inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2010s pop culture that will NOT age well in the future

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/08/18 at 8:35 pm

What are things you can think of? I have thought about this for a few days, and what came to mind was that trap/mumble rap are going to age so bad it's not going to be funny at all, and it could make crunk/snap/ringtone rap look better in hindsight.

Subject: Re: 2010s pop culture that will NOT age well in the future

Written By: musicguy93 on 02/08/18 at 9:57 pm

Yeah, trap rap (and the culture surrounding it) will be painfully dated in about 5-6 years from now. This may be a bit controversial, but I also think that EDM (at least in its current form) will also die out. Now don't get me wrong I think electronic music as a whole is here to stay. It's been around for several decades so I don't see it going away. However the current EDM craze (along with the culture will DEFINITELY die off once this decade is over). Indie/hipster pop as well as the whole hipster-folk (or Americana) craze will also seem horribly dated. Speaking of which, the influence hipster and athleisure/dudebro/girl styles in virtually all areas of fashion, will also age horribly. Undercuts and man buns will be thrown out the dumpster. I don't know man, there's way too many fashion and music trends that will age horribly.

In terms of T.V. shows and movies, the whole "trying to hard to be dark and deep" trend will seem dated. Don't get me wrong, there will always be T.V. shows/movies with darker stories. However it'll hopefully be a more authentic kind of dark that seems more natural. Hopefully we get a mix of lighthearted stuff and darker stuff overall, and that we get a variety of different genres like we used to in previous decades. I also hope that Hollywood can ease up on the remakes and superhero movies. I'm not against either of these types of movies, heck I like some of them. I just think they should cut down on them, and go for some different ideas. Like with T.V. shows, movies thrive on variety.

In terms of politics, hopefully the current political situation (ie., the SJW and Alt Right conflict), will done and over with. Extremism is a destructive force.

Written By: Milk on 02/08/18 at 11:05 pm

everything lol and it's gonna happen soon

Written By: ofkx on 02/09/18 at 8:38 am

Tbh I feel like there's lots of stuff to be nostalgic about in the future like (HARMLESS) challenges like the cinnamon challenge back in 2012 , dances like Gangnam Style and the Harlem Shake, great tv shows such as Game Of Thrones and Stranger Things, amazing movies, and fashion that is an improvement from the 2000s imo.
"Mumble" rap was basically non-existent before 2015 and I don't believe it will disappear soon enough to be considered a 2010s thing.

Written By: Shemp97 on 02/09/18 at 6:52 pm

Pretty much everything 2012-2016 is cringeworthy now. I can't watch a YouTube video or TV show from around that time that doesn't drop some trendy phrase or "joke" that makes me shrink in my seat. It feels like popculture of each year is less and less likely to survive the end of the decade without ridicule. 

Written By: christopher on 02/09/18 at 7:42 pm

Anything that is just produced to cash in on a trend.
The defining songs, movies, etc. of a particular period usually age better
It's a bit off-topic but compare how I Should Be So Lucky/Never Gonna Give You Up/Sonia Evans' 80s songs aged vs Billie Jean/Thriller or to keep it to same producers You Spin Me Round/Venus/Mel and Kim's Respectable.

So songs that are formulaic clones age worse than those that define a producers' work, an album, or an era. Producers usually have a peak and after that their output becomes unimaginative, watered down copycats of their previous works (see Stock Aitken Waterman). Novelty songs also usually don't age well as they're just too attached to a particular time period.

For me it's strange how most hits from 2010-2013, although dated still sound fresher and classier than 2014-2016.

Written By: J. Rob on 02/11/18 at 3:23 pm

The "ghetto white girl" era (Miley, Iggy, Danielle Bregoli......)

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/11/18 at 4:49 pm

As much as I like the 2010's pop culture, I have a feeling that this decade will age so badly, especially when it comes to the fashion and trap rap and the memes. It kind of makes me wonder how 2010's nostalgia will look in the 2030's. The only part of the 2010's that I think won't age too badly is 2010 and 2011.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/11/18 at 6:56 pm

Tbh I feel like there's lots of stuff to be nostalgic about in the future like (HARMLESS) challenges like the cinnamon challenge back in 2012 , dances like Gangnam Style and the Harlem Shake, great tv shows such as Game Of Thrones and Stranger Things, amazing movies, and fashion that is an improvement from the 2000s imo.
"Mumble" rap was basically non-existent before 2015 and I don't believe it will disappear soon enough to be considered a 2010s thing.

