inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think we will see a full-fledged pop punk revival before 2020?

Written By: bchris02 on 01/29/18 at 10:22 am

People are just itching for a pop punk revival, yet nothing seems to have stuck.  Note that by revival, I am referring to the resurgence of the genre's relevance in Top 40 and on Top 40 radio.  Pop punk has already seen a revival among rock fans and has been going steady for quite some time.  It has not however had any success on Top 40 radio. Even EDM with pop-punk vocals hasn't seemed to take off (and I thought if there was to be a pop punk revival that's how it would start, to ease the transition back to full-fledged guitar music).

What are your thoughts?  Do you think we will see a full-fledged pop punk revival before 2020?  Or, do you think it will remain a niche genre going forward?  Or, does it just need more time, possibly returning to the mainstream at some point in the next decade?

Subject: Re: Do you think we will see a full-fledged pop punk revival before 2020?

Written By: unicornic on 01/29/18 at 10:45 am

It may happen next decade. I can’t see it happening with only a year left of the ‘10s. We might see a change in music this year or next but not a pop punk revival.

Subject: Re: Do you think we will see a full-fledged pop punk revival before 2020?

Written By: 2001 on 01/29/18 at 11:02 am

It's not coming back. I like listening to early 2000s pop punk, but when I listen to mid-2010s pop punk it's seems so generic and "done before". A few songs here and there are good but it's very formulaic.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/29/18 at 11:21 am

It's not coming back. I like listening to early 2000s pop punk, but when I listen to mid-2010s pop punk it's seems so generic and "done before". A few songs here and there are good but it's very formulaic.

I agree with this completely and I think that's the real problem with it and why I am not as pumped about a pop punk revival as a lot of people on this board are.  I don't see it as anything more than a nostalgia genre.

Written By: TheKid99 on 01/29/18 at 12:45 pm

Yes, and you will see many bands break out into the mainstream possibly.

Many bands are really putting up alot of good stuff out their and it is stuff that they have artistically invested themselves in.

Example of a good Mid 2010s Pop Punk / Alt Rock Songs

Motion Sickness - Neck Deep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMorM6M2IlI

Gone - Knuckle Puck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOcRH5GbqTQ

Senses Fail - Double Cross
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHI3yhoWc8I

Written By: John Titor on 01/29/18 at 1:37 pm

Q4 of 2018

Written By: bchris02 on 01/29/18 at 2:48 pm

Yes, and you will see many bands break out into the mainstream possibly.

Many bands are really putting up alot of good stuff out their and it is stuff that they have artistically invested themselves in.

Example of a good Mid 2010s Pop Punk / Alt Rock Songs

Motion Sickness - Neck Deep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMorM6M2IlI

Gone - Knuckle Puck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOcRH5GbqTQ

Senses Fail - Double Cross
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHI3yhoWc8I

Yet, none of these have performed well in mainstream charts.

I really think a pop punk revival is wishful thinking by rock fans and Millennials who liked ca. 2000 pop punk, and Slowpoke hit the nail on the head in terms of why.  The genre was played out in the '00s and while there is some good stuff out there, most of it has a "been there done that" feel to it.  It might happen as a short-lived nostalgia fad (similar to the swing revival of the 1990s) but it won't last, especially if artists don't put a fresh spin on the genre.  I don't think something can sound like it came straight out of 2003 and be successful.

That's not to say it's bad music or isn't successful within its niche because it is.  I have a hard time seeing it crossing over and dominating the airwaves again like it did ca 1999-2003.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/29/18 at 3:01 pm

I wish but it probably wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable as it was in it's prime.

Written By: pink.panda_v3 on 01/29/18 at 3:09 pm

Most likely not. We'll probably have another music genre dominating the charts, a brand new genre. :P

Written By: XYkid on 01/29/18 at 4:37 pm

Unless there can be a twist put on the genre that will make it fresh, I can't see it happening.
If anything it will probably be a short lived nostalgia fad when early 2000s nostalgia hits its peak

Written By: bchris02 on 01/29/18 at 5:00 pm

Unless there can be a twist put on the genre that will make it fresh, I can't see it happening.
If anything it will probably be a short lived nostalgia fad when early 2000s nostalgia hits its peak

I agree completely.  If we can get a new genre with pop punk influences, then it's possible.  If it sounds like it came straight out of 2003 it might barely break into the mainstream due to the nostalgia factor but it won't have staying power.

Written By: TheKid99 on 01/29/18 at 5:55 pm

Yet, none of these have performed well in mainstream charts.

I really think a pop punk revival is wishful thinking by rock fans and Millennials who liked ca. 2000 pop punk, and Slowpoke hit the nail on the head in terms of why.  The genre was played out in the '00s and while there is some good stuff out there, most of it has a "been there done that" feel to it.  It might happen as a short-lived nostalgia fad (similar to the swing revival of the 1990s) but it won't last, especially if artists don't put a fresh spin on the genre.  I don't think something can sound like it came straight out of 2003 and be successful.

That's not to say it's bad music or isn't successful within its niche because it is.  I have a hard time seeing it crossing over and dominating the airwaves again like it did ca 1999-2003.

See here's the thing. Whether or not they break into the charts. Doesn't matter. As long as they're making a living.

And that's what I like about this generation. THEY DON'T CARE IF THEY'RE CHARTING OR NOT. 

And I honestly don't give two sheeshs if they're not mainstream. Just because something isn't mass accepted by everyone doesn't mean it's not good. And it's good for me going to concerts. Their tickets won't sell out in 10 minutes. They play in down to earth venues.

These new generation bands have a million times more talent than those stupid sheeshty trap rappers who act like their all that and make more money for absolutely no reason.

Written By: Milk on 01/31/18 at 3:09 pm

Q4 of 2018

How do you know?

Written By: John Titor on 01/31/18 at 3:33 pm

How do you know?

keynote for music labels that was streamed online

Written By: Lizardmatum on 01/31/18 at 4:07 pm

I somehow doubt it. I personally would prefer something new

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/31/18 at 4:10 pm

Early 2000s nostalgia won't really start until 2030 so no. For some weird reason, people keep fetishizing the 80s/synthwave style over and over and over and over and over in the 2010s even though 80s nostalgia *already happened* in the 2000s and it's supposed to be a 20-year nostalgia cycle, yet they're still doing it (Stranger Things, Ready Player One, Kung Fury, etc.) to a decade that was 30 years ago instead of 20, and didn't even get to the 90s until very recently (Jurassic World, Jumanji, Fuller House, Power Rangers, etc.).

So there won't be any early 2000s nostalgia until 2030 in earnest because people screwed up the 20-year cycle with their 80s fetish that oddly didn't go flaccid in the 2010s.

Written By: Milk on 01/31/18 at 6:09 pm

Link?

Written By: TheKid99 on 02/01/18 at 7:03 am

What does that mean?

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/01/18 at 8:22 am

I don't remember which one of you said it and where, but no single style of anything, be it musical genres, video games, movies, or shows, will become "dominant" in pop culture unless and until it brings something new to the table. It can't just be a rehash, or it'll just fizzle out after a year or two. There needs to be some innovation, however small.

Written By: John Titor on 02/01/18 at 10:53 am

What does that mean?

a keynote for music labels

Written By: TheKid99 on 02/01/18 at 11:32 am

Interesting..

Written By: Milk on 02/01/18 at 4:56 pm

care to explain in more detail? I'm quite interested in this. Do you work for the music industry?

Check for new replies or respond here...