inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2018: The first year Generation Z start having an impact?

Written By: ofkx on 02/21/18 at 9:45 am

http://wreg.com/2018/02/19/teens-lie-down-in-front-of-white-house-to-push-for-gun-control/
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-florida-shooting/survivors-of-florida-school-shooting-launch-gun-control-push-idUSKCN1G41KN
https://wtop.com/dc/2018/02/teens-calling-tighter-gun-control-demonstrate-front-white-house/slide/1/
http://www.scarymommy.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/feature8.jpg?w=700
I feel like this is the first time Gen Z is doing anything like this. Millennials are being replaced with Gen Z, and we're starting to have a larger impact on everything from pop culture to politics. Thoughts?

I feel like I should clarify that THIS IS NOT A DISCUSSION ABOUT GUN CONTROL. IDC WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT GUNS.

Subject: Re: 2018: The first year Generation Z start having an impact?

Written By: HeyJealousy on 02/21/18 at 11:54 am

I was actually under the impression that Gen-Zers would call for a resurgence of conservative values, not progressive values.
This whole "gun-control" push is actually favored by older generations.

Written By: Dundee on 02/21/18 at 12:03 pm

Yasss, Gen Z, be the new hippies ✌

Written By: duenas8 on 02/21/18 at 12:29 pm

Yasss, Gen Z, be the new hippies ✌

Quite the opposite, they’re the new “neocon”. Millennials shaped Gen Z’s ideals, so they won’t want to change. Generation Alpha will be the new hippies though

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/21/18 at 1:55 pm

Quite the opposite, they’re the new “neocon”. Millennials shaped Gen Z’s ideals, so they won’t want to change. Generation Alpha will be the new hippies though

No he’s right. Generation Z really is the new and hip generation. The reason why you said that is because you’re a millennial trying so hard to be like the young, hip and sexy generation (AKA Generation Z) Meanwhile you millennials are getting gray hair and wrinkles. Sorry, but you’re just going to have to accept that.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/21/18 at 2:17 pm

No he’s right. Generation Z really is the new and hip generation. The reason why you said that is because you’re a millennial trying so hard to be like the young, hip and sexy generation (AKA Generation Z) Meanwhile you millennials are getting gray hair and wrinkles. Sorry, but you’re just going to have to accept that.

;D ;D

Written By: duenas8 on 02/21/18 at 2:29 pm

WTF! That’s not even an argument xD

Written By: 2001 on 02/21/18 at 2:34 pm

The student protests are really inspiring. I hope Gen Z is more activist and recognize that their voice matters. They actually got Republicans to do something about gun control which is miraculous.

American Millennials pollute and scream on social media and kept Bernie or #StopTPP as their cover photos on Facebook for the virtue-signalling, but couldn't to be bothered to vote to stop Trump  8-P

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/21/18 at 2:38 pm

WTF! That’s not even an argument xD

You’re right. It’s the truth.

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/21/18 at 3:22 pm

More normies are becoming aware of Gen Z I think, after lumping them with Millennials forever. After the Tide Pod challenge happened, there were memes on Facebook about Millennials eating tide pods and the comments section was filled with thousands of people saying "No Gen Z is eating tide pods", lol.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/21/18 at 3:26 pm

Generation Z started having an impact since the mid 2010's began y'all. Late millennials and early Gen Z feel the same TBH. Yes, we can say this for all generations but the way Baby Boomers and Generation X's have been stereotyping millennials lately and insulting us, you might as well include us all in one because it's obvious in their conversations they are talking about 2000's born's as well and they forget about the 80's born's. One girl (or young woman) on the radio said that the 2018 Winter Olympics was the first time ever millennials were in there because she heard of the 17 year old's and I'm like "GIRL, there's BEEN millennials in the Olympics for over a decade..." but it's too bad the "millennial" term is so broken now.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/21/18 at 3:34 pm

Generation Z started having an impact since the mid 2010's began y'all. Late millennials and early Gen Z feel the same TBH. Yes, we can say this for all generations but the way Baby Boomers and Generation X's have been stereotyping millennials lately and insulting us, you might as well include us all in one because it's obvious in their conversations they are talking about 2000's born's as well and they forget about the 80's born's. One girl (or young woman) on the radio said that the 2018 Winter Olympics was the first time ever millennials were in there because she heard of the 17 year old's and I'm like "GIRL, there's BEEN millennials in the Olympics for over a decade..." but it's too bad the "millennial" term is so broken now.

Goodness lol

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/21/18 at 3:42 pm

Nah, 2017 was the first year that Gen Z started having an impact.

2018 is just a continuation and Gen Z will get more influential and powerful. Be ready for the 2020 Presidential Election!

Written By: SailorSteven2017 on 02/21/18 at 3:45 pm

YEAH! MY (OR OUR) PEOPLE ARE MAKING A DIFFERENCE  :D

Written By: 2001 on 02/21/18 at 3:51 pm

More normies are becoming aware of Gen Z I think, after lumping them with Millennials forever. After the Tide Pod challenge happened, there were memes on Facebook about Millennials eating tide pods and the comments section was filled with thousands of people saying "No Gen Z is eating tide pods", lol.

;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/21/18 at 3:53 pm

Nah, 2017 was the first year that Gen Z started having an impact.

2018 is just a continuation and Gen Z will get more influential and powerful. Be ready for the 2020 Presidential Election!

What makes you say 2017 was the first year they had an impact? Just curious.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/21/18 at 3:54 pm

I know that Generation Z will definitely have a big impact in 2020 with the election given that people born from 1999-2002 will be able to vote.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/21/18 at 4:34 pm

What makes you say 2017 was the first year they had an impact? Just curious.

Music and popular culture trends.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/21/18 at 4:43 pm

Music and popular culture trends.

To expand on this:

It seems that more people define Gen Z as being 1995-2012 (or somewhere around there). I personally disagree but I also don't really care too much. Anyways based on that, 2017 featured a ton of music from these Gen Z artists:

2017 Gen Z Music Artists:

*Shawn Mendes (born in 1998)
*Camila Cabello (born in 1997)
*Dua Lipa (born in 1995)
*Post Malone (born in 1995)
*Khalid (born in 1998)
*Lil Pump (born in 2000)
*Hailee Steinfeld (born in 1996)
*Alessia Cara (born in 1996)
*Lauren Jauregui (member of Fifth Harmony, born in 1996)
*Normani (member of Fifth Harmony, born in 1996)
*Dinah Jane (member of Fifth Harmony, born in 1997)
*Kodak Black (born in 1997)
*Lil Yachty (born in 1997)
*XXXTentacion (born in 1998)

Gen Z social media trends:

The list would NEVER end, lol

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 02/21/18 at 5:44 pm

To expand on this:

It seems that more people define Gen Z as being 1995-2012 (or somewhere around there). I personally disagree but I also don't really care too much. Anyways based on that, 2017 featured a ton of music from these Gen Z artists:

*Dua Lipa (born in 1995)
*Khalid (born in 1998)
*Lil Pump (born in 2000)

Lil Pump has tattoos and he's not even old enough to have them yet.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/21/18 at 5:47 pm

To expand on this:

*Dua Lipa (born in 1995)
*Khalid (born in 1998)
*Lil Pump (born in 2000)

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o holy sh!t I had no idea those people were that young. Especially, Camila Cabello born in 1997!!!!!???? I was sure she was older than me and Khalid, 1998? WTF I am really shocked.  :o

I made a post a couple weeks ago asking what generation the current music belongs to because I thought many of these arists were 25+. Now, it's clear to me that music really is filled with generation Z artists. Thanks for the chart.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/21/18 at 5:49 pm

It is so weird seeing so many 90s babies as the main artists of this decade.

Written By: Dundee on 02/21/18 at 5:51 pm

Tbh the biggest shock was learning that Lil Pump was 3 years younger than me  ???, dude looks like in his late 20s.

