inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is anyone else just tired of the 2010s?

Written By: Milk on 02/07/18 at 11:09 am

I am. I feel like the same things has been happening for the past few years. Everyone has been looking the same for the past few years. It's almost like a broken record now. This restlessness didn't happen for me until like late 2017. Anyone one else?

Subject: Re: Is anyone else just tired of the 2010s?

Written By: John Titor on 02/07/18 at 11:16 am

I am. I feel like the same things has been happening for the past few years. Everyone has been looking the same for the past few years. It's almost like a broken record now. This restlessness didn't happen for me until like late 2017. Anyone one else?

The 2010s tone changed in late 2016, and we have been in the late 2010's culture since

- People being tired of SJW outrage
- Trump
- TRL coming back but sucking
- WWE's brand extension 2.0
-XFL coming back
-  Rap overtaking pop
- Logos on shirts coming back into fashion
-Dad shoe trend
- baggy jeans coming back
- Fuller House
-Return of sitcoms (hallamark #2 network on cable)
- Fatigue of Walking dead type shows

Written By: Milk on 02/07/18 at 11:17 am

The 2010s tone changed in late 2016, and we have been in the late 2010 culture since

Pop culture still sucks. Have you seen the grammys this year? It sucked and the viewership went all the way down.

Written By: John Titor on 02/07/18 at 11:18 am

Pop culture still sucks. Have you seen the grammys this year? It sucked and the viewership went all the way down.

but the culture is not the same as it has been as you said read up I editied my post lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/07/18 at 11:45 am

Not tired just happy to be alive!

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/07/18 at 1:35 pm

I’m more tired of threads like these that complain about the current times.

Seriously, like just be happy that you’re even alive.

Written By: Milk on 02/07/18 at 1:44 pm

It's really hard to be happy during these times you know

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/07/18 at 2:03 pm

I am happy!

Written By: Milk on 02/07/18 at 2:13 pm

I am happy!

Well that's good for you I guess

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/07/18 at 2:14 pm

Well that's good for you I guess
Happy with looking forward to tomorrow.

Written By: Howard on 02/07/18 at 2:19 pm

I know exactly, Why explain a lot if they're tired then don't complain and post about it because no one wants to read whiny posts. ::)

Written By: Milk on 02/07/18 at 2:24 pm

I know exactly, Why explain a lot if they're tired then don't complain and post about it because no one wants to read whiny posts. ::)

If you don't like it then leave  ::)
Don't be rude

Written By: ofkx on 02/07/18 at 2:48 pm

preach

I like the 2010s but I'm really excited about what the 20s have to offer. Even the name sounds cool.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/07/18 at 2:50 pm

preach

I like the 2010s but I'm really excited about what the 20s have to offer. Even the name sounds cool.

Same!

Written By: ofkx on 02/07/18 at 2:58 pm

The 2010s tone changed in late 2016, and we have been in the late 2010's culture since

- People being tired of SJW outrage
- Trump
- TRL coming back but sucking
- WWE's brand extension 2.0
-XFL coming back
-  Rap overtaking pop
- Logos on shirts coming back into fashion
-Dad shoe trend
- baggy jeans coming back
- Fuller House
-Return of sitcoms (hallamark #2 network on cable)

I've seen some people mention this on here but honestly I haven't seen anyone wearing baggy jeans since I was like 9.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/07/18 at 3:09 pm

I've seen some people mention this on here but honestly I haven't seen anyone wearing baggy jeans since I was like 9.

I haven't been seeing baggy jeans at all neither.

But yes overall, the 2010s are played out.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/07/18 at 3:22 pm

By this do you mean prestige shows like Game of Thrones and others with cinema-quality writing and acting? Because I haven’t noticed that. If anything, Stranger Things and Altered Carbon seem to show people are still into that.

Written By: musicguy93 on 02/07/18 at 3:34 pm

By this do you mean prestige shows like Game of Thrones and others with cinema-quality writing and acting? Because I haven’t noticed that. If anything, Stranger Things and Altered Carbon seem to show people are still into that.

I think she means that those types of shows have reached their saturation point. Sure right now people are still into them. But there's a sense we are nearing the end of the whole "dark and serious" trend in TV shows. I think there will always be a place for shows with darker stories if they are done well. But the current "try to be deep, and overly edgy" pretentious crap we are currently seeing, will eventually go away. Only a fool would believe this trend will last forever.

Written By: AndrewShannon on 02/07/18 at 4:43 pm

Where I live, 2017 was the first year where more people wore slimmer pants than baggy ones. Thank Talos it's been over a year since I've seen some ghetto-a$$ with pants so baggy and droopy I could see his crack. Slimmer pants forever! Except shorts. Loose shorts look better than tight ones to me...but I don't like shorts so meh.

I like the change in culture, even though I don't keep up with anything more than what I notice walking outside, or on the internet. I like the more colorful, slimmer and less synthetic-fabric clothes people wear now and online I think things are becoming better in terms of quality, just a better feeling than the drab and depressing and hateful mid 2010s. There is some bad, of course, (rock is still not popular, short hair's still in, neo-Marxism is still big, and lots of internet culture is still stupid like the Tide Pod Challenge and oversaturated meme culture) but overall I think things are better or getting better and I'm glad to see the eventual end of this decade.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 02/07/18 at 5:14 pm

Oh please.  ::) Unless you're experiencing a very difficult time in your personal life, saying that it is very hard to experience any form of happiness is really far-fetched and dramatic. I don't like the 2010s either and I have experienced low points in my life, but I still find reasons to smile and achieve happiness. Just because I don't like 2010s pop culture, doesn't mean that I can't be happy.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 02/07/18 at 5:16 pm

-  Rap overtaking pop

I didn't know Late 2010s culture started back in the Mid 2000s.  ::)

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/07/18 at 5:31 pm

? During the early/mid 2010s, pop was bigger than rap. That was the change he was referring to.

Written By: Milk on 02/07/18 at 5:40 pm

Oh please.  ::) Unless you're experiencing a very difficult time in your personal life, saying that it is very hard to experience any form of happiness is really far-fetched and dramatic. I don't like the 2010s either and I have experienced low points in my life, but I still find reasons to smile and achieve happiness. Just because I don't like 2010s pop culture, doesn't mean that I can't be happy.

the 2010s have been difficult for me in my personal life too. Especially 2014-2017.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/07/18 at 5:50 pm

My own personal life has been very difficult since 2012 and it doesn't appear there is any end in sight.  It has nothing to do with the pop culture though.  It has to do with living in the middle of Trump country with an ultra-homophobic fundamentalist family as well as the fallout from ex-gay conversion therapy.  In 2017 it felt like there might finally be light at the end of the tunnel but 2018 has been yet another awful year so far in my personal life.  Last time I was happy was 2011.  All-in-all I've liked the pop culture of this decade.  2013 and 2014 were the worst years but even then there were things to like.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/07/18 at 6:37 pm

Yeah pop culture absolutely sucks these days! It is nowhere near as good as it was in the 1990s and even the 2000s. Will it ever get better? Who knows, I doubt it. It seems like culture is permanently stuck and will forever suck. And the governments and people on top keep screwing us over but in this decade it is even more apparent given the stupid conflict and rumours of wars.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/07/18 at 6:41 pm

It has. Rap has replaced electronic teen pop as the dominant genre on the radio in the late 2010s.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/07/18 at 6:43 pm

True a lot of people go back to older times now and are obsessed with nostalgia because the culture of today is so bad.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/07/18 at 6:48 pm

True a lot of people go back to older times now and are obsessed with nostalgia because the culture of today is so bad.

That is exactly what I did in 2009.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 02/07/18 at 7:34 pm

My own personal life has been very difficult since 2012 and it doesn't appear there is any end in sight.  It has nothing to do with the pop culture though.  It has to do with living in the middle of Trump country with an ultra-homophobic fundamentalist family as well as the fallout from ex-gay conversion therapy.  In 2017 it felt like there might finally be light at the end of the tunnel but 2018 has been yet another awful year so far in my personal life.  Last time I was happy was 2011.  All-in-all I've liked the pop culture of this decade.  2013 and 2014 were the worst years but even then there were things to like.

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences. I can understand how someone's personal life can influence their perception of a certain era. The 2010s haven't particularly been great for me personally either. What I meant in my earlier post, was how ludicrous it is to suggest that people can't find any happiness in their life, just because the pop culture isn't any good.

? During the early/mid 2010s, pop was bigger than rap. That was the change he was referring to.

I agree that pop had a bigger presence than rap/hip-hop on the charts at the time. However, I really don't think it's indicative of a "change", to be honest. Rap was very popular in the Early 2010s and I would argue that it has been just as popular as pop music since the Mid 2000s, at least. It's not as if Rap is a new genre of music which has suddenly emerged onto the charts.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 02/07/18 at 7:44 pm

I am, but I know that subtle little changes are happening as we speak.

During this time in the '80s, late 1987/early 1988, folks were saying the same things. When will big hair and glam metal just fade away? Flash forward 4 or so years, and their wishes were fulfilled. So just wait. I do honestly think there will be some '10s spillover into the early '20s but, by, 2023 (by which time I'll be in my mid 20s), I cannot honestly picture trap rap and iPhone Culture remaining prevalent.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/07/18 at 8:47 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences. I can understand how someone's personal life can influence their perception of a certain era. The 2010s haven't particularly been great for me personally either. What I meant in my earlier post, was how ludicrous it is to suggest that people can't find any happiness in their life, just because the pop culture isn't any good.

I agree that pop had a bigger presence than rap/hip-hop on the charts at the time. However, I really don't think it's indicative of a "change", to be honest. Rap was very popular in the Early 2010s and I would argue that it has been just as popular as pop music since the Mid 2000s, at least. It's not as if Rap is a new genre of music which has suddenly emerged onto the charts.

Yes but the difference is trap rap did not exist in the mid 2000s and does now

Written By: Slim95 on 02/07/18 at 8:48 pm

During this time in the '80s, late 1987/early 1988, folks were saying the same things. When will big hair and glam metal just fade away? Flash forward 4 or so years, and their wishes were fulfilled. So just wait. I do honestly think there will be some '10s spillover into the early '20s but, by, 2023 (by which time I'll be in my mid 20s), I cannot honestly picture trap rap and iPhone Culture remaining prevalent.

Yeah something tells me 2023 will be quite different from now.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/07/18 at 8:49 pm

This has always been the case.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/07/18 at 9:13 pm

This has always been the case.

No it has definitely increased once the new millennium hit and when online video became available so people can access old videos in an instant.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 02/07/18 at 9:27 pm

When I mentioned that Late 2010s culture started in the Mid 2000s, I was being sarcastic.

Written By: Wobo on 02/07/18 at 9:29 pm

preach

Same I can imagine it.
"20s Kids"

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/07/18 at 9:54 pm

.. No. Its strange. Its going to suck for me when we're a decade from the 2000s.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/07/18 at 9:56 pm

.. No. Its strange. Its going to suck for me when we're a decade from the 2000s.

I'm sorry to say, but time marches on.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/07/18 at 10:31 pm

I really want the 2000s back. Like just do a do-over. '00s! Won't you stay with me!? :P

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/07/18 at 11:41 pm

Yes but it signals a change from the mid 2010s, therefore being something more to distinguish between the two eras.

Written By: Emman on 02/08/18 at 1:23 am

Actually trap rap has existed since the early 2000s, I remember trap rap being pretty popular in the mid 2000s with rappers like Young Jeezy, T.I., ect.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/08/18 at 1:59 am

Actually trap rap has existed since the early 2000s, I remember trap rap being pretty popular in the mid 2000s with rappers like Young Jeezy, T.I., ect.

Trap has been around since the late 90s, however it wasn't as mainstream until the mid/late 2010s.

Written By: ofkx on 02/08/18 at 4:53 am

Nah, it's just that old stuff is a lot more accessible now than it was a decade or two ago so it's a lot easier to be nostalgic.

Written By: Howard on 02/08/18 at 5:33 am

and I'm one of them.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/08/18 at 8:56 am

It has evolved and it sounds quite different than it sounded before.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/08/18 at 8:57 am

Trap has been around since the late 90s, however it wasn't as mainstream until the mid/late 2010s.

Trap got popular before that in like 2011 too. But it's not about being mainstream. It's about the genre evolving and sounding different.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/08/18 at 8:58 am

Nah, it's just that old stuff is a lot more accessible now than it was a decade or two ago so it's a lot easier to be nostalgic.

That is true but a lot of people hate current pop culture so they look to the old. That plays a part too.

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/08/18 at 10:19 am

I'm sorry to say, but time marches on.

