inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How much time has to pass before you can use the phrase "Back in the Day"?

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/24/18 at 11:42 pm

Recently I've been revisiting YouTube videos from 2008, 2009, and 2010. On all the videos I went to there were teens/children leaving comments like "I loved this video back in the day, when I was 8!" "YouTube was better back in the day!"

2008 and 2009 don't feel that distant to me and 2010 wasn't even 10 years ago. So when these kids say "back in the day" it sounds really silly to me. Plus they're so young, it just seems odd that they're using that phrase. I will be 25 later this year and I don't even feel comfortable using this phrase yet lol. It just seems premature. I think maybe in another 5-10 years I'll start talking about how things were "back in the day." 

There are really no rules to using this phrase but in your own opinion how much time has to pass or how old should someone be or before they start saying it?

Subject: Re: How much time has to pass before you can use the phrase "Back in the Day"?

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/25/18 at 1:38 am

For me personally, I feel like I can get away when saying back in the day when referring to some over 20 something years ago. I don't use the phrase around boomers.  ;D

Subject: Re: How much time has to pass before you can use the phrase "Back in the Day"?

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/25/18 at 5:10 am

It’s not just teenagers, it’s young adults of now as well who use it. I can see why. YouTube really was bettter back in the day. ;)

Written By: Howard on 01/25/18 at 5:23 am

Recently I've been revisiting YouTube videos from 2008, 2009, and 2010. On all the videos I went to there were teens/children leaving comments like "I loved this video back in the day, when I was 8!" "YouTube was better back in the day!"

2008 and 2009 don't feel that distant to me and 2010 wasn't even 10 years ago. So when these kids say "back in the day" it sounds really silly to me. Plus they're so young, it just seems odd that they're using that phrase. I will be 25 later this year and I don't even feel comfortable using this phrase yet lol. It just seems premature. I think maybe in another 5-10 years I'll start talking about how things were "back in the day." 

There are really no rules to using this phrase but in your own opinion how much time has to pass or how old should someone be or before they start saying it?

I would say to wait about 20-30 years.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/25/18 at 6:10 am

That's cute!  ;D For real though, back in the day to them would be 8 years old, it feels like forever ago by the time you're...not even high school honestly.

Written By: ofkx on 01/25/18 at 7:11 am

30-40 years ago. I feel like it’s something that 60 year olds say.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/25/18 at 8:11 am

At the latest, the late 90's. 1997, 1998, 1999.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/25/18 at 8:17 am

I think the most lenient of the use of the phrase ‘back in the day’ is appropriate is 20 years, and even that’s pushing it. When I think ‘back in the day’, I just picture my Boomer parents talking about their youths in the 70’s & 80’s. Not so much my childhood in the early 2000s ;D.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/25/18 at 8:36 am

Minimum 20 years. Anything in the 2000s is not "back in the day".  A 50 year old talking about when they were 20 is "back in the day". An 18 year old talking about when they were 12 is not. It would sound a little silly, I think.  An 18 year old talking about when they were 8, for example, would be more "back when I was a kid" than "back in the day". But it's all a bit subjective.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/25/18 at 8:55 am

Minimum 20 years. Anything in the 2000s is not "back in the day".  A 50 year old talking about when they were 20 is "back in the day". An 18 year old talking about when they were 12 is not. It would sound a little silly, I think.  An 18 year old talking about when they were 8, for example, would be more "back when I was a kid" than "back in the day". But it's all a bit subjective.

I agree 100% . I've also seen people on YouTube refer to music from the early to mid 2000s as "old school" music. :o
I would only call those songs throwbacks not old school.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/25/18 at 12:03 pm

There's no rule for this. It can be 2 years or it can be 30 years depending on your age.

Written By: John Titor on 01/25/18 at 12:18 pm

The early 2000s is 100% back in the day

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/25/18 at 12:39 pm

Have we established if "back in the day" is the same as "back in my day"? If so, I think people considering the early 2000s "back in the day" might be a little more hesitant (unless they weren't born yet), because "back in my day" clearly makes one sound old. 

Written By: 2001 on 01/25/18 at 12:45 pm

It depends on the person you're talking to or what you're talking about. I'll use "back in the day" when talking about 2009 or 2010 with my 2005 born sister. I use "back in the day" when talking with my family about the house we used to live in 2006-2011 which we're all nostalgic for (the neighbourhood, not the years).

