inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cultural overexposure?

Written By: christopher on 02/09/18 at 8:45 pm

Is there such a thing today with so much time spent online? In the past people had to tune in to MTV to watch new videos, now we have loads of old and new music videos on YouTube. We're constantly told what celebrities had for dinner, where they went for holidays, and basically every little detail. It seems before the Internet people anticipated new songs more as now we just have it all available. Spoiled for choice? I really enjoyed radio more when I went on a social media and Internet detox for some months not using the web at home save for some weekends. :) Only watched positive TV, mostly music videos, light documentaries and tennis.

I also had all social media, forums and news sites blocked. So I didn't even knew how Lorde looks as I was just hearing her big hit 'Royals' on the radio. I feel like all this overexposure of background info like personal lives of celebrities causes me to enjoy their products less. Also causes a bitter feeling when watching a movie or listening to the song of someone overly political or otherwise talking b.s. or being abusive etc. Also while I like researching things, the more I know about a subject, the more boring it seems.

But today with Google there are no unknown facts, no mysteries anymore. Nothing is just taken at face value, everything is researched, analyzed, categorized in those cute little boxes. I loved all One Direction hits on the radio but if I knew it was them I wouldn't enjoy them at all because it's 1D and I'm not their target audience, or so the critics, media, and Fb tells me. Or to give a music video/movie example. Before I'd watch a video or movie of a person and take it at face value, now we read online articles trying to nitpick and analyze every single thing and they put ideas in our head. Or telling us that this actor or singer is a climate denier or sth. Who really needs to know that? Are we in the era where we analyze anything to the point we enjoy things less for them just being? ::) It seems like just having fun and enjoyment of life is frowned upon and art has become only a vehicle for political or social agendas in the eyes of the journalists. :)

Subject: Re: Cultural overexposure?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/09/18 at 11:25 pm

On the bright side, having a smartphone gives me a convenient excuse to avoid talking to the asshole that comes to work every night at 7:30 while I'm on my lunch break.  ;D

Written By: Elor on 02/10/18 at 4:19 am

It's all choice IMHO. I haven't listened to the radio in weeks, I'm not on Facebook, I couldn't care less for celebrities (and strangely enough don't get any info on them as I don't look for it) etc. ;)
It's to the point that I actually have no idea what pop culture is like nowadays.
It's not like we're forced to consume all that crap that's available, it's by choice. ;)

Written By: Howard on 02/10/18 at 7:15 am

Is there such a thing today with so much time spent online? In the past people had to tune in to MTV to watch new videos, now we have loads of old and new music videos on YouTube. We're constantly told what celebrities had for dinner, where they went for holidays, and basically every little detail. It seems before the Internet people anticipated new songs more as now we just have it all available. Spoiled for choice? I really enjoyed radio more when I went on a social media and Internet detox for some months not using the web at home save for some weekends. :) Only watched positive TV, mostly music videos, light documentaries and tennis.

I also had all social media, forums and news sites blocked. So I didn't even knew how Lorde looks as I was just hearing her big hit 'Royals' on the radio. I feel like all this overexposure of background info like personal lives of celebrities causes me to enjoy their products less. Also causes a bitter feeling when watching a movie or listening to the song of someone overly political or otherwise talking b.s. or being abusive etc. Also while I like researching things, the more I know about a subject, the more boring it seems.

But today with Google there are no unknown facts, no mysteries anymore. Nothing is just taken at face value, everything is researched, analyzed, categorized in those cute little boxes. I loved all One Direction hits on the radio but if I knew it was them I wouldn't enjoy them at all because it's 1D and I'm not their target audience, or so the critics, media, and Fb tells me. Or to give a music video/movie example. Before I'd watch a video or movie of a person and take it at face value, now we read online articles trying to nitpick and analyze every single thing and they put ideas in our head. Or telling us that this actor or singer is a climate denier or sth. Who really needs to know that? Are we in the era where we analyze anything to the point we enjoy things less for them just being? ::) It seems like just having fun and enjoyment of life is frowned upon and art has become only a vehicle for political or social agendas in the eyes of the journalists. :)

Nope, In fact I enjoy spending time online, waking up in the morning, turning on the computer, checking my email, listening to 80's music while I check today's news articles and browsing through them and also I enjoy looking at hours and hours of YouTube, keeps me busy when I'm off for work.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/10/18 at 9:59 am

Betholt Brecht once observed that "art is not a mirror of reality but a hammer with which to shape it".  So art hasn't become a vehicle for agendas, it has always been one.  Even the King James version of the Bible was written with  a political agenda in mind.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/10/18 at 12:37 pm

It's all choice IMHO. I haven't listened to the radio in weeks, I'm not on Facebook, I couldn't care less for celebrities (and strangely enough don't get any info on them as I don't look for it) etc. ;)
It's to the point that I actually have no idea what pop culture is like nowadays.
It's not like we're forced to consume all that crap that's available, it's by choice. ;)

This.

I spend most of the day on my computer. I read the news, visit message boards (including this one), play games, watch videos. I also sell on-line (eBay, Craigslist). I create videos from my photos/videos (this is not necessarily on-line but on my computer). I write (again not on-line but on my computer). I do research on various topics and I shop. I usually have I don't know how many windows open at once. (At the moment it is 9 but it will probably increase as the day goes on.) I don't follow pop culture.

Am I productive? It depends on that definition. I like to think I am. I do have a lot to show for everything I have listed above. Especially the selling part when the bank account increases. Of course I am lazy when it comes to organizing my house but I am getting it a little at a time (especially as things get sold). I probably could get more done if I didn't play games but a person needs a bit of fun/distraction through all the noise. And besides, I am retired so life is supposed to be nothing but fun.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/10/18 at 4:25 pm

This.

I spend most of the day on my computer. I read the news, visit message boards (including this one), play games, watch videos. I also sell on-line (eBay, Craigslist). I create videos from my photos/videos (this is not necessarily on-line but on my computer). I write (again not on-line but on my computer). I do research on various topics and I shop. I usually have I don't know how many windows open at once. (At the moment it is 9 but it will probably increase as the day goes on.) I don't follow pop culture.

Am I productive? It depends on that definition. I like to think I am. I do have a lot to show for everything I have listed above. Especially the selling part when the bank account increases. Of course I am lazy when it comes to organizing my house but I am getting it a little at a time (especially as things get sold). I probably could get more done if I didn't play games but a person needs a bit of fun/distraction through all the noise. And besides, I am retired so life is supposed to be nothing but fun.  ;)

Cat

You sound pretty productive to me!  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...