I know that.
I really want the 2000s back. Like just do a do-over. '00s! Won't you stay with me!? :P

So much yes. I'm not ready. Haha

Written By: kingofthetemple on 02/08/18 at 12:00 pm

Yeah the 2010s are pretty boring even though 2017 was probably the best 10s year yet altogether the 2010s feel very repetitive at this point the 2010s are too consistent.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/08/18 at 2:44 pm

I'd actually rather time travel to the next decade to see how things will be like.

Written By: 2001 on 02/08/18 at 4:40 pm

2018 is already as different from 2015 and before as can be. What exactly do you expect to change when the calendar turns to January 1, 2020?

Written By: bchris02 on 02/08/18 at 5:03 pm

I wish I could have a do-over of this decade.  Send me back to December 31, 2009.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/08/18 at 5:34 pm

Yes or no it dosen't matter.  Living through the 2010's sure beats the alternative

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/08/18 at 5:42 pm

I wish I could have a do-over of this decade.  Send me back to December 31, 2009.

Hear hear! And by that time I already was dating my wife so I'm good there.

Written By: 2001 on 02/08/18 at 5:58 pm

Hear hear! And by that time I already was dating my wife so I'm good there.

Too long ago for me. I was a Donald Trump fan ;D ;D ;D

Written By: superblyexhausted on 02/08/18 at 11:51 pm

Exactly. That's what all of these threads end up reading like: someone expressing their exhaustion with the current trends, acting as if it's an original observation.

Written By: Howard on 02/09/18 at 7:11 am

I'd actually rather time travel to the next decade to see how things will be like.

I'd rather time travel to the past.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/09/18 at 7:34 am

I'd rather time travel to the past.
Anybody wish to a buy a flux capacitor?

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/09/18 at 7:46 am

You’ll get tons of takers here.

Written By: Bab2781 on 02/09/18 at 8:00 am

The 2010s is definitely the worst decade I've lived in.

Written By: Howard on 02/09/18 at 8:06 am

Anybody wish to a buy a flux capacitor?

Where do they sell one?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/09/18 at 8:16 am

Where do they sell one?
eBay?

Written By: Howard on 02/09/18 at 3:12 pm

eBay?

I'll check into that.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/11/18 at 12:52 am

The pop culture today is so terrible it's actually embarrassing lol. There has never been a worse time for culture and I feel it will only get worse from here. It's not like pop culture can go back to being great like in the '90s, too late for that the internet and general attitudes had made sure of it. So be it, just enjoy life even if the pop culture is trashy garbage.  8-P  :P

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/11/18 at 2:22 am

The pop culture today is so terrible it's actually embarrassing lol. There has never been a worse time for culture and I feel it will only get worse from here. It's not like pop culture can go back to being great like in the '90s, too late for that the internet and general attitudes had made sure of it. So be it, just enjoy life even if the pop culture is trashy garbage.  8-P  :P

I believe it can get better.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/11/18 at 4:30 am

I remember people in the 90s hating 90s culture.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/11/18 at 5:33 am

I Don't blame them

Written By: J. Rob on 02/11/18 at 6:20 am

So do I......I've seen three full decades of this. It never gets old. Funny thing is, a lot of the people complaining about the 2010s are 90s babies who want to go back to the "good ol days" of Ying Yang Twins and Soulja Boy. It's hilarious

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/11/18 at 6:59 am

So do I......I've seen three full decades of this. It never gets old. Funny thing is, a lot of the people complaining about the 2010s are 90s babies who want to go back to the "good ol days" of Ying Yang Twins and Soulja Boy. It's hilarious

What's also hilarious is how you chose the worst artists to represent our "good ol days." 

But this song here was a favorite!
https://youtu.be/lLdv3ngkeJs

Written By: ofkx on 02/11/18 at 10:55 am

I still don't get what's so great about the 90s? It's a normal decade with nothing special whatsoever.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/11/18 at 12:30 pm

How about we just leave it at there being great and terrible aspects of every decade, so let’s make this forum a place to celebrate each of their virtues and critique each of their faults?

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/11/18 at 12:35 pm

How about we just leave it at there being great and terrible aspects of every decade, so let’s make this forum a place to celebrate each of their virtues and critique each of their faults?

I agree 100%.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/11/18 at 12:42 pm

I still don't get what's so great about the 90s? It's a normal decade with nothing special whatsoever.

The 90s are an awesome decade.

Written By: Howard on 02/11/18 at 2:36 pm

I agree 100%.

I agree the same.

Written By: 2001 on 02/11/18 at 2:40 pm

Exactly, don't people get tired about whining 24/7? I hate the 2000s as much as a lot of you guys hate the 2010s, but even in the 2005 thread I manage to muster saying something like "I liked Prison Break". Better than going into every thread about 2005 and ruining it with whining with the same regurgitated complaints (that people say about every other decade they lived through – making the "critiques" completely unoriginal).

Written By: kingofthetemple on 02/11/18 at 2:47 pm

The 90s are an awesome decade.
yeah the 90s were better pop culturally than the 00s and especially the 2010s but I enjoyed 00s culture too but haven't really enjoyed 2010s culture too much.

Written By: Howard on 02/11/18 at 2:49 pm

Exactly, don't people get tired about whining 24/7? I hate the 2000s as much as a lot of you guys hate the 2010s, but even in the 2005 thread I manage to muster saying something like "I liked Prison Break". Better than going into every thread about 2005 and ruining it with whining with the same regurgitated complaints (that people say about every other decade they lived through – making the "critiques" completely unoriginal).

Yes I know the feeling. ::)

Written By: wixness on 02/11/18 at 2:56 pm

Pretty much. Bring back T9 keyboards and bring in the genderless society I've been hoping for since the dawn of this decade. The only thing that makes me like the 2010s are computers and some of the games.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/11/18 at 3:09 pm

Because the pop culture totally sucks and everyone is tired of it!  :P

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/11/18 at 5:03 pm

If you're tired of what's out there, produce something and put it out there. Change the culture. It takes a lot of people like you to change it, but it has to start with at least one.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/11/18 at 6:06 pm

If you're tired of what's out there, produce something and put it out there. Change the culture. It takes a lot of people like you to change it, but it has to start with at least one.

If there's going to be a 'pop culture savior', it sure as heck won't be me!  ;D

It'll take a person who is innovative enough, like Michael Jackson, to pull it off.  :D  :D  :D

Written By: Slim95 on 02/11/18 at 6:11 pm

I don't think it would make any difference. There are a ton of people like that in this world of 7 billion people. The record companies only push what they want. They are the ones who ultimitely decide what sound should be popular and they control and push it out. I think it is an illusion to think the people control what is popular (I'm talking about strictly mainstream stuff here). Whatever the entertainment and music industry decides wants to be popular for the people to hear for whatever reason, that's what gets popular. So me and others have no control over it or can change it. Sure we can all listen to underground music and get involved in non-mainstream stuff. But I am talking about mainstream pop culture which sucks now and in my opinion (I know a lot of people disagree with me) has not totally sucked before in prior decades.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/11/18 at 6:12 pm

I don't think it would make any difference. There are a ton of people like that in this world of 7 billion people. The record companies only push what they want. They are the ones who ultimitely decide what sound should be popular and they control and push it out. I think it is an illusion to think the people control what is popular (I'm talking about strictly mainstream stuff here). Whatever the entertainment and musi  industry decides wants to be popular for the people to hear for whatever reason, that's what gets popular. So me and others have no control over it or can change it.

We've been in 'dumb culture', musically, since the late 90's.  :P

Written By: Slim95 on 02/11/18 at 6:13 pm

We've been in 'dumb culture', musically, since the late 90's.  :P

More or less, yeah.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/11/18 at 6:54 pm

I think many of us are just ready for a change already. Like pointed out before, pop culture of the 10s has been too consistent.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/11/18 at 7:44 pm

Interesting. Did you live through the 90s?

Written By: 2001 on 02/11/18 at 7:48 pm

I think many of us are just ready for a change already. Like pointed out before, pop culture of the 10s has been too consistent.

There is some level consistency to it all, but I don't think it's been the exact same thing throughout the decade. 2013 felt different enough from 2010, and 2016 felt different enough from 2013. The culture is evolving, albeit gradually rather than any sudden changes.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/11/18 at 7:56 pm

There is some level consistency to it all, but I don't think it's been the exact same thing throughout the decade. 2013 felt different enough from 2010, and 2016 felt different enough from 2013. The culture is evolving, albeit gradually rather than any sudden changes.

This decade is.....broken. http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/Smileys/default/HWaQd6Z.png http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/Smileys/default/HWaQd6Z.png http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/Smileys/default/HWaQd6Z.png

Written By: Slim95 on 02/11/18 at 8:08 pm

This decade is.....broken. http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/Smileys/default/HWaQd6Z.png http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/Smileys/default/HWaQd6Z.png http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/Smileys/default/HWaQd6Z.png

This decade has been very consistent but it wasn't great. I am grateful I am alive and healthy even though movies, shows, music, and trends are mainly very bad.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/11/18 at 8:16 pm

What's good about the 1990's.

-A lot of people like 1990's music. I'm sure some hate it or don't have any interest. But it was one of the most diverse decades in music, since the 1960's! We went from hair metal/voguing/new jack swing to teen pop/R&B/Europop/Pop punk.

-The economy grew about 4% per year. Some years reaching 5%+.

-It was a great time for television for kids. I would even argue THE BEST era of television for kids (age 13 and under).

-The Cold War was over.

-Although an opinion, there wasn't this oversaturation of Superhero movies. Although, in a moderate/good amount, people usually like them.

-A lot of 90's fashion was okay. It didn't have the cheese factor the 80's had.

-Video games were at one of their peaks in quality, ever.

-Rock was still very relevant in the mainstream music.

-Gas prices were a lot cheaper pre-2000 years.

-College costs less.

-No overt social media yet. You felt less judged.

-The TV cartoons and movie cartoons were great! Classics even.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/11/18 at 8:40 pm

What's good about the 1990's.

-A lot of people like 1990's music. I'm sure some hate it or don't have any interest. But it was one of the most diverse decades in music, since the 1960's! We went from hair metal/voguing/new jack swing to teen pop/R&B/Europop/Pop punk.

-The economy grew about 4% per year. Some years reaching 5%+.

-It was a great time for television for kids. I would even argue THE BEST era of television for kids (age 13 and under).

-The Cold War was over.

-Although an opinion, there wasn't this oversaturation of Superhero movies. Although, in a moderate/good amount, people usually like them.

-A lot of 90's fashion was okay. It didn't have the cheese factor the 80's had.

-Video games were at one of their peaks in quality, ever.

-Rock was still very relevant in the mainstream music.

-Gas prices were a lot cheaper pre-2000 years.

-College costs less.

-No overt social media yet. You felt less judged.

-The TV cartoons and movie cartoons were great! Classics even.

So true. I wish I experienced the 1990s to its entirety even though I am proud to be a 2000s kid and the 2000s was a good decade to grow up in. The only year I clearly remember of the '90s is 1999 and I am grateful I remember stuff from that year. I know the '90s were an amazing decade.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/11/18 at 8:46 pm

So true. I wish I experienced the 1990s to its entirety even though I am proud to be a 2000s kid and the 2000s was a good decade to grow up in. The only year I clearly remember of the '90s is 1999 and I am grateful I remember stuff from that year. I know the '90s were an amazing decade.

I guess God doesn't hate me that much.  ;D

I got to remember 1991 to 1999. With me remember very clearly 1994 to 1999.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/11/18 at 8:52 pm

Do you prefer the 80s or 90s more? Would you wish the experience the 80s?

Written By: 80sfan on 02/11/18 at 9:12 pm

Do you prefer the 80s or 90s more? Would you wish the experience the 80s?

The 1980's by a few tiny crumbs. Yes, I would like to experience the 1980's.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/11/18 at 9:24 pm

It hasn't been the exact same but I was saying that I think it's been too consistent. No truly major changes.

Written By: superblyexhausted on 02/11/18 at 9:33 pm

This thread reminds me of something interesting I saw on Twitter today: https://twitter.com/OsitaNwanevu/status/962746849856802816

Complaining about current pop culture is as cyclical as blaming past generations for all societal ills. In both cases, maybe there's some grain of truth to it, but for the love of god, get over yourself and stop pretending you're the first person in the first era to think it.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/11/18 at 9:53 pm

Yes and so you've said already. But complaining about it isnt going to change anything- sorry.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/11/18 at 9:54 pm

Jesus, your not that special, and neither are the 90s :o

Written By: 80sfan on 02/11/18 at 9:58 pm

Jesus, your not that special, and neither are the 90s :o

No, I'm not special, just lucky! Two totally separate things.  ;)

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/11/18 at 10:02 pm

You ain't that lucky, if you were born in the early '70s then yes, I would consider you pretty lucky ;)

Written By: 2001 on 02/11/18 at 10:09 pm

This decade has been very consistent but it wasn't great. I am grateful I am alive and healthy even though movies, shows, music, and trends are mainly very bad.

