inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Nintendo Switch's success in 2017

Written By: mqg96 on 01/19/18 at 9:04 am

Now I'm not sure how things will play out this 2018 and beyond, but when everybody counted out Nintendo and thought the Switch would be the Dreamcast of the company. They make a miraculous turnaround with it's advertising, demographic and sells. Still a lot that has to be played out but they've already sold 10 million units in less than a year from its release which is as much as the Wii U in 3 years near the end of its life span. Sorry if a thread like this has already been created, but I've been gone for several months, so I want to hear everybody's opinion on its success. Now I'm not getting one because I don't have time for it, but Super Mario Odyssey and Zelda: Breath of the Wild would be my top 2 picks as of now.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/12/12/the-nintendo-switch-is-selling-exactly-as-fast-as-sonys-ps4/#703b61aa7b59

Here's a guy on YouTube named "NeoGameSpark" and I've been following him for 9 years. He's an expert in a lot of gaming and brings up a lot of good points. He keeps things real 100% with his opinions. I don't remember him ever owning this many games for the Wii and I don't remember him owning the Wii U at all, and even if he did he probably took it back.

J6CCCVhpUdw

W6v8HvX9BN4

xxlqWMp6l4E

P83TfV6hiMQ

Subject: Re: The Nintendo Switch's success in 2017

Written By: 80sfan on 01/19/18 at 9:42 am

How are things going? How have things progressed in your life?

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/19/18 at 9:47 am

The triumphant return of Nintendo. I love and am really proud of that company, and it seems like the old guard might be finally stepping aside.

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/19/18 at 12:28 pm

I also hear Zelda Breath of The Wild and Odyssey is great but, I'm not messing with the Switch until a Smash 5 is announced or a trailer of an anticipated Pokémon Switch at the most.

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/19/18 at 1:00 pm

A few other reasons to mess with a Switch:

- Super Mario Odyssey
- Project Octopath Traveler
- Mario Kart 8 (my personal fave)
- Snipperclips
- Hollow Knight (its available on other platforms, but it plays amazingly on a Switch)

Written By: Wobo on 01/19/18 at 5:36 pm

I have a switch.  :P

Written By: 2001 on 01/19/18 at 10:54 pm

I haven't watch the videos you linked (sorry, they're kind of long  :-[), but you remember back when it was announced how there were 10 different threads on here talking about how Nintendo was doomed? ;D

I'm glad they made a turnaround. I knew a Nintendo console that launches with Zelda could never fail! I got my Switch a few weeks back. I've played it for about 30 hours already. That's all Mario Kart 8 with friends though, I need to start Zelda, which I still haven't taken out of the box.  :-[

Written By: duenas8 on 01/19/18 at 11:57 pm

I hope this console doesn’t end like Nintendo Wii, which was very successful at the beginning.

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/18 at 9:37 am

I hope this console doesn’t end like Nintendo Wii, which was very successful at the beginning.

Same. The problem with the Wii was the motion controls though. That ruined many a good game for me.

The Switch on the other hand has an amazing form factor. God damn, innovation like this deserves to succeed!

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/20/18 at 9:48 am

Unfortunately I'm not too impressed with the upcoming lineup for games. After Super Mario Odyssey and Zelda (which I have for the Wii U), it seems like there's nothing to get excited about. Most of the games are remastered versions of Wii U games, like Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, and DK Tropical Freeze.

Same. The problem with the Wii was the motion controls though. That ruined many a good game for me.

The Switch on the other hand has an amazing form factor. God damn, innovation like this deserves to succeed!

I hated the Wii for that reason. The only game I enjoyed the motion controls for was Wii Sports. The Switch implements motion controls like for Super Mario Odyssey, but as an option.

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/20/18 at 11:59 am

I'm glad they made a turnaround. I knew a Nintendo console that launches with Zelda could never fail! I got my Switch a few weeks back. I've played it for about 30 hours already. That's all Mario Kart 8 with friends though, I need to start Zelda, which I still haven't taken out of the box.  :-[

I did this with Skyrim. Haha I'm also at that age, I don't want put in hours into a video game anymore. Not unless its a big big hit.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/20/18 at 4:35 pm

I did this with Skyrim. Haha I'm also at that age, I don't want put in hours into a video game anymore. Not unless its a big big hit.

When it comes to games like that I just do the quests that sound appealing and as much of the main story as I can. I don't have time to be a completionist and insist on doing every little thing possible. Plus some glitches aren't allowing for that anyway.

That's because it was marketed with focus on that motion control and games like Wii bowling or tennis and all that would lose their appeal quickly. Wii was just a novelty that wore off. The weird control was not ideal for people who preferred games played the way people are used to.

Written By: whistledog on 01/20/18 at 8:15 pm

I've watched reviews of a few switch games that are cross platform and it seems the switch versions have graphical glitches compared to the PS4 and Xbone versions. 

Everyone is raving about Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey, and though they look like great games, my love for Zelda, Mario and a lot of Nintendo characters has waned over the years because most of the games now are aimed towards a younger audience.  I want a better selection of games.