Yeah, people will most likely be nostalgic about those things. Especially, the dances.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/11/18 at 7:16 pm

Kesha??  ???

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/11/18 at 7:47 pm

I can't wait to reflect on the things that "age badly". What's so fun about a culture that doesn't age badly?

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/11/18 at 9:01 pm

I can't wait to reflect on the things that "age badly". What's so fun about a culture that doesn't age badly?

Same lol

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/11/18 at 9:59 pm

As much as I like the 2010's pop culture, I have a feeling that this decade will age so badly, especially when it comes to the fashion and trap rap and the memes. It kind of makes me wonder how 2010's nostalgia will look in the 2030's. The only part of the 2010's that I think won't age too badly is 2010 and 2011.

I agree. While those two years will obviously look older in aesthetics, probably not so much culturally because they're not as cringe as 2012/3-present lol ;D

Written By: Dundee on 02/12/18 at 3:30 am

Hard to tell because, well, we're still in it. Looking at the earlier part of this decade, all the electropop craze (Black Eyed Peas, Lady Gaga, Kesha, LFMAO and co.) already sounds really dated by now (the constrast with that and the current alt R&B craze is staggering). That's already one thing.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/12/18 at 6:35 pm

Hard to tell because, well, we're still in it. Looking at the earlier part of this decade, all the electropop craze (Black Eyed Peas, Lady Gaga, Kesha, LFMAO and co.) already sounds really dated by now (the constrast with that and the current alt R&B craze is staggering). That's already one thing.

Songs from 2010 are so dated that I actually remember hearing the song "Love The Way You Lie" on the throwback station in December.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/12/18 at 10:34 pm

Yeah, trap rap (and the culture surrounding it) will painfully age in about 5-6 years from now. This post may be a bit controversial, but I also think that EDM (at least in its current form) will also die out. Now don't get me wrong I think electronic music as a whole is here to stay. It's been around for several decades, so I don't see it going away. However the current EDM craze (along with the culture will die off once this decade is over). Indie/hipster pop, as well as the whole hipster-folk (or Americana) craze, will also seem dated. Speaking of which, the influence hipster and athleisure/dudebro/girl styles in virtually all areas of fashion will also age horribly. People will be throwing Undercuts and man buns out of the dumpster. I don't know; there are way too many fashion and music trends that will age horribly.

Regarding T.V. shows and movies, the whole "trying too hard to be dark and deep" trend will seem dated. Don't get me wrong; there will always be T.V. shows/movies with darker stories. However, it'll hopefully be a more authentic kind of dark that seems more natural. Hopefully, we get a mix of lighthearted stuff and darker stuff overall, and that we get a variety of different genres as we used to in previous decades. I also hope that Hollywood can ease up on the remakes and superhero movies. I'm not against either of these types of movies, heck I like some of them. I just think they should cut down on them, and go for some different ideas. Like with T.V. shows, movies thrive on variety.

Regarding politics, hopefully, the current political situation (i.e., the SJW and Alt-Right conflict), well done and over with for good. Extremism is a destructive force.

This!! I agree with your entire post.

everything lol and it's going to happen soon
I have that same feeling too.

As much as I like the 2010's pop culture, I have a feeling that this decade will age so badly, especially when it comes to the fashion and trap rap and the memes. It makes me wonder how 2010's nostalgia will look in the 2030's. The only part of the 2010's that I think won't age too badly is 2010 and 2011.
Agreed! I think the early 10s will age very well in the future compared to the rest of the era.

Anything that is just produced to cash in on a trend.
The defining songs, movies, etc. of a particular period usually age better
It's a bit off-topic but compare how I Should Be So Lucky/Never Gonna Give You Up/Sonia Evans' 80s songs aged vs. Billie Jean/Thriller or to keep it to same producers You Spin Me Round/Venus/Mel and Kim's Respectable.

So songs that are formulaic clones age worse than those that define a producers' work, an album, or an era. Producers usually have a peak and after that their output becomes unimaginative, watered down copycats of their previous works (see Stock Aitken Waterman). Novelty songs also usually don't age well as they're just too attached to a particular period.