Also it makes him technically the first 2000s born with a hit ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/21/18 at 6:05 pm

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o holy sh!t I had no idea those people were that young. Especially, Camila Cabello born in 1997!!!!!???? I was sure she was older than me and Khalid, 1998? WTF I am really shocked.  :o

I made a post a couple weeks ago asking what generation the current music belongs to because I thought many of these arists were 25+. Now, it's clear to me that music really is filled with generation Z artists. Thanks for the chart.

Yeah, I was surprised as well at first.

LOL, Gen Z has taken over :P.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/21/18 at 6:08 pm

Tbh the biggest shock was learning that Lil Pump was 3 years younger than me  ???, dude looks like in his late 20s.

It's because of all the Xanax's that he takes ;D. Also, all of those damn tattoos.

Nah, I highly believe that distinction belongs to Willow Smith (born in 2000) with her song "Whip My Hair" back in 2010.

Written By: Dundee on 02/21/18 at 6:23 pm

Nah, I highly believe that distinction belongs to Willow Smith (born in 2000) with her song "Whip My Hair" back in 2010.

I completely forgot about that :o She was so young back then.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/21/18 at 6:27 pm

The student protests are really inspiring. I hope Gen Z is more activist and recognize that their voice matters. They actually got Republicans to do something about gun control which is miraculous.

American Millennials pollute and scream on social media and kept Bernie or #StopTPP as their cover photos on Facebook for the virtue-signalling, but couldn't to be bothered to vote to stop Trump  8-P

Don't speak so soon. Gen Z may grow up and begin electing conservative leaders who make Trump look harmless.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/21/18 at 6:28 pm

Don't speak so soon. Gen Z may grow up and begin electing conservative leaders who make Trump look harmless.

Says who? ???

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/21/18 at 6:28 pm

I completely forgot about that :o She was so young back then.

Yep, she was only 9-10 years old.

Written By: 2001 on 02/21/18 at 6:29 pm

I think Trump just created a new generation of progressives just like Bush did ;D

This protest gives me some reason to be hopeful. We'll get a taste of Gen Z in the 2020 election.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 02/21/18 at 6:36 pm

It is so weird seeing so many 90s babies as the main artists of this decade.

hehehe
Well, those born in the 90s now are the same age as those born in the 40s were in the 60s. The band members of The Beach Boys, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Kinks, Animals, Who, all born in the 40s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/21/18 at 6:49 pm

To expand on this:

*Dua Lipa (born in 1995)
*Khalid (born in 1998)
*Lil Pump (born in 2000)

Here are some more artists

Zara Larsson (1997)
Noah Cyrus (Miley's little sis 2000)
Sabrina Carpenter (1999)
Bea Miller (1999)
Daya (1998)
Desiigner (Panda Guy 1997)
Kiiara (1995)
Kehlani (1995)
Lil' Peep (1996 R.I.P)
Martin Garrix (1996)
Rebecca Black (1997)
Zendaya (1996)
Becky G (1997)
Cody Simpson (1997)
Austin Mahone (1996)

LOL, Gen Z has taken over :P.
They actually took over pop culture a few years ago. Some of those artists listed were already on the charts.

I think Trump just created a new generation of progressives just like Bush did ;D

This protest gives me some reason to be hopeful. We'll get a taste of Gen Z in the 2020 election.
I think so too. People should know that not all of Gen Z likes Trump especially those who suffered through the school shootings last week and last month.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/21/18 at 6:54 pm

Yep, Gen Z does seem to be taking over. Although, most big artists these days are still Millenials, in particular those born in the late 80s and 1990-1994.

Written By: 2001 on 02/21/18 at 6:57 pm

I noticed people my age popping up in music in the late 2000s/early 2010s, and by the mid-2010s there were plenty who were younger than me, so I'm not shocked that more and more coming. I'm surprised Cabello is so young though, she is very talented!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/21/18 at 7:09 pm

Yep, Gen Z does seem to be taking over. Although, most big artists these days are still Millenials, in particular, those born in the late 80s and 1990-1994.
How many artists from that timeframe are still huge? The ones that come to mind are Kendrick, Rhianna, Ed Sheeran, T-Swift (although she's declining rapidly), Charlie Puth, G-Eazy, Halsey, Selena, Demi, The Weeknd, Cardi B (I don't see her lasting long though), and Justin Beiber. That's not most. It seems to be more like half millennials and half Gen Z to me.

I noticed people my age popping up in music in the late 2000s/early 2010s, and by the mid-2010s there were plenty who were younger than me, so I'm not shocked that more and more coming. I'm surprised Cabello is so young though, she is very talented!
Did you listen to the fifth harmony before she left?

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/21/18 at 7:12 pm

Says who? ???

A lot of people are anticipating a backlash against liberalism and the coming of a conservative decade in the 2020s.

Written By: 2001 on 02/21/18 at 7:17 pm

Did you listen to the fifth harmony before she left?

Yes I did. I really liked Worth It and Work From Home.  I thought those guys were born like 1993-1996 though.

A lot of people are anticipating a backlash against liberalism and the coming of a conservative decade in the 2020s.

Didn't that already happen? Except it was the Boomers who backlashed.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/21/18 at 7:24 pm

Yes, I did. I really liked Worth It and Work From Home.  I thought those guys were born like 1993-1996 though.
Yeah, it did surprise a lot of people although not to me since I first heard about them back when they were on the X-Factor. They were really young except the oldest member.

Written By: duenas8 on 02/21/18 at 7:26 pm

Jasmine Thompson back in 2013-14 as well

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/21/18 at 7:27 pm

How many artists from that timeframe are still huge? The ones that come to mind are Kendrick, Rhianna, Ed Sheeran, T-Swift (although she's declining rapidly), Charlie Puth, G-Eazy, Halsey, Selena, Demi, The Weeknd, Cardi B (I don't see her lasting long though), and Justin Beiber. That's not most. It seems to be more like half millennials and half Gen Z to me.

Drake, Miley Cyrus, all One Direction members, Ariana Grande, Bruno Mars then there are a few more from the early 80s and even late 70s who are still pretty big.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/21/18 at 7:38 pm

Drake, Miley Cyrus, all One Direction members, Ariana Grande, Bruno Mars then there are a few more from the early 80s and even late 70s who are still pretty big.
I'm not sure if Miley or the other 1D members are still big individually since the former isn't really in the media anymore and the other 1D guys haven't had another song yet except Liam. OTT, I still don't think today's music is mainly by Millennials, but rather both in between.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/21/18 at 7:40 pm

Yes I did. I really liked Worth It and Work From Home.  I thought those guys were born like 1993-1996 though.

Didn't that already happen? Except it was the Boomers who backlashed.

I think we've yet to see a real conservative generational backlash.

tbh, I think it's way too earlier to be drawing so many conclusions of gen z. I believe each generation really reveals itself when the oldest ones start hitting their mid-30s.

Written By: 2001 on 02/21/18 at 7:51 pm

I think we've yet to see a real conservative generational backlash.

tbh, I think it's way too earlier to be drawing so many conclusions of gen z. I believe each generation really reveals itself when the oldest ones start hitting their mid-30s.

Well it's already happened, just look around you! In Germany, the main left wing party fell below the fascist far-right AfD in the polls.  Left wing parties are in shambles practically everywhere :o

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/21/18 at 7:54 pm

I'm not sure if Miley or the other 1D members are still big individually since the former isn't really in the media anymore and the other 1D guys haven't had another song yet except Liam. OTT, I still don't think today's music is mainly by Millennials, but rather both in between.

All members had a hit song last year

Written By: nintieskid999 on 02/21/18 at 8:01 pm

To expand on this:

*Dua Lipa (born in 1995)
*Khalid (born in 1998)
*Lil Pump (born in 2000)

If you're born in the 90s you're Millennial. 13 years is too short for a generation.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/21/18 at 8:05 pm

If you're born in the 90s you're Millennial. 13 years is too short for a generation.

Please don't turn this thread into another generational debate.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 02/21/18 at 8:06 pm

I'm just saying the truth, that all the 90s births are very similar to one another.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/21/18 at 8:11 pm

Well it's already happened, just look around you! In Germany, the main left wing party fell below the fascist far-right AfD in the polls.  Left wing parties are in shambles practically everywhere :o

Let's say you're right. In your opinion, why did the left fall into shambles?

