inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hip-Hop in 2018

Written By: bchris02 on 02/13/18 at 11:01 pm

Does anybody think hip-hop is reaching a stagnation point?  Think about this.  The Internet is dominated by Soundcloud trap rappers that are indistinguishable from each other.  Legacy rappers like Eminem and Jay-Z seem to have lost their touch.  You do have the return of club anthems by the likes of Cardi B, but she is basically a ripoff of Nicki Minaj.  There's very little that is game changing about her.  Speaking of Nicki Minaj she is still holding her own but I think she probably won't remain popular into the next decade.  About the only bright spots in hip-hop right now are Kendrick Lamar and possibly Drake.  There really isn't much happening in hip-hop right now that grabs me like the genre did a few years ago.  Meanwhile, I think pop and EDM are both getting much better.

What are your thoughts on the current state of hip-hop?

Subject: Re: Hip-Hop in 2018

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/14/18 at 6:23 am

It seems pretty stagnant right now.
It is extremely shocking to me that out of all the eras of hip- hop, the trap era is what catapulted the genre into the #1 consumed form of music. Hip-Hop has been a dominate form of music for a while now but it's shocking to me how it has now surpassed pop. I would have thought that if any era of hip-hop would've been able to have such an impact, it would've either been the glam rap era of the early 2000s or the very heavily pop/dance influenced hip-hop of the early 2010s. But instead one of the rawest forms of hip-hop (not giving attention to some of the lyrics in popular trap songs but just focusing on the context from which trap was created) has allowed the genre to take over completely. 

You're right, the internet is dominated by soundcloud rappers. However, folks are still aware of what many consider to be more substantial rappers like ASAP Rocky, Chance the Rapper, Joey Bada$$, etc.

Before underground rappers became highly accessible, those who were not fans of hip-hop often complained about the genre. Now I think due to the rise of quality underground rappers people complain less about hip hop as a whole, even if they still complain about mainstream trap. Those who hated hip hop before may have even become hip hop fans themselves after finding artists they connect with underground. There's hip hop out there for many different types of people whether you're a thug, hipster, or nerd. I think that overall people have a more positive perspective on hip hop than when I was growing up but these are all just my opinion.

I am under the impression that trap is going to be on it's way out by the end of the decade. And so I guess we will have to wait and see what new trend takes over. Hip hop (and mainstream music in general) wouldn't seem so stagnant if there was more diversity in the charts.

Written By: kingofthetemple on 02/14/18 at 8:58 am

Its stagnant because its only trap rap that dominates because I bet if there was at least another alternative hip hop genre in the mainstream to compete with trap it would seem as stale.But trap really took over I'm not sure how hopefully trap fades before 2020.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 02/15/18 at 4:51 pm

It is extremely shocking to me that out of all the eras of hip- hop, the trap era is what catapulted the genre into the #1 consumed form of music. Hip-Hop has been a dominate form of music for a while now but it's shocking to me how it has now surpassed pop. I would have thought that if any era of hip-hop would've been able to have such an impact, it would've either been the glam rap era of the early 2000s or the very heavily pop/dance influenced hip-hop of the early 2010s. But instead one of the rawest forms of hip-hop (not giving attention to some of the lyrics in popular trap songs but just focusing on the context from which trap was created) has allowed the genre to take over completely. 

You're right, the internet is dominated by soundcloud rappers. However, folks are still aware of what many consider to be more substantial rappers like ASAP Rocky, Chance the Rapper, Joey Bada$$, etc.

Before underground rappers became highly accessible, those who were not fans of hip-hop often complained about the genre. Now I think due to the rise of quality underground rappers people complain less about hip hop as a whole, even if they still complain about mainstream trap. Those who hated hip hop before may have even become hip hop fans themselves after finding artists they connect with underground. There's hip hop out there for many different types of people whether you're a thug, hipster, or nerd. I think that overall people have a more positive perspective on hip hop than when I was growing up but these are all just my opinion.

