little it is like I'm still 20 years old basically.

still no girlfriend, Slim? What are you waiting for? :o

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/21/18 at 8:16 am

Maybe he's waiting for the right one

Written By: violet_shy on 01/21/18 at 10:03 am

20 to 24 is too old to be a teenager. Scientists are WRONG!!

Written By: 2001 on 01/21/18 at 11:52 am

I have one grey beard hair on my chin, and one freak grey hair on my shoulders. I don't have any other hair on my shoulders, just that one long silver hair that feels like wool.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/21/18 at 12:21 pm

Maybe he's waiting for the right one

Yeah waiting for the right one.

Written By: Howard on 01/21/18 at 1:49 pm

I have one grey beard hair on my chin, and one freak grey hair on my shoulders. I don't have any other hair on my shoulders, just that one long silver hair that feels like wool.

I have hair on my back.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/21/18 at 1:49 pm

Yeah waiting for the right one.

The right one will come along.

Written By: annimal on 01/21/18 at 4:36 pm

What if it's a democrat?

Written By: 2001 on 01/21/18 at 6:35 pm

That was the body part I dreaded growing hair on most when I was a teen. Thankfully it never happened ;D

I have hair on my feet though. It's pretty easy to shave compared to shaving your back, takes like 20 seconds.

Written By: Howard on 01/22/18 at 5:32 am

That was the body part I dreaded growing hair on most when I was a teen. Thankfully it never happened ;D

I have hair on my feet though. It's pretty easy to shave compared to shaving your back, takes like 20 seconds.

shaving my back would take a full-on body wax.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/24/18 at 8:16 am

Like Pete Sampras?

Written By: Howard on 01/24/18 at 2:17 pm

Like Pete Sampras?

more like Chewbacca. ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...