inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is "The Loud House" an accurate depiction of (core) Generation Z?

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 02/28/18 at 6:50 pm

Now before we go on with this subject, I first want to get a few things out of the way.
I myself have never actually watched an episode of this cartoon, being that I haven't watched kids cartoons in nearly a decade now. The way this show was first brought to my attention was from a video from YouTube user Benthelooney, and everything else I know about this show I looked up on Wikipedia.

I felt what little I do know about this cartoon would make for an interesting topic.
To me, it seems that The Loud House, particularly Lincoln Loud's character, is a depiction of Generation Z.
Core Generation Z, that is. Not Early Z, and definitely not Y/Z cusps like myself born in the mid-late 90s.
If this show is set in 2016 (being that's the year it aired), that would make Lincoln born in 2005, that's pretty much the ultimate Gen Z birthyear, being that the earliest of the Y/Z cusp range is usually 1995, and the latest of the Z/Alpha cusp range would be around 2015, putting 2005 smack dab in the middle.
Most of his sisters would generally be Gen Z as well, with Lori and Leni being in the Y/Z cusp range at they'd be born in 1999 and 2000, and with all his little sisters with the exception of Lucy being in the Z/Alpha cusp range as they'd be born in 2010-2015.

But here's what I find particularly interesting; Clyde's gay parents, and the overall normalization of homosexuality on that show.
Slowpoke once said on another post that his sister born in 2005 has a homosexual friend whom doesn't get picked on.
Obviously, that's a huge contrast from what those in Generation Y and the Y/Z cusp range would've experienced regarding the treatment of homosexuals.
Back when I was in middle school in 2009-2012, words like "gay", "f@ggot", and "queer" were thrown around aimlessly, hell even I'm guilty of having partaken in such behavior. If someone was homosexual, they wouldn't in their right mind ever admit it to anyone, for fear they'd get their ass kicked.
The gay adoptive parents is especially a huge divide. I live in a purple-turning-blue state (Colorado), but even then, I've looked up almost every person I've attended high school with on Facebook, from the Class of 2013 to the Class of 2019, and absolutely none of them, not a single one, has gay adoptive parents.

I want to get your thoughts on opinions on this subject.

Subject: Re: Is "The Loud House" an accurate depiction of (core) Generation Z?

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/28/18 at 6:58 pm

Yeah, even as someone who is in early generation Z and still in elementary from 2009-2012, I remember when being gay was seen as bad and people would make fun of you for it. I have an older sister born in late 1996 making her the Y/Z Cusp, and she had friends in HS that were gay and I remember when I saw them get picked on for that. Nowadays, people don't really care that much anymore.
I personally never watched that show though.

Subject: Re: Is "The Loud House" an accurate depiction of (core) Generation Z?

Written By: Wobo on 03/01/18 at 2:59 am

Now before we go on with this subject, I first want to get a few things out of the way.
I myself have never actually watched an episode of this cartoon, being that I haven't watched kids cartoons in nearly a decade now. The way this show was first brought to my attention was from a video from YouTube user Benthelooney, and everything else I know about this show I looked up on Wikipedia.

I felt what little I do know about this cartoon would make for an interesting topic.
To me, it seems that The Loud House, particularly Lincoln Loud's character, is a depiction of Generation Z.
Core Generation Z, that is. Not Early Z, and definitely not Y/Z cusps like myself born in the mid-late 90s.
If this show is set in 2016 (being that's the year it aired), that would make Lincoln born in 2005, that's pretty much the ultimate Gen Z birthyear, being that the earliest of the Y/Z cusp range is usually 1995, and the latest of the Z/Alpha cusp range would be around 2015, putting 2005 smack dab in the middle.
Most of his sisters would generally be Gen Z as well, with Lori and Leni being in the Y/Z cusp range at they'd be born in 1999 and 2000, and with all his little sisters with the exception of Lucy being in the Z/Alpha cusp range as they'd be born in 2010-2015.

But here's what I find particularly interesting; Clyde's gay parents, and the overall normalization of homosexuality on that show.
Slowpoke once said on another post that his sister born in 2005 has a homosexual friend whom doesn't get picked on.
Obviously, that's a huge contrast from what those in Generation Y and the Y/Z cusp range would've experienced regarding the treatment of homosexuals.
Back when I was in middle school in 2009-2012, words like "gay", "f@ggot", and "queer" were thrown around aimlessly, hell even I'm guilty of having partaken in such behavior. If someone was homosexual, they wouldn't in their right mind ever admit it to anyone, for fear they'd get their ass kicked.
The gay adoptive parents is especially a huge divide. I live in a purple-turning-blue state (Colorado), but even then, I've looked up almost every person I've attended high school with on Facebook, from the Class of 2013 to the Class of 2019, and absolutely none of them, not a single one, has gay adoptive parents.

I want to get your thoughts on opinions on this subject.

I know Benthelooney lol.

Check for new replies or respond here...