Written By: 2001 on 02/21/18 at 8:16 pm

If there was a song by the former members of 1D on the radio I wouldn't even know since I don't know the members (except Zayn) ;D

Let's say you're right. In your opinion, why did the left fall into shambles?

Because millennials don't vote, and Boomers are angry. If Millennial turnout was just a bit higher there would be no Brexit or Trump and the world would've been a better place.  :\'(

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/21/18 at 8:35 pm

Yeah. I don't think them being millennials or not is relevant. Even if we agreed that everyone born in the 90s is a millennial I'm pretty sure all the artists displayed in that chart make music that targets generation z.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/21/18 at 8:36 pm

If there was a song by the former members of 1D on the radio I wouldn't even know since I don't know the members (except Zayn) ;D

Because millennials don't vote, and Boomers are angry. If Millennial turnout was just a bit higher there would be no Brexit or Trump and the world would've been a better place.  :\'(

I think this is a very simplistic view of the situation and the left can't continue to rely on the right being the bigger of two evils. The right has a few genuine concerns and criticisms that left has been neglecting to really touch on.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/21/18 at 8:44 pm

I'm cool with this. Each generation doesn't wield real power until they get old. Hipness is for the insecure and gullible aka the youth. We all get old and find out we were young and stupid. :P

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/21/18 at 8:51 pm

I can't pinpoint it to an exact year, but they will have a bigger impact in the 2020s. In fact, all of them will be able to vote in the 2028 U.S. Election.

Which pretty much means that every single 2000's babies first election will be sometime in the 2020's.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/21/18 at 8:54 pm

All members had a hit song last year
Yeah, last year. Not this year yet except for Liam possibly.

Are you saying you didn't hear Liam's song last year?

Well, you can blame the Bernie folks and those who voted third party. Those are the reasons why Trump won aside from the typical statement that Hillary truly f*cked up.

Yeah. I don't think them being millennials or not is relevant. Even if we agreed that everyone born in the 90s is a millennial I'm pretty sure all the artists displayed in that chart make music that targets generation z.
Yeah, there's no undeniable fact that nearly all of the music is targeted towards Gen Z.

Well, you're not wrong about that, whereas the Millennials born in the early 80s are now pushing 40.
And some of younger ones are either in their 30s and or pushing it.

Which pretty much means that every single 2000's babies first election will be sometime in the 2020's.
If we're talking about presidential ones, then yeah. Otherwise, not so fast! The 2000 people will be voting in the midterms this year.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 02/21/18 at 9:00 pm

But if the culture of the 2020s ends up better than any other decade I've gone through I'm going to identify with the 2020s more than what I'm supposed to identify with.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/21/18 at 9:03 pm

But if the culture of the 2020s ends up better than any other decade I've gone through I'm going to identify with the 2020s more than what I'm supposed to identify with.

My mother still identifies with the 90s and she was 32 at the end of it. So I don't see it as a big deal.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 02/21/18 at 9:04 pm

My mother still identifies with the 90s and she was 32 at the end of it. So I don't see it as a big deal.

Yeah and there were lots of people born in the 1900s decade who identified with the 1940s too.

Written By: 2001 on 02/21/18 at 9:08 pm

I think this is a very simplistic view of the situation and the left can't continue to rely on the right being the bigger of two evils. The right has a few genuine concerns and criticisms that left has been neglecting to really touch on.

Perhaps, but putting (or allowing) these far right people into power doesn't resolve any of that. We have a left-wing government in Canada/Ontario that was elected on the back of youth turnout, and while it's been far from perfect we still got marijuana legalized, free drug insurance for everyone under 25, free tuition for everyone earning under $60k, a carbon tax, $15 minimum wage etc. and many things that millennials have been clamouring for for over a decade. Contrast that with the US where Obamacare is being gutted, student loan forgiveness is being scrapped, senile climate change and science deniers in every level of government, LGBT discrimination protections being eliminated etc. Left wing parties are not perfect but they still go in the general direction that most millennials want to go.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/21/18 at 9:28 pm

To expand on this:

*Dua Lipa (born in 1995)
*Khalid (born in 1998)
*Lil Pump (born in 2000)

I don't believe it has to do with when the artists were born. I believe it has to do with the Generation Z audience started making the majority audience into the music and when the EDM, disco rival and trap music got really big. You could argue that since 2013 and 2014 we've been in the Generation Z era of music. Especially if people say the millennial era of music started in 1999 and 2000, then no way those eras can be part of the same generation. Plus, if Generation Z starts in 1995 (which a lot of definitions have) then that makes the Trump election the first election where Gen Z started voting, since Obama's 2nd election in 2012 would be the last that had millennials and older only (starting with 1991-1994) which makes complete sense. The 2020 election won't feel much different than the 2016 election, but the 2012 election felt completely different and more comparable to the 2008 election. The Gen Z social media trends are the same as Gen Y (or millennials). Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and Snapchat. We're all part of it.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/21/18 at 9:33 pm

13 years is just right actually. 20 years is too long. You can't have 2 different generations in a 40 year span, that's not possible. The Baby Boomer generation is the only generation that can be long because it's post-WWII and even with that generation there are early 60's born's who don't mind being called Gen X (or Gen Jones) rather than Boomers. This also explains why the X generation can't go past 1980.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 02/21/18 at 9:56 pm

13 years is just right actually. 20 years is too long. You can't have 2 different generations in a 40 year span, that's not possible. The Baby Boomer generation is the only generation that can be long because it's post-WWII and even with that generation there are early 60's born's who don't mind being called Gen X (or Gen Jones) rather than Boomers. This also explains why the X generation can't go past 1980.

The GI Generation was longer than the Boomers though. They were born from 1901-1924. That's a 23 year long generation. Plus someone born in 1993 has way more common with someone born in 1996 than they do even with early Millennials.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/21/18 at 10:07 pm

I don't believe it has to do with when the artists were born. I believe it has to do with the Generation Z audience started making the majority audience into the music and when the EDM, disco rival and trap music got really big. You could argue that since 2013 and 2014 we've been in the Generation Z era of music. Especially if people say the millennial era of music started in 1999 and 2000, then no way those eras can be part of the same generation. Plus, if Generation Z starts in 1995 (which a lot of definitions have) then that makes the Trump election the first election where Gen Z started voting since Obama's 2nd election in 2012 would be the last that had millennials and older only (starting with 1991-1994) which makes complete sense. The 2020 election won't feel much different than the 2016 election, but the 2012 election felt completely different and more comparable to the 2008 election. The Gen Z social media trends are the same as Gen Y (or millennials). Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and Snapchat. We're all part of it.
I think you mean gen Y for your second sentence. OTT, I agree! Back in 2014, I believed that pop culture wouldn't start targeting Gen Z until the late 10s, but now that we are here I think it began earlier than I thought. By 2013-14, Snapchat and Instagram got huge. The emojis were a staple. The dominant music was the neo-teen pop with Ariana, 1D, Selena, Becky G, 5 seconds of Summer and more. Films began going through a dystopian perspective which began under the Hunger Games which placed teenagers in these apocalyptic worlds. The terrorist attacks and shootings increased rapidly over the next few years and is still ongoing, and it was definitely the first where Gen Z had a voice to vote in the 2016 election. I'm also in agreement that the 2012 election was more similar to 2008 rather than 2016, not just because Obama was running, but in addition that it was still an optimistic time.

While there were things out there meant for Millennials, there was very little after 2013.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 02/21/18 at 10:29 pm

I think you mean gen Y for your second sentence. OTT, I agree! Back in 2014, I believed that pop culture wouldn't start targeting Gen Z until the late 10s, but now that we are here I think it began earlier than I thought. By 2013-14, Snapchat and Instagram got huge. The emojis were a staple. The dominant music was the neo-teen pop with Ariana, 1D, Selena, Becky G, 5 seconds of Summer and more. Films began going through a dystopian perspective which began under the Hunger Games which placed teenagers in these apocalyptic worlds. The terrorist attacks and shootings increased rapidly over the next few years and is still ongoing, and it was definitely the first where Gen Z had a voice to vote in the 2016 election. I'm also in agreement that the 2012 election was more similar to 2008 rather than 2016, not just because Obama was running, but in addition that it was still an optimistic time.

