inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was indietronica "supposed to" be the sound of the 2010s?

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/24/18 at 12:21 pm

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Passion Pit and Owl City. Some of you may recall that both of these acts were huge circa 2008 through 2011 or 2012.

They both still make music but they seem to have somewhat disappeared from the spotlight, right around the time Bruno Mars, Miley Cyrus, Lorde and others began to take off. It seems the same could be said of indie rock and indie folk - they should have defined the 2010s. Does anyone else get this sense for either of these genres? What do you suppose happened?

Subject: Re: Was indietronica "supposed to" be the sound of the 2010s?

Written By: John Titor on 01/24/18 at 12:33 pm

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Passion Pit and Owl City. Some of you may recall that both of these acts were huge circa 2008 through 2011 or 2012.

They both still make music but they seem to have somewhat disappeared from the spotlight, right around the time Bruno Mars, Miley Cyrus, Lorde and others began to take off. It seems the same could be said of indie rock and indie folk - they should have defined the 2010s. Does anyone else get this sense for either of these genres? What do you suppose happened?

it did happen lol

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/24/18 at 12:39 pm

I meant what happened as in why indietronica didn't become the definitive 2010s genre.

Written By: John Titor on 01/24/18 at 12:47 pm

I meant what happened as in why indietronica didn't become the definitive 2010s genre.

it morphed into a more imagine dragons generic sound

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/24/18 at 3:29 pm

it morphed into a more imagine dragons generic sound

This, but I would include music from Selina Gomez, Halsey, Sia, etc. They incorporate "indietronica" in their songs.The aspects are usually just more generic and heavily recycled.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/24/18 at 3:42 pm

Maybe it was meant to be the sound of the late 2000's / early 2010's instead.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/24/18 at 4:18 pm

This too. A lot of genres are more popular during the turning of decades than through the entire decade.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/24/18 at 4:27 pm

EDM is the definitive sound of this decade but indie is popular too.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/24/18 at 4:27 pm

A lot of people did predict that.  However, Owl City fell off a cliff after Ocean Eyes.  I was a big fan but it seemed that mainstream popularity ruined him.  He went from thoughtful, intelligent lyrics like..

"The stars lean down to kiss you
And I lie awake and miss you
Pour me a heavy dose of atmosphere
'Cause I'll doze off safe and soundly
But I'll miss your arms around me
I'd send a postcard to you, dear
'Cause I wish you were here"

to...

"Whoa oh oh oh, whoa oh oh oh,
It's always a good time
Whoa oh oh oh, whoa oh oh oh,
We don't even have to try, it's always a good time"

He has a new album coming soon but from what I've heard I'm not impressed.  The only thing that comes close to his early stuff was his 2014 EP with Lindsey Sterling.

I miss early Owl City.  His music was integral to that era of my life.

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/24/18 at 5:25 pm

A lot of people did predict that.  However, Owl City fell off a cliff after Ocean Eyes.  I was a big fan but it seemed that mainstream popularity ruined him.  He went from thoughtful, intelligent lyrics like..

"The stars lean down to kiss you
And I lie awake and miss you
Pour me a heavy dose of atmosphere
'Cause I'll doze off safe and soundly
But I'll miss your arms around me
I'd send a postcard to you, dear
'Cause I wish you were here"

to...

"Whoa oh oh oh, whoa oh oh oh,
It's always a good time
Whoa oh oh oh, whoa oh oh oh,
We don't even have to try, it's always a good time"

He has a new album coming soon but from what I've heard I'm not impressed.  The only thing that comes close to his early stuff was his 2014 EP with Lindsey Sterling.

I miss early Owl City.  His music was integral to that era of my life.

They say you have a lifetime to compose your debut work and only a fraction of that time to follow it up. He had years, maybe even a decade or two, to refine Ocean Eyes. I guess he just can't follow up in a pinch.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/24/18 at 5:49 pm

Indie never truly faded away here in Australia. In fact, it's remained as popular as it was in the Early 2010s. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ernVvrYH9vg

^ This is actually a German song. Interestingly enough, it managed to peak at #10 here in Late 2016/Early 2017, but it didn't even chart in the US, UK or New Zealand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXXD1Qxpisw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKlgCk3IGBg

Written By: duenas8 on 01/26/18 at 1:29 am

So glad you mentioned, that’s probably my favorite period of music in general. I enjoyed a lot listening to MGMT, Foster The People, etc. in those years

This Naked & Famous’ song is one of my anthems of the early 2010’s

0YuSg4mts9E

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/28/18 at 6:01 pm

I don't honestly hear Owl City influences in Sia or Selena Gomez. I might be missing something obvious, but Owl City's music had that early 2000s Space Channel 5 vibe to it.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/28/18 at 11:52 pm

I don't honestly hear Owl City influences in Sia or Selena Gomez. I might be missing something obvious, but Owl City's music had that early 2000s Space Channel 5 vibe to it.

Owl City is kind of a unique act.  "Indietronica" is probably the best genre description but he is kind of his own thing, both in the sound and the lyrics.  One thing that sets Owl City apart, on his early albums at least, was how deep and complex the lyrics were.  Owl City was most known for using unique, memorable adjectives to describe common things.  For instance, "Peppermint Winter," "Vanilla Twilight," or "Alligator Sky."  I can't think of anything else I've heard that sounds similar.

Owl City is a late '00s/early '10s fad that people loved to hate back when it was popular but everybody remembers fondly today.

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/29/18 at 6:29 am

Was it really popular to hate them? I dunno, I kinda liked the debut album from the get-go.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/29/18 at 10:28 am

Was it really popular to hate them? I dunno, I kinda liked the debut album from the get-go.

A lot of people did but wouldn't admit it, especially guys. Thinking of my current guy friends, there is no way I would put on Owl City in their presence.

Check for new replies or respond here...