inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will gangsta rap make a comeback?

Written By: Milk on 02/27/18 at 10:26 am

Right now rap is mostly trap

Subject: Re: Will gangsta rap make a comeback?

Written By: Dundee on 02/27/18 at 10:53 am

Trap Rap is actually a sub-genre of Gangsta Rap, if you mean the 90s Boom Bap Gangsta Rap then why not, maybe throughout the 2020s akin to 80s Boogie did during this decade.

Written By: Bab2781 on 02/28/18 at 8:03 am

90s style of rap will never return.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/28/18 at 10:47 am

I hope something changes with hip-hop soon.  There is some good stuff but most of it is generic trap, every song virtually indistinguishable from the next.  Hip-hop is one genre that was actually better in the mid '10s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/28/18 at 2:36 pm

Trap Rap is actually a sub-genre of Gangsta Rap, if you mean the 90s Boom Bap Gangsta Rap then why not, maybe throughout the 2020s akin to 80s Boogie did during this decade.
I agree. They practically have the same content. The only difference is the beats and style.

I hope something changes with hip-hop soon.  There is some good stuff but most of it is a generic trap, every song virtually indistinguishable from the next.  Hip-hop is one genre that was actually better in the mid-'10s.
If we're talking about non-trap hip-hop, then I definitely agree!

Written By: Dundee on 02/28/18 at 3:18 pm

I agree. They practically have the same content. The only difference is the beats and style.
Not 100% exactly, Gangsta Rap's content extents to gang violence and illigal activities, while Trap Rap sticks to mostly just drugs and money.
Gangsta Rap is also usually more aggressive and features heavy basslines, while Trap Rap is usually slower paced, more focused on being gritty and features hi-hats instead.

Good example of modern Gangsta Rap:
7iJDXIOk0bg

Good example of Trap Rap:
7cDYYvOhKwg

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/28/18 at 7:09 pm

I really can't see it making a comeback. I'd much rather have the 2020's have its own unique popular music genre. Like how Trap Rap is popular in the 2010's.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/28/18 at 7:34 pm

I'd love to see gangster rap get back to its roots. Rapping about packing heat, smoking blunts, chugging 40's and putting the smack down on THOTS when they get out of line.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/01/18 at 6:02 am

I hope not!

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/01/18 at 10:13 am

It seems as if it will but I don't want it to. Gangsta rap is too negative.

There will never be another gangsta rapper like 50 Cent. He made it positive.

Written By: Milk on 03/01/18 at 10:48 am

It seems as if it will but I don't want it to. Gangsta rap is too negative.

There will never be another gangsta rapper like 50 Cent. He made it positive.

As if the rap right now is any better

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/01/18 at 3:19 pm

Not 100% exactly, Gangsta Rap's content extends to gang violence and illegal activities, while Trap Rap sticks to mostly just drugs and money.
Gangsta Rap is also usually more aggressive and features heavy basslines, while Trap Rap is usually slower paced, more focused on being gritty and features hi-hats instead.

A good example of modern Gangsta Rap:
7iJDXIOk0bg

A good example of Trap Rap:
7cDYYvOhKwg
I appreciate the explanation between the two, but I don't honestly see a difference. Drugs and money are just as mentioned much in Gangsta rap as Trap and some of the latter also has heavy bassline songs. I have additionally listened to tons of songs from both sub-genres as well as their perspective eras. The content is pretty much similar.

Check for new replies or respond here...