inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is fashion getting classier?

Written By: 2001 on 01/21/18 at 11:52 pm

I already felt like 2010s fashion was slightly classier than previous decades with the metrosexual than retro-hipsterism looks that have been popular over the past decade. But does anyone else feel that 2018 is going a bit extra? It might just be my age and a part of growing up (25 in a month), but hear me out.

A few weeks ago, I wore a black hoodie, some mid-blue straight cut jeans and neon blue running shoes. I was going for a casual/approachable look. Well, I step on the bus (so we can ignore any socio-economic variables) and I sat down and I felt really conscious. I was looking around and seeing what everyone else was wearing, and I felt so tacky. Everyone was wearing really nice shoes and boots, with really mute colours (yellow, brown, black, grey etc.), fancy coats and scarves. My "casual" look just felt lazy and ugly. For the first time in a long long time, I felt really unfashionable.  :-[

I threw all my athletic shoes into the closet. I wear my brown leather boots or black shoes all the time now, which is weird because I used to save them for situations I wanted to "kill it". Only my grey coat and black peacoat for me now. I always feel like I have to wear a scarf even if it's not that cold. My dark blue skinny jeans suddenly became my favourite. Instead of hoodies (which I have a million of) on those cool but not cold days, I stick to my sweaters. I don't think I can pull off hoodies anymore.  :-\\

When I dig into my closet and pick out some casual American Eagle early 2010s t-shirt, I just wince and throw it back in. Two years ago, I had no qualms about wearing them and they still looked good. The weird thing is, I had a bit of a "metrosexual" phase in my teen years in the late 2000s, some of these clothes I haven't worn in almost a decade and I was thinking about donating them, but I've been wearing them all the time recently.  :o

Is anyone else noticing this? Or am I just getting old and have no interest in dressing like a teenager anymore? ;D I look around and everyone is dressing fancy shmancy like they're on a catwalk, so I feel like it isn't just me.

Subject: Re: Is fashion getting classier?

Written By: XYkid on 01/22/18 at 12:33 am

I feel that in some ways, dress is becoming more casual, but also more minimalistic and less colourful. A lot of men's clothing I have noticed seems to be designed for both comfort and style.
I'm almost 24 and dress like a teenager from the 90s or early 00s, I don't care if people think I'm weird haha.

Written By: 90s Guy on 01/22/18 at 2:55 am

I've noticed it but only subtly. I never go anywhere without my trust zip-up boots, my little silver ring with its black stone and diamond sides, and in this cold weather, my black Pea Coat. That said, I wish I could dress fancy in every day wear. Not suit and tie fancy, but think like Brian Jones (late member of the Rolling Stones - he was a fashion icon, look him up).

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/22/18 at 5:23 am

There appears to be a shortage of neckties.

You see all sorts of men wearing sports jackets and dress shirts, then go sloppy because they cannot seem to find a tie.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/22/18 at 9:06 am

I'm certainly not a fashion expert, but here are a few things that have got to go.

The baggy (usually cargo) shorts, t shirt (or sweatshirt), sneakers and baseball cap look that American males wear well into middle age. Nothing says "I'm  a schlub!", more than this look, especially the older one gets. In fact, let's completely get rid of the trend that has existed since the early 90s of men wearing shorts anytime, anywhere, any weather.

Flip flops. At some point when nobody was looking, flip flops, once only for beachwear, pool wear, around the house wear, etc, became an all consuming thing that people wear anywhere, anytime, on every occasion. How did that happen? There are even bejeweled and "dress" flip flops, which should be an oxymoron. Not only are flip flops inappropriate for some occasions, they are the most impractical footwear ever invented. How long do you want to feel that thing between your toes?

And while we're at it, haven't "hoodies" in general long outstayed their welcome? Even the sound of the name is annoying.

But this is just my opinion. People are free to wear what they want.  ;)

Written By: Milk on 01/22/18 at 10:44 am

This decade has been really minimalistic for fashion. A lot of muted colours and such. However I feel like we're going to the opposite direction and becoming more flashier and colourful.

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/22/18 at 3:30 pm

I'm certainly not a fashion expert, but here are a few things that have got to go.

The baggy (usually cargo) shorts, t shirt (or sweatshirt), sneakers and baseball cap look that American males wear well into middle age. Nothing says "I'm  a schlub!", more than this look, especially the older one gets. In fact, let's completely get rid of the trend that has existed since the early 90s of men wearing shorts anytime, anywhere, any weather.

