inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What, actually, are the kids listening to these days?

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/17/18 at 7:19 pm

I often see people on this forum discussing stuff like lo fi hip-hop, future funk, electro swing, vaporwave, etc. On the other hand, I also hear people complaining often about "people just listen to the same top 40s trap crap, etc. etc. etc." Could someone who's currently in high school or college do me a solid and give me some insights? I'm looking especially for some input from the later Millennials and older Gen Z-ers among you. Thanks!

Subject: Re: What, actually, are the kids listening to these days?

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/17/18 at 7:46 pm

I'm a sophomore in high school and my playlist has mostly hip-hop and Trap songs. These are my most favorite songs so far:
2bnMiScBRfQ
ygS_Cwng7IU
SXMhL_UoVWw

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 02/17/18 at 7:52 pm

Everyone listens to different things, out of the genres you mentioned, lo-fi hip hop and electro swing are the two of the four that have been talked about among my friends (who are mostly age 16-22).

I listen to electro swing, personally, but only discovered what vaporwave and future funk was because of inthe00s. I tried listening to some of it, I think it's okay.

Seriously though, most of my friends have pretty different music tastes from each other, hip hop would be one of the only genres that most of us have in common with each other. In the US, hip hop is probably the most listened genre among people my age and EDM for Europeans my age.

Written By: unicornic on 02/17/18 at 7:56 pm

16 y/o and I also love hip hop
NV-3s2wwC8c
GfCqMv--ncA
RHUxyXZBXY8
VwAnsAUYnw4
qb3f1r7v1ok

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/17/18 at 8:00 pm

In the US, hip hop is probably the most listened genre among people my age and EDM for Europeans my age.

It's interesting because unicornic is from the UK and actually really loves hip-hop like I do, and I'm from the US

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 02/17/18 at 8:09 pm

It's interesting because unicornic is from the UK and actually really loves hip-hop like I do, and I'm from the US

Yeah, hip hop is very popular there too, I'm just saying EDM seems to be the most popular genre there overall.

One of my closest friends is from the UK and he loves hip hop as well, but EDM seems to be what most of my friends from the UK listen to, it's just anecdotal experience though, so I could be wrong.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 02/17/18 at 9:25 pm

Interestingly enough, I have all of the songs everyone has posted already on my playlists besides Fear, Ghostface Killers, and Plug Walk, that probably means they are examples of what "the kids are listening to these days." :)

Since everyone is posting songs they listen to though, I'll post some new songs I've added to my 2018 playlist.

T8E6NAIq8No

6xiMIFgdJqw

xVhnfTwh1OA

9f5zD7ZSNpQ

9xrePpC-ppI

tSzztBRLrTk

bYXM3uz1bjM

PfiN3yFccKU

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/17/18 at 9:48 pm

Yeah I guess the reason I’m asking about this is because I distinctly remember from my high school years in 2004-2008 that certain stuff was popular and “mainstream” at the time like emo, crunk, Black Eyed Peas, The Killers, so on and so forth. But the reality on the ground was that most of my friends and a lot of people I knew were mostly listening to stuff like Linkin Park, Evanescence, more obscure bands like April Sixth, Kill Hannah, Breaking Benjamin, A7x, and stuff like that.

What I’m trying to seize at is whether there’s anything like that going on with younger Millennials and older Gen Z-ers right now, where you have Bruno Mars and Justin Timberlake shoved at you but maybe something else is actually what you’re all listening to. Or maybe folks of that age range do listen to Finesse with Cardi B and stuff like Zayn and Marshmello. I dunno, but I’m curious what the reality on the ground is.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 02/17/18 at 10:40 pm

Yeah I guess the reason I’m asking about this is because I distinctly remember from my high school years in 2004-2008 that certain stuff was popular and “mainstream” at the time like emo, crunk, Black Eyed Peas, The Killers, so on and so forth. But the reality on the ground was that most of my friends and a lot of people I knew were mostly listening to stuff like Linkin Park, Evanescence, more obscure bands like April Sixth, Kill Hannah, Breaking Benjamin, A7x, and stuff like that.

What I’m trying to seize at is whether there’s anything like that going on with younger Millennials and older Gen Z-ers right now, where you have Bruno Mars and Justin Timberlake shoved at you but maybe something else is actually what you’re all listening to. Or maybe folks of that age range do listen to Finesse with Cardi B and stuff like Zayn and Marshmello. I dunno, but I’m curious what the reality on the ground is.

I'm not saying young people listen to mainstream music the most, but it's probably more common to listen to mainstream music now then back then.

I'd say the reason for that is, during the 2000's, mainstream music was mostly whatever record labels, producers, radio, and so on decided it would be with a few exceptions. Today, it's much more common to become mainstream through the Internet with SoundCloud rappers being a good example, they were made popular through SoundCloud by normal people streaming their songs, we have more of a say in what mainstream is nowadays.