While there were things out there meant for Millennials, there was very little after 2013.

I don't think almost anyone related to culture after 2013. I chalk it up to the culture being bad not that it's another generation's culture.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/21/18 at 10:46 pm

The GI Generation was longer than the Boomers though. They were born from 1901-1924. That's a 23-year long generation. Plus someone born in 1993 has way more common with someone born in 1996 than they do even with early Millennials.
Where do you draw the ending for the older Millennials?

I don't think almost anyone related to the culture after 2013. I chalk it up to the culture being bad not that it's another generation's culture.
Well, there are people who do enjoy today's culture which includes some older people; however, I really think it does have to do with generations considering folks end up aging out of the target pop culture after a certain age or milestone.

Written By: 2001 on 02/21/18 at 11:08 pm

There is a thread called "Every generational timeline after Baby Boomers is hard to pinpoint" where you can talk about this stuff. I don't want this unique and interesting topic to turn into generation debate thread #51016466488.  8-P

Written By: ofkx on 02/21/18 at 11:27 pm

Please don’t turn this topic into another “when dpes this generation end”.
Anyway, I really hope my generation turn out to be hippies ;D. It’ll completely shock those people who are saying we’re gonna be this ultra conservative generation. If anything, we’re hella more liberal and progressive than millennials.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/21/18 at 11:37 pm

Anyway, I really hope my generation turn out to be hippies ;D. It’ll completely shock those people who are saying we’re gonna be this ultra conservative generation. If anything, we’re hella more liberal and progressive than millennials.

Honestly, so far gen z doesn't look all that different from millennials.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/21/18 at 11:39 pm

I'd say we've been solidly within Gen Z culture since 2017, especially the later part. 2000 babies are turning 18 this year. And 2002 babies (typically seen as the first pure & unadulterated members of Generation Z ;D) are now 16, making them at the peak of their youthful stage. Times are changing, despite most musical artists still being born primarily in the 90s (whether you want to consider 90s babies Millennials or Z, is a separate topic altogether), the target audience of music nowadays seems to primarily be teenagers, aka 00s babies.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/21/18 at 11:52 pm

Honestly, so far gen z doesn't look all that different from millennials.

While if you were to just judge off of appearances I'd agree with you, however there are some noticeable differences in attitude. Gen Zers are typically known to be more conservative (not so much in political identification, but in every day relations), fiscally responsible, and future focused than Millennials were at their same age.

As an anecdote; back at my old job a couple of years back I knew a few underage employees (at the time, it were 15-16 y/o's) at my job whom seemed to have their heads on straight on what they wanted to do in their careers. I remember, as a sophomore in college who just discovered my passion, thinking "DAMN.... I'm a f*ckn loser" ;D. Ok a bit hyperbolic, but I digress.

It seems that Gen Zers, especially since they were raised by Gen Xers, were raised more realistically. Millennials (for sake of argument I'm gonna include myself in this category, please no benign generations arguments....) like myself, conversely were raised more.... I dare say it carelessly, but with good intentions. This makes Gen Z seem more determined and optimistic to accomplish great things, but while not being overly optimistic/confident as Millennials were. IDK if I articulated this the best way, but its what I noticed.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/21/18 at 11:53 pm

I'd say we've been solidly within Gen Z culture since 2017, especially the later part. 2000 babies are turning 18 this year. And 2002 babies (typically seen as the first pure & unadulterated members of Generation Z ;D) are now 16, making them at the peak of their youthful stage. Times are changing, despite most musical artists still being born primarily in the 90s (whether you want to consider 90s babies Millennials or Z, is a separate topic altogether), the target audience of music nowadays seems to primarily be teenagers, aka 00s babies.

THIS ^^^

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 02/22/18 at 12:03 am

I really hope so too, tbh.

I mean, I'm from a rural conservative area with conservative Gen X parents, yet I ended up being super progressive along with my younger siblings and cousins (we were born 1997-2002), and I have noticed a lot of young people here are much more progressive on social issues than Millennials here, I think our generation has grown up being much more aware of things going on than previous generations, and we've been exposed to much more points of view opposed to just what our parents and people in our area have told us due to the Internet. :)

Keep in mind, when I say progressive, I am referring to socially, my cousins consider themselves republicans, it's just that they are very accepting of LGBTQ+ people and don't really care about things like that. With my siblings and I, we prefer not to call ourselves democrats or republicans, at least yet. Most people my age in my area have told me they consider themselves socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 02/22/18 at 12:07 am

I really hope so too, tbh.

I mean, I'm from a rural conservative area with conservative Gen X parents, yet I ended up being super progressive along with my younger siblings and cousins (we were born 1997-2002), and I have noticed a lot of young people here are much more progressive on social issues than Millennials here, I think our generation has grown up being much more aware of things going on than previous generations, and we've been exposed to much more points of view opposed to just what our parents and people in our area have told us due to the Internet. :)

Keep in mind, when I say progressive, I am referring to socially, my cousins consider themselves republicans, it's just that they are very accepting of LGBTQ+ people and don't really care about things like that. With my siblings and I, we prefer not to call ourselves democrats or republicans, at least yet. Most people my age in my area have told me they consider themselves socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

But even earlier Millennials had the internet. We also had the ability to look things up and before social media it was much freer.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 02/22/18 at 12:14 am

But even earlier Millennials had the internet. We also had the ability to look things up and before social media it was much freer.

That's true, but I feel like early Gen Z grew up 'on' (which I did) the Internet whereas early Millennials grew up 'with' the Internet.

I've never really used social media that often (depending on what you consider social media ;D) even though most people my age have and do.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/22/18 at 1:47 am

While if you were to just judge off of appearances I'd agree with you, however there are some noticeable differences in attitude. Gen Zers are typically known to be more conservative (not so much in political identification, but in every day relations), fiscally responsible, and future focused than Millennials were at their same age.

As an anecdote; back at my old job a couple of years back I knew a few underage employees (at the time, it were 15-16 y/o's) at my job whom seemed to have their heads on straight on what they wanted to do in their careers. I remember, as a sophomore in college who just discovered my passion, thinking "DAMN.... I'm a f*ckn loser" ;D. Ok a bit hyperbolic, but I digress.

It seems that Gen Zers, especially since they were raised by Gen Xers, were raised more realistically. Millennials (for sake of argument I'm gonna include myself in this category, please no benign generations arguments....) like myself, conversely were raised more.... I dare say it carelessly, but with good intentions. This makes Gen Z seem more determined and optimistic to accomplish great things, but while not being overly optimistic/confident as Millennials were. IDK if I articulated this the best way, but its what I noticed.

But by that logic, boomers should be far more responsible than they are since they were raised by the great depression generation. I think gen z is a little too young to make those kind of assumptions, but we'll know for sure by 2030 when they're really out there making consequential decisions.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/22/18 at 7:43 am

Speak for yourself; I’ve voted in every election since I became eligible and I donate hundreds of dollars each year to campaigns and non-profit groups.

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/22/18 at 11:16 am

I'm not going to get into another complex debate about specific birth years. I'll just say that to me, the dividing line between Late Millennials and Early Gen Z is definitely Hannah Montana. ;D

I'm 23 and would consider myself a late Millennial and felt just narrowly too old for Hannah Montana, and all my classmates in middle school made fun of it. However, people just a few years younger than me remember Hannah Montana fondly as part of their childhood, and that's where Gen Z starts to me. Late 90s, not mid 90s. Just MY opinion though, lol.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/22/18 at 11:41 am

Gen Z is also referred to as "Post-millenials". It's pretty much defined as everyone born in the late 90's/2000 until now. The last of the Millennials have graduated high school. I don't really see much of difference between Post-millenials and the 90's babies. Much like the early Millennials by definition that are born in the early 80's aren't too different from late Gen-Xers. My teenage stepdaughter is 16 now (born in 2001), but acts like a typical Millenial. She questions authority and has a sense of entitlement.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/22/18 at 12:45 pm

Gen Z is also referred to as "Post-millenials". It's pretty much defined as everyone born in the late 90's/2000 until now. The last of the Millennials have graduated high school. I don't really see much of difference between Post-millenials and the 90's babies. Much like the early Millennials by definition that are born in the early 80's aren't too different from late Gen-Xers. My teenage stepdaughter is 16 now (born in 2001), but acts like a typical Millenial. She questions authority and has a sense of entitlement.