Flip flops. At some point when nobody was looking, flip flops, once only for beachwear, pool wear, around the house wear, etc, became an all consuming thing that people wear anywhere, anytime, on every occasion. How did that happen? There are even bejeweled and "dress" flip flops, which should be an oxymoron. Not only are flip flops inappropriate for some occasions, they are the most impractical footwear ever invented. How long do you want to feel that thing between your toes?

And while we're at it, haven't "hoodies" in general long outstayed their welcome? Even the sound of the name is annoying.

We should never meet, because I'm guilty of wearing all those things in nice weather -- minus the baggy cargo shorts.  ::)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/22/18 at 3:49 pm

We should never meet, because I'm guilty of wearing all those things in nice weather -- minus the baggy cargo shorts.  ::)

If you don't have the cargo (or similar) shorts, you don't have the famed "I'm a schlub" look because they are the most integral part. It's a whole package. Nothing wrong with a t shirt and/or sneakers with a pair of jeans, for example. 

Written By: wixness on 01/23/18 at 7:52 am

It has been since emo hair was seen as no longer fashionable (around 2013). I think a bit earlier as well, judging by the typographical change of some logo:

http://c3.cduniverse.ws/resized/250x500/music/939/8116939.jpg
https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51FMuusuixL._SS500.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 01/23/18 at 11:00 am

I feel that in some ways, dress is becoming more casual, but also more minimalistic and less colourful. A lot of men's clothing I have noticed seems to be designed for both comfort and style.
I'm almost 24 and dress like a teenager from the 90s or early 00s, I don't care if people think I'm weird haha.

Good point about comfort. I was talking with my friend about this the other day and he reminded me that sweatpants became acceptable to wear in public a few years ago, although they're the fitted 'joggers' type.

https://anf.scene7.com/is/image/anf/anf_200302_01_model1?$product-anf-v1$&wid=347&hei=438

I've noticed it but only subtly. I never go anywhere without my trust zip-up boots, my little silver ring with its black stone and diamond sides, and in this cold weather, my black Pea Coat. That said, I wish I could dress fancy in every day wear. Not suit and tie fancy, but think like Brian Jones (late member of the Rolling Stones - he was a fashion icon, look him up).

I'd love to have more reasons to dress up like that, but if I dressed like that everyday it would start to look ordinary. ;D

There appears to be a shortage of neckties.

You see all sorts of men wearing sports jackets and dress shirts, then go sloppy because they cannot seem to find a tie.

No one likes having to do up their top button.  :(

I think 'dress' flip flops can look good on women, but I don't think I've ever seen a nice pair on men. The rest is true ;D

It has been since emo hair was seen as no longer fashionable (around 2013). I think a bit earlier as well, judging by the typographical change of some logo:

The second one looks really ugly!

Written By: Kid of the 2000s on 01/23/18 at 2:39 pm

I see it with the tapered jeans and slim fit sweat pants that looks nice, about the only thing I do like this decade, the prints on street wear brands styles are no longer "ghetto" but much more artistic and hipster-ish, more classy, refined, futuristic  and modern looking,  when you think of it, just look at the way rocawear has reinvented them self this decade if you won't to see what I'm talking about

Written By: wixness on 01/23/18 at 6:22 pm

The second one looks really ugly!
It does. I guess they were really keen to ditch the edgy emo aesthetic since Justin Bieber's second haircut caught on:

http://hairstyles.thehairstyler.com/hairstyle_views/left_view_images/7100/original/Justin-Bieber.jpg

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/23/18 at 6:46 pm

Where I’m at, it’s still the same 2010’s fashion, although I have noticed that the man bun is past it’s peak but still a little bit relevant, but that’s getting really long in the tooth.

Again, I’m just basing this off where I live.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/23/18 at 9:06 pm

I have not noticed any significant changes in fashion. Not that I was expecting anything different, since 2018 has just started.  I think the majority of 2018 will be mostly the same stuff as the past couple of years. We'll probably start to see some newer styles around late 2018/2019.

Written By: ofkx on 01/24/18 at 4:57 am

Good point about comfort. I was talking with my friend about this the other day and he reminded me that sweatpants became acceptable to wear in public a few years ago, although they're the fitted 'joggers' type.

https://anf.scene7.com/is/image/anf/anf_200302_01_model1?$product-anf-v1$&wid=347&hei=438

I'm glad that they're acceptable in public now. They're a lot more comfortable than jeans.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/24/18 at 4:58 am

I'm glad that they're acceptable in pubic now. They're a lot more comfortable than jeans.

