inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why is 2015 so universally beloved?

Written By: #Infinity on 02/20/18 at 10:04 am

For the longest time, I have felt as though I am completely alone in the notion that 2015 was a rotten turd of a year, with virtually nothing truly positive about it except Back to the Future Day and occasionally a good movie. I am baffled by how much the general consensus seems to believe that 2015 was a wonderful year and one of the best in recent times. 2014 and 2016 both get bashed relentlessly all the time, so why is 2015 immune to such flack?

Literally almost everywhere I look, from most people’s opinion of the year here, to Todd in the Shadows calling it a “goddamn relief” from 2013 and 2014 being horrible years for music, to GameTrailers dubbing it the fifth-best year in gaming because there was somehow “something for everyone,” to just everybody everywhere thinking it was this super progressive, advanced, wholesome, thank-god-it’s-not-the-past era in spite of the unrelenting misery that lay just ahead.

My own memories of 2015 are filled with almost nothing but utter misery. I don’t ever feel like my life felt as lonely and pointless as it was that year. More than ever, everybody surrounding me seemed to be totally blissful or at least committed to something, whereas I was wasting my time using online dating and facing an onslaught of rejections I took really personally. It was such a terrible mindset that I felt almost completely apathetic on the day that the Supreme Court ruled in favour of gay marriage nationwide. The music of 2015 felt unbelievably samey or dominated by trap influences including the idiotic Vine rap craze. Everybody said the year was packed with excellent songs when I remember far more memorable hits from 2013 and 2014. Television was a million times more relevant than music, which pissed me off as far more a YouTube and music person, not to mention dour schlock like Orange Is the New Black was at the height of its popularity. Gaming still sucked, with really not a single new release I had much interest in. Everybody was either celebrating diversity without actually practicing it, or giving birth to the dreaded alt-right. The world was both absurdly PC, yet hatefully ignorant at the same time. As the rest of the world seemed to love living a life of social media staleness, I was completely retreating to the past (I joined this site that year) while suffering anytime I had to interact with the real world.

Since Back to the Future Part II is my favourite movie of all time, I was hoping for years that 2015 would be an awesome time in my life. Not only did that not happen, it ended being the very worst year of my life to this point. The fact that everyone else had such a blast in 2015 just completely adds insult to injury. It’s a time I’m so glad to have move past and which I never want to return to again. Can I please ask, why is it so uncommon for people to hate 2015 the way so many despise the years surrounding it from both sides?

Subject: Re: Why is 2015 so universally beloved?

Written By: 2001 on 02/20/18 at 10:25 am

Although I enjoyed the year for the most part, I agree with a lot of what you're saying. It's far from the best year of the 2010s imo.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/20/18 at 11:20 am

It's about as good as it got in the mid 10's, along with the first half of 2016. The mid 10's as whole was a terrible period.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/20/18 at 11:25 am

I agree. Culturally, I actually preferred 2014 & 2016 much more than 2015. 2015 just seemed like that bland forgettable year in the mid 2010s, while 2014 & 2016 were much more memorable and iconic. Historically too, 2014 was the year of the Ukrainian invasion, the BLM movement picking up steam with the death of Michael Brown, ISIS gaining prominence, and the Ebola Outbreak. 2016 obviously had the Pulse Nightclub Shooting, The Brexit Vote, and the 2016 Election. 2015 on the other hand was just the glue between the two worlds of 2014 & 2016 respectively, making it less historically iconic. Perhaps that is not necessarily a bad thing though, cause 14' & 16' were much more turbulent, but it beckons on why it just seems bland in the grand scheme of things.

Also like the OP, 2015 wasn't the greatest year in my personal life, I had much more fun in 2014 & 2016 respectively.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/20/18 at 11:29 am

It's about as good as it got in the mid 10's, along with the first half of 2016. The mid 10's as whole was a terrible period.

I agree with this.  2015 was a dark and miserable year in my own life, but it was an improvement over 2013 and 2014 and was also better than 2016.  2015 also had the best music of the mid '10s in my opinion.  It was a good year for hip-hop.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/20/18 at 11:36 am

I agree with this.  2015 was a dark and miserable year in my own life, but it was an improvement over 2013 and 2014 and was also better than 2016.  2015 also had the best music of the mid '10s in my opinion.  It was a good year for hip-hop.