I am under the impression that trap is going to be on it's way out by the end of the decade. And so I guess we will have to wait and see what new trend takes over. Hip hop (and mainstream music in general) wouldn't seem so stagnant if there was more diversity in the charts.

And for the hard-working and rugged but disenfranchised country boy from Indiana, there's always Colt Ford.

Hick-hop is what they call it, and it's surprisingly popular. Appeals to the gritty lives of the poor rural white American.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/15/18 at 5:47 pm

It is extremely shocking to me that out of all the eras of hip-hop, the trap era is what catapulted the genre into the #1 consumed form of music. Hip-Hop has been a dominant form of music for a while now but it's shocking to me how it has now surpassed pop. I would have thought that if any era of hip-hop would've been able to have such an impact, it would've either been the glam rap era of the early 2000s or the very heavily pop/dance influenced hip-hop of the early 2010s. But instead one of the rawest forms of hip-hop (not giving attention to some of the lyrics in popular trap-rap songs but just focusing on the context from which trap was created) has allowed the genre to take over completely. 

You're right, the internet is dominated by SoundCloud rappers. However, folks are still aware of what many consider to be more substantial rappers like ASAP Rocky, Chance the Rapper, Joey Bada$$, etc.

Before underground rappers became highly accessible, those who were not fans of hip-hop often complained about the genre. Now I think due to the rise of quality underground rappers people complain less about hip-hop as a whole, even if they still complain about the mainstream trap. Those who hated hip-hop before may have even become hip-hop fans themselves after finding artists they connect with the underground. There's hip-hop out there for many different types of people whether you're a thug, hipster, or nerd. I think that overall people have a more positive perspective on hip-hop than when I was growing up but these are all just my opinion.

Yeah. I agree it is disturbing. I can't understand why or even how do people enjoy these types of songs? They're not making me want to dance nor are they catchy. They're completely awful and they are not going to age well in the future.

I wish rappers like ASAP Rocky, Chance the Rapper, Joey Bada$$ etc were more mainstream than those trappers. Where I live, my urban station doesn't play them at all. They DO play Kendrick, Drake and Big Sean, but for some reason, there's more trap on there. It's frustrating.

I hope it dies out soon. Hip-hop needs more variety, not this uninteresting BS.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/15/18 at 5:48 pm

I think hip-hop has been really good in the 2010's actually. 2017 has produced a lot of catchy hip-hop that I really like.

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/15/18 at 6:03 pm

Hip hop died in 2006 and is just a mumbling zombie now.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/15/18 at 6:26 pm

Hip hop died in 2006 and is just a mumbling zombie now.

Hip-hop didn't die, it just evolved into something else.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/15/18 at 6:36 pm

Yeah. I agree it is disturbing. I can't understand why or even how do people enjoy these types of songs? They're not making me want to dance nor are they catchy. They're completely awful and they are not going to age well in the future.

I wish rappers like ASAP Rocky, Chance the Rapper, Joey Bada$$ etc were more mainstream than those trappers. Where I live, my urban station doesn't play them at all. They DO play Kendrick, Drake and Big Sean, but for some reason, there's more trap on there. It's frustrating.

I hope it dies out soon. Hip-hop needs more variety, not this uninteresting BS.

I personally don't care if people enjoy those types of songs or not. I just know that 97% of the time I don't enjoy them. Like you said, it doesn't make me want to dance and it is actually very slow. I just want to be able to hear another subgenre or just straight hip-hop, even if it's alongside trap music.

Written By: Shemp97 on 02/17/18 at 5:54 pm

Every since it overtook rock as the most popular genre, HipHop become increasingly stagnant and unlistenable, its almost unrecognizable. Gone are the talented people like Kanye Eminem, 50 Cent and Lupe Fiasco. Now it's Kodak Black, Cardi B and Future.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/17/18 at 7:00 pm

Whatever happened to Flo Rida?

You don't hear classic stuff like "Apple bottom jeans, boots with da furrrr" any more.

Check for new replies or respond here...