If I'm talking to someone twice my age I'm not going to use the word ever even if I'm talking about the late '90s haha.

Written By: John Titor on 01/25/18 at 12:50 pm

Have we established if "back in the day" is the same as "back in my day"? If so, I think people considering the early 2000s "back in the day" might be a little more hesitant (unless they weren't born yet), because "back in my day" clearly makes one sound old.

in middle school/high in early 2000s

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/25/18 at 12:56 pm

I consider those two phrases to be different. "Back in my day" is more personal and lenient imo.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/25/18 at 3:54 pm

I would say to wait about 20-30 years.
At least that length of time, may be 40+ years, I would say. I have used "back in my day" for that period of time before.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/25/18 at 4:13 pm

I always say "back in the day" for something as little as 10 years ago.

Written By: 2001 on 01/25/18 at 4:38 pm

I always say "back in the day" for something as little as 10 years ago.

Be mindful who you say that around because to me 2008 is definitely not a "back in the day" ;D

I remember when my 1997 born friend talked about Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008 video game) as "back then" in 2017 and that just made me realize how young he was ;D

I really think it's purely age dependant. I wouldn't talk about the late '90s as "back in the day" if I was talking to someone who is 60 and was 40 back then. If I was talking to someone who was 25-30, then I think it's more appropriate.

Written By: unicornic on 01/25/18 at 4:49 pm

For me, anything 2012 and earlier counts as ‘back in my day’ my life was very different.

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 01/25/18 at 9:06 pm

It's a phrase that should only be used for pre-2000 years.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/25/18 at 9:20 pm

The late 80's??  ???

Written By: Howard on 01/26/18 at 7:11 am

30-40 years ago. I feel like it’s something that 60 year olds say.

or "back in my day".  ;D

Written By: Lizardmatum on 01/26/18 at 10:38 am

I read this and someone I know instantly comes to mind. He uses 'Back in the Day' to describe things that happened as little as 4/3 years ago  ;D

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/26/18 at 10:42 am

I read this and someone I know instantly comes to mind. He uses 'Back in the Day' to describe things that happened as little as 4/3 years ago  ;D

lol I would cringe every time he said that.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/26/18 at 10:53 am

lol I would cringe every time he said that.

I wouldn't. I did that too at one point when I was younger.

Written By: 2001 on 01/27/18 at 10:35 am

I wouldn't. I did that too at one point when I was younger back in the day.

How fast does your life change where what you were 2-3 years ago was so different? :P

Written By: 2001 on 01/27/18 at 10:37 am

or "back in my day".  ;D

"Back in my day" better be something pre-1980 or else it's going to be a huge eye roll from me. Also I can't believe 1980 is almost 40 years ago.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/27/18 at 12:18 pm

How fast does your life change where what you were 2-3 years ago was so different? :P

When I was 13, looking back at when I was 10 was "back in the day" for me. Now it is everything before age 14. It all depends on one's age.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/18 at 2:18 pm

I wouldn't. I did that too at one point when I was younger.

We all say that when we're discussing nostalgia.

Written By: John Titor on 04/25/18 at 1:10 am

9 years

Written By: Dundee on 04/25/18 at 2:24 am

Like Slowpoke said multiple times in this thread, it's all context-based and dependent on who you're talking to. "Back in the Day" can be used when you're talking to a kid, but not to someone twice your age.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/25/18 at 2:30 am

When speaking to someone of the same age, "back in our day" is said.

Written By: Wobo on 04/25/18 at 4:53 pm

I just use "Back Then".

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 04/25/18 at 4:55 pm

IMO, anyone under the age of 40 who says "back in the day" deserves no credibility.

Written By: Wobo on 04/25/18 at 4:56 pm

IMO, anyone under the age of 40 who says "back in the day" deserves no credibility.

Anyone under 30 imo.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 04/25/18 at 11:32 pm

I'm 21 and I use when I'm talking to kids serveal years younger when talking about my childhood because it just blows my mind how techonolgy is so intergrated with today's teens compared to when I was a teen. When I was in high school nobody used  ipads in the classroom, everyone owned a fliphone  at some point in our lives, and we witness the transtion between sd and hd.