2010s shows are the best.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/11/18 at 10:23 pm

Yes and so you've said already. But complaining about it isnt going to change anything- sorry.

I still have every right to complain about it as I will.

The 90s were special.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/11/18 at 10:24 pm

2010s shows are the best.

Nah the 2010s shows are the absolute worst this decade has been horrible for TV. The only exception is Game of Thrones. That's one show I like. But other than that, garbage culture!

Written By: Slim95 on 02/11/18 at 10:26 pm

You ain't that lucky, if you were born in the early '70s then yes, I would consider you pretty lucky ;)

Anyone who got to experience them is lucky. I do feel pretty lucky myself I got to experience the early 2000s as a child, which was another really good era.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/11/18 at 10:44 pm

Anyone who got to experience them is lucky. I do feel pretty lucky myself I got to experience the early 2000s as a child, which was another really good era.

I agree the early 2000s were really good. Although I was only a toddler/preschool age then haha.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/11/18 at 10:45 pm

I still have every right to complain about it as I will.

But aren't you sick of complaining all the time?

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/11/18 at 11:09 pm

I think the thing I hate the most about rants that go and on about how the present decade sucks is how completely devoid of worth and originality the rants are.

Written By: 2001 on 02/11/18 at 11:26 pm

Nah the 2010s shows are the absolute worst this decade has been horrible for TV. The only exception is Game of Thrones. That's one show I like. But other than that, garbage culture!

What shows did you watch from past decades that were so great and put the 2010s to shame? :o

Written By: 2001 on 02/11/18 at 11:28 pm

I think the thing I hate the most about rants that go and on about how the present decade sucks is how completely devoid of worth and originality the rants are.

Yep, replace "2010s" with 1990s/2000s in those sentences and you get déjà vu if you've lived through those decades.

"Best era ever and everything after that sucks!" coincidentally always coincides with whenever the speaker was either not born or under 25 (and especially under 10 or under 20) ;D

A little self-awareness wouldn't kill some people here :P

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/12/18 at 12:05 am

It's funny, I graduated high school in 1989 and I couldn't wait for the 80s to get over with. And now I like that decade a lot more.

I'm guessing that when a lot of you get older, you'll look back fondly at this time.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/12/18 at 12:14 am

What shows did you watch from past decades that were so great and put the 2010s to shame? :o

I like The Walking Dead, Fuller House, Blackish, Family Guy, The Goldbergs, and Riverdale.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/12/18 at 12:21 am

I like The Walking Dead, Fuller House, Blackish, Family Guy, The Goldbergs, and Riverdale.

Lol Riverdale is honestly so bad that I can't stop watching ;D :-X

Written By: 80sfan on 02/12/18 at 12:23 am

Post-2000 things I like.

-Facebook
-Youtube
-Cell phones
-A lot of great Youtubers
-The first Black president
-More gay acceptance
-Horror movies are better than ever
-Netflix
-Movies are still good
-TV is still good

More to come.....

Written By: 80sfan on 02/12/18 at 12:24 am

Lol Riverdale is honestly so bad that I can't stop watching ;D :-X

Good bad, or bad bad?  ???  ???  ???

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/12/18 at 12:38 am

Good bad, or bad bad?  ???  ???  ???

I like watching it but I have to admit it's pretty bad quality, I mean why does everything in the show have to do with someone getting killed. For example, we don't even no why the latest victim was killed, 3/4 of the characters are really annoying or at least make constant bad decisions. Still, I always watch it. ;D

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/12/18 at 12:40 am

I doubt anyone complaining is attempting to be "original" with their rants or feels like they're the first to do it. They are just expressing their frustration. Also if the complaints are cycle, I guess we shouldn't really be surprised. : shrug: I can see how you might be annoyed by it though.

Personally, there are shows I genuinely enjoy like Jane The Virgin (loooove this show), Young & Hungry, Blackish, and The Goldbergs. I will certainly be nostalgic about these shows! And I'm sure there are other shows I would like, I just haven't had time to watch them. I think the best thing about this decade is the technology. Had it not been for Netflix, I wouldn't have discovered these shows since I'm usually not home when they air.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/12/18 at 12:46 am

I doubt anyone complaining is attempting to be "original" with their rants or feels like they're the first to do it. They are just expressing their frustration. Also if the complaints are cycle, I just we shouldn't really be surprised. : shrug: I can see how you might be annoyed by it though.
Personally, there are shows I genuinely enjoy like Jane The Virgin (loooove this show), Young & Hungry, Blackish, and The Goldbergs. I will certainly be nostalgic about these shows! And I'm sure there are other shows I would like, I just haven't had time to watch them. I think the best thing about this decade is the technology. Had it not been for Netflix, I wouldn't have discovered these shows since I'm usually not home when they air.

That's the one I'm missing from my list.  :-X  :-X  :-X

Oh, and if there was one weak quality about the 1980's was that they weren't my favorite decade for television. The only show I liked was The Cosby Show. I think it was a weak decade, personally, for television.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/12/18 at 12:57 am

It's funny, I graduated high school in 1989 and I couldn't wait for the 80s to get over with. And now I like that decade a lot more.

I'm guessing that when a lot of you get older, you'll look back fondly at this time.

Yeah, that tends to happen. People romanticize previous decades and almost completely dismiss the negative aspects. I'm sure in 10 to 20 years, 2010s kids will be reminiscing on this decade and I will just say "the 10s weren't THAT great!" Much like people who experienced the 80s and 90s in their entirety say here. But I'm not saying anything new, you all already know this!

I prefer the early-mid 2000s over the 2010s but I can recognize that the 2000s set the groundwork for today's culture. I mean Jesus Christ, the 2000s were obsessed with celebrity culture. I just feel it's gotten worse, especially since the rise of Twitter.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/12/18 at 1:03 am

Oh, and if there was one weak quality about the 1980's was that they weren't my favorite decade for television. The only show I liked was The Cosby Show. I think it was a weak decade, personally, for television.

Jane the Virigin is going down as my all time favorite show. It just made me angry at the end of season 2 and I had to give that show a break lol. But it has so many twists and turns in that show, you never really know what's gonna happen next. Season 4 started last week I think. I haven't watched too many shows from the 80s besides The Cosby Show, Full House and It's a Different World so I'm not qualified to judge the quality lol.

Written By: musicguy93 on 02/12/18 at 1:19 am

Yeah, that tends to happen. People romanticize previous decades and almost completely dismiss the negative aspects. I'm sure in 10 to 20 years, 2010s kids will be reminiscing on this decade and I will just say "the 10s weren't THAT great!" Much like people who experienced the 80s and 90s in their entirety say here. But I'm not saying anything new, you all already know this!

I prefer the early-mid 2000s over the 2010s but I can recognize that the 2000s set the groundwork for today's culture. I mean Jesus Christ, the 2000s were obsessed with celebrity culture. I just feel it's gotten worse, especially since the rise of Twitter.

I disagree with the idea that people always romanticize decades in retrospect. Sure it happens a lot, but there are always exceptions. For example, I was born in 1993 (and I'm guessing by your screen name that you were also born in 1993), so I primarily grew up in the 00s. And to be honest, I find myself becoming LESS nostalgic for the decade (on the whole) as I get older. For example, back around 2012/2013, I was nostalgic over 2000-2007, but now I'm mainly nostalgic for 2000-2002/2003. There are some stuff that I enjoy from 2004-2006, but I'm honestly not keen to that era.

I am NOT at all nostalgic for the late 2000s or the early 2010s, and I think I'm beginning to realize why. It's been something that I've been thinking about for a while. You mention how the 2000s laid the groundwork for the 2010s, and I was actually thinking the exact same thing. A lot of the fashions, music, technologies, attitudes of the 2010s had their roots in the 2000s. For that reason I think that the 2000s and the 2010s will be seen as counterpart eras, the same way the 60s and 70s are seen as counterpart eras, if that makes any sense. By that logic the 2020s will possibly the decade that goes against the 2000s and 2010s, the same way the 80s went against the 60s and 70s.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/12/18 at 2:34 am

I disagree with the idea that people always romanticize decades in retrospect. Sure it happens a lot, but there are always exceptions. For example, I was born in 1993 (and I'm guessing by your screen name that you were also born in 1993), so I primarily grew up in the 00s. And to be honest, I find myself becoming LESS nostalgic for the decade (on the whole) as I get older. For example, back around 2012/2013, I was nostalgic over 2000-2007, but now I'm mainly nostalgic for 2000-2002/2003. There are some stuff that I enjoy from 2004-2006, but I'm honestly not keen to that era.

I am NOT at all nostalgic for the late 2000s or the early 2010s, and I think I'm beginning to realize why. It's been something that I've been thinking about for a while. You mention how the 2000s laid the groundwork for the 2010s, and I was actually thinking the exact same thing. A lot of the fashions, music, technologies, attitudes of the 2010s had their roots in the 2000s. For that reason I think that the 2000s and the 2010s will be seen as counterpart eras, the same way the 60s and 70s are seen as counterpart eras, if that makes any sense. By that logic the 2020s will possibly the decade that goes against the 2000s and 2010s, the same way the 80s went against the 60s and 70s.

Yeah, I was just speaking generally.  I see it a lot though, especially with people in their 40s and 50s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/18 at 2:35 am

...but do we like "The Cosby Show" now?

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/12/18 at 3:56 am

I doubt anyone complaining is attempting to be "original" with their rants or feels like they're the first to do it. They are just expressing their frustration.

Oh, I never thought the complainers are attempting to be "original". When a kid whines about not getting some stupid expensive thing they don't need, they're not trying to be original but it's super fking annoying all the same. ;D

I get it. I'm also guilty of whining about the present culture but I at least try to look for underground stuff.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/12/18 at 4:15 am

I can separate the two entities!  :-X  :-X  :-X

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/18 at 4:21 am

I can separate the two entities!  :-X  :-X  :-X
O0

Written By: Howard on 02/12/18 at 5:28 am

I'm ready for any change that comes my way.

Written By: Howard on 02/12/18 at 5:30 am

I'm sure we all are.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/12/18 at 5:32 am

I don't think it would make any difference. There are a ton of people like that in this world of 7 billion people. The record companies only push what they want. They are the ones who ultimitely decide what sound should be popular and they control and push it out. I think it is an illusion to think the people control what is popular (I'm talking about strictly mainstream stuff here). Whatever the entertainment and music industry decides wants to be popular for the people to hear for whatever reason, that's what gets popular. So me and others have no control over it or can change it. Sure we can all listen to underground music and get involved in non-mainstream stuff. But I am talking about mainstream pop culture which sucks now and in my opinion (I know a lot of people disagree with me) has not totally sucked before in prior decades.

I actually completely disagree. Record companies don't really matter as much as they used to. Did you forget the Grammys fiasco less than a month ago? Yes, their music is what gets into the charts, but what people are listening to? Think about it: Soundcloud, Bandcamp, YouTube - these platforms are bigger than ever. Independent producers of culture, including of video games and even cartoons, are taking primacy while mainstream just sorta becomes its own thing. When I'm looking for something to watch, I don't even turn on my TV anymore - I go on YouTube. What an amazing democratizing force! You do have the power to make a difference. Hell, my entire blog that I started recently is premised on the idea that younger generations are taking the power of culture back.

In a somewhat related note, no offense to everyone complaining in this thread, but my God you are sad. How did you all get so broken? You don't appreciate a good thing when you have it. Yes, '90s pop culture was pretty great (I have a particular soft spot for the SNES era) and so was the economy. What was not so great? All the terrorism, the political gridlock in the U.S. (hey, kinda sounds like today), and globalization was picking up speed and would eventually lead to the economic and societal ills we face today.

The pop culture of the '70s were pretty rad too - lots of experimental music and movies, and video games were just starting to become a thing. Also, there was some really great television at this time. What sucked about this decade? Just about everything else.

The '80s! I hate Reagan, I hate deregulation, I hate privatization, I hate cronyism. I hate the hair, the music (except for the countercultural stuff like Devo), and basically all of the fashion. The movies are just about the only things I halfway like. That doesn't mean it was a terrible decade.

The 2010s had their weak points, but they also had their merits. I think video gaming in this decade has been the best we have seen in a single decade in a really long time; a lot of these games are downright revolutionary. As Hollywood goes down the toilet, the gaming medium has overtaken it as the primary driver of deep and even experimental storytelling. Music may be bland to the rest of you, but I love me some Macklemore and Lorde. The fashion could use some improvement, but holy crap, we had Barack Obama as president and not a drooling infant (well, for most of it anyway). Social media and technology sucks but it sucked in the '00s too.