I honestly thought 2013-2014 were leaps and bounds much better for music than 2015. Perhaps because 13'-14' were more 'mid 10's lite'  musically, and 2015 was much more obnoxiously mid 2010s, hence my slight disdain to the year (although not as bad as 2016 ;D). 2015 was a solid year for film though, I'll give it that. Any year with Jurassic World, The Martian, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Mad Max, and Star Wars The Force Awakens is legendary in my book.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/20/18 at 11:47 am

Everybody was either celebrating diversity without actually practicing it, or giving birth to the dreaded alt-right. The world was both absurdly PC, yet hatefully ignorant at the same time. As the rest of the world seemed to love living a life of social media staleness, I was completely retreating to the past (I joined this site that year) while suffering anytime I had to interact with the real world.

I would say the one-two suckerpunch of gay marriage being legalized and Caitlyn Jenner going public with her transition gave birth the the anti-LGBT backlash we are currently in the midst of (at least in the US South).  Both of those events happened in June 2015 and social conservatives were losing their minds.  People still lament Obama's "rainbow White House" following the SCOTUS decision.  That is one of the reasons I've heard many people say they support Trump.

I really wish I would have been able to experience that era in a more open-minded, liberal area.  I probably would have a very different opinion of it and would have really enjoyed it.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/20/18 at 12:05 pm

I would say the one-two suckerpunch of gay marriage being legalized and Caitlyn Jenner going public with her transition gave birth the the anti-LGBT backlash we are currently in the midst of (at least in the US South).  Both of those events happened in June 2015 and social conservatives were losing their minds.  People still lament Obama's "rainbow White House" following the SCOTUS decision.  That is one of the reasons I've heard many people say they support Trump.

I really wish I would have been able to experience that era in a more open-minded, liberal area.  I probably would have a very different opinion of it and would have really enjoyed it.

You're from Oklahoma right? I remember the day right after gay marriage was legalized, some people (I think it was some pastors) tried to find a way to nullify those marriages. I can't remember exactly what happened but I definitely felt the backlash here in Oklahoma. I remember being happy about the ruling the day it was announced and then QUICKLY losing enthusiasm the very next day.  It's like we weren't even given a chance to celebrate. But I already knew that even after it became legal people's willingness to accept it wouldn't just magically change.

Written By: 2001 on 02/20/18 at 12:34 pm

2014 felt like the last calm year before sh*t hit the fans in 2015. The world before Charlie Hebdo, Syrian refugee crisis, oil price crash, Trump and the Yeehaw Rebellion, Brexit etc. I want to go back to it for just one day and catch my breath again.  :D

I remember my New Years Resolution in 2015 was to read 50 books. By the summer I got up to 25 which was really good, but I felt so stressed out, scared and angry at the world. At the time, I thought it was because I was reading really sadistic books like this book about Residential Schools and another book about Nazis and another book about the '90s famine in North Korea. I stopped reading non-fiction for a bit (big mistake, I didn't read many books after that ;D) and unsurprisingly it didn't help at all. I look back on it and I wasn't alone in feeling the way I felt, it really was a stressful time. Syrian refugee crisis, that gross election we had here in Canada, Trump, all those terrorist attacks etc. It was a really rotten time when it came to world affairs 8-P

Written By: Dundee on 02/20/18 at 4:39 pm

2015 was a very important year in my life as I turned 18, got my first job, driving license, went to college and made some very important new friends. Probably one of my personal favorite years of my life so far. I also really got into music back then, just in time for my favorite album of the decade to come out: To Pimp a Butterfly (so many good memories with it :'))

It's unfortunately hurt by some unfortunate attacks, but it still pales in comparison to all the world changing events that happened in 2016 (damn that year was a bitch).

