inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think guitar solos and longer song intros will ever come back?

Written By: christopher on 02/07/18 at 10:53 am

In top 40 I mean and hit radio? Are they coming back soon or not in your view?
I think our attention spans are becoming shorter and shorter, while impatience is growing which might explain the impatience with wanting to hear the main hook earlier:

Intros that averaged more than 20 seconds in the mid-80s are now only about 5 seconds long, a study found.

https://insights.osu.edu/arts/streaming

But is this true? Were people more patient for waiting in general in the, say, 80's? In cues at the grocery, or waiting for the chorus?
And what about guitar solos, do you think they are avoided because they are not dance-able (I don't agree at all with that, I know lots of pop-rock and rock songs you can dance to)? What is your opinion? I'm fed up with the over-produced, loudness war (no high and lows in the dynamic range, only high, loud tones). Current popular music makes for good disco songs, but it's just not enjoyable to listen to with headphones on, it's so loud in all parts that it often feels anxiety-triggering. I know lots of people that refuse to listen to modern dance music for that reason. Interestingly, disco from the 70s doesn't trigger their music-induced panic attacks. :) Maybe some people are saturated by fake electronic "instruments". Makin' It sounds just more organic than latest dance hits?

Subject: Re: Do you think guitar solos and longer song intros will ever come back?

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/07/18 at 11:40 am

How about playing the air guitar? Lol

Subject: Re: Do you think guitar solos and longer song intros will ever come back?

Written By: christopher on 02/07/18 at 12:10 pm

While everyone bashed Call Me Maybe at least it had violins and was not just full of disposable electronic synths. ;)
I liked the neo-hippie wave with Gotye and the neo disco of Get Lucky and Happy sounded more organic.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/07/18 at 12:13 pm

A few years back Justin Bieber had a huge worldwide with "Love Yourself" which featured a solo guitar, tremendously popular and the guitar is here to stay.

btw, think Ed Sheeran too?

Check for new replies or respond here...