Another lie that's constantly being told. The most entitled generation in American histoy has and will continue to be for a long time....THE BABY BOOMERS!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/22/18 at 12:47 pm

I'm not going to get into another complex debate about specific birth years. I'll just say that to me, the dividing line between Late Millennials and Early Gen Z is definitely Hannah Montana. ;D

I'm 23 and would consider myself a late Millennial and felt just narrowly too old for Hannah Montana, and all my classmates in middle school made fun of it. However, people just a few years younger than me remember Hannah Montana fondly as part of their childhood, and that's where Gen Z starts to me. Late 90s, not mid 90s. Just MY opinion though, lol.

That's just you and a few of your friends. There are TONS of 1995 and 1996 borns who watched Hannah Montana. Stop it Zelek! Hannah Montana was heavily watched by people born from 1992-2001.

Written By: Dundee on 02/22/18 at 1:08 pm

Mfw someone uses a Disney channel series as a cutoff for a whole generation

Written By: 2001 on 02/22/18 at 1:29 pm

That's just you and a few of your friends. There are TONS of 1995 and 1996 borns who watched Hannah Montana. Stop it Zelek! Hannah Montana was heavily watched by people born from 1992-2001.

I didn't know Hannah Montana existed until 2009 when my 2005 born sisters started watching it ;D

Yeah it's not the thread for that.  ::)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/22/18 at 2:51 pm

I didn't know Hannah Montana existed until 2009 when my 2005 born sisters started watching it ;D

That's just you personally though :P.

Miley Cyrus, aka Hannah Montana herself was born in 1992 (November 23rd, 1992).

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/22/18 at 3:17 pm

That's just you personally though :P.

Miley Cyrus, aka Hannah Montana herself was born in 1992 (November 23rd, 1992).

See, I find this really weird. Just as more people around my age begin to have a larger presence on children's television, I start to age out of the target audience.

Honestly, I didn't like Hannah Montana. I thought it was because it sucked (I started to feel that way about most kid programs) but it was probably because I was simply getting older. I didn't know anyone in my age group who liked Hannah Montana either, it's definitely not something we talked about but I was in middle school/high school at the time. The only exception was my cousin who NEVER aged out of Disney stuff. She had Cheetah Girl posters on her wall throughout high school.

That doesn't mean that nobody from 1992 on up didn't watch HM but I didn't know any.

Written By: 2001 on 02/22/18 at 4:02 pm

Aren't you still 22? Fudging your age while it still works to your advantage. Enjoy it while it lasts ;D

I had to file paperwork for my drug insurance today since I'm 25 now.  :\'(

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/22/18 at 4:04 pm

Aren't you still 22? Fudging your age while it still works to your advantage. Enjoy it while it lasts ;D

My birthday is in a few months so I rounded up :P

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/22/18 at 4:25 pm

Anyone who uses a Disney Channel series as a cutoff for a generation should never talk about generations ever again.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/22/18 at 4:42 pm

Aw crap  :-\\

Written By: bchris02 on 02/22/18 at 4:44 pm

Yeah after about age 25 you start fudging downward instead of upward :(

MpRpky8Zk84

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 02/22/18 at 5:31 pm

The GI Generation was longer than the Boomers though. They were born from 1901-1924. That's a 23 year long generation. Plus someone born in 1993 has way more common with someone born in 1996 than they do even with early Millennials.

Some even say 1901-1927. That's even longer.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 02/22/18 at 5:34 pm

I don't believe it has to do with when the artists were born. I believe it has to do with the Generation Z audience started making the majority audience into the music and when the EDM, disco rival and trap music got really big. You could argue that since 2013 and 2014 we've been in the Generation Z era of music. Especially if people say the millennial era of music started in 1999 and 2000, then no way those eras can be part of the same generation. Plus, if Generation Z starts in 1995 (which a lot of definitions have) then that makes the Trump election the first election where Gen Z started voting, since Obama's 2nd election in 2012 would be the last that had millennials and older only (starting with 1991-1994) which makes complete sense. The 2020 election won't feel much different than the 2016 election, but the 2012 election felt completely different and more comparable to the 2008 election. The Gen Z social media trends are the same as Gen Y (or millennials). Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and Snapchat. We're all part of it.

I usually hear that the Millennial era of music started sometime between 1996 (at earliest) and 1999 (at latest).

I've never heard 2000.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/22/18 at 6:34 pm

My birthday is in a few months so I rounded up :P

I thought were born in 1995 ???

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 02/22/18 at 6:58 pm

I thought were born in 1995 ???

Isn't your birthday within a month?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/22/18 at 7:06 pm

Did anyone watch the CNN Town Hall yesterday about the Parkland shooting?

Gen Zers definitely had a PROFOUND IMPACT on that town hall. Watch out America, 2018 and 2020 will be a MAJOR backlash against conservatism and late Millennials and early Gen Zers will and are leading that backlash.

I wish that I could do more. Many people have said that I would make a good President or politician in general. However, I do not have the personality, wherewithal and energy to be a politician. I may have wisdom well beyond my years by I don't have the skills that it takes to be an effective politician.

Written By: 2001 on 02/22/18 at 7:22 pm

Yeah after about age 25 you start fudging downward instead of upward :(

Jennifer Lawrence (27) made a comment about waiting until Timothee Chamalet (22) is 30 before she starts dating him. In the comments people asked "Why not just date him now? She'll always be  5 years older," and one of the replies was "Untrue. When he's 30, she'll still be 27" ;D

Written By: 2001 on 02/22/18 at 7:57 pm

Gen Zers definitely had a PROFOUND IMPACT on that town hall. Watch out America, 2018 and 2020 will be a MAJOR backlash against conservatism and late Millennials and early Gen Zers will and are leading that backlash.

I wish that I could do more. Many people have said that I would make a good President or politician in general. However, I do not have the personality, wherewithal and energy to be a politician. I may have wisdom well beyond my years by I don't have the skills that it takes to be an effective politician.

Get them skills :P

I haven't watched the townhall but I'm proud of those guys nonetheless. They're standing up for what they believe in.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/22/18 at 8:10 pm

I feel like with the way people in their late 30's and older have been insulting millennials lately those born in the early 80's don't deserve to be called "millennials" because they don't have any of those traits at all, but at the same time there's no way early 80's born's are Gen X anymore. I believe early to mid 80's born's should just be called "Generation Y" but not "millennials". Millennials can go to those born in the late 80's, 90's for sure. Just like how those born in the late 40's through 50's are Baby Boomers only, but those born in the early 60's can be called Generation Jones along with Boomers.

NgPP6UXVkYU&t=3m50s

Start at 3:50

Written By: mqg96 on 02/22/18 at 8:13 pm

I usually hear that the Millennial era of music started sometime between 1996 (at earliest) and 1999 (at latest).

I've never heard 2000.

I always thought 1999 is when the teen pop era of music was in full effect with Britney Spears and other groups that were already around (or got big in the U.S. at the time) like Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls. But one of those groups did get popular in the U.S. in 1997 I believe, so your post proves my point even more that Gen Z culture has had a big effect since the mid 2010's started.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/22/18 at 8:35 pm

Get them skills :P

The skills would have to choose me not the other way around :P.

I haven't watched the townhall but I'm proud of those guys nonetheless. They're standing up for what they believe in.

