inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Country music is the greatest aspect of this decade's "pop culture"

Written By: HeyJealousy on 02/23/18 at 9:00 pm

Catchy, hooky pop-rock songs dressed in "country" seasoning, that's what modern country music is (almost every "country" single released to FM radio after 2012 or so).
It might be simplistic and minimalistic, but I like it.
Although it's starting to overstay its welcome. I believe mainstream country-pop jumped the shark with "Body On A Back Road" (or whatever that tune was called). It's not quite as popular as it was back in 2014 or so. That's when Sam Hunt was destined to be the next Eminem, or Toby Keith, or Jim fu*king Morrison. Now, he's going the way of Collin Raye.
Just wait another 20 years from now, and you'll see that country-pop (Sam Hunt, Florida-Georgia Line, Cole Swindell, etc) will be the epicenter of "2010s nostalgia" (if it's even a thing). Forget about trap rap and EDM, EDM will still linger around (but evolve into a catchier AND more mature sound) and trap will go back underground. It's country that defined this decade for the mainstream white American youth and then some.

Subject: Re: Country music is the greatest aspect of this decade's "pop culture"

Written By: Dundee on 02/23/18 at 9:11 pm

By the way it has a name and it is called "Bro-country".
I don't mind most maintream music, but the charting pop-country definitely was one thing that didn't pass  8-P

Subject: Re: Country music is the greatest aspect of this decade's "pop culture"

Written By: HeyJealousy on 02/23/18 at 9:25 pm

By the way it has a name and it is called "Bro-country".
I don't mind most maintream music, but the charting pop-country definitely was one thing that didn't pass  8-P

You're right.
I can thoroughly enjoy some (not all) pop-country. I honestly prefer '80s/'90s country and modern alternative country (see Jason Isbell) by a long shot. Brooks & Dunn, Collin Raye, Steve Earle, Lyle Lovett, early Martina McBride, early Faith Hill, Randy Travis, Dwight Yoakam (especially Yoakam), Alabama, Restless Heart, and a slew of "has-been" country singer-songwriters most folks have never heard of (unless they were BIG into country during the late 1970s-late 1990s time frame). I'm talking about Steve Azar (late 1990s), Mark Collie (early 1990s), Ty Herndon (early/mid 1990s), Mel McDaniel (1980s), Pam Tillis (late 1980s), Kathy Mattea (1980s), etc, etc. Also the band Sons Of The Desert who had one or two moderately successful singles (by country standards) in the mid-late 1990s. And going way back to the late '50s-late '70s, some of the greats like Merle Haggard (you probably know him) and Willie Nelson (you MUST know him) and lesser-known acts like Johnny Paycheck. You get the picture.
Other than that, it's mostly alternative, punk, classic rock, some metal and some old-school/underground hip-hop.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 02/23/18 at 9:27 pm

You may have figured I enjoy at least *some* metal, because of Al Jourgeson (frontman of industrial-metal band Ministry, from the 80s and early 90s).

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/24/18 at 1:49 pm

You're right.
I can thoroughly enjoy some (not all) pop-country. I honestly prefer '80s/'90s country and modern alternative country (see Jason Isbell) by a long shot. Brooks & Dunn, Collin Raye, Steve Earle, Lyle Lovett, early Martina McBride, early Faith Hill, Randy Travis, Dwight Yoakam (especially Yoakam), Alabama, Restless Heart, and a slew of "has-been" country singer-songwriters most folks have never heard of (unless they were BIG into country during the late 1970s-late 1990s time frame). I'm talking about Steve Azar (late 1990s), Mark Collie (early 1990s), Ty Herndon (early/mid 1990s), Mel McDaniel (1980s), Pam Tillis (late 1980s), Kathy Mattea (1980s), etc, etc. Also the band Sons Of The Desert who had one or two moderately successful singles (by country standards) in the mid-late 1990s. And going way back to the late '50s-late '70s, some of the greats like Merle Haggard (you probably know him) and Willie Nelson (you MUST know him) and lesser-known acts like Johnny Paycheck. You get the picture.
Other than that, it's mostly alternative, punk, classic rock, some metal and some old-school/underground hip-hop.

You wouldn't happen to have SiriusXM, would you? There's a great channel on there called Outlaw Country (Channel 60) that I think you'd really like. I've discovered lots of great artists and songs on there.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/24/18 at 3:37 pm

I think of country the way most people think of rap.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/24/18 at 6:06 pm

I like both types of music. Country and Western.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/24/18 at 8:43 pm

I like both types of music. Country and Western.

A fellow fan of the Blues Brothers, perhaps?

Written By: HeyJealousy on 02/25/18 at 5:12 pm

You wouldn't happen to have SiriusXM, would you? There's a great channel on there called Outlaw Country (Channel 60) that I think you'd really like. I've discovered lots of great artists and songs on there.

Yes, I do and Outlaw Country is probably in my Top 5 listened to along with Willie's Roadhouse, Prime Country and Lithium (for my '90s alternative sensibilities).

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/25/18 at 7:12 pm

A fellow fan of the Blues Brothers, perhaps?

;D ;D

Subject: Country music is the greatest aspect of this decade's "pop culture"

Written By: Dude111 on 02/25/18 at 7:28 pm

Catchy, hooky pop-rock songs dressed in "country" seasoning, that's what modern country music is (almost every "country" single released to FM radio after 2012 or so).

Yes that may be but like traditional country music.... The stuff they play now in my opinion IS NOT COUNTRY MUSIC!! (Its rock with a country swing)

Written By: That 2004 vibe on 04/26/18 at 11:16 am

I don't even listen to country

Check for new replies or respond here...