So everyone, please get over yourselves. There are things to be loved and hated about every decade, so let's discuss the merits and downfalls of each of those decades. Plus it is completely unproductive to just sheesh all over a decade with the same tired talking points, which are lacking in substance anyway and just stand for "I don't actually have an argument because it all comes down to my personal tastes anyway."

/rant

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/12/18 at 5:38 am

If the complaining taking place in these threads make you feel some type of way, you don't have to read the posts.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/12/18 at 6:00 am

That's all good and well, except the complaining is everywhere and it derails any attempts at meaningful discussion. It just drags down the entire forum and doesn't add anything to the experience. This really isn't what I signed up for when I made my account.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/18 at 6:03 am

Just to remind everyone, I'm not tired just happy to be alive!

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/12/18 at 6:12 am

That's all good and well, except the complaining is everywhere and it derails any attempts at meaningful discussion. It just drags down the entire forum and doesn't add anything to the experience. This really isn't what I signed up for when I made my account.

If there are threads out there that seek to present the 2010s in a positive light but are being derailed by people who dislike the decade I can see where you're coming from. However, in a thread like this, you know there are going to be people complaining..

Just to remind everyone, I'm not tired just happy to be alive!

Thanks for the reminder!!! 

Written By: Slim95 on 02/12/18 at 8:15 am

I actually completely disagree. Record companies don't really matter as much as they used to. Did you forget the Grammys fiasco less than a month ago? Yes, their music is what gets into the charts, but what people are listening to? Think about it: Soundcloud, Bandcamp, YouTube - these platforms are bigger than ever. Independent producers of culture, including of video games and even cartoons, are taking primacy while mainstream just sorta becomes its own thing. When I'm looking for something to watch, I don't even turn on my TV anymore - I go on YouTube. What an amazing democratizing force! You do have the power to make a difference. Hell, my entire blog that I started recently is premised on the idea that younger generations are taking the power of culture back.

In a somewhat related note, no offense to everyone complaining in this thread, but my God you are sad. How did you all get so broken? You don't appreciate a good thing when you have it. Yes, '90s pop culture was pretty great (I have a particular soft spot for the SNES era) and so was the economy. What was not so great? All the terrorism, the political gridlock in the U.S. (hey, kinda sounds like today), and globalization was picking up speed and would eventually lead to the economic and societal ills we face today.

The pop culture of the '70s were pretty rad too - lots of experimental music and movies, and video games were just starting to become a thing. Also, there was some really great television at this time. What sucked about this decade? Just about everything else.

The '80s! I hate Reagan, I hate deregulation, I hate privatization, I hate cronyism. I hate the hair, the music (except for the countercultural stuff like Devo), and basically all of the fashion. The movies are just about the only things I halfway like. That doesn't mean it was a terrible decade.

The 2010s had their weak points, but they also had their merits. I think video gaming in this decade has been the best we have seen in a single decade in a really long time; a lot of these games are downright revolutionary. As Hollywood goes down the toilet, the gaming medium has overtaken it as the primary driver of deep and even experimental storytelling. Music may be bland to the rest of you, but I love me some Macklemore and Lorde. The fashion could use some improvement, but holy crap, we had Barack Obama as president and not a drooling infant (well, for most of it anyway). Social media and technology sucks but it sucked in the '00s too.

So everyone, please get over yourselves. There are things to be loved and hated about every decade, so let's discuss the merits and downfalls of each of those decades. Plus it is completely unproductive to just sheesh all over a decade with the same tired talking points, which are lacking in substance anyway and just stand for "I don't actually have an argument because it all comes down to my personal tastes anyway."

/rant

Actually tou are wrong about that. Anyone can go to YouTube and SoundCloud and listen to what they want. I don't care about that. I'm talking about mainstream music on the radio and mainstream pop culture. That gets pushed by record companies and managers and we have no control over that. And that is the stuff that is bad and was better before.  :)

Written By: Slim95 on 02/12/18 at 8:15 am

Nah I'm not complaining all the time my life is going pretty well this decade but the pop culture is terrible!  8-P

Written By: superblyexhausted on 02/12/18 at 10:53 am

If there are threads out there that seek to present the 2010s in a positive light but are being derailed by people who dislike the decade I can see where you're coming from. However, in a thread like this, you know there are going to be people complaining..

Yeah, but it would be nice if it didn't feel like every other thread was people patting themselves on the back for their unlimited ability to complain.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/12/18 at 11:51 am

Yeah, but it would be nice if it didn't feel like every other thread was people patting themselves on the back for their unlimited ability to complain.

Lol. This will be my last time saying this  because I don't like being redundant but I doubt people complaining are patty themselves on the back or feel special. I get the sense that (and you can correct me if I'm wrong) some of you think we're trying to be edgy or pretentious by "hating on" the current decade. Somewhat like those kids on YouTube who believe they were "born in the wrong generation." I can only speak for myself but I don't think I'm any better than any of you.

I don't view any decade as perfect but I'm optimistic about the 2020s. I REALLY hope I enjoy that decade.I just come here to vent sometimes, I've never even discussed this topic with people IRL before. If you want, the rest of you should make more positive threads about the 2010s. If people go in there derailing the topic, you have every right to call them out. But I don't see much wrong with us using this as an outlet to release our frustration. .

Written By: 80sfan on 02/12/18 at 12:47 pm

Lol. This will be my last time saying this  because I don't like being redundant but I doubt people complaining are patty themselves on the back or feel special. I get the sense that (and you can correct me if I'm wrong) some of you think we're trying to be edgy or pretentious by "hating on" the current decade. Somewhat like those kids on YouTube who believe they were "born in the wrong generation." I can only speak for myself but I don't think I'm any better than any of you.

I don't view any decade as perfect but I'm optimistic about the 2020s. I REALLY hope I enjoy that decade.I just come here to vent sometimes, I've never even discussed this topic with people IRL before. If you want, the rest of you should make more positive threads about the 2010s. If people go in there derailing the topic, you have every right to call them out. But I don't see much wrong with us using this as an outlet to release our frustration. .

There's something about the vibe of pop culture of the 00's and 10's that has a 'stale' feeling to it. Like it's not colorful, innovative, or rich, in quality and variety.

Written By: Milk on 02/12/18 at 4:16 pm

Jfc how hard is it not to reply? If you don't like this thread then kindly leave and don't be an ass about it.

Written By: Dundee on 02/12/18 at 4:52 pm

I honestly can't understand how anyone can be sick of a decade, unless we're like in a big depression period like the 30s. If you feel life is bland, don't blame it on the decade blame it on yourself. Find yourself a passion, start drawing courses, start a fashion insta and expose your ideas, follow a work-out youtube channel and do it, go to edm rave parties, dig the underground music, watch all the new original netflix series, there are literally a billion ways to have fun nowadays.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/12/18 at 4:55 pm

I honestly can't understand how anyone can be sick of a decade, unless we're like in a big depression period like the 30s. If you feel life is bland, don't blame it on the decade blame it on yourself. Find yourself a passion, start drawing courses, start a fashion insta and expose your ideas, follow a work-out youtube channel and do it, go to edm rave parties, dig the underground music, watch all the new original netflix series, there are literally a billion ways to have fun nowadays.

For me I don't think my life is bland personally. Things are going fine now. I think some of us are complaining about culture and stuff which is fine. But others may have bad times in their personal life too so it is understandable that they will complain about the decade too if they are going through things. I remember when I was depressed in 2012 I wanted to wish this decade to hell.  ;D I think both complaining threads and positive threads are both fair game on here.  :)

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/12/18 at 5:06 pm

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/12/18 at 5:47 pm

Feeling that life is bland and feeling that popular culture is bland are not synonymous with each other. Obviously you could enjoy underground art, music, video games, etc but still feel that popular culture is bland. I mean that would probably be the reason you sought underground entertainment in the first place.  But I believe that the OP did say that the 2010s are a rough time for him in his personal life.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/12/18 at 5:52 pm

Feeling that life is bland and feeling that popular culture is bland are not synonymous with each other. Obviously you could enjoy underground art, music, video games, etc but still feel that popular culture is bland. I mean that would probably be the reason you sought underground entertainment in the first place.  But I believe that the OP did say that the 2010s are a rough time for him in his personal life.

Preach

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/12/18 at 6:09 pm

I know they're not synonymous. Popular culture has always been bland. I guess you guys that think otherwise are far luckier than you think. I bet it's nice to have experienced a period of pop culture that you enjoyed.

Written By: superblyexhausted on 02/12/18 at 6:14 pm

There are so many great choices and subcultures and niches! Especially in this current age with so many online communities and ways to connect. Complaining about the mainstream culture is like complaining about the Top 40 hits; of course it's going to be blander than the sum of their parts.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/12/18 at 6:19 pm

There are so many great choices and subcultures and niches! Especially in this current age with so many online communities and ways to connect. Complaining about the mainstream culture is like complaining about the Top 40 hits; of course it's going to be blander than the sum of their parts.

Yeah, I was gonna say, it just seems like wasted energy to complain about it. Mainstream music will always be mostly sheeshty with a few gems. That's been true since the dawn of time. Those hits you remember so fondly from the '90s or maybe even the '60s were the diamonds in an ocean of sheesh.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/12/18 at 6:20 pm

I don't like relying on underground stuff way too much effort and not needed if there is good culture. I would much prefer good mainstream pop culture. And no, I don't believe it has always been terrible. There needs to be a change in mainstream music and culture (not underground) and I hope it's a good change.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/12/18 at 6:21 pm

Yeah, I was gonna say, it just seems like wasted energy to complain about it. Mainstream music will always be mostly sheeshty with a few gems. That's been true since the dawn of time. Those hits you remember so fondly from the '90s or maybe even the '60s were the diamonds in an ocean of sheesh.

Nope, mainstream music was much better in previous decades. And please don't bring up underground stuff, they are absolutely irrelevent and not interesting as mainstream pop culture which is where I want to see change and culture to improve. Anyone can go on YouTube and watch what they want. Big whoop it won't get remembered and get nostalgic about years from now.

Written By: Dundee on 02/12/18 at 6:23 pm

When I look at the charts of the 90s I sure have to disagree 8-P

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/12/18 at 6:24 pm

I know they're not synonymous. Popular culture has always been bland. I guess you guys that think otherwise are far luckier than you think. I bet it's nice to have experienced a period of pop culture that you enjoyed.

On a serious note, it really is a nice experience! And because it's popular, you get to share that enjoyment with lots of different people.

Written By: superblyexhausted on 02/12/18 at 6:24 pm

Nope, mainstream music was much better in previous decades. Don't bring up underground stuff, they are absolutely irrelevent and not interesting as mainstream culture.

1. I don't even mean "underground," I just mean subcultures and diversions from the bland middle. That's almost always more interesting than the mainstream culture, which is necessarily a middling of consensus sensibilities.

2. Buddy, have you ever heard what passed for a hit in the '90s?  :P

Written By: Slim95 on 02/12/18 at 6:25 pm

1. I don't even mean "underground," I just mean subcultures and diversions from the bland middle. That's almost always more interesting than the mainstream culture, which is necessarily a middling of consensus sensibilities.

2. Buddy, have you ever heard what passed for a hit in the '90s?  :P

I was talking to LooseBolt. And yeah, the bad stuff from the '90s was A LOT better than the bad stuff from today.

Written By: superblyexhausted on 02/12/18 at 6:26 pm

I was talking to LooseBolt. And yeah, the bad stuff from the '90s was A LOT better than the bad stuff from today.

Hmm, agree to disagree. I personally find the '90s and the '00s to be rather uninteresting, and the '10s to be a fair deal more involving.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/12/18 at 10:02 pm

Hmm, agree to disagree. I personally find the '90s and the '00s to be rather uninteresting, and the '10s to be a fair deal more involving.

I didn't find the 90s all that interesting while I was living through it but now that I'm so far away from it, I finally get it. I get why the 90s happened and that's interesting in itself. The 2010s is interesting too but we're living through it day to day so the special often seem mundane.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/12/18 at 10:46 pm

Yes. I'm tired of the fact there's no variety in all entertainment, the hipster culture (although that's somewhat gone), the extremism on all sides, and the terrorist attacks.

Written By: KatanaChick on 02/12/18 at 11:00 pm

Nope, mainstream music was much better in previous decades. And please don't bring up underground stuff, they are absolutely irrelevent and not interesting as mainstream pop culture which is where I want to see change and culture to improve. Anyone can go on YouTube and watch what they want. Big whoop it won't get remembered and get nostalgic about years from now.

What's wrong with underground music? If you just listen to only what's on the radio and never discover anything new, it's just no fun. I like hearing bands on YouTube I previously didn't know about. How will you ever expand your interests if you're just into what's popular?

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/13/18 at 12:40 am

What's wrong with underground music? If you just listen to only what's on the radio and never discover anything new, it's just no fun. I like hearing bands on YouTube I previously didn't know about. How will you ever expand your interests if you're just into what's popular?