Yep, 100% agreed.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 02/22/18 at 8:36 pm

I always thought 1999 is when the teen pop era of music was in full effect with Britney Spears and other groups that were already around (or got big in the U.S. at the time) like Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls. But one of those groups did get popular in the U.S. in 1997 I believe, so your post proves my point even more that Gen Z culture has had a big effect since the mid 2010's started.

That group was the Spice Girls.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/22/18 at 9:30 pm

I feel like with the way people in their late 30's and older have been insulting millennials lately those born in the early 80's don't deserve to be called "millennials" because they don't have any of those traits at all, but at the same time there's no way early 80's born's are Gen X anymore. I believe early to mid 80's born's should just be called "Generation Y" but not "millennials". Millennials can go to those born in the late 80's, 90's for sure. Just like how those born in the late 40's through 50's are Baby Boomers only, but those born in the early 60's can be called Generation Jones along with Boomers.

NgPP6UXVkYU&t=3m50s

It's going to change soon I guarantee you. By then, the oldest Millennials will be in their 40s and most of the younger ones will be in their 30s or close to it. In addition, Gen Z will already have a voice after they have this march about guns next month and that some of them will be voting in the midterms in November.

I always thought 1999 is when the teen pop era of music was in full effect with Britney Spears and other groups that were already around (or got big in the U.S. at the time) like Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls. But one of those groups did get popular in the U.S. in 1997 I believe, so your post proves my point even more that Gen Z culture has had a big effect since the mid-2010's started.

That group was the Spice Girls.
Yeah, I agree that the late 90s were the first period to be for Millennials. Some music started targeting them around that time since that's when the Spice Girls became popular and continued to dominate the teen music scene for a few years before Britney took over.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/22/18 at 9:54 pm

NgPP6UXVkYU&t=3m50s

1983 was the first year of Millennials in my opinion.  People born before that are Gen X or at least cuspers.  Being born in 1985 I find that I have more in common with 90s babies than 70s babies.  It might not be the same way for everyone my age though.  Growing up I always thought I was Generation X.  It wasn't until the late 2000s when the media started talking about Millennials that I learned that was the cohort I belonged to.  At the time, they started Millennials at 1982 or 1983 because those were the birth years to graduate high school in the year 2000.  I still think that's a good definition.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 02/22/18 at 9:59 pm

NgPP6UXVkYU&t=3m50s

But there are some people who are born in 1990 who don't have the political views or personality traits of Millennials either. Is it fair to generalize those people?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/23/18 at 10:54 am

Isn't your birthday within a month?

Actually, its only within a couple of weeks from now. Bout a turn 22!

Yes, which means I'm going to be 23 in a few months. 2018 - 23 = 1995.

My bad, I miss read your quote as you about to be 23 ;D.

I 100% agree. I see the Trump Presidency as the era of Gen Zer's political awakening similar to how the G.W.B. Presidency was for Millennials.

Oh and btw, you should man! You may not be able to run for office now, but theres tons of ways to get involved politically. We both live in liberal states (I'm in NJ, you're from NY) so we have the opportunity to join various causes, non profits, protests, etc.

I agree bro. Maybe Late 1998, but generally speaking its 1999. But this dreading into decadeology, so I'm gonna stop here!

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/23/18 at 11:14 am

On the topic, yes Gen Z will have an impact, especially in the midterms, following this shooting. Gen Z will be barn-burners.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/23/18 at 11:36 am

I 100% agree. I see the Trump Presidency as the era of Gen Zer's political awakening similar to how the G.W.B. Presidency was for Millennials.

Agreed.

Oh and btw, you should man! You may not be able to run for office now, but theres tons of ways to get involved politically. We both live in liberal states (I'm in NJ, you're from NY) so we have the opportunity to join various causes, non profits, protests, etc.

I could look into those other stuff not actually running for political office though ;D.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/23/18 at 5:42 pm

I feel like 2018 is officially 100% Gen Z culture and if it's not 100% it's extremely close to it.

Written By: unicornic on 02/23/18 at 6:08 pm

I feel like 2018 is officially 100% Gen Z culture and if it's not 100% it's extremely close to it.
If Gen Z starts in 1995 then we are definitely in gen z culture.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 02/23/18 at 11:09 pm

Sociologists don't use childrens pop culture to determine when a generation starts and ends. If that were the case, you would've had the generation following X start in the mid 70s instead of the early 80s, since those born in the mid 70s were in the target demographic for cartoons such as He-Man, Inspector Gadget, and Transformers, which ushered in the age of children's animation.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/24/18 at 12:32 am

It might change but I think making 1980-1989 Gen Y (or Oregon Trail Generation) and 1990-1999 (or even 1990-2005) Millennials would quell a lot of bitching. Most people born in the 80s don't identify with Millennials because the change in tech was huge with those born in the 90s and their personality traits are oftentimes different.
Again, that's because there are unfortunate stereotypes associated with them that were proven false. Very few Millennials (including the younger ones) are whiny, lazy and entitled.  Oh, and the technology is only one aspect of a generation. That should not be the significant thing to describe them.

I'm telling you, the negative view of Millennials will change soon. Trust me on that. Besides, some 90s folks are already near 30. That should give you a clue.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/24/18 at 3:46 pm

Sociologists don't use childrens pop culture to determine when a generation starts and ends. If that were the case, you would've had the generation following X start in the mid 70s instead of the early 80s, since those born in the mid 70s were in the target demographic for cartoons such as He-Man, Inspector Gadget, and Transformers, which ushered in the age of children's animation.

Exactly. It’s better to measure it by who their parents are.

This. I knew as soon as I heard In Bloom by Neck Deep that this was not only a new cultural phase but a new generation of artists. And not just a new generation as in new people but younger.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 02/24/18 at 4:09 pm

Exactly. It’s better to measure it by who their parents are.

This. I knew as soon as I heard In Bloom by Neck Deep that this was not only a new cultural phase but a new generation of artists. And not just a new generation as in new people but younger.

"Exactly. It's better to measure it by who their parents are."

You talking about a lineal generation theory?
I have actually thought up a lineal generation theory with each interval spanning 9 years.
Ones parents on average would be from 3 intervals before their own, although obviously they could also be from two or four if they had them young or old.
Going by this, the average age difference between one and their parent would be 27.
The average age difference between one and their grandparent would be 54.
The average age difference between one and their great-grandparent would be 81.
The average age difference between one and their great-great-grandparent would be 108.
and so on and so forth.

Here are the intervals I came up with. Each of these intervals spans 9 years;

1883-1891 = Edwardian
1892-1900 = World War I
1901-1909 = Prohibition
1910-1918 = Depression
1919-1927 = World War II
1928-1936 = Silent
1937-1945 = Civil Rights
1946-1954 = Baby Boomer
1955-1963 = Jones
1964-1972 = Reagan
1973-1981 = Grunge
1982-1990 = Millennial
1991-1999 = Centennial
2000-2008 = iGen
2009-2017 = Alpha

So basically, it would work like this;

Centennials (1991-1999)
Children of the Reagan Generation (1964-1972)
Grandchildren of the Civil Rights Generation (1937-1945)
Great-Grandchildren of the Depression Generation (1910-1918)
Great-Great-Grandchildren of the Edwardian Generation (1883-1891)

iGen (2000-2008)
Children of the Grunge Generation (1973-1981)
Grandchildren of the Baby Boomers (1946-1954)
Great-Grandchildren of the World War II Generation (1919-1927)
Great-Great-Grandchildren of the World War I Generation (1892-1900)

Generation Alpha (2009-2017)
Children of the Millennials (1982-1990)
Grandchildren of Generation Jones (1955-1963)
Great-Grandchildren of the Silent Generation (1928-1936)
Great-Great-Grandchildren of the Prohibition Generation (1901-1909)

Now, obviously there are going to be plenty of exceptions, as many also have parents from two or four intervals before their own, especially if they're either on the younger or older side of their own interval, but generally speaking, most would probably have parents from three intervals before their own.

Written By: unicornic on 02/24/18 at 4:12 pm

"Exactly. It's better to measure it by who their parents are."