For me, it's strange how most hits from 2010-2013, although dated still sound fresher and classier than 2014-2016.
I have thought the same way. The songs from the early 10s sound much better.

The "ghetto white girl" era (Miley, Iggy, Danielle Bregoli......)
That will always age badly. ;D

Written By: popguru85 on 02/13/18 at 12:55 am

The Fifty Shades trilogy
the extreme points of view on everything
Hipster music and fashions
Jersey Shore
Snapchat & Instagram filters
The Kardashians

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/13/18 at 1:08 am

The Tide Pod Challenge.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/13/18 at 2:27 am

Yaay! I hope it ages horribly. That means we lived through a unique time.  Screw aging gracefully.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/13/18 at 2:52 am

Yaay! I hope it ages horribly. The means we lived through a unique time.  Screw aging gracefully.

I know right! It would be boring otherwise. :P

Written By: bchris02 on 02/13/18 at 11:34 pm

The Walking Dead.

It's really hard to believe the show is still on.  It jumped the shark all the way back in season 3.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/13/18 at 11:45 pm

I have thought the same way. The songs from the early 10s sound much better.

I would say pop and EDM since about mid 2017 has shared more similarities with the early '10s than the mid '10s.  It makes perfect sense that early '10s hits sound fresher when compared with current music.  The big thing that's currently missing is we don't have a superstar on the level of what Lady Gaga was in 2010-11.

I think mid '10s music, dominated by the likes of Ariana Grande/Becky G as well as indie hipster bands will age poorly.  In many ways it already is dated.  Reading this thread I was thinking about how bands like the Lumineers and Twenty-One Pilots seemingly dropped off the face of the earth.  Imagine Dragons has come back this year but their latest music sounds pretty different from their mid '10s stuff.  Honestly I'll miss that genre, especially the indie-folk stuff.

Hip-hop is another story.  The early '10s were a very different, superior era.

Written By: Looney Toon on 02/13/18 at 11:50 pm

Yaay! I hope it ages horribly. That means we lived through a unique time.  Screw aging gracefully.

This is how and why old decades have a unique feel to them. But like the '80s because it was unique, but that is also why it didn't age very well culturally. The 2010s originally started as just a 2000s continuation, but now as we start seeing more things that comes off as "Very '10s" the idea of the decade aging horribly becomes more obvious.

For pop culture to not become overly dated it would have to be very toned down or in the 2000s case just not give itself much of a unique identity to begin with.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/14/18 at 12:05 am

For pop culture to not become overly dated it would have to be very toned down or in the 2000s case just not give itself much of a unique identity to begin with.

I don't think this is completely the case.  For one, I think music from the '90s has aged quite well especially compared to the '80s.  The '90s did have its cheesy fads that didn't age well such as europop, but overall '90s music holds up today.  Yet, nobody can deny that the '90s have their own unique feel and character.  I think the '00s have aged more poorly than the '90s, especially a lot of the hip-hop and emo fashion.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/14/18 at 12:27 am

I would say pop and EDM since about mid 2017 has shared more similarities with the early '10s than the mid '10s.  It makes perfect sense that early '10s hits sound fresher when compared with current music.  The big thing that's currently missing is we don't have a superstar on the level of what Lady Gaga was in 2010-11.

I think mid '10s music, dominated by the likes of Ariana Grande/Becky G as well as indie hipster bands will age poorly.  In many ways it already is dated.  Reading this thread I was thinking about how bands like the Lumineers and Twenty-One Pilots seemingly dropped off the face of the earth.  Imagine Dragons has come back this year but their latest music sounds pretty different from their mid '10s stuff.  Honestly I'll miss that genre, especially the indie-folk stuff.

Hip-hop is another story.  The early '10s were a very different, superior era.

Which indie hipster bands? I liked indie hipster music and they were nowhere to be found in the popular culture during the mid 2010s while I was looking for them.

Written By: Looney Toon on 02/14/18 at 1:12 am

I don't think this is completely the case.  For one, I think music from the '90s has aged quite well especially compared to the '80s.  The '90s did have its cheesy fads that didn't age well such as europop, but overall '90s music holds up today.  Yet, nobody can deny that the '90s have their own unique feel and character.  I think the '00s have aged more poorly than the '90s, especially a lot of the hip-hop and emo fashion.