I love that year.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/20/18 at 4:56 pm

I honestly don't know. I thought a lot of people here didn't enjoy the year. 2015 wasn't that great for me either. There were personal issues in my family. There was no variety in any entertainment and the music was mainly terrible. There was police brutality. There were constant attacks from bombings and shootings and the embarrassing buffoon had the audacity to announce he was running for president.

On the plus side though, I did make more new friends (including those on this site). I went to Vegas for New years 2016. I got a job. I got to see Jerry Springer in person (Although I didn't get to meet him up and close). LGBT marriage was finally being legalized. There a few good films such as Straight Outta Compton, Star Wars 7, Furious 7, and Minions and there were some good hip-hop songs.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/20/18 at 5:12 pm

2015 was a very important year in my life as I turned 18, got my first job, driving license, went to college and made some very important new friends. Probably one of my personal favorite years of my life so far. I also really got into music back then, just in time for my favorite album of the decade to come out: To Pimp a Butterfly (so many good memories with it :'))

It's unfortunately hurt by some unfortunate attacks, but it still pales in comparison to all the world changing events that happened in 2016 (damn that year was a bitch).

I love that year.

2015 was definitely one of my most favorite years personally. It's my 2nd favorite year in terms of my personal life. The hip-hop and pop was also really good too IMO.

Written By: Dundee on 02/20/18 at 5:24 pm

2015 was definitely one of my most favorite years personally. It's my 2nd favorite year in terms of my personal life. The hip-hop and pop was also really good too IMO.
Sure is! Death Gripes, Carly Rae Jepsen, Björk, Tame Impala, Lil Ugly Mane, TheWeeknd and Future all pulled fantastic albums that year.

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 02/20/18 at 6:03 pm

2015 was way better than 2014, for me at least. I was 13 and finally felt like a teenager and not like a little kid. I entered 8th grade, the easiest and one of the best school years for me. I started getting involved with online communities and made friends with people I still talk to today. It was a great year!

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/20/18 at 6:07 pm

2015 was way better than 2014, for me at least. I was 13 and finally felt like a teenager and not like a little kid. I entered 8th grade, the easiest and one of the best school years for me. I started getting involved with online communities and made friends with people I still talk to today. It was a great year!

In terms of my personal life, give me 2015 any day over 2014. So far though, no year has beaten 2013 yet. 2017 was extremely close though. 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2017 have all been one of the best years of my life so far.

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 02/20/18 at 6:36 pm

In terms of my personal life, give me 2015 any day over 2014. So far though, no year has beaten 2013 yet. 2017 was extremely close though. 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2017 have all been one of the best years of my life so far.

I don't even remember what I did in 2017, besides joining PerC and InThe00s  :P

I was 11 in 2013, I was only a preteen who wanted to be a teen so bad, I had colorful experiences, some good, some bad, but it's not a year I'd necessarily go back to.

I was 10 in 2012, I was already at the point where I wanted to be a teen and not a kid, I had some colorful experiences, some good, some bad, but it's not a year I want to go back to.  8-P

I was 12 in 2014, also a very awkward year, I had extreme hormonal issues and I wouldn't go back. Though I did see the Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods with my older brother, older sister, and his friend. Had some good experiences, some bad.

Very colorful times and I do have nostalgia for them, but I'm glad I'm well past them at this point.  ;D

Written By: musicguy93 on 02/20/18 at 7:39 pm

2015 is beloved? I never knew that. It always seemed like people (at least on this site) preferred 2010, 2013, and possibly even early 2014. If I were make a guess, they probably prefer it over 2016, but I honestly haven't heard anyone saying they miss 2015.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/20/18 at 7:41 pm

2015 is beloved? I never knew that, but I honestly haven't heard anyone saying they miss 2015.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/024/790/squidward.jpg

Written By: musicguy93 on 02/20/18 at 7:45 pm

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/024/790/squidward.jpg

??? I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Written By: 2001 on 02/20/18 at 7:57 pm

2015 is beloved? I never knew that. It always seemed like people (at least on this site) preferred 2010, 2013, and possibly even early 2014. If I were make a guess, they probably prefer it over 2016, but I honestly haven't heard anyone saying they miss 2015.

