inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What will be the big political stories of the 2020s?

Written By: Milk on 02/27/18 at 11:53 am

In the 2010s it was the lgtb movement.

Subject: Re: What will be the big political stories of the 2020s?

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/27/18 at 5:46 pm

In the 2010s it was the lgtb movement.

I beg to differ.  The LGTB movement was (and is) important, but 6 years of Obama was, IMO and in the long run, more so, especially because of Obamacare.  There were other things as well.

As to 2020?  Your guess is as good as mine.  Cyber war with Russia?  A cure for cancer?  A colony on Mars? That is if we get there

Written By: bchris02 on 02/28/18 at 10:49 am

I beg to differ.  The LGTB movement was (and is) important, but 6 years of Obama was, IMO and in the long run, more so, especially because of Obamacare.  There were other things as well.

As to 2020?  Your guess is as good as mine.  Cyber war with Russia?  A cure for cancer?  A colony on Mars? That is if we get there

LGBT rights was a huge theme of the Obama years, but I think the overall story is larger than that.  The 2010s have been about social justice, be it LGBT rights or movements like Black Lives Matter or #MeToo or ending the war on drugs.  It started as a heavily progressive decade and looks to be ending as a very backwards, reactionary conservative one because we had too much progress to quickly and the 50+ crowd simply couldn't handle it.

Written By: duenas8 on 02/28/18 at 11:21 pm

Anti-NRA legislation, more Donald Trump news and “terrorism” together with Russia-North Korea relationships will get much worse

Written By: ofkx on 03/01/18 at 2:15 pm

Anti-NRA legislation, more Donald Trump news and “terrorism” together with Russia-North Korea relationships will get much worse

That is IF Trump makes it past his first term, which is very unlikely.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/01/18 at 2:26 pm

Personally, I think that we enjoyed so much from the 1850's to the 2000's (decade), that the 21st century, and maybe even part of the 22nd, will be us picking up the pieces. Like a hangover from the 19th and 20th centuries.

Check for new replies or respond here...