“Pubic”

Written By: ofkx on 01/24/18 at 5:06 am

“Pubic”

Whoops ;D. Thanks for pointing it out.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/24/18 at 9:02 pm

I agree with you SP. It seems like people getting trendier and more fashionable. I definitely feel like African-Americans have gotten very fashionable during this decade. It used to be white ts or baggy clothing or what ignorant people would call "ghetto". Now everything is well fit and trendy with a lot of that community. At least of the younger side anyway.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/25/18 at 5:34 am

I agree with you SP. It seems like people getting trendier and more fashionable. I definitely feel like African-Americans have gotten very fashionable during this decade. It used to be white ts or baggy clothing or what ignorant people would call "ghetto". Now everything is well fit and trendy with a lot of that community. At least of the younger side anyway.

Like this?

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/0d/a3/7a/0da37a8bdfb3ab2940dd39f838252a95--clueless-fashion-fashion-.jpg

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/25/18 at 6:37 pm

Like this?

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/0d/a3/7a/0da37a8bdfb3ab2940dd39f838252a95--clueless-fashion-fashion-.jpg

That may be on the exaggerated side but close.

Written By: 2001 on 01/25/18 at 6:47 pm

Like this?

Whatever Bruno Mars is wearing

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/pc/Bruno+Mars+Bruno+Mars+Arrives+Victoria+Secret+vTi-AbZcCqul.jpg

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/25/18 at 8:24 pm

We don't dress like that lol

Written By: Howard on 01/26/18 at 7:14 am

Whatever Bruno Mars is wearing

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/pc/Bruno+Mars+Bruno+Mars+Arrives+Victoria+Secret+vTi-AbZcCqul.jpg

I think I could pull of a Bruno Mars style.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/26/18 at 8:39 am

I hope some of these more streamlined styles mean we might finally be getting rid of the drab, baggy styles that have plagued us since the early 90s. They seem to linger  on and on.  Time to banish them, and that includes hoodies. Sorry, but from now on hoodies should only be for functional cold weather wear as they were originally intended, not for everyday wear or fashion statement. Their time has passed.  It's time for something different. And hopefully it won't be a return to the playroom, toxbox, kindergarten look of 80s fashion either. Time for something new!

And not to contradict myself, but I notice a trend in men's suits towards a small, tight almost Pee-wee Herman look.  That's not so great either. Surely there must be a happy medium between the super baggy and Pee-wee Herman!  :D

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/26/18 at 6:34 pm

I'll keep my baggy clothes thank you very much. That crap looks wack af.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/26/18 at 6:37 pm

I certainly don't mean I want fashion to look like the examples in the posts here with the leopard print and all that. That stuff looks almost 80s, more than fashion forward.

Written By: 2001 on 01/26/18 at 10:06 pm

I hope some of these more streamlined styles mean we might finally be getting rid of the drab, baggy styles that have plagued us since the early 90s. They seem to linger  on and on.  Time to banish them, and that includes hoodies. Sorry, but from now on hoodies should only be for functional cold weather wear as they were originally intended, not for everyday wear or fashion statement. Their time has passed.  It's time for something different. And hopefully it won't be a return to the playroom, toxbox, kindergarten look of 80s fashion either. Time for something new!

And not to contradict myself, but I notice a trend in men's suits towards a small, tight almost Pee-wee Herman look.  That's not so great either. Surely there must be a happy medium between the super baggy and Pee-wee Herman!  :D

Slim fits look the best. I tried a "straight cut" phase two years ago and it just wasn't a good look.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/26/18 at 11:25 pm

Slim fits look the best. I tried a "straight cut" phase two years ago and it just wasn't a good look.

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist or anything, but there is a school of thought that "slim fit" is a scam so manufacturers can use less material and hence maximize profits. This would be part and parcel with manufacturers devising ways to put less product into packaging, be it food, shaving cream etc and thus making more money while screwing the consumer. This goes on all around us.

And if you want to talk purely on a fashion level, not all body types are meant for "slim fit", yet increasingly that is all one finds nowadays.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/26/18 at 11:29 pm

I certainly don't mean I want fashion to look like the examples in the posts here with the leopard print and all that. That stuff looks almost 80s, more than fashion forward.

My problem with your opinion on the topic of fashion is that we only know what you DON'T want and not what you want.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/27/18 at 12:01 am

My problem with your opinion on the topic of fashion is that we only know what you DON'T want and not what you want.

