inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is popular music relevant anymore?

Written By: 80sfan on 02/04/18 at 2:54 pm

This is a question for those 19 and younger. I don't go out a lot, and I'm not a teenager anymore.

But is pop (popular music) relevant anymore? Do you young people (I'm only 29, but still...) still talk about songs that
are on the radio anymore? Do you guys/girls still talk about popular artists that are on the radio, Billboard Hot 100, and Billboard 200 (for albums), anymore?

Or has popular music become irrelevant, and no longer important to those 19 and younger, anymore?

I ask this, because the two highest selling albums last year, Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift, sold like 2 million copies (look for precise numbers online) each! These numbers would have been pitiful back in 1999.

Subject: Re: Is popular music relevant anymore?

Written By: John Titor on 02/04/18 at 2:56 pm

This is a question for those 19 and younger. I don't go out a lot, and I'm not a teenager anymore.

But is pop (popular music) relevant anymore? Do you young people (I'm only 29, but still...) still talk about songs that
are on the radio anymore? Do you guys/girls still talk about popular artists that are on the radio, Billboard Hot 100, and Billboard 200 (for albums), anymore?

Or has popular music become irrelevant, and no longer important to those 19 and younger, anymore?

I ask this, because the two highest selling albums last year, Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift, sold like 2 million copies (look for precise numbers online) each! These numbers would have been pitiful back in 1999.

not 19 around same age as u and yes popular music is very relevant

Written By: 80sfan on 02/04/18 at 2:59 pm

not 19 around same age as u and yes popular music is very relevant

I also sometimes forget that Youtube is the hot new thing, these days. Actually, it's been the hot new thing since like 2006!  :D

Written By: Howard on 02/04/18 at 3:12 pm

I'm almost in my mid 40's and I still think what's popular right now on the charts is still relevant these days.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/04/18 at 3:14 pm

I'm almost in my mid 40's and I still think what's popular right now on the charts is still relevant these days.

I guess. I mean, people still talk about Taylor Swift.

Written By: Milk on 02/04/18 at 7:28 pm

with streaming and the internet people don't need to buy albums anymore

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 02/04/18 at 7:57 pm

Kids/Teens generally don't listen to the radio anymore. They listen to their favourite songs on Spotify, iTunes and other streaming apps. Popular music is still relevant, however it's not as collectively consumed. People have different tastes in music and now that there are so many ways to consume music, there is no longer a collective interest in Top-40 chart music, at least not to the same extent as previous decades.

Written By: 2001 on 02/04/18 at 8:15 pm

Not under 20. Most my friends are 22-28. They listen to tons of rap/hip hop. Trap rap, mumble rap, etc. whatever people call it. ;D

They're always sharing their trap rap playlists on Spotify/Facebook.

Kendrick Lamar's album was huge. I invariably learnt most the lyrics to HUMBLE and DNA with how many times it got quoted haha. One of my friends (27) is a huge Bruno Mars fangirl. I think one of my friends went to a Selena Gomez concert IIRC from an Instagram post.

Blank Space/Shake It Off and all the songs off Red were HUGE among my friends back when they came out. That was in 2012-2015 though when most my friends knew the Top 40 by heart. I think interest has waned slowly since then. I don't know if any of them care for Taylor Swift's latest singles. Same with Katy Perry, I don't even think most people even know she released a new album. Rihanna though is the real 2010s queen, she is still very relevant. Even though Work reached #1, I think most people hated it. But if you asked them on the spot if they liked Rihanna, they would still say yes, absolutely! Wild Thoughts was really popular last summer.

Trigger warning for bchris02, I know a lot of my friends loved Ariana Grande's last album. Into You and Side to Side were favourites at parties. So was Sia's Cheap Thrills and Ed Sheeran's Shape Of You.

When it comes to Canadian artists, anything by Drake and Weeknd is loved by default. No one would be caught dead listening Justin Bieber earlier in the decade, but after he released Purpose he's almost universally loved. Despacito and I'm The One were definitely the songs of the summer. I think Alessia Cara and Shawn Mendes are a bit more controversial. I find women love those two but men can't stand them.