I actually remember an "I miss 2015" thread posted here in early 2017 and it was the weirdest thing ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/20/18 at 8:23 pm

I actually remember an "I miss 2015" thread posted here in early 2017 and it was the weirdest thing ;D
You mean this thread?

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=55224.0

Oh, and I just reread the entire topic and it was funny.  ;D It seems that the OP denied that the thread was about nostalgia even though it totally was about being nostalgic for that year and it was more negative than ever.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/20/18 at 10:53 pm

I don't even remember what I did in 2017, besides joining PerC and InThe00s  :P

I was 11 in 2013, I was only a preteen who wanted to be a teen so bad, I had colorful experiences, some good, some bad, but it's not a year I'd necessarily go back to.

I was 10 in 2012, I was already at the point where I wanted to be a teen and not a kid, I had some colorful experiences, some good, some bad, but it's not a year I want to go back to.  8-P

I was 12 in 2014, also a very awkward year, I had extreme hormonal issues and I wouldn't go back. Though I did see the Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods with my older brother, older sister, and his friend. Had some good experiences, some bad.

Very colorful times and I do have nostalgia for them, but I'm glad I'm well past them at this point.  ;D

I hit puberty in very late 2013 (Like November-December) 2013 was also the last year where I really felt like I was in my childhood.

As much as I do miss 2015, I'm kind of glad I'm not the same person I was back then. I've matured a lot, and let's be honest I still have some maturing to do. ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 02/20/18 at 11:57 pm

Best year of the mid 2010s for me, and second best year of the decade in general (after 2013). I think because the culture was really solid that year and so many things were popular like vines, back to the future day, Zoey 101 reunion, funny memes that will last for a long time (such as the "Do It" meme and the "Why you always' lyin' vidoe), good music, good movies like the Force Awakens, and more. And my personal life was good that year too.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/20/18 at 11:59 pm

You mean this thread?

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=55224.0

Oh, and I just reread the entire topic and it was funny.  ;D It seems that the OP denied that the thread was about nostalgia even though it totally was about being nostalgic for that year and it was more negative than ever.

Umm did you read the the original post of that thread? It said I will be nostalgic in the future. Nice try buddy. Also there is NOTHING wrong with liking the year 2015, deal with it.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/21/18 at 12:00 am

That thread was not "I miss 2015" and it wasn't weird at all. In fact, I will soon make a new thread about 2016. It's just a thread discussing pop culture trends of the year so people can go back to it in the future and be nostalgic over it or we can talk about trends we enjoyed of particular recent years today. That's the whole purpose of this site lol. I don't know why people got so triggered over it.

Written By: Wobo on 02/21/18 at 12:06 am

I hit puberty in very late 2013 (Like November-December) 2013 was also the last year where I really felt like I was in my childhood.

As much as I do miss 2015, I'm kind of glad I'm not the same person I was back then. I've matured a lot, and let's be honest I still have some maturing to do. ;D

Same.

Written By: Wobo on 02/21/18 at 12:12 am

2015 was a good year for me i guess i went on a road trip with my family.

Written By: Wobo on 02/21/18 at 12:15 am

For me i'd choose 2014 over 2015 any day and 2016 was better than 2015 for me nothing will beat 2012 and 2013 as i had nostalgia for those two years.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/21/18 at 12:21 am

Many people like 2015... I don't "miss" it, but I like it.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/21/18 at 12:26 am

Many people like 2015... I don't "miss" it, but I like it.

For me, 2015 will never be a year I "miss."  Not even the rose colored glasses of nostalgia will make me miss 2015, except for possibly someday when I will miss it because it was part of my broader young adult years.  However, compared to 2014 and 2016, it was a better year for me.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/21/18 at 1:08 am

I had fun in 2015.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/18 at 2:20 am

I had fun in 2015.
So did I, having several holidays abroad.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/21/18 at 4:18 am

So did I, having several holidays abroad.

Awesome. Where did you go?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/18 at 4:48 am

Awesome. Where did you go?
I started the year in the Philippines, attending family weddings. A week in Bali, and later it was Japan to visit relatives, and various stays away from home in the UK. Yes, very enjoyable.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/21/18 at 4:55 am

I started the year in the Philippines, attending family weddings. A week in Bali, and later it was Japan to visit relatives, and various stays away from home in the UK. Yes, very enjoyable.