You talking about a lineal generation theory?
I have actually thought up a lineal generation theory with each interval spanning 9 years.
Ones parents on average would be from 3 intervals before their own, although obviously they could also be from two or four if they had them young or old.
Going by this, the average age difference between one and their parent would be 27.
The average age difference between one and their grandparent would be 54.
The average age difference between one and their great-grandparent would be 81.
The average age difference between one and their great-great-grandparent would be 108.
and so on and so forth.

Here are the intervals I came up with. Each of these intervals spans 9 years;

1883-1891 = Edwardian
1892-1900 = World War I
1901-1909 = Prohibition
1910-1918 = Depression
1919-1927 = World War II
1928-1936 = Silent
1937-1945 = Civil Rights
1946-1954 = Baby Boomer
1955-1963 = Jones
1964-1972 = Reagan
1973-1981 = Grunge
1982-1990 = Millennial
1991-1999 = Centennial
2000-2008 = iGen
2009-2017 = Alpha

So basically, it would work like this;

Centennials (1991-1999)
Children of the Reagan Generation (1964-1972)
Grandchildren of the Civil Rights Generation (1937-1945)
Great-Grandchildren of the Depression Generation (1910-1918)
Great-Great-Grandchildren of the Edwardian Generation (1883-1891)

iGen (2000-2008)
Children of the Grunge Generation (1973-1981)
Grandchildren of the Baby Boomers (1946-1954)
Great-Grandchildren of the World War II Generation (1919-1927)
Great-Great-Grandchildren of the World War I Generation (1892-1900)

Generation Alpha (2009-2017)
Children of the Millennials (1982-1990)
Grandchildren of Generation Jones (1955-1963)
Great-Grandchildren of the Silent Generation (1928-1936)
Great-Great-Grandchildren of the Prohibition Generation (1901-1909)

Now, obviously there are going to be plenty of exceptions, as many also have parents from two or four intervals before their own, especially if they're either on the younger or older side of their own interval, but generally speaking, most would probably have parents from three intervals before their own.

Ugh, please don’t turn this thread into another generational debate.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/24/18 at 4:17 pm

Where have you been for the last three pages? Lol

Written By: unicornic on 02/24/18 at 4:18 pm

Where have you been for the last three pages? Lol

There’s too many posts here discussing starting dates for gen z when that’s not the point of this thread

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/24/18 at 4:21 pm

I actually agree with unicornic. It's best to put the generational debates on another thread where it's appropriate or make another thread about it. Let's get back on topic now.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/24/18 at 4:25 pm

To answer the thread, I do feel like Generation Z is really starting to make their voices heard IMO.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 02/24/18 at 5:25 pm

Not trying to, was just responding and following up to the point LooseBolt brought up. 
Sorry if it seemed like I was.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/24/18 at 5:43 pm

To answer the thread, I do feel like Generation Z is really starting to make their voices heard IMO.
I agree they are although I think their voices started a few years earlier than we believe. Gen Z has been in some other shootings before the Florida one, and that they witnessed the other attacks from the last several years.

Written By: ofkx on 02/25/18 at 4:01 am

I agree they are although I think their voices started a few years earlier than we believe. Gen Z has been in some other shootings before the Florida one, and that they witnessed the other attacks from the last several years.

I think it has to do with them being more politically aware at a much younger age than previous generations. Previous generations weren't really exposed to stuff like terrorism and school shooting since there were a lot less than now. Plus, they didn’t have the internet.

Written By: Dundee on 02/25/18 at 4:04 am

1883-1891 = Edwardian
1892-1900 = World War I
1901-1909 = Prohibition
1910-1918 = Depression
1919-1927 = World War II
1928-1936 = Silent
1937-1945 = Civil Rights
1946-1954 = Baby Boomer
1955-1963 = Jones
1964-1972 = Reagan
1973-1981 = Grunge
1982-1990 = Millennial
1991-1999 = Centennial
2000-2008 = iGen
2009-2017 = Alpha

Why is one of them called after a music genre and the rest mostly after political events? That's just beyond ridiculous :o Let's call them all after a genre they popularized then ;D

1919-1927 = Generation Swing
1928-1936 = Generation Big Band
1937-1945 = Generation Rock 'n' Roll
1946-1954 = Generation Beatles
1955-1963 = Generation Disco
1964-1972 = Generation Synthpop
1973-1981 = Generation Grunge
1982-1990 = Generation Emo
1991-1999 = Generation Electropop
2000-2008 = Generation Trap

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/03/18 at 9:58 am

Two days ago pew research center drew a line in the sand and said Gen Z begins in 1997 using the 9/11 memory cutoff. That's just one opinion out of many, but its interesting because now we can get more solidly-measured ideas on Gen Z's politics and life values.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/03/18 at 10:11 am

Two days ago pew research center drew a line in the sand and said Gen Z begins in 1997 using the 9/11 memory cutoff. That's just one opinion out of many, but its interesting because now we can get more solidly-measured ideas on Gen Z's politics and life values.

I don't really like using only one event as a cutoff. The 9/11 one is just too Americentric IMO.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/03/18 at 11:08 am

I don't really like using only one event as a cutoff. The 9/11 one is just too Americentric IMO.

I thought the generations we describe on here mostly just fit Americans anyway: the Greatest Generation and Gen X aren't what they would be outside the U.S.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/03/18 at 12:23 pm

That's so arbitrary and dumb.

If you were born between 1995-2000, then YOU can personally decide whether you're a late Millennial or early Gen Z.

This entire thing is ridiculous 8-P.

Written By: unicornic on 03/03/18 at 12:25 pm

PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT GENERATION SPANS THAT IS NOT THE POINT OF THIS THREAD

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 03/03/18 at 12:27 pm

The "remember 9/11" certainly is flawed, however pretty much every other cutoff method used to determine the line between Y and Z is as well.

A few years ago on Personality Cafe, a user by the name of "LanceDead13" gave a very interesting point as to why this is so.

Here's what he had to say;

Here is my look on things. Keep in mind that this is all just in my own little opinion and you're welcomed to not agreeing/ignoring it.

"The Internet Rule"
At first this seemed like a legitimate rule, but it is now pretty flawed in some ways. First off being born on the same year that the internet was released doesn't mean much of anything really. The difference of being born the same year that IE was released and being born 1 year prior has little to no differences since in the end neither people would be able to remember much of time before the release of IE. This applies to anyone from 1995 and back to say 1992 (or maybe even 1991 and 1990 since they mostly grew up in a time after IE was released). Also if you wanna speak in technicality terms that would mean that months January to July is Gen Y of 1995 is Gen Y while August - December 1995 is Gen Z since those from July 1995 or before were born before the release of IE which was released in August 1995. But even regarding this my previous point still stands. Being born the same time IE released and 1-2 years before has little to no difference since in none of those case would the person be able to remember a time period before IE was released.

"The 9/11 Rule"
Again at first this may seem like a legitimate rule in some ways, but flawed in others. For one those born as late as 1995 should be able to remember 2001 or some time before as remembering things from age 5-6 is common among people. But the thing is while someone may remember 9/11 it doesn't mean much if they grew up mostly in a time period after 9/11 happened. Again this can even apply to people from 1992 to 1995 even though they weren't in any pre-schooling when it happened as they all were in elementary by that time. But in most cases kids under say 9-10 weren't really aware of economical/political events/transitions. Now being in school when 9/11 happened vs learning about 9/11 in school years later is a big thing that can separate people of certain age groups. It's sort of like learning about World War 2 in some history textbook vs being someone who actually lived in a time when World War 2 was actually happening. That alone makes for a big difference. But I'm digressing here....in short even the 9/11 has some flaws to it.