Written By: Alexander1956 on 04/26/18 at 5:03 am

At least 25-30 years.

Written By: Howard on 04/26/18 at 5:29 am

What about if you're over the age of 40? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/18 at 5:32 am

What about if you're over the age of 40? ???
Please refer to my above reply.

Written By: SpyroKev on 04/26/18 at 9:30 am

Depressive.

From the way they sound now, I don't want the 2000s to be "Back in the day" or "old school" I agree with you. I like throwback and even classic.

Written By: That 2004 vibe on 04/26/18 at 10:59 am

Depressive.

From the way they sound now, I don't want the 2000s to be "Back in the day" or "old school" I agree with you. I like throwback and even classic.

there are many y2k stations on sirus

Written By: karen on 04/26/18 at 11:12 am

Anyone under 30 imo.

My 16 year old son said it the other day, but to be fair to him he was talking about something that happened to the ancient Greeks!

Written By: piecesof93 on 08/16/18 at 9:16 am

I recently saw someone refer to 2011 as back in the day. It kinda bothers me because my high school days were not "back in the day."

Written By: xris on 08/16/18 at 9:35 am

Well for me 2011 is back in the day. Even 2013 seems like ages ago for me. Since then I've lived in 3 other countries in 4 different cities (and 6 different homes), visited 4 other countries, got a Master's degree, changed 2 jobs, lost my virginity, went hiking for the first time, watched my second movie at the cinema since the early 2000s, did a sleepover for the first time in my life, got on a boat for the first time, saw a castle for the first time, my dad changed 3 cars since then, etc. So yeah, even though I'm 30 for me 2011 certainly is back in the day.

Written By: Wobo on 08/16/18 at 9:55 am

20 years seems like the right amount, i use "back in " not back in the day. Plus i can't really say back in the day since i'm only 14 but it depends a 21 year old can refer 2007 as back in the day because he was 10 in that year.

Written By: piecesof93 on 08/16/18 at 9:59 am

20 years seems like the right amount, i use "back in " not back in the day. Plus i can't really say back in the day since i'm only 14 but it depends a 21 year old can refer 2007 as back in the day because he was 10 in that year.

A 21 year old using that phrase is cringe. At least be 30 for christ sake  ;D

Written By: Wobo on 08/16/18 at 10:05 am

A 21 year old using that phrase is cringe. At least be 30 for christ sake  ;D

Well it depends imo.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/16/18 at 10:36 am

A lot of people use "back in the day" to mean "when I was young/younger".

So in that sense, you have to at least be 18 years old.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/16/18 at 10:43 am

Unless you are using it to provide historical background (like the 1920's for example), you probably have to be at least 30-35 years old before you could really say "back in the day".

Written By: Howard on 08/16/18 at 3:44 pm

Maybe wait about 30 years before you can use the phrase.

Written By: 2001 on 08/16/18 at 4:40 pm

Considering what gets called old around here, I would recommend 99% of the people on this board simply avoid the phrase in public. ;D

Written By: Dundee on 08/16/18 at 4:49 pm

Considering what gets called old around here, I would recommend 99% of the people on this board simply avoid the phrase in public. ;D

Back in my day iPhones still had headphone jacks!http://rs63.pbsrc.com/albums/h159/zarnic1/smiley/smiley-old2.gif~c200

Written By: Slim95 on 08/18/18 at 8:47 pm

Back in my day we used MSN Messaging to chat with friends and Facebook didn't exist. :P

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/18/18 at 9:03 pm

I'll say 15 years, I mean just look at how different the world is compared to 2003. Having Internet back then was considered a luxury now it's a given to have internet and high speed internet at that. Owning a cellphone while common, still only used for calling, but now we pretty much eat, sleep and breath through our phones. In 2003, social media was a new concept, now it's how we talk to each other while we're away. I think 15 years is a good marker since how crazy technology has progressed.

Written By: exodus08 on 08/19/18 at 12:39 am

It's a phrase that should only be used for pre-2000 years.

pre 1999

Written By: Howard on 08/19/18 at 7:23 am

Back in my day we used MSN Messaging to chat with friends and Facebook didn't exist. :P

Back in my day, we chatted face to face long before Facebook or chat rooms even existed. :P

Check for new replies or respond here...