That sounds amazing and tiring at the same time!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/18 at 5:06 am

That sounds amazing and tiring at the same time!
Thank you, and I do not know when I will be travelling next, but definitely to Europe before Brexit happens.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/21/18 at 8:29 am

??? I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Music Guy

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2017-05/28/13/asset/buzzfeed-prod-fastlane-03/sub-buzz-18232-1495991344-8.jpg?downsize=715:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/464ITP0q9PY/maxresdefault.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 02/21/18 at 9:20 am

That thread was not "I miss 2015" and it wasn't weird at all. In fact, I will soon make a new thread about 2016. It's just a thread discussing pop culture trends of the year so people can go back to it in the future and be nostalgic over it or we can talk about trends we enjoyed of particular recent years today. That's the whole purpose of this site lol. I don't know why people got so triggered over it.

Sorry about that, I misremembered.

Written By: John Titor on 02/21/18 at 10:04 am

I did not like 2015

Boring year

Written By: unicornic on 02/21/18 at 10:23 am

2015 was ok. 2016 was a lot better.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/21/18 at 10:53 am

Thank you, and I do not know when I will be travelling next, but definitely to Europe before Brexit happens.

Italy seems like an interesting place with a rich history.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/18 at 11:02 am

Italy seems like an interesting place with a rich history.
Italy was the subject of our family discussion, second on the list is the Netherlands.

Written By: ofkx on 02/21/18 at 12:18 pm

Is it ???? I never really got an impression that it was "universally beloved". It's probably the least talked about year in the 2010s tbh.

Written By: Howard on 02/21/18 at 2:54 pm

I did not like 2015

Boring year

Why was it boring?

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 02/21/18 at 3:26 pm

2015 was great, but I was an immature and awkward 13 year old at the time. I'd be nice to go back to 2015 with the maturity I have now.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/21/18 at 3:27 pm

2015 was great, but I was an immature and awkward 13 year old at the time. I'd be nice to go back to 2015 with the maturity I have now.

I was 20 at that time.

Written By: 2001 on 02/21/18 at 3:48 pm

I was 20 at that time.

I was 22 like that Taylor Swift song :D

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/21/18 at 4:00 pm

Same here. At 13, you're just barely a teenager and you still have the mentality of an 11-12-year-old. Being 12 and being 13 felt the same to me, but turning 14 and starting high school definitely felt like a transition. I feel like this year will be transitional for me as well in terms of my personal life, since I'll be 16 in June and would have entered the absolute peak of my teen years (mathematically speaking)

Written By: Slim95 on 02/21/18 at 4:42 pm

Same here. At 13, you're just barely a teenager and you still have the mentality of an 11-12-year-old. Being 12 and being 13 felt the same to me, but turning 14 and starting high school definitely felt like a transition. I feel like this year will be transitional for me as well in terms of my personal life, since I'll be 16 in June and would have entered the absolute peak of my teen years (mathematically speaking)

To me, being 13 actually felt quite different from being 12. Maybe that's part of the reason I see 2008 and 2007 as very different from each other. When I was 13, I was well into junior high school and all sorts of changes were happening both physically and mentally. But when I was 12 I was still in elementary school for the most part and wasn't a teen yet so I still felt like a little kid. But it's different for everyone.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/21/18 at 4:47 pm

To me, being 13 actually felt quite different from being 12. Maybe that's part of the reason I see 2008 and 2007 as very different from each other. When I was 13, I was well into junior high school and all sorts of changes were happening both physically and mentally. But when I was 12 I was still in elementary school for the most part and wasn't a teen yet so I still felt like a little kid. But it's different for everyone.

This is how it was for me, except for me it was 1997 and 1998.  12 was the transition year. It still felt like childhood but I also felt like I was getting older.  13 felt very different from 11. 