A lot of people on this board defend not putting any effort into exploring the less known things. It's really depressing.

Written By: Dundee on 02/13/18 at 3:34 am

A lot of people on this board defend not putting any effort into exploring the less known things. It's really depressing.
The thing is we actually live in a decade where the "underground" is accessible as ever, it's THE decade where the line between mainstream and underground got finally blurred. "Exploring the underground" is now part of the mainstream, so that's doubly shameful.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/13/18 at 5:08 am

And then complaining when they mysteriously can't find any variety, despite putting zero effort into looking. And it's not like any of us are even saying you have to go "underground," whatever that means. There are songs and artists outside of the mainstream that are still reasonably popular.

Written By: Howard on 02/13/18 at 7:20 am

It was good back then from about 1984-1989

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/18 at 7:22 am

It was good back then from about 1984-1989
I only saw one of the shows, when the script was based on the British comedy "One Foot In The Grave", and that show back then did not make me laugh.

Written By: 2001 on 02/13/18 at 9:55 am

Like my mother always says "Only boring people get bored" :D

Written By: 2001 on 02/13/18 at 9:59 am

LOL is that what we're doing now? "My poop smells better than your poop" ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 02/13/18 at 3:43 pm

I believe social media being so dominant throughout the 2010's and streaming becoming more popular has played a huge role in making 2010's culture feel so dull in people's point of view. We are so glued to our screens for hours now and a lot of our young generation's pop culture comes from Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, internet memes, Gaming (Call of Duty, 2K, Madden, Minecraft, etc.). TV ratings have been down lately because of streaming becoming more popular than traditional TV and as for sports like the NFL it's been the anthem protests controversy and all of that. I mean seriously, look how far YouTube has come today and combine that with streaming shows anywhere you want to. That's why cable and traditional TV is on its way out. Donald Trump problems and all these war threats. The electropop or electronic era of music that started in the late 00's or early 10's feel the same and trap music continues to dominate the billboards, despite there still being some really good artists out there. I can understand why people get pissed off about this. It may not feel like the traditional pop culture back from the 90's or early 00's when there wasn't social media back then and our lives weren't 90% revolved around so much technology. Back in the 90's & earlier everyone came up with pop cultural stuff without the heavy technology and devices. Back in the 90's and 00's players in the NFL, NBA, etc. didn't have to worry about social media being a huge distraction like it's become today. So it made things feel more revolutionary and exciting. The 70's, 80's, and 90's felt like original decades that had its own unique vibe and feel for those reasons. Once the WWW launched in the 90's and the internet started to grow throughout the 00's, our everyday culture started changing for numerous reasons. Once you started having internet on multiple devices and social media sites started getting huge, oh boy.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/13/18 at 4:20 pm

I believe social media being so dominant throughout the 2010's and streaming becoming more popular has played a huge role in making 2010's culture feel so dull in people's point of view. We are so glued to our screens for hours now and a lot of our young generation's pop culture comes from Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, internet memes, Gaming (Call of Duty, 2K, Madden, Minecraft, etc.). TV ratings have been down lately because of streaming becoming more popular than traditional TV and as for sports like the NFL it's been the anthem protests controversy and all of that. I mean seriously, look how far YouTube has come today and combine that with streaming shows anywhere you want to. That's why cable and traditional TV is on its way out. Donald Trump problems and all these war threats. The electropop or electronic era of music that started in the late 00's or early 10's feel the same and trap music continues to dominate the billboards, despite there still being some really good artists out there. I can understand why people get pissed off about this. It may not feel like the traditional pop culture back from the 90's or early 00's when there wasn't social media back then and our lives weren't 90% revolved around so much technology. Back in the 90's & earlier everyone came up with pop cultural stuff without the heavy technology and devices. Back in the 90's and 00's players in the NFL, NBA, etc. didn't have to worry about social media being a huge distraction like it's become today. So it made things feel more revolutionary and exciting. The 70's, 80's, and 90's felt like original decades that had its own unique vibe and feel for those reasons. Once the WWW launched in the 90's and the internet started to grow throughout the 00's, our everyday culture started changing for numerous reasons. Once you started having internet on multiple devices and social media sites started getting huge, oh boy.

You know, you may be onto something there.

Written By: christopher on 02/13/18 at 4:36 pm

I am tired of the second half of the decade. So much divide in America and toxicity. So much negativity by the previously most positive, upbeat culture! So much terrorism in Europe boosting xenophobia (which is usually against Eastern Europeans). Socially the later 2010s were more influential - people even started talking about transracial people and whether race is a social construct or not.

Here's what I will remember from the 2010s:
Pre 2014:
+ The nice music of the early 2010s and mostly pleasant things
+ Rediscovered my true passion
+ Minimalism in my Internet use
+ Gangnam style
+ the early 2010s cars
+ Modern family
+ Community - the TV show
- Conspiracy theory forums ;D

Post 2014:
+ Transracial people: Rachel Dolezal and Elizbeth Warren (2015) - ok Warren's story has been going since at least 2012, but I personally heard of her alleged fake Native roots around the Rachel Dolezal story.
+ The "birth" of Caitlyn Jenner - I was shocked really and no other trans person has received so much attention before (2015)
- Trump (2016-present) - I hate to see the US so divided
- SJW vs. alt right (it started to get big around 2014, but with Trump and stupid online blogs and platforms it got worse). Online negativity skyrocketed.
- the increase of xenophobia in Europe, especially against Eastern Europeans
- the terrorism wave after 2014
- I discovered reddit and CityData, wish I didn't lol
- Shock videos on YouTube
- Sites becoming dumber/full of fear-mongering
- Dumb Turkish and Indian TV soaps on my national TV

All in all negative things are marked by minus while the pluses indicate positive things for me or at least amusing. The early 2010s win for me so I want the 2010s to be over, hopefully the 20's will be better.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/13/18 at 5:34 pm

This. I actually liked a lot of the things I complain about today when they first became popular. For instance, when I heard full house was coming back, I was kind of excited. However, so many shows/films are being rebooted and will continue to be rebooted throughout 2018. Ever heard "too much of a good thing" ? ;D  I'm just ready for something new and fresh I guess. 

Written By: 2001 on 02/13/18 at 5:37 pm

I am tired of the second half of the decade. So much divide in America and toxicity. So much negativity by the previously most positive, upbeat culture! So much terrorism in Europe boosting xenophobia (which is usually against Eastern Europeans). Socially the later 2010s were more influential - people even started talking about transracial people and whether race is a social construct or not.

Here's what I will remember from the 2010s:
Pre 2014:
+ The nice music of the early 2010s and mostly pleasant things
+ Rediscovered my true passion
+ Minimalism in my Internet use
+ Gangnam style
+ the early 2010s cars
+ Modern family
+ Community - the TV show
- Conspiracy theory forums ;D

Post 2014:
+ Transracial people: Rachel Dolezal and Elizbeth Warren (2015) - ok Warren's story has been going since at least 2012, but I personally heard of her alleged fake Native roots around the Rachel Dolezal story.
+ The "birth" of Caitlyn Jenner - I was shocked really and no other trans person has received so much attention before (2015)
- Trump (2016-present) - I hate to see the US so divided
- SJW vs. alt right (it started to get big around 2014, but with Trump and stupid online blogs and platforms it got worse). Online negativity skyrocketed.
- the increase of xenophobia in Europe, especially against Eastern Europeans
- the terrorism wave after 2014
- I discovered reddit and CityData, wish I didn't lol
- Shock videos on YouTube
- Sites becoming dumber/full of fear-mongering
- Dumb Turkish and Indian TV soaps on my national TV

All in all negative things are marked by minus while the pluses indicate positive things for me or at least amusing. The early 2010s win for me so I want the 2010s to be over, hopefully the 20's will be better.

LMAO. What shows are those?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 02/14/18 at 1:16 am

You're absolutely spot on!

Written By: Looney Toon on 02/14/18 at 1:49 am

Social Media is probably the core aspect of pop culture right now since everything seems to come from/revolve around it. But at this point I'm not sure how we can change this since everyone is too obsessed with social media. Almost makes me wish that the 2020s backlash on 2010s culture also included Social Media. I don't want Social Media to disappear I just don't want it to be as big as it is now to the point where everyone's lives is somewhat dependent on it.

Written By: christopher on 02/14/18 at 4:19 am

LMAO. What shows are those?

One is called the Child Bride. :D
If you happen to watch any channel during the daytime you will run into Indian soaps and also many Turkish ones. Many people hate them, yet the ratings are huge and women especially have went nuts over oriental culture. I think it's because it's something exotic. Turkish ones can be more Westernized, but still have many ethnic-specific element not found in the dominant culture here. I think there's a longing for the good old days when our roles were more defined and people had patriarchal morals. But for me that's going backwards as even now I find Bulgarian parents too overprotective.

Before those Indian and Turkish soaps, during the daytime they showed mostly cartoons and "New world" soap operas (The Bold and The Beautiful and many many Latin American telenovelas). As The World Turns and All My Children were broadcasted only for a few months but B&B was a real phenomenon in the 1990's in Bulgaria and I assume many other countries around. Even Y&R didn't catch on.

To be honest I preferred the North and Latin American soaps as I felt North and South American people closer to my liking. I don't really see what's so cool about Indian and Turkish cultures save for being exotic. Sure, I like how close the extended families are but they also have so many rules and you can't just move around changing towns like they did on American TV. Thankfully sitcoms like Modern Family and Community still run on some channels.

I also wish for social media backlash, it's time to go back to good ol' forums as the main platforms. :)

Written By: Frank998 on 02/14/18 at 10:19 am

I think the oneties are okay so far. I seem to be enjoying it and I don't see why people dislike this decade?

Written By: kingofthetemple on 02/14/18 at 10:25 am

Social Media is probably the core aspect of pop culture right now since everything seems to come from/revolve around it. But at this point I'm not sure how we can change this since everyone is too obsessed with social media. Almost makes me wish that the 2020s backlash on 2010s culture also included Social Media. I don't want Social Media to disappear I just don't want it to be as big as it is now to the point where everyone's lives is somewhat dependent on it.
That's a big reason why pop culture seems stale because all(most)cultural aspects revolve around social media I guess social media kind of killed the pop culture where use to from like 1950s-2000s.I actually thought 2017 would be hugely transitional even though it kind of was I though it would be an even huger transition like 09 or 08 I really thought the late 10s would be very different from the rest of the 10s and mostly because of trump but instead the late 10s feel like an extension of the mid 10s for the most part. ::)

Written By: Brian06 on 02/15/18 at 12:08 am

Very very tired and sick of it. The past few years have been a complete disaster.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/15/18 at 1:16 pm

Very very tired and sick of it. The past few years have been a complete disaster.

Nice to see you again Brian (with that lovely avatar of yours don't know who she is), both of us took a break from this site around the same time.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/15/18 at 1:39 pm

That's a big reason why pop culture seems stale because all(most)cultural aspects revolve around social media I guess social media kind of killed the pop culture where use to from like 1950s-2000s.I actually thought 2017 would be hugely transitional even though it kind of was I though it would be an even huger transition like 09 or 08 I really thought the late 10s would be very different from the rest of the 10s and mostly because of trump but instead the late 10s feel like an extension of the mid 10s for the most part. ::)

If you enjoy electronic music and trap music artists, then this decade's pop culture is absolutely for you. If you enjoy streaming shows everywhere you go (Netflix, Hulu, HBO App, etc.) instead of traditional TV, and if you enjoy modern gaming (XBOX One X, Nintendo Switch, PS4 Pro, etc.) then this decade's pop culture is absolutely for you. If you really enjoy the social media culture of Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube (2013-present), Snapchat, Switch, etc. then this decade's culture is absolutely for you, and one day, even if it's a couple of decades from now, there will be something else out there that'll take over that isn't invented yet. Want to know why there's been so many reboot movies and shows lately? I can't explain this from the top of my head, but the internet has given us so much access to nostalgia that so many people have gotten lazy and ran out of ideas. Even the DC and Marvel movies throughout the last several years, all of these originated from comic books that have been out for decades. Those aren't technically original either when you think about it. They just take old comic books and modernize those stories into our real world. Honestly, I have appreciated the social media era for these 2 big things, #1 because you get to talk to people (you don't know personally) worldwide and #2 because you get to keep in contact with people for life who you haven't seen since high school or college. Back in the day, you had to exchange phone numbers otherwise you'll lose contact with that person forever. You can now date girls through the internet which has been going on for a while now, cause I know one guy on YouTube who flew all the way to Mexico to meet this news reporter through social media, and they've been engaged now for nearly 3 years. Just keep in mind people, times change. We go into different eras. Think about how the culture used to be before the 60's when there was still heavy discrimination and segregation. Think about how dull the culture was in our eyes pre-WWI and WWII because it was a different time we can't comprehend due to us being born in the post-WWII or Cold War era when we were born straight into a golden era of pop culture. You never know what's coming next, so just live your life on and enjoy what we have now or what we still have.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/15/18 at 1:46 pm

and for those who are sick and tired of social media and technology, well get ready, because it's only going to get worse or more crazy (more advanced). Soon there will be scientists and inventors trying to play God. Anyone ever heard of "biohacking"?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/15/18 at 4:02 pm

If anyone wants to know my reasons, here they are.