That's my problem too. I'm not a fashion designer, I don't know what it will be. I'll know it when i see it.  :-\\

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/27/18 at 1:03 am

Like this?

These people look like dorks!

You and me both. Dickies forever.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/27/18 at 2:24 am

That's my problem too. I'm not a fashion designer, I don't know what it will be. I'll know it when i see it.  :-\\

As long as you admit it. I fold.  8)

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/27/18 at 3:17 am

Now here’s a guy whose wardrobe exudes style and class:

http://www.gossipextra.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Pitbull-3.jpg

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s320x320/e35/12797648_1542795176012977_1329271855_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTE5ODg1ODE1MDI5NzE2MDk4OA%3D%3D.2.l

Written By: 2001 on 01/27/18 at 10:30 am

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist or anything, but there is a school of thought that "slim fit" is a scam so manufacturers can use less material and hence maximize profits. This would be part and parcel with manufacturers devising ways to put less product into packaging, be it food, shaving cream etc and thus making more money while screwing the consumer. This goes on all around us.

And if you want to talk purely on a fashion level, not all body types are meant for "slim fit", yet increasingly that is all one finds nowadays.

Clothes have become a lot cheaper the past 5 years or so though, especially at fast fashion retailers. People spend less on clothes nowadays (http://www.businessinsider.com/consumers-spending-less-on-apparel-2015-5). If slimming is a cost-cutting scheme then I can't blame them ;D

That's true, it depends on your body type. Generally though, I think fitted clothes look best, not too baggy and not skin tight. I have a few baggy clothes from when I was a teenager and so desperately wish there was a way to slim them down and make the fabric thinner, because they look great otherwise.  :(

Written By: 2001 on 01/27/18 at 10:31 am

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s320x320/e35/12797648_1542795176012977_1329271855_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTE5ODg1ODE1MDI5NzE2MDk4OA%3D%3D.2.l

I think we're headed towards this in the 2020s. What a trailblazer!

Written By: Howard on 01/27/18 at 2:22 pm

He kinda looks like Daddy Warbucks.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/18 at 2:23 pm

I think fashion should return to the days when the guys worn Hawaiian shirts and parachute pants.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/27/18 at 2:32 pm

Now this is what I've been talking about. Pitbull is the definition of class. 8)

Written By: 80sfan on 01/27/18 at 3:24 pm

Fashion is getting edgier, and hotter!  8)

Written By: 2001 on 01/27/18 at 6:42 pm

I think fashion should return to the days when the guys worn Hawaiian shirts and parachute pants.

When was that? ;D

Written By: AndrewShannon on 01/28/18 at 4:56 am

That's nothing. He is but a little baby. This is real fashion.
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/54d10203e4b0d299700879e5/t/59e541c8cf81e0f981fcd293/1508196839231/1850sman.jpg?format=750w

I don't think fashion is getting "classier", but more "neo-classical", like the 50s. Casual, comfy, but "stylish", with some color. No more baggy pants and unsaturated drab greens and browns like 2014 as far as I can see. Better imo, but I don't care about fashion, I only wear what I personally like, and if it's not "in style" or is "weird" then so what? No trendhopping I say.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/28/18 at 8:03 am

Now this is what I've been talking about. Pitbull is the definition of class. 8)

And with Pit, it is not always suit and tie. Even when he's dressing casual it is classy, and he often accessories his outfits with a hot chick or two...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/08/article-2321481-19A376BB000005DC-83_634x819.jpg

Written By: Howard on 01/28/18 at 3:05 pm

Fashion is getting edgier, and hotter!  8)

and more skin exposure.

Written By: Howard on 01/28/18 at 3:06 pm

When was that? ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/28/18 at 3:27 pm

Not exactly. parachute pants did not exist until the 80s.

Written By: ofkx on 02/01/18 at 2:54 pm

Like this?

Nobody dresses like that.

Written By: 2001 on 02/01/18 at 3:23 pm

Nobody dresses like that.

Do you think most men would look good in cheetah?

Written By: Howard on 02/02/18 at 7:13 am

Do you think most men would look good in cheetah?

https://images.halloweencostumes.com/products/1472/1-1/supa-mac-daddy-pimp-costume.jpg

Written By: AndrewShannon on 02/02/18 at 8:13 am

https://images.halloweencostumes.com/products/1472/1-1/supa-mac-daddy-pimp-costume.jpg

#bringbackexcess!

Check for new replies or respond here...