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/21/18 at 4:53 pm

This is how it was for me, except for me it was 1997 and 1998.  12 was the transition year. It still felt like childhood but I also felt like I was getting older.  13 felt very different from 11.

Yeah, 13 for me felt a lot different from 11. When I was 11 I was still in elementary, still childlike, when I was 13 I was halfway through my middle school career and was already starting puberty.

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 02/21/18 at 5:09 pm

For me, age 13 was worlds different from ages 11 and 12. I was more mature at 13 than I was at 11/12, but I was still in the process of maturing.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/21/18 at 5:47 pm

A HUGE reason is Mister Worldwide's smash hit of that year, "Time of Our Lives".

bTXJQ5ql5Fw

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/21/18 at 7:00 pm

For myself, 11-13 were the same for me. I already felt like an adolescent since I began puberty earlier. I aged out of the kids demographic. I was interested in the opposite gender and I was already doing mature things by that point.

Written By: Wobo on 02/21/18 at 9:22 pm

I was 11 in 2015.

Written By: Dundee on 02/21/18 at 9:35 pm

I was 11 in 2015.
Glad to know people born under Dragostea din tei's reign are now part of the target audience as teenagers :)

Written By: Wobo on 02/21/18 at 10:03 pm

Yeah, back in 2015, I looked at late '03ers and '04ers as little kids. Boy have things changed since then  ;D

LOL do you mean by people born in late 2003 or 04 because i was born in  May.

Written By: Wobo on 02/21/18 at 10:05 pm

Glad to know people born under Dragostea din tei's reign are now part of the target audience as teenagers :)

Lol i was confused of what you said i was going to type "siehdncocisyebfjcu what reign?" but there's something called Google and i searched it up that's a weird name for a movie btw.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/22/18 at 1:58 am

Here are some great mainstream songs from 2015. I honestly think mainstream songs from today don't hold a candle next to the songs from 2015. I want music to sound like this again:

6JCLY0Rlx6Q
jGflUbPQfW8
OPf0YbXqDm0
rClUOdS5Zyw
6GUm5g8SG4o
TeccAtqd5K8
AJtDXIazrMo

Music was a lot more optimistic and better quality in 2015, even though it was only 3 years ago. I think music changed quite a bit. I really liked the music from 2015. Anyone else agree?

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/22/18 at 2:07 am

Here are some great mainstream songs from 2015. I honestly think mainstream songs from today don't hold a candle next to the songs from 2015. I want music to sound like this again:

Music was a lot more optimistic and better quality in 2015, even though it was only 3 years ago. I think music changed quite a bit. I really liked the music from 2015. Anyone else agree?

2015 music was good, although it was the first signs of the music we have today.

Written By: Dundee on 02/22/18 at 6:04 am

2015 was refreshing after the steam of idiotic stuff we saw in 2014 (Fancy, All About That Bass, Anaconda, Rude, and so on).

It was the year that popularized a new genre called Tropical House, and a lot of the songs had therefore a cool breezy feel to them:
il9nqWw9W3Y
YqeW9_5kURI
aPxVSCfoYnU

Also the first huge trap hits and there were actually damn cool:
i_kF4zLNKio

Written By: 2001 on 02/22/18 at 8:47 am

I have a "Mid-2010s Upbeat" playlist and these all those songs are in it (except Cheerleader lol that song was annoying).

And yes I loved that style of music :)

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/22/18 at 11:49 am

I thought of this thread when I saw the meme on Facebook with the caption that read "Remember in the good old days when what stressed everyone out was the color of this dress?" and pictured was the said dress that was either gold or blue depending on how you look at it.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/22/18 at 1:22 pm

I thought of this thread when I saw the meme on Facebook with the caption that read "Remember in the good old days when what stressed everyone out was the color of this dress?" and pictured was the said dress that was either gold or blue depending on how you look at it.

Yeah I'm betting people will get nostalgic for the mid 2010s in a couple of years. Especially if Trump wins again. I have a feeling people will miss the era pretty soon.

Written By: 2001 on 02/22/18 at 1:43 pm

I remember arguing about that at the cafeteria on campus with my friends and we were being very loud. It got a bit heated.