No one buys albums. It's all piracy/streaming/YouTube/radio. I don't know anyone who buys their music tbh.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/04/18 at 8:38 pm

October 8, 1988 chart.

https://media.npr.org/assets/img/2013/08/01/1988---billboard-hot-100-singles-chart_wide-1181692be74853bd0bf8fa888ae2733ae79ac585.jpg?s=1400

Written By: duenas8 on 02/04/18 at 8:40 pm

Most of my friends are 17-20 years old and their tastes are more divided, but Popular music is still really relevant, such as Trap, Edm and Hip Hop (Reggaeton in case you live in a hispanic country). Actually Spotify hits are practically the same as Radio hits, so you won’t find a big musical difference between traditional media and social networks hits

Written By: 80sfan on 02/04/18 at 8:45 pm

Not under 20. Most my friends are 22-28. They listen to tons of rap/hip hop. Trap rap, mumble rap, etc. whatever people call it. ;D

They're always sharing their trap rap playlists on Spotify/Facebook.

Kendrick Lamar's album was huge. I invariably learnt most the lyrics to HUMBLE and DNA with how many times it got quoted haha. One of my friends (27) is a huge Bruno Mars fangirl. I think one of my friends went to a Selena Gomez concert IIRC from an Instagram post.

Blank Space/Shake It Off and all the songs off Red were HUGE among my friends back when they came out. That was in 2012-2015 though when most my friends knew the Top 40 by heart. I think interest has waned slowly since then. I don't know if any of them care for Taylor Swift's latest singles. Same with Katy Perry, I don't even think most people even know she released a new album. Rihanna though is the real 2010s queen, she is still very relevant. Even though Work reached #1, I think most people hated it. But if you asked them on the spot if they liked Rihanna, they would still say yes, absolutely! Wild Thoughts was really popular last summer.

Trigger warning for bchris02, I know a lot of my friends loved Ariana Grande's last album. Into You and Side to Side were favourites at parties. So was Sia's Cheap Thrills and Ed Sheeran's Shape Of You.

When it comes to Canadian artists, anything by Drake and Weeknd is loved by default. No one would be caught dead listening Justin Bieber earlier in the decade, but after he released Purpose he's almost universally loved. Despacito and I'm The One were definitely the songs of the summer. I think Alessia Cara and Shawn Mendes are a bit more controversial. I find women love those two but men can't stand them.

No one buys albums. It's all piracy/streaming/YouTube/radio. I don't know anyone who buys their music tbh.

;D

Written By: 80sfan on 02/04/18 at 8:46 pm

In the 90's, the number one album of the year would have sold roughly 7, or 8, million, copies. These days, it's like only 2 million copies.

Written By: Looney Toon on 02/05/18 at 12:35 am

I'd say so. For example popular music influences some of the stuff you'd see on YouTube. For example when Bruno Mars was releasing hit songs I start Ed seeing people on YouTube making Bruno Mars influence d music. And hip hip /rnb seems to have a presence everywhere.

Written By: Howard on 02/05/18 at 5:17 am

On YouTube you can easily store full albums for all artists and listen to the whole record.

Written By: #Infinity on 02/05/18 at 5:23 am

I still buy albums. Usually, I just prefer the feeling of not just physically owning the album, but also financially supporting the artist more directly. In many cases, I'm actually forced to purchase my music on a CD ordered from Amazon because it's not on the American Spotify or iTunes. While I do have a Spotify subscription that's put to decent use, I'm still pretty stuck in the 2000s when it comes to consuming my music. :-X

Written By: 80sfan on 02/05/18 at 8:51 am

I still buy albums, if I like one. Everyone is in 2018, I'm still living in 1998.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/07/18 at 2:53 am

I still buy music. I usually buy a physical copy and a digital copy. However, I'll definitely listen to the entire album online first. If I like more than half of the album, I'll buy it in stores. The last album I purchased was Kelly Clarkson's Meaning of Life. Next on my list is Ro James and (maybe) Justin Timberlake.

For me personally, it is very important to support artists who make r&b music. Trap n' B has dominated urban radio and I would love to get back to r&b I grew up with. So I strongly  support those artists who are going against the grain and are putting out r&b with a more soulful and/or smooth sound (Lloyd, Pleasure
J. Holiday, Mario, etc). Due to the scarcity of that type of r&b music, I am willing (now more than ever), to shell out $10 for an album. I have always purchased music to some extent though.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/07/18 at 8:06 am

It’s funny, I remember waaaay back in 2008 or 2009 I came across an article talking about the increasing tribalism in music, and how there wasn’t a “common language” in music for us young’ns, in the way our forebears might’ve also listened to the Beatles or would know a few GnR songs.

I will try to track it down, but I don’t think this is the case anymore.

Check for new replies or respond here...