From what I could see the cheesy '90s pop that didn't seem to age as well mostly (I say mostly, not all) seemed to have came from the early '90s. I assume the late 80s left over pop sound influence that was still around during '90 - '92 is what caused early '90s pop to sound more dated. Especially compared to pop from say 1996 or so when the 80s pop song was completely removed. Most pop music from the mid-late 90s has aged a little better (although they still sound a bit dated to me, but how dated they seem may just depend on the genre and artist). For example New Jack Swing was big during the late 80s/early 90s, but by the mid 1990s the genre was seen as outdated (you still had some hits like Montell Jordan's "This is how we do it", but this doesn't compare to all the hits you'd find in just 1990 alone) and largely replaced by things like Hip Hop Soul and Gangsta Rap.

Now don't take that as me attacking 80s pop as I do love 80s pop (and by extension early 90s pop for that matter). Late 90s pop is what created the bridge to the pop music of the 21st century in my eyes (at least initially). I don't find 2000s pop to be as dated, but again genres evolve at different times.

Written By: christopher on 02/14/18 at 4:04 am

What? Bananarama's moody tunes before Venus (Robert DeNiro, Wish You Were Here, Cheers Then, Shy Boy, Rough Justice) today seem much better and are actually quite hip(ster), so they stand the time better than 90's pop like the Spice girls and all their clones. They were of their time, but the early/mid 80's was a quite hipster time so it makes sense for them to sound fresher than the overproduced, fake-sounding pop of the late 80's and most of the 90's. I think usually pop sounds more DIY, hip and experimental in the earlier parts of decades. The early 90's had better pop than the late 90's Only All Saints stand the test of time of all the 90's pop groups and maybe some Destiny's Child hits also seem timeless.

I know that There She Goes sounds better now than all the late 90's pop hits.

Written By: Looney Toon on 02/14/18 at 1:35 pm

What? Bananarama's moody tunes before Venus (Robert DeNiro, Wish You Were Here, Cheers Then, Shy Boy, Rough Justice) today seem much better and are actually quite hip(ster), so they stand the time better than 90's pop like the Spice girls and all their clones. They were of their time, but the early/mid 80's was a quite hipster time so it makes sense for them to sound fresher than the overproduced, fake-sounding pop of the late 80's and most of the 90's. I think usually pop sounds more DIY, hip and experimental in the earlier parts of decades. The early 90's had better pop than the late 90's Only All Saints stand the test of time of all the 90's pop groups and maybe some Destiny's Child hits also seem timeless.

I know that There She Goes sounds better now than all the late 90's pop hits.

Guess whether not certain songs have aged better or worse is a subjective discussion based on one's tastes and critical look on pop music. I don't think all pop music from the '90s is timeless such as some late 90s teen pop or the late 90s/early 00s Bubblegum.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/14/18 at 2:11 pm

From what I could see the cheesy '90s pop that didn't seem to age as well mostly (I say mostly, not all) seemed to have came from the early '90s. I assume the late 80s left over pop sound influence that was still around during '90 - '92 is what caused early '90s pop to sound more dated. Especially compared to pop from say 1996 or so when the 80s pop song was completely removed. Most pop music from the mid-late 90s has aged a little better (although they still sound a bit dated to me, but how dated they seem may just depend on the genre and artist). For example New Jack Swing was big during the late 80s/early 90s, but by the mid 1990s the genre was seen as outdated (you still had some hits like Montell Jordan's "This is how we do it", but this doesn't compare to all the hits you'd find in just 1990 alone) and largely replaced by things like Hip Hop Soul and Gangsta Rap.

Now don't take that as me attacking 80s pop as I do love 80s pop (and by extension early 90s pop for that matter). Late 90s pop is what created the bridge to the pop music of the 21st century in my eyes (at least initially). I don't find 2000s pop to be as dated, but again genres evolve at different times.

I would say the early '90s were big for rock as that's when we saw grunge arrive shoving hair metal to the curb.  However I would say that pop music was still in the '80s up until around 1993.

Written By: Howard on 02/14/18 at 2:24 pm

The Tide Pod Challenge.

That fad will disappear when kids start to realize that the pods will kill them when ingested.

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 02/14/18 at 9:02 pm

Kinect, 3D movies, Fidget Spinners, just to name a few.

Check for new replies or respond here...