Written By: Wobo on 02/24/18 at 8:29 pm

lphV_A_nnP0

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 02/24/18 at 8:58 pm

lphV_A_nnP0

Haha good times, this was very emotional for me to watch.

Written By: Wobo on 02/24/18 at 9:57 pm

Haha good times, this was very emotional for me to watch.

Can't argee with you more!

Written By: Slim95 on 02/25/18 at 12:00 am

I love 2015! :D

Written By: Wobo on 02/25/18 at 12:15 am

I love 2015! :D

I hated 2015 but once I started to get nostalgia i started love it.

Written By: That 2004 vibe on 04/26/18 at 11:17 am

I think more people are looking back @ 2015 with rose colored glasses because Trump won the year after

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/14/18 at 10:21 am

There is a trend on Twitter right now called #WhatLifeWasLikeIn2015 and there are some people already nostalgic for it a bit.

Written By: Wobo on 07/14/18 at 10:52 am

There is a trend on Twitter right now called #WhatLifeWasLikeIn2015 and there are some people already nostalgic for it a bit.

I have to join in.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/14/18 at 12:48 pm

I think more people are looking back @ 2015 with rose colored glasses because Trump won the year after

I would say 2015 was the peak year for Obama-era liberalism.  It was by far the most liberal year of my lifetime.  It was a great year to be a progressive, especially if you lived in a liberal part of the country (I do not unfortunately).  But it was also the year responsible for the current backlash we are experiencing.  Even as a progressive, I wonder if we were ready for a year like 2015.  In hindsight, the answer is clearly a resounding NO.  2015 is responsible for the rage, anger, and hatred that dominates American society and politics today.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ca/67/9a/ca679a3c2c22b969c3f779e91b2a8f57.jpg

https://media2.s-nbcnews.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Video/__NEW/f_dc_obama_rainbow_150630.760;428;7;70;5.jpg

mwNiQ5fiF4o

b715GKJNWXA

JaqLG3myKUk

Ky36Splg9Gk

fR3n1d1GlsA

wlZVyJZGowc

pSMb50u78Aw

b-eYbUVZedY

Written By: Wobo on 07/14/18 at 5:12 pm

This song really makes me miss being 10 and 11 and also makes me miss 2014-2015 (almost makes me miss 2015)
Mq1QBDBf52k

Written By: christopher on 07/21/18 at 12:58 pm

It had bad music, and we had terrorist attacks in Europe. In 2010-2013 we had none.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/21/18 at 1:13 pm

2015 was a rough year for me too because it was my first full year of college, and I mean 2015 was rough I didn't really like it as it was going on and I had missed 2014, but looking back the music actually wasn't that bad. The way I feel about music in 2015 is how I felt about 2013. The first half of 2013 and 2015 I didn't appreciate the music but the 2nd half of 2013 and 2015 I appreciated the music more. 2016 is my least favorite year of this decade pop culturally so far. The music was awful, and I mean that year just had so much turmoil politically and pop culturally, and the movies that year were my least favorite as well with few exceptions. I prefer 2017 any day and I like 2018 too even though I notice some people on this forum don't like it.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/21/18 at 1:14 pm

and the political transition that occurred throughout 2015.... oh boi... that's all I have to say.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/21/18 at 6:47 pm

I prefer 2017 any day and I like 2018 too even though I notice some people on this forum don't like it.

Man I miss 2017 now. My personal life was so great and Drowning was really the only song by then I needed.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/21/18 at 7:39 pm

Universally loved?  I thought it sucked.  8-P

Written By: ofkx on 07/22/18 at 4:43 pm

It had great music, amazing movies, Vine was at its peak, and it was the last year before the simulation we all live in started glitching. Why would it not be loved?

Written By: mqg96 on 07/22/18 at 4:49 pm

It had great music, amazing movies, Vine was at its peak, and it was the last year before the simulation we all live in started glitching. Why would it not be loved?

What do you mean by this what I have in bold?

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/22/18 at 4:58 pm

I would say it started glitching far before 2016.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/22/18 at 6:13 pm

I'm curious what he means by that too.