The biggest thing I don't like is how there's practically no variety in anything ranging from movies, music, games, etc. While I don't have an issue with the superhero films, that shouldn't be the only genre dominating. I mean, where's the comedy? The non-superhero action flicks? The romance and so on. They need to bring those genres back in full force. Another problem with the movies is there are way too many remakes or reboots. I don't mind some of them, but there need to be more original films.

For TV, the only ones I hear that are doing well are the Netflix original shows, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, and the Superhero ones. Outside of those brackets, I don't honestly hear anything good about most of the shows on the 5 major channels: ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, and CW. The majority of them seem to get canceled within a year or two.

For games, I don't like how I can't find anything that's not a shooter in the mainstream. It's like I have to dig deeper to find the others that used to be famous. Again, I have no problems with shooters as I have played a lot myself, and they're pretty good; however, there needs to be more diversity in the mainstream. One genre is not going to cut it.

For music, it sucks how Trap-rap and EDM are the only genres dominating in this decade. Now, I don't have a problem with EDM or anything as it's excellent music to dance and party to, but there's just too much of it. Regarding Trap, it's one of the worst sub-genres in hip-hop, and I hope it declines soon and makes way for the likes of Kendrick, J. Cole, Chance, Logic, Russ, etc. The good thing though so far is that R&B, Non-trap hip-hop, and Latin music have made a return in the mainstream, and there is a little indie in there; however, there needs to more variety, or else the music industry will decline.

I don't like how terrible the economy has been this whole era. It has practically prevented us and everyone else from achieving essential milestones, and it had made it difficult for us at least to find a job especially a good paying job.

I don't like how constant attacks are happening everywhere whether they are shootings, bombings, people purposely getting ran over, etc.  Yes, I'm aware that the crime rate has declined since the 90s and it is continuing to decrease right now; however, that doesn't invalidate my point and has made people expect one every other day. I honestly don't remember a time that many attacks were continually happening like they are now.

I don't like how people are offended continuously by everything even if it's a minor issue. Yeah, there are reasons why people are hurt by something, but it has to be a genuine concern, not something pretentious.

Another thing I don't like is memes. I will admit that they were funny and right and they still are, but they are far getting annoying. There are some memes I have encountered online that were not only ridiculous but also unnecessary and sometimes inaccurate.

The last thing I don't like is the hipsters and the fashion associated with that group. Ever since they took the mainstream by storm, it has been nothing, but horrendous and embarrassing results. It would have been great had it stayed underground, but unfortunately, it didn't. I'm happy though I didn't go that route and went with my sense of fashion. It would have been cringe-worthy that I would have been embarrassed to see what hipster fashion I was wearing when I look back in the future.

What I appreciated about the early 2010s is that there was so much variety in all types of mainstream entertainment. Today, not so much at all. I really hope in the next era, diversity in entertainment makes a huge comeback.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/15/18 at 4:33 pm

And then complaining when they mysteriously can't find any variety, despite putting zero effort into looking. And it's not like any of us are even saying you have to go "underground," whatever that means. There are songs and artists outside of the mainstream that are still reasonably popular.

Uhh underground means non-mainstream... So yes that is what you mean.  ??? I can't believe you didn't know underground means everything that isn't mainstream... And as I said, some of us don't care about that or don't want to "look for good music". Some of us want to turn on the radio and hear a decent mainstream song. Not that hard to grasp. All we want is better mainstream pop culture and I do personally believe it was better in previous decades but that is subjective of course.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/15/18 at 4:36 pm

If you think video games this decade have had no variety then you really do need to dig deeper. Especially among indie developers and on platforms such as Steam, this decade has been a veritable renaissance for gaming.

As regards film though, I admit I would like to see a return of the great musicals like Singin’ in the Rain. Sorry La La Land fans, but that film doesn’t even approach the greatness of the films it’s giving tribute to.

Uhh underground means non-mainstream... So yes that is what you mean.  ??? I can't belueve you didn't know underground means everything that isn't mainstream... And as I said, some of us don't care about that or don't want to "look for good music". Some of us want to turn on the radio and hear a decent mainstream song. Not that hard to grasp.

I don’t understand this stubborn refusal to understand the fact that there is a middle ground between mainstream and underground. It’s occupied even by such giants as Linkin Park and John Mayer.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/15/18 at 4:38 pm

I don’t understand this stubborn refusal to understand the fact that there is a middle ground between mainstream and underground. It’s occupied even by such giants as Linkin Park and John Mayer.

Even if you do divide it up like that with there being a middle ground, we want mainstream pop culture to be good and popular songs to be good, which they aren't now imo. A lot of people on these forums want actual mainstream culture to improve.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/15/18 at 5:09 pm

If you think video games this decade have had no variety then you really do need to dig deeper. Especially among indie developers and on platforms such as Steam, this decade has been a veritable renaissance for gaming.

As regards film though, I admit I would like to see a return of the great musicals like Singin’ in the Rain. Sorry La La Land fans, but that film doesn’t even approach the greatness of the films it’s giving tribute to.
I have dug deeper for video games. It's just that I wish there was more diversity in mainstream gaming like there was in the 90s and 00s. Since the early 10s ended, there has barely been any. Almost everything is homogeneous.

That might not happen right now since the era is almost over, that but that could return in the 2020s though.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/15/18 at 5:43 pm

Well, I don't think we're trying to say *everything* about this decade is terrible. Sure enough there are some quality gems underground/ outside of mainstream. I do look underground. It's just that some of us would like to enjoy mainstream. That is a personal preference. Some people will be content with non-mainstream culture while others would prefer that mainstream improves (like Slim said). It's subjective but some of us think that mainstream actually used to be decent, even though others will heavily disagree. I think once people understand that some of us actually want to enjoy mainstream culture (regardless of what's underground) there won't be as much confusion.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/15/18 at 10:21 pm

I don't like how constant attacks are happening everywhere whether they are shootings, bombings, people purposely getting ran over, etc.  Yes, I'm aware that the crime rate has declined since the 90s and it is continuing to decrease right now; however, that doesn't invalidate my point and has made people expect one every other day. I honestly don't remember a time that many attacks were continually happening like they are now.

I don't like how people are offended continuously by everything even if it's a minor issue. Yeah, there are reasons why people are hurt by something, but it has to be a genuine concern, not something pretentious.

Oh, and I completely FORGOT to add this too. Hardly any of this was happening in the early 2010's and the 2000's. It still happened but not has rapidly as it's occurred the last few years. Isn't it so ironic that all of this started with police shootings and ISIS, now America is doing this to themselves. ISIS is saying "hahahaha". It's almost like an evil divisive spirit has been sent across our nation. Since the rise of Donald Trump in 2016, this idiotic president has promoted division and hatred which has played a huge role in people no longer accepting people's opinions and getting overly offended. While at the same time racist people believe they can say whatever the hell they want to. Since the start of 2018 (only a little over a month!), there has already been 18 school shootings, including that tragic high school shooting that recently occurred in Florida. Oh man, people committing suicide due to cyberbullying has occurred more often as well. In fact, people going on more of a rampage like SHOOTING UP A SCHOOL (due to getting overly offended) has been the biggest problem.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/16/18 at 5:02 am

Really? You guys don't remember the prevalence of terrorism in the 2000s? The freakin' War on Terror? I was on a plane in winter 2009 that almost fell victim to a terror attack. Luckily they stopped the guy and I'm here to talk about it today.

Also, as to:

this idiotic president has promoted division and hatred which has played a huge role in people no longer accepting people's opinions and getting overly offended. While at the same time racist people believe they can say whatever the hell they want to.

Donald Trump is not the cause, he's a symptom. This thought pattern in people is what gave rise to him and his presidency, not the other way around. However, his executive agencies looking the other way while these bouts of violence occur do go a long way in making them look more frequent and more prevalent. When things like this happened under Obama's watch, they were investigated.

Written By: ofkx on 02/16/18 at 12:51 pm

I have dug deeper for video games. It's just that I wish there was more diversity in mainstream gaming like there was in the 90s and 00s. Since the early 10s ended, there has barely been any. Almost everything is homogeneous.

That might not happen right now since the era is almost over, that but that could return in the 2020s though.

Quite the opposite imo. You so many games from so many genres on so many platforms nowadays.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/16/18 at 5:57 pm

Oh, and I completely FORGOT to add this too. Hardly any of this was happening in the early 2010's and the 2000's. It still happened but not as rapidly as it's occurred the last few years. Isn't it so ironic that all of this started with police shootings and ISIS, now America is doing this to themselves? ISIS is saying "hahaha". It's almost like an evil divisive spirit has been sent across our nation. Since the rise of Donald Trump in 2016, this idiotic president has promoted division and hatred which has played a huge role in people no longer accepting people's opinions and getting overly offended. While at the same time racist people believe they can say whatever the hell they want to. Since the start of 2018 (only a little over a month!), there have already been 18 school shootings, including that tragic high school shooting that recently occurred in Florida. Oh man, people committing suicide due to cyberbullying has occurred more often as well. In fact, people going on more of a rampage like SHOOTING UP A SCHOOL (due to getting overly offended) has been the biggest problem.
Yeah, it's very sad :(. There have been way too many shootings these last few years. I watched the news all the time in the 00s and the early 10s and I don't remember shootings constantly happening almost every other day.

Really? You guys don't remember the prevalence of terrorism in the 2000s? The freakin' War on Terror? I was on a plane in winter 2009 that almost fell victim to a terror attack. Luckily they stopped the guy and I'm here to talk about it today.
I most certainly do. Yes, there was definitely terrorism in the 00s, but the difference between now and then is that they weren't common as they are today.

Quite the opposite IMO. You so many games from so many genres on so many platforms nowadays.
If you're talking about underground, then yes I agree; however, for the mainstream, there's none at all.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/16/18 at 6:45 pm

Yeah, it's very sad :(. There have been way too many shootings these last few years. I watched the news all the time in the 00s and the early 10s and I don't remember shootings constantly happening almost every other day.
I most certainly do. Yes, there was definitely terrorism in the 00s, but the difference between now and then is that they weren't common as they are today.

In response to this, many people claim we weren't seeing as many school shootings or terrorists atracks back then because technology was less advanced and it was harder to exchange information about the world. I used to believe that was a plausible explanation but not so much now. I mean, it may be true to an extent but I do not believe that explains the seemingly increase in mass shootings. It's not like the 2000s were primitive. The technology then was a lot better than it was in the 90s.

Written By: Milk on 02/16/18 at 7:46 pm

In response to this, many people claim we weren't seeing as many school shootings or terrorists atracks back then because technology was less advanced and it was harder to exchange information about the world. I used to believe that was a plausible explanation but not so much now. I mean, it may be true to an extent but I do not believe that explains the seemingly increase in mass shootings. It's not like the 2000s were primitive. The technology then was a lot better than it was in the 90s.

People act like there was no internet in the 2000s lol

Written By: mqg96 on 02/16/18 at 10:50 pm

People act like there was no internet in the 2000s lol

There was internet in the 90's too, but people don't want to admit it because everybody either only had dial up or the WWW only used for certain jobs. Here's the difference, there was hardly any SOCIAL MEDIA. There is a gigantic difference between just having internet and also having SOCIAL MEDIA. Like piecesof93 mentioned, social media makes information get out there much faster which has had a HUGE impact on our society and culture the past decade or so. Social media didn't start growing in huge numbers until the 2nd half of the 2000's and even then it was not as advanced or as dominant as it's been throughout the 2010's. The question is when does a pop cultural icon become mainstream and a big part of our everyday society? When did people start having high speed internet on multiple platforms and not just desktop or laptop computers? Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube are the BIG FOUR. When you watched ESPN or CNN back in the 2000's, none of the commentators, analysts, or reporters had the captions of "following me @____, etc." You see that everywhere you go now. Do you realize that social media has caused cyberbullying and more suicide stories? Social media (depending on what the situation is) has gotten in people's heads and affected their actions in the real world which have been consequential (DING DING!).

Written By: kingofthetemple on 02/16/18 at 11:58 pm

These school shootings and terrorism  been going strong since like 2012 tbh.

Written By: Howard on 02/17/18 at 5:33 am

These school shootings and terrorism got been going strong since like 2012 tbh.

now it seems to happen every month or every other month.