Written By: TheKid99 on 01/23/18 at 7:47 am

I have a switch and am very satisfied. We actually have two of them. My brother John got one and I have one too so when I go off to college I can bring it with me!

I only have one game, Zelda BotW, but it is a game you can play forever.

My brother John has three games, LA Noire, Mario Kart 8 and Zelda BotW. We have both been satisified with it. The docking situation that makes it easy to make cords not tangled, and the fact it is so portable!

Nintendo certainly hit a home run with the Switch and I am okay with them remastering Wii U games as filler becaus elets be real, some people might want to play the games and a console that sold only 10 million units did not cater to everyone, and putting those games with all of the extras on the Switch will be something consumers will like I think.

Written By: 2001 on 01/23/18 at 11:02 am

I have a switch and am very satisfied. We actually have two of them. My brother John got one and I have one too so when I go off to college I can bring it with me!

I only have one game, Zelda BotW, but it is a game you can play forever.

My brother John has three games, LA Noire, Mario Kart 8 and Zelda BotW. We have both been satisified with it. The docking situation that makes it easy to make cords not tangled, and the fact it is so portable!

Nintendo certainly hit a home run with the Switch and I am okay with them remastering Wii U games as filler becaus elets be real, some people might want to play the games and a console that sold only 10 million units did not cater to everyone, and putting those games with all of the extras on the Switch will be something consumers will like I think.

I'm happy with the remasters too. I'm not buying a Wii U.

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 01/24/18 at 9:12 pm

I like my Nintendo Switch, and I'm thinking about getting Doom for it. Nintendo handhelds are greats, and the Switch is no exception. It obviously isn't as powerful as the PS4 and Xbox One, it won't have GTA 6, Call of Duty 57, and what not, but it at least has semi-decent third party support that can make the Switch a more justifiable purchase. It's different from competition and it's obviously not for everyone. I'm not going to use the motion controls with the joy-cons, I grew up with the Wii and I loved it, but it isn't 2006 anymore, I want to play with a damn control. The Nintendo Switch is the best handheld on the market. I have Super Mario Odyssey, Mario + Rabbids, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and Pokken Tournament, great games, but I haven't played them a lot. I'm looking forward to what the Switch brings us in the future!

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/26/18 at 6:43 pm

Still not picking one up until more contemporary third party efforts come. It seems like an old 7th gen dumping ground.

Plus I'm catching up on all the great Wii games I missed. I have The Galaxy games, Strikers Charged,  Monster Hunter, Epic Mickey, Okami and De blob.
Still need Madworld, No More Heroes, Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario, Battalion Wars 2, Fire Emblem SS, Mushroom Men and Red Steel 2.

Written By: 2001 on 01/26/18 at 10:02 pm

Still not picking one up until more contemporary third party efforts come. It seems like an old 7th gen dumping ground.

Plus I'm catching up on all the great Wii games I missed. I have The Galaxy games, Strikers Charged,  Monster Hunter, Epic Mickey, Okami and De blob.
Still need Madworld, No More Heroes, Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario, Battalion Wars 2, Fire Emblem SS, Mushroom Men and Red Steel 2.

No More Heroes is great! I can't believe the game is officially 10 years old now. I remember raving about it like it was yesterday.

Strikers is also solid. It was the first online game for the Wii in North America and also the first console game I played online. So many memories with that. :D

Does the online in Monster Hunter still work? Maybe we can play together sometime. Although I'm not sure where in the deep bowels of my house I left the Wii ;D

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/27/18 at 7:02 pm

No More Heroes is great! I can't believe the game is officially 10 years old now. I remember raving about it like it was yesterday.

Strikers is also solid. It was the first online game for the Wii in North America and also the first console game I played online. So many memories with that. :D

Does the online in Monster Hunter still work? Maybe we can play together sometime. Although I'm not sure where in the deep bowels of my house I left the Wii ;D

Unfortunately it's down and has been since 2013. I've only played online twice and loved it, but I wasn't proficient enough in online multiplayer. Hopefully a someone will create a local server for the game.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/27/18 at 10:33 pm

I haven't watch the videos you linked (sorry, they're kind of long  :-you remember back when it was announced how there were 10 different threads on here talking about how Nintendo was doomed? ;D

I remember. It was actually kind of unnerving to see so much desire to see Nintendo fail. I haven't even touched the console in 20 years.

Written By: ofkx on 01/29/18 at 9:12 am

Bought a Switch + Zelda yesterday, and so far it's awesome. I'm thinking of buying Mario Odyssey soon.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/07/18 at 10:26 pm

Bought a Switch + Zelda yesterday, and so far it's awesome. I'm thinking of buying Mario Odyssey soon.

Mario Odyssey is good too. Unfortunately it doesn't look I will buy any more games for it in the foreseeable future. Maybe if Metroid Prime 4 comes out.

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 03/03/18 at 9:44 pm

The Nintendo Switch came out on 3/3/2017, exactly a year ago today.  :D :o

Check for new replies or respond here...