Written By: ofkx on 07/22/18 at 6:52 pm

I'm curious what he means by that too.

The world ended on December 21 2012 and we've been living in simulation ever since. It started glitching in 2016.
(issa joke)

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/22/18 at 8:40 pm

The world ended on December 21 2012 and we've been living in simulation ever since. It started glitching in 2016.
(issa joke)

No. The world ended way before that. Everything started to suck on September 1st, 2006 12:00:00 AM. I will never forget the huge cultural shift. Shows went bad, movies went bad, kids stopped playing outside, etc. The world changed much more on September 1st, 2006 than it did on September 11, 2001. Our world has never been the same since then.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/22/18 at 9:06 pm

No. The world ended way before that. Everything started to suck on September 1st, 2006 12:00:00 AM. I will never forget the huge cultural shift. Shows went bad, movies went bad, kids stopped playing outside, etc. The world changed much more on September 1st, 2006 than it did on September 11, 2001. Our world has never been the same since then.

Yeah, is that the official date of the 2006 shift?

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/22/18 at 9:09 pm

Yeah, is that the official date of the 2006 shift?

Yes, it is. It's the biggest shift in history. Our world has never been the same since then.

Written By: christopher on 07/23/18 at 6:06 am

For me years ending in 5, 6 and 7 are the blandest from the 90s, 00s and 2010s alike. I'd put the mid/later parts of those ending in 4 as the start of the bland period. 1995 was undefined compared to say 1993 and 1998. Like a bridge between the grunge / early 90s pop/dance to the teen pop era.

Ditto for 2005-2007 and first half of 2008 - stop gap years before Lady Gaga and Katy Perry ushered in the culture of the early 2010s.

So second half of 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 appear either cheesy and bland compared to the early 2010s. Compare 1995, 2005 and 2015 to 1985, which had great songs to see that a mid year can be truly great. While I prefer 1980-1985, even 1986 and 1987 had some great songs. 1988 and 1989 as well.

Written By: Lyndialy on 07/23/18 at 9:29 am

I enjoyed 2015. I liked 2014 better because I was 9 years old. I had a good time that year.

Written By: snps94 on 07/25/18 at 6:31 pm

I feel like 2015 was the last year to feel semi-hopeful. Gay marriage was legalized, the Paris climate agreement was created, and the early days of BLM made it seem like real progress would be made, but then it lost focus and became a mockery.

Obama as president had many faults, but he was still statesmanlike, and hadn’t yet checked out as the 2016 election campaign hadn’t started in earnest.

Also oil and gas prices cratered that year, which was a huge relief for drivers.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/25/18 at 6:35 pm

Also oil and gas prices cratered that year, which was a huge relief for drivers.

Not sure where you live, but here this summer we have seen the highest gas prices we have seen since 2014 (maybe even before that). Oil and gas prices have soared this year, but unfortunately a lot of people aren't noticing an improvement in the economy in general and more jobs around. Maybe it will improve soon.

Written By: snps94 on 07/28/18 at 3:43 pm

Not sure where you live, but here this summer we have seen the highest gas prices we have seen since 2014 (maybe even before that).

I live in the US. Oil and gas prices collapsed (over 70% for oil, 60% for gas) between 2014 and 2016, and have since partially recovered.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/28/18 at 4:18 pm

I live in the US. Oil and gas prices collapsed (over 70% for oil, 60% for gas) between 2014 and 2016, and have since partially recovered.

Yeah that's how it was like here too. My apologies I read your post wrong.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 07/27/22 at 10:22 am

Not really a fan of 2015 or the 10s in general but it was the last innocent year before political divisions permeated through everything and culture got edgier.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/04/22 at 11:31 pm

Not really a fan of 2015 or the 10s in general but it was the last innocent year before political divisions permeated through everything and culture got edgier.

Political division happened before 2015.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 11/02/22 at 12:51 am

Political division happened before 2015.

August 2015 is the specific month it all went downhill, as soon as the first Republican debate started. That's the big separation between the innocent and cheery first half of the 2010's, and the darker more serious second half of the 2010's

Check for new replies or respond here...