Written By: Shemp97 on 02/17/18 at 5:43 pm

I've been tired of it since 2014.

Written By: christopher on 02/18/18 at 1:18 pm

Digging up? With 9-to-5 tiring jobs most people have little time to dig up underground music.

@mqg96, don't forget that before social media the forums/message boards were THE social media networks. Yes, celebrities, polititians and TV hosts didn't pollute them with their annoying presence, so they were for the ordinary people. But that made them far more real. In 2003-2006 web forums were the most popular way of communication, while IM and chat was already in decline in 2005 (IM and web chats were mostly a 1998-2002 thing).

Written By: 2001 on 02/18/18 at 2:07 pm

Digging up? With 9-to-5 tiring jobs most people have little time to dig up underground music.

@mqg96, don't forget that before social media the forums/message boards were THE social media networks. Yes, celebrities, polititians and TV hosts didn't pollute them with their annoying presence, so they were for the ordinary people. But that made them far more real. In 2003-2006 web forums were the most popular way of communication, while IM and chat was already in decline in 2005 (IM and web chats were mostly a 1998-2002 thing).

I listen to Spotify at work :P

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/18/18 at 4:28 pm

In response to this, many people claim we weren't seeing as many school shootings or terrorist attacks back then because the technology was less advanced and it was harder to exchange information about the world. I used to believe that was a plausible explanation but not so much now. I mean, it may be true to an extent but I do not believe that explains the seemingly increase in mass shootings. It's not like the 2000s were primitive. The technology then was a lot better than it was in the 90s.
They sure weren't. The 00s were technologically advanced to where not only people watched the news on TV, but they read the newspapers and could also see what was breaking news on the front pages of Yahoo, AOL, MSN etc.

There were definitely terrorist attacks and shootings in the 00s and every era before that. The difference is that they weren't increasingly common like you said. That is what is terrifying people.

There was internet in the 90's too, but people don't want to admit it because everybody either only had dial-up or the WWW only used for certain jobs. Here's the difference, there was hardly any SOCIAL MEDIA. There is a gigantic difference between just having internet and also having SOCIAL MEDIA. Like piecesof93 mentioned, social media makes information get out there much faster which has had a HUGE impact on our society and culture the past decade or so. Social media didn't start growing in huge numbers until the 2nd half of the 2000's and even then it was not as advanced or as dominant as it's been throughout the 2010's. The question is when does a pop cultural icon become mainstream and a big part of our everyday society? When did people start having high-speed internet on multiple platforms and not just desktop or laptop computers? Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube are the BIG FOUR. When you watched ESPN or CNN back in the 2000's, none of the commentators, analysts, or reporters had the captions of "following me @____, etc." You see that everywhere you go now. Do you realize that social media has caused cyberbullying and more suicide stories? Social media (depending on what the situation is) has gotten in people's heads and affected their actions in the real world which have been consequential (DING DING!).
Yeah, people have gotten in trouble for something bad even if it was minor and has caused others to lash at them making statements such as "That person should go to jail", "That person deserves to die for being addicted to drugs", "These people shouldn't have had kids". It's really awful.

Written By: John Titor on 02/18/18 at 6:21 pm

not true AIM was thriving in 2005 2006 and early 2007

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/18/18 at 7:27 pm

I listen to Spotify at work :P

Yeah lol I use YouTube I’m not sure how it’s difficult for anybody to find obscure music.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/19/18 at 3:30 pm

Despite all of this, it didn't impact our everyday pop culture like the BIG FOUR have today. Nothing compares to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. I would say MySpace and early YouTube was the early social media duo of the 2nd half of the 2000's when it was growing until Facebook took over towards the end of the 2000's and Twitter got popular in the early 2010's. I consider the 1st half of the 2000's the last time there was a world and culture without social media. The 2nd half of the 2000's was the transitional period. The 2010's have been full force a social media dominated world and culture.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/19/18 at 4:34 pm

I still don't have Instagram and I am quite happy about that.  :) I like social media though. But I find Instagram very useless for my needs.

Written By: 2001 on 02/19/18 at 4:56 pm

I still don't have Instagram and I am quite happy about that.  :) I like social media though. But I find Instagram very useless for my needs.

I like it more than Facebook since there are no conspiracy theories/dumb health advice/dumb viral videos/political posts/just stupid sh*t in general on there. However, some people post way too many selfies of them doing nothing special. I did have one cousin (who's much younger) who posted Justin Bieber and Shawn Mendes photos all day, it would flood my timeline. Thankfully Instagram released an update that burries spammer posts, so I see less pointless selfies/Justin Bieber nowadays.

Written By: pink.panda_v3 on 02/19/18 at 6:01 pm

I like it more than Facebook since there are no conspiracy theories/dumb health advice/dumb viral videos/political posts/just stupid sh*t in general on there. However, some people post way too many selfies of them doing nothing special. I did have one cousin (who's much younger) who posted Justin Bieber and Shawn Mendes photos all day, it would flood my timeline. Thankfully Instagram released an update that burries spammer posts, so I see less pointless selfies/Justin Bieber nowadays.

I prefer Instagram over Facebook. Facebook is boring. I don't want to be on a social media site where my dad posts selfies of himself without a shirt after going to the gym. He does this on Instagram but at least you can make it private. ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 02/19/18 at 6:03 pm

I can see the appeal of the 'gram in general, but it ain't something I'd like to use.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 02/19/18 at 6:24 pm

I prefer Instagram over Facebook. Facebook is boring. I don't want to be on a social media site where my dad posts selfies of himself without a shirt after going to the gym. He does this on Instagram but at least you can make it private. ;D

Oh god gross ;D You can mute him on Facebook. There's no way to mute on Instagram though as far as I know.

Written By: ofkx on 02/20/18 at 6:21 am

It's pretty good if you want memes lol. But in all seriousness, Instagram and Snapchat are currently the best platforms imo. They're both way better than Facebook, which is currently for the 35+ crowd.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/20/18 at 6:51 am

It's pretty good if you want memes lol. But in all seriousness, Instagram and Snapchat are currently the best platform imo. They're both way better than Facebook, which is currently for the 35+ crowd.

Facebook and Twitter have both been taken over by older folks the last few years, but young people still use it though. Just add or follow the folks you want to on both platforms or join certain groups, you'll be find. You're right though, Snapchat and Instagram are for the young folks only. Snapchat is so fun lol and Instagram live is pretty lit. However, my biggest problem with Instagram (this may be a good thing or a bad thing) is that it seems very female dominated like crazy. No I'm not being sexist. Okay, let me put it like this, you can use Instagram for whatever the hell you want to, but it seems like all the females on there pose themselves like models (fake) when they really don't look like that in real life. I have a love and hate feeling about this.

Written By: 2001 on 02/20/18 at 9:12 am

It's pretty good if you want memes lol. But in all seriousness, Instagram and Snapchat are currently the best platforms imo. They're both way better than Facebook, which is currently for the 35+ crowd.

I'm at that point where 35 year olds aren't old to me :P

Facebook and Twitter have both been taken over by older folks the last few years, but young people still use it though. Just add or follow the folks you want to on both platforms or join certain groups, you'll be find. You're right though, Snapchat and Instagram are for the young folks only. Snapchat is so fun lol and Instagram live is pretty lit. However, my biggest problem with Instagram (this may be a good thing or a bad thing) is that it seems very female dominated like crazy. No I'm not being sexist. Okay, let me put it like this, you can use Instagram for whatever the hell you want to, but it seems like all the females on there pose themselves like models (fake) when they really don't look like that in real life. I have a love and hate feeling about this.

This is true for some. Ridiculous caked up make up, and filtered to the max selfies. And they post like 10 of those a day doing nothing in particular!  I can see the fun in doing that every now and then, but for some it seems like that's all they do. I guess they do it for likes/validation, which is kind of sad.  :-X

I remember early Facebook was like this too (2008-2012, before the word selfie). People would go out for coffee and they'd come back with a new Facebook album with 200 pics "Trip to the coffee shop". One picture would suffice ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 02/20/18 at 2:33 pm

I'll stick with Facebook. Everyone I know has one. But I don't go on it often and don't have it installed on my phone anymore.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/20/18 at 2:35 pm

The fact more older folks use Facebook is a benefit imo. I don't care to see a bunch of teens posting 20 pictures of their time on the beach. I would much rather blend in with the mature, older crowd.

Written By: 2001 on 02/20/18 at 2:55 pm

The fact more older folks use Facebook is a benefit imo. I don't care to see a bunch of teens posting 20 pictures of their time on the beach. I would much rather blend in with the mature, older crowd.

I'd love to fit into the club too but once you get those 40+ people posting fake news and old wives tales on their timeline you can't help but scream "didn't your parents tell you not to believe everything you read on the Internet!!... Wait, it was exactly you who told me that in the '90s >:(" ;D

And yeah, I agree, I don't use Snapchat since it's mostly just teenage/university aged party people on it. It has the opposite problem of being too young.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/20/18 at 4:36 pm

It's pretty good if you want memes lol. But in all seriousness, Instagram and Snapchat are currently the best platforms IMO. They're both ways better than Facebook, which is currently for the 35+ crowd.

The fact older folks use Facebook is a benefit IMO. I don't care to see a bunch of teens posting 20 pictures of their time on the beach. I would much rather blend in with the mature, older crowd.

I'd love to fit into the club too but once you get those 40+ people posting fake news and old wives tales on their timeline you can't help but scream "didn't your parents tell you not to believe everything you read on the Internet!!... Wait, it was exactly you who told me that in the '90s >:(" ;D

And yeah, I agree, I don't use Snapchat since it's mostly just teenage/university aged party people on it. It has the opposite problem of being too young.

What! Not even! There are young folks who still use Facebook, especially since it's the most used platform for everyone. I agree on Instagram and Snapchat though. Those sites are more for the high school/college crowd than those above the demographic.

Facebook and Twitter have both been taken over by older folks the last few years, but young people still use it though. Just add or follow the folks you want to on both platforms or join certain groups, you'll be fine. You're right though, Snapchat and Instagram are for the young folks only. Snapchat is so fun lol and Instagram live is pretty lit. However, my biggest problem with Instagram (this may be a good thing or a bad thing) is that it seems very female dominated like crazy. No, I'm not being sexist. Okay, let me put it like this, you can use Instagram for whatever the hell you want to, but it seems like all the females on there pose themselves like models (fake) when they really don't look like that in real life. I have a love and hate feeling about this.
I agree! While most of the women are perfect 10s, some of them are also barbie-like making them almost a plastic doll.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/20/18 at 6:14 pm

I agree with this. I'm a sophomore in high school and I am honestly addicted to Snapchat. I'll take selfies of myself only with Snapchat and I can save them right on there without it taking up too much on my phone. I also love Instagram because of the funny memes I see on there.
One thing that is terrible about Snapchat now is their new update.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/20/18 at 7:39 pm

What! Not even! There are young folks who still use Facebook, especially since it's the most used platform for everyone. I agree on Instagram and Snapchat though. Those sites are more for the high school/college crowd than those above the demographic.

If you want to be specific. Snapchat is dominated by mostly teenagers and those in their 20's (ages 13-25). Instagram is for the teenage and entire young adult crowd through early 30's, about ages 13-34. Now there are SOME Instagram users age 35 & up, but usually it's only people with a business or famous celebrities.

Facebook is the only social media platform where almost everybody ranging from all ages uses this. Now I'll admit it seems like there were more middle school and high school kids using Facebook back then, and this is probably because Facebook was a lot hotter back in the late 00's and early 10's when older people weren't using it much yet. Facebook felt so different back then, but the last few years it feels like more and more adults have taken over the site. However like you said people all ages use this. When it comes to older adults around Generation X or even Baby Boomers, this will be the only social media platform they'll use, and a lot of these folks have been hypocrites of saying they'd never use social media their whole lives. There's even private Facebook groups for major businesses and projects as well, so this makes since. I would say the average Facebook age group is age 18-49. Meaning that teenagers and 50+ year old's outside the average use Facebook too.

Twitter is the most balanced social media platform worldwide. Young teenagers to prime adults use it. The most famous people in the world are guaranteed to have a Twitter 90%. When you watch TV shows, watch cereal or soap ad's, watch analysts on ESPN or news reporters on CNN, you'll always see the hashtag or following them @XXXXX. I'm going to make this very clear, if you're part of the millennial generation, the majority of your age group have used ALL of these social media platforms. Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, Vine (before it died), MySpace (before it died), Periscope, Twitch, WorldStarHipHop, etc. all of these. You can deny it all you want. Millennials are the guinea pigs of the social media age. It started with MySpace in the mid 2000's, then early YouTube came long, and the rest was history.