"Sometimes Gens are defined by personality"
This can make things confusing since EVERYONE is unique in their personality. But lets just pretend that being in a Gen really does have a huge effect on a person's personality (whether it really does or not is something I'm in no position to debate since I prefer not to generalize). Now if two people are only 1-2 years apart then there isn't much of a difference between them honestly. We all had friends, siblings, love ones, cousins etc who we're only 1-2 years a part from. Anyways if people are only 1-2 years a part then they're very relatable in a good number of ways in terms of the time period that they grew up in and the things that may affect them from those time periods. If being in different Gens affect a person's personality then what does it mean when two people are literally less than 2 years a part from each other? Someone from 1994 and someone from 1995 are automatically different just between they were born in different year numbers? Despite the fact that anyone from say 1993-1995 grew up in the same time period? And it isn't uncommon for the youngest in one generation and the oldest in the next generation to be relatable. The youngest X and oldest Y can relate easily especially if they're 2 years or less in terms of age distances. Same thing applies for the youngest Y and oldest Z or the youngest Z and oldest Alpha.

"The 1990s kid rule"
.....Generation Y is not a synonym for 90's Kid. If that was the case then those from 1993 or 1994 would be 1990s kids even though most of their peak childhood was in the 2000s. And to me 1992 are only hybrids.

"This is what this website/article says"
Some websites tend to use outdated age ranges even if they were published recently. Also I've found quite a few websites that have end dates in 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 or beyond. Due to the fact that most of these websites aren't really on 100% agreement with each other gives me the idea that I shouldn't latch onto to any cutoff year. If the article/website writers and researchers can't really fully agree on a specific date then how would my end date be considered any more legitimate than theirs? Wouldn't that just put me into the group of "I'm not 100% sure, here is my "supposedly correct end date". If you have your own end date then by all means I respect that, but at the same time you must never consider your end date to be the most truthful one. Heck I don't even follow the end date that this website uses (no offense to the people admins/mods of this website).

"I/We had these while growing up"
Err......Last time I checked when researchers do research on Gens they don't look into things like these. At least not that I'm aware of anyways (if they do then my mistake).

In the end no information/rule on what person belongs to what Gen is 100% written in stone. That would be impossible as that would pretty much end up in generalizing millions of people that you don't know which does nothing but end things in backlash. Being considered to be a part of Gen X,Y,Z, Alpha etc should not really have much of an effect on you. It wouldn't change the way you are or the way you've grown up in this world. This is all just my way of looking at it. If you disagree then hey I respect that as it isn't a big deal. If my post made you incredibly upset then my apologies as that is not what I was trying to aim for.

P.S. Didn't birthrates have some relation to when a Gen begins or ends at one point or is my memory messing up again?

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/03/18 at 12:35 pm

The "remember 9/11" certainly is flawed, however pretty much every other cutoff method used to determine the line between Y and Z is as well.

A few years ago on Personality Cafe, a user by the name of "LanceDead13" gave a very interesting point as to why this is so.

Here's what he had to say;

Here is my look on things. Keep in mind that this is all just in my own little opinion and you're welcomed to not agreeing/ignoring it.

"The Internet Rule"
At first this seemed like a legitimate rule, but it is now pretty flawed in some ways. First off being born on the same year that the internet was released doesn't mean much of anything really. The difference of being born the same year that IE was released and being born 1 year prior has little to no differences since in the end neither people would be able to remember much of time before the release of IE. This applies to anyone from 1995 and back to say 1992 (or maybe even 1991 and 1990 since they mostly grew up in a time after IE was released). Also if you wanna speak in technicality terms that would mean that months January to July is Gen Y of 1995 is Gen Y while August - December 1995 is Gen Z since those from July 1995 or before were born before the release of IE which was released in August 1995. But even regarding this my previous point still stands. Being born the same time IE released and 1-2 years before has little to no difference since in none of those case would the person be able to remember a time period before IE was released.

"The 9/11 Rule"
Again at first this may seem like a legitimate rule in some ways, but flawed in others. For one those born as late as 1995 should be able to remember 2001 or some time before as remembering things from age 5-6 is common among people. But the thing is while someone may remember 9/11 it doesn't mean much if they grew up mostly in a time period after 9/11 happened. Again this can even apply to people from 1992 to 1995 even though they weren't in any pre-schooling when it happened as they all were in elementary by that time. But in most cases kids under say 9-10 weren't really aware of economical/political events/transitions. Now being in school when 9/11 happened vs learning about 9/11 in school years later is a big thing that can separate people of certain age groups. It's sort of like learning about World War 2 in some history textbook vs being someone who actually lived in a time when World War 2 was actually happening. That alone makes for a big difference. But I'm digressing here....in short even the 9/11 has some flaws to it.

"Sometimes Gens are defined by personality"
This can make things confusing since EVERYONE is unique in their personality. But lets just pretend that being in a Gen really does have a huge effect on a person's personality (whether it really does or not is something I'm in no position to debate since I prefer not to generalize). Now if two people are only 1-2 years apart then there isn't much of a difference between them honestly. We all had friends, siblings, love ones, cousins etc who we're only 1-2 years a part from. Anyways if people are only 1-2 years a part then they're very relatable in a good number of ways in terms of the time period that they grew up in and the things that may affect them from those time periods. If being in different Gens affect a person's personality then what does it mean when two people are literally less than 2 years a part from each other? Someone from 1994 and someone from 1995 are automatically different just between they were born in different year numbers? Despite the fact that anyone from say 1993-1995 grew up in the same time period? And it isn't uncommon for the youngest in one generation and the oldest in the next generation to be relatable. The youngest X and oldest Y can relate easily especially if they're 2 years or less in terms of age distances. Same thing applies for the youngest Y and oldest Z or the youngest Z and oldest Alpha.

"The 1990s kid rule"
.....Generation Y is not a synonym for 90's Kid. If that was the case then those from 1993 or 1994 would be 1990s kids even though most of their peak childhood was in the 2000s. And to me 1992 are only hybrids.

"This is what this website/article says"
Some websites tend to use outdated age ranges even if they were published recently. Also I've found quite a few websites that have end dates in 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 or beyond. Due to the fact that most of these websites aren't really on 100% agreement with each other gives me the idea that I shouldn't latch onto to any cutoff year. If the article/website writers and researchers can't really fully agree on a specific date then how would my end date be considered any more legitimate than theirs? Wouldn't that just put me into the group of "I'm not 100% sure, here is my "supposedly correct end date". If you have your own end date then by all means I respect that, but at the same time you must never consider your end date to be the most truthful one. Heck I don't even follow the end date that this website uses (no offense to the people admins/mods of this website).

"I/We had these while growing up"
Err......Last time I checked when researchers do research on Gens they don't look into things like these. At least not that I'm aware of anyways (if they do then my mistake).

In the end no information/rule on what person belongs to what Gen is 100% written in stone. That would be impossible as that would pretty much end up in generalizing millions of people that you don't know which does nothing but end things in backlash. Being considered to be a part of Gen X,Y,Z, Alpha etc should not really have much of an effect on you. It wouldn't change the way you are or the way you've grown up in this world. This is all just my way of looking at it. If you disagree then hey I respect that as it isn't a big deal. If my post made you incredibly upset then my apologies as that is not what I was trying to aim for.

P.S. Didn't birthrates have some relation to when a Gen begins or ends at one point or is my memory messing up again?

The reason why I don't like the 9/11 cutoff is that people's memories are different. Someone born in say 1995 who didn't live in the United States probably won't remember it whereas someone born in say 1997 who lived in New York could have remembered it. And according to some people, being in diapers when 9/11 happened is enough to be a millennial.  ::)
Every cutoff is going to be vague which is why I don't waste my time discussing generations as much anymore.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/03/18 at 12:59 pm

PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT GENERATION SPANS THAT IS NOT THE POINT OF THIS THREAD

EXACTLY!

Written By: nintieskid999 on 03/03/18 at 2:00 pm

The 2008 crash affected more people outside of the US and impacted our lives more. Our lives typically went on as normal after 9/11. It didn't affect me much. 2008 had a huge effect on my life and the world changed far more after 2008 than after 9/11.

Written By: pink.panda_v3 on 06/09/18 at 3:35 pm

Speaking of 9/11... Since it's 2018, why don't we make a "Born after 9/11 and Pregnant" TV series?  :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

Written By: unicornic on 06/09/18 at 3:37 pm

Speaking of 9/11... Since it's 2018, why don't we make a "Born after 9/11 and Pregnant" TV series?  :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

😭😭

Check for new replies or respond here...