So even the more obscure artists that are popular among young people can chart due to streaming, which wasn't possible during the 00's since streaming only started being factored in on charts this decade, and because of that, record labels will see them on the charts and try to pick them up, which makes them even more mainstream.

And on Finesse, Zayn, and Marshmello, Finesse and Marshmello are on the Spotify top 50 charts right now.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/18/18 at 1:44 am

I'm a sophomore in high school and my playlist has mostly hip-hop and Trap songs. These are my most favorite songs so far:
2bnMiScBRfQ
ygS_Cwng7IU
SXMhL_UoVWw

Yep.

It's time to just throw rap out with the baby and the bathwater.

Written By: Looney Toon on 02/18/18 at 3:43 am

I often see people on this forum discussing stuff like lo fi hip-hop, future funk, electro swing, vaporwave, etc. On the other hand, I also hear people complaining often about "people just listen to the same top 40s trap crap, etc. etc. etc." Could someone who's currently in high school or college do me a solid and give me some insights? I'm looking especially for some input from the later Millennials and older Gen Z-ers among you. Thanks!

On the internet they listen to things like Vaporwave. On the Radio they listen to Trap Crap.  ;)

Although this question is somewhat confusing. By "kids" you're just referring to highschool/college students? Actual young kids most likely wouldn't be listening to popular online music genres like Vaporwave or Electro Swing.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/18/18 at 5:56 am

On the internet they listen to things like Vaporwave. On the Radio they listen to Trap Crap.  ;)

Although this question is somewhat confusing. By "kids" you're just referring to highschool/college students? Actual young kids most likely wouldn't be listening to popular online music genres like Vaporwave or Electro Swing.

Yeah, sorry if that made it unclear. I meant people who are currently in their teens and twenties.

Written By: Looney Toon on 02/18/18 at 11:05 am

Yeah, sorry if that made it unclear. I meant people who are currently in their teens and twenties.

Teens and twenties? I figured they listen to a mix of two sources. Online they'll listen to big internet genres (by this I mean genres that are mainly popular online and not just genres that were literally created online) like Electro Swing and Lofi Hip Hop. But when they turn on the radio they'd also turn on the Top 40.

Also this is a massive generalization as I'm sure not a lot of people like Electro Swing and Lofi Hip Hop. And there are people like me who think Trap music the slower overly emotional pop music is trash.

Written By: prodanny288 on 02/18/18 at 12:57 pm

I listen to electronic dance music, R&B, hip hop, and dubstep.

Written By: karen on 02/18/18 at 1:53 pm

My son listens to a real range of stuff. Pop punk, some country and folk. Yesterday he was listening to some speeded up songs that is apparently a thing now.

Written By: android on 02/18/18 at 2:09 pm

I'm 24. My friends and I listen to popular artists from different genres. Right now, some big artists we love are Camila Cabello, Khalid, Post Malone, The Chainsmokers, Imagine Dragons, Dua Lipa, Liam Payne, etc.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/18/18 at 4:12 pm

I listen to everything that I wish was in the mainstream being Non-trap hip-hop, variations of R&B, Latin music, variations of rock etc.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/18/18 at 4:24 pm

I cannot tell which type of music kids are listening to, because they listen with headphones and I, thankfully, cannot hear what they are listening to.

Written By: Wobo on 02/18/18 at 8:18 pm

I'm 13 in the eighth grade and i listen to Hip-Hop but I hate mumble rap but roll in peace is good.

VwAnsAUYnw4

W_O0sn-ockI

xpVfcZ0ZcFM

S0nbOenwCLw

cmc8q2dcIMs

JpIlnaAmiCg

IJvjj6Fiwvw

FUXX55WqYZs

l_lblj8Cq0o

i5fxxMRzi1Q

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/18/18 at 8:40 pm

I'm not in the HS/undergraduate age range anymore, can I still contribute?

I'm 24 and I listen to various genres of music such as r&b, hip-hop/rap, pop, latin, variations of rock, some electronic music, etc. I listen to music from the 70s on up to the present. As far as I know, my friends listen to mostly r&b, hip-hop, and pop from the 90s to the present; and to a lesser extent, the 80s. They also listen to some rock, especially from the early 2000s (i.e. Linkin Park, Blink). Some of ny male friends seem to like trap whereas my female friends not so much. Of course we all like Kendrick Lamar though. 

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/18/18 at 11:37 pm

I cannot tell which type of music kids are listening to, because they listen with headphones and I, thankfully, cannot hear what they are listening to.

Lol I love this comment.

Written By: Howard on 02/19/18 at 5:37 am

same goes with me when I'm on the bus.

Check for new replies or respond here...