Written By: ofkx on 02/21/18 at 5:21 am

I agree! While most of the women are perfect 10s, some of them are also barbie-like making them almost a plastic doll.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/facebook-quit-young-people-social-media-snapchat-instagram-emarketer-a8206486.html?amp

Written By: mqg96 on 02/21/18 at 8:42 am

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/facebook-quit-young-people-social-media-snapchat-instagram-emarketer-a8206486.html?amp

All of my friends (or acquaintances) still use Facebook, but that's probably because a lot of us created ours between 2009 and 2011 when we were young teens, and back then Facebook had A LOT more teens than it does now. That was around the time Facebook had taken over MySpace so it was hot at the time. Hardly any of us have gotten rid of our Facebook, we want to keep ours because we've had ours for awhile. Now had we been younger around your age, we probably would have only done Twitter, Snapchat, or Instagram. One of my youngest sisters is a freshman in high school and doesn't do Facebook, but my sister who's a sophomore in college still does, and she created hers when she was in 7th grade.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/21/18 at 10:37 pm

If you want to be specific. Snapchat is dominated by mostly teenagers and those in their 20's (ages 13-25). Instagram is for the teenage and entire young adult crowd through early 30's, about ages 13-34. Now there are some Instagram users age 35 & up, but, usually, it's only people with a business or famous celebrities.

Facebook is the only social media platform where almost everybody ranging from all ages uses this. Now I'll admit it seems like there were more middle school and high school kids using Facebook back then, and this is probably because Facebook was a lot hotter back in the late 00's and early 10's when older people weren't using it much yet. Facebook felt so different back then, but the last few years it feels like more and more adults have taken over the site. However like you said people all ages use this. When it comes to older adults around Generation X or even Baby Boomers, this will be the only social media platform they'll use, and a lot of these folks have been hypocrites of saying they'd never use social media their whole lives. There's even private Facebook groups for major businesses and projects as well, so this makes since. I would say the average Facebook age group is age 18-49. Meaning that teenagers and 50+ year old's outside the average use Facebook too.

Twitter is the most balanced social media platform worldwide. Young teenagers to prime adults use it. The most famous people in the world are guaranteed to have a Twitter 90%. When you watch TV shows, watch cereal or soap ad's, watch analysts on ESPN or news reporters on CNN, you'll always see the hashtag or following them @XXXXX. I'm going to make this very clear, if you're part of the millennial generation, the majority of your age group have used ALL of these social media platforms. Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, Vine (before it died), MySpace (before it died), Periscope, Twitch, WorldStarHipHop, etc. all of these. You can deny it all you want. Millennials are the guinea pigs of the social media age. It started with MySpace in the mid 2000's, then early YouTube came long, and the rest was history.

All of my friends (or acquaintances) still use Facebook, but that's probably because a lot of us created ours between 2009 and 2011 when we were young teens, and back then Facebook had A LOT more teens than it does now. That was around the time Facebook had taken over MySpace so it was hot at the time. Hardly any of us have gotten rid of our Facebook, we want to keep ours because we've had ours for awhile. Now had we been younger around your age, we probably would have only done Twitter, Snapchat, or Instagram. One of my youngest sisters is a freshman in high school and doesn't do Facebook, but my sister who's a sophomore in college still does, and she created hers when she was in 7th grade.
I agree on the age spans and the descriptions for each social media site. There's no undeniable fact that Snapchat is dominated by young folks especially gen Zers. Same with Instagram. Everyone's profile I visited is within that range and not over 35.

Yeah, Facebook will always be the #1 site for everyone regardless of age. I would say twitter too, but that seems to be more for famous people of all age groups rather than everyday folks. I additionally agree that Millennials have generally used all the social media you mentioned, but you're forgetting one more and it was also significant for its time. AOL! Most older Millennials have seriously denied they didn't grow up with Social media back then. However, what they keep forgetting is that they were the high school and college students when AOL was huge and they were the majority of the userbase chatting with their friends and strangers. People are doing the exact thing today with the current social media and they don't even realize it. It's so minding blogging how hypocritical they are. It's like don't recall being the mainly the first to use a major Social media site. There's no way the older generations at that time could have used it since to them, it was more of a thing for young people. Besides, there are lots of older Millennials who still have an AOL or Hotmail email which they would have needed to sign up for.

So do mine. I don't think we'll ever feel the need to delete our facebooks and move on to the next since like you said, we have had it for a long time and it's become like a best friend to us.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 02/22/18 at 12:47 am

If you want to be specific. Snapchat is dominated by mostly teenagers and those in their 20's (ages 13-25). Instagram is for the teenage and entire young adult crowd through early 30's, about ages 13-34. Now there are SOME Instagram users age 35 & up, but usually it's only people with a business or famous celebrities.

I wouldn't say all but most of us have used several of it.

I've used:
Twitter
MySpace
YouTube
Facebook

I've been on Instagram once in a blue moon. The others I haven't really used.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/28/18 at 7:52 am

Shoutout to you, Slim:

be_HVMwiBAM

Written By: 2001 on 03/04/18 at 7:08 pm

Shoutout to you, Slim:

be_HVMwiBAM

That guy who wrote that question sounds like a thoroughly unpleasant person.

Written By: Wobo on 03/05/18 at 9:44 pm

Nope not at all.

Written By: Wobo on 03/05/18 at 9:46 pm

I'm 13 and I don't even use Snapchat it's confusing boring and just no.  8-P

Written By: Slim95 on 03/05/18 at 10:54 pm

I'm 13 and I don't even use Snapchat it's confusing boring and just no.  8-P

You're 13!?  :o Wow you're young.

Written By: Wobo on 03/05/18 at 11:05 pm

You just noticed that?  :P

Written By: christopher on 03/13/18 at 5:18 am

I’m bored with wheat, it makes me feel bad. :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/18 at 5:30 am

Oh! to be so young again?

Written By: APDCR1990 on 03/13/18 at 12:49 pm

Most older Millennials have seriously denied they didn't grow up with Social media back then. However, what they keep forgetting is that they were the high school and college students when AOL was huge and they were the majority of the userbase chatting with their friends and strangers. People are doing the exact thing today with the current social media and they don't even realize it. It's so minding blogging how hypocritical they are. It's like don't recall being the mainly the first to use a major Social media site. There's no way the older generations at that time could have used it since to them, it was more of a thing for young people. Besides, there are lots of older Millennials who still have an AOL or Hotmail email which they would have needed to sign up for.

Yep. I signed up for AOL at age 9 (circa 1999) and remember a lot of my friends doing the same around that time as well. None of us had cell phones in the late 90s/early 00s, so it was common to use AIM to hit up friends. I can remember each of us had an AIM profile, but it wasn't used in the same way as Myspace and later Facebook. Many AIM profiles were simply blank.

Written By: 2001 on 03/13/18 at 12:58 pm

Oh! to be so young again?

No thanks ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/18 at 12:59 pm

No thanks ;D
With all my aches and pains?

Written By: 2001 on 03/13/18 at 1:03 pm

With all my aches and pains?

I think I'd rather lose a leg than go back to middle school :P

Written By: Dundee on 03/13/18 at 1:22 pm

I think I'd rather lose a leg than go back to middle school :P
Why not? Bet you miss all those juicy ringtones ;D
iEe_eraFWWs

Written By: bchris02 on 03/13/18 at 7:31 pm

Considering the fact that 2018 has been the worst year in my personal life since 2013 or 2014....I would say yes I am ready for this decade to be over.  I don't see much improving between now and 2020 anyways.  I've not had a year I really enjoyed and been happy with my life since 2011.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/13/18 at 7:34 pm

Considering the fact that 2018 has been the worst year in my personal life since 2013 or 2014....I would say yes I am ready for this decade to be over.  I don't see much improving between now and 2020 anyways.  I've not had a year I really enjoyed and been happy with my life since 2011.

We still have 9 whole months until 2018 is over. There is still plenty of time to make this year better.

Written By: 2001 on 03/13/18 at 7:36 pm

Is it because of your sister?  :( I hope she and you are doing okay.

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/13/18 at 7:38 pm

Why not? Bet you miss all those juicy ringtones ;D
iEe_eraFWWs

-5x_dmI9e6Y

Can you believe this is the same group?

Written By: bchris02 on 03/13/18 at 9:09 pm

Is it because of your sister?  :( I hope she and you are doing okay.

She is recovering.  Thanks for asking.

I've been dealing with loads of religious homophobic bullsheesh.  I'm sick of it.

Written By: 2001 on 03/13/18 at 9:50 pm

I've been dealing with loads of religious homophobic bullsheesh.  I'm sick of it.

Sorry you have still have to deal with that in 2018  8-P

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/13/18 at 10:30 pm

I hope you two get out of that nightmare town soon. It's really worth it. The fact that those types of people keep putting LGBT folks down when it shouldn't even be bothering them just shows hypocritical they are when they say they are loving and accepting of others.

Sorry you have still had to deal with that in 2018  8-P
Same here. I hope he is able to move to a liberal city or state. Too much negativity can cause depression and make one give up hope.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/14/18 at 10:57 am

-5x_dmI9e6Y

Can you believe this is the same group?

No offense, but I don’t understand the appeal. To quote The Office, it’s rock and roll for people who don't like rock and roll. It's rap for people who don't like rap. It's pop for people who don't like pop.

Written By: 2001 on 03/14/18 at 10:59 am

I forgot to say, I'm happy to hear your sister is recovering. Having to deal with the homophobic nonsense is sheeshty though.  :-\\

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/14/18 at 11:02 am

No offense, but I don’t understand the appeal. To quote The Office, it’s rock and roll for people who don't like rock and roll. It's rap for people who don't like rap. It's pop for people who don't like pop.

The appeal of what exactly?

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/14/18 at 11:04 am

The appeal of what exactly?

Black Eyed Peas. I mean no offense if you like them, it’s my personal taste.

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/14/18 at 11:10 am

Black Eyed Peas. I mean no offense if you like them, it’s my personal taste.

You're entitled to your personal taste. I was never crazy about them but they used to come out with some good songs here and there. I'll take this song over every single rap song in the top 100:
If you don't like this song, I'd actually like to know why.

KNnozIkedGQ

Written By: bchris02 on 03/14/18 at 1:05 pm

I hope you two get out of that nightmare town soon. It's really worth it. The fact that those types of people keep putting LGBT folks down when it shouldn't even be bothering them just shows hypocritical they are when they say they are loving and accepting of others.
Same here. I hope he is able to move to a liberal city or state. Too much negativity can cause depression and make one give up hope.

Thanks.  I was discussing leaving with a friend last night actually as its almost all I think about these days.  However, when I do the math there is just no way its feasible before April 2020 unless I want to risk bankruptcy, homelessness, or both.  I made an unthinkably dumb financial decision in 2014 that has prolonged my time here by several years.  Had I not have made that decision, I would have been out of here in 2016.

I am reaching a breaking point though when it comes to the relentless negativity.  I really need to find a way to refocus to get through these next two years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/18 at 6:09 am

I am getting tired of the aches and pains by body has gained since 2010!

Written By: mwalker1996 on 04/10/18 at 6:42 am

Facts, we 96 borns entered our adolescent years during the golden age of social media. Just when MySpace was falling off then Facebook and Twitter came in. All my friends and peers from high school still use Facebook my younger brother whose only a year younger fell out of Facebook back in late 2011 when instagram and kiik were new. Most teens nowadays are on Snapchat and Instagram, but I know a lot of Teens who only use Facebook (yes they exist believe it or not). At my community college which has a early college program  (a program were high school kids can go to college from grades 9-12 or sometimes 13 and graduate with a 2 year degree) a lot of the kids I interacted with don't use social media despite being gen z'ers, but the ones that do tend be on Snapchat the most.

Written By: AnakinSkywanker on 04/30/18 at 5:55 am

Yes I'm very sick of them. 2016 felt like the grand finale of 10's culture, and everything after Nov 8 of that year has been filler while we wait for the 2020's (altho 2017 was personally a great year for me).

Written By: LooseBolt on 04/30/18 at 6:49 am

everything after Nov 8 of that year has been filler while we wait for the 2020's (altho 2017 was personally a great year for me).

While I don’t dislike ‘10s culture, I think you pretty much nailed it with this.

Written By: ofkx on 04/30/18 at 8:37 am

Yes I'm very sick of them. 2016 felt like the grand finale of 10's culture, and everything after Nov 8 of that year has been filler while we wait for the 2020's (altho 2017 was personally a great year for me).

While I'm not sick of the 2010s, I completely agree that 2016 was the last year that REALLY felt like 2010s. After that just feels like 2010s but low-key.

Written By: Early2002 on 04/30/18 at 10:20 am

2016 was the grand finale of  the era
of  Late 2008-  2016
When Obama was elected until Trump was elected

Written By: Wobo on 04/30/18 at 2:08 pm

Well rest in peace 2010s culture 2009-2016.

Check for new replies or respond here...