inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The majority of the 2010s ended up being so bland and sterile

Written By: John Titor on 03/02/18 at 8:16 pm

Where the 2000s were tacky and colorful, the 2010s seemed very bland and drab and grey atleast the  first 2 eras of the 2010s.
We are slowly getting out if it now. I feel like the 2010s started with so much optimism despite a crappy economy that we were in
at the time and over time with shootings, terror attacks, all these problems but a damper on the decade. Even most music from 2012-2016
was bland as hell, the movies were kind of good, tv got a little better but it was still missing something. Even with the flat logos and everything
being so drab.

anyone agree?

Subject: Re: The majority of the 2010s ended up being so bland and sterile

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/02/18 at 8:17 pm

That's called an opinion.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/02/18 at 9:04 pm

I agree for the most part. I think the very early 2010s felt more optimistic because we had a new president. 2012 seems to be the year that things began feeling less optimistic.

I 100% agree with you that the constant airing of shootings, terrorist attacks, divisive politics, etc on the news truly put a damper on this decade. I've never felt more dreadful. It's probably because most of these events took place on our own soil instead of overseas. Additionally, I think Americans began to realize that these tragedies could happen to anyone. Many of us no longer perceive mass shootings as isolated events that just happened to take the lives of a few unlucky people.

I think overall the culture of the very early 2010s was enjoyable. The clothes, the music  (if you liked it), and even internet culture was very bright and upbeat. It's probably become bland because there have been no drastic changes in pop culture since the beginning of this decade and things are getting stale now. Current internet culture has become so massive and commerialized that some of us are burning out from it. Also the huge influx of rebooted movies and tv shows also adds to the "blandness" of this decade. I'm not sure about original movies (those that aren't reboots) but I do enjoy some tv shows from this decade.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/02/18 at 9:44 pm

I agree for the most part. I think the very early 2010s felt more optimistic because we had a new president. 2012 seems to be the year that things began feeling less optimistic.

I 100% agree with you that the constant airing of shootings, terrorist attacks, divisive politics, etc on the news truly put a damper on this decade. I've never felt more dreadful. It's probably because most of these events took place on our own soil instead of overseas. Additionally, I think Americans began to realize that these tragedies could happen to anyone. Many of us no longer perceive mass shootings as isolated events that just happened to take the lives of a few unlucky people.

I think overall the culture of the very early 2010s was enjoyable. The clothes, the music  (if you liked it), and even internet culture was very bright and upbeat. It's probably become bland because there have been no drastic changes in pop culture since the beginning of this decade and things are getting stale now. Current internet culture has become so massive and commerialized that some of us are burning out from it. Also the huge influx of rebooted movies and tv shows also adds to the "blandness" of this decade. I'm not sure about original movies (those that aren't reboots) but I do enjoy some tv shows from this decade.

I noticed that 2008 to 2011 was kind of colorful. The culture was more upbeat!  :o

Written By: 80sfan on 03/02/18 at 9:48 pm

Where the 2000s were tacky and colorful, the 2010s seemed very bland and drab and grey atleast the  first 2 eras of the 2010s.
We are slowly getting out if it now. I feel like the 2010s started with so much optimism despite a crappy economy that we were in
at the time and over time with shootings, terror attacks, all these problems but a damper on the decade. Even most music from 2012-2016
was bland as hell, the movies were kind of good, tv got a little better but it was still missing something. Even with the flat logos and everything
being so drab.

anyone agree?

Most people here seem to think that 2016 was the darkest year of this decade. But for me, it was 2012. The Aurora Colorado shooting and the Sandy Hook shooting just made 2012 out to be a very dark year, IMO.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/02/18 at 9:50 pm

So true. I blame the internet. Culture is no longer unique because everyone can just find what they like online. That's why it's so bland and sterile and I believe the same will happen to all future decades unless someone decides to take it back to having some good non-online culture but I doubt it. It really sucked, the 2000s was the last decade that had an actual identity. The 2010s was all about social media culture and what is good on the internet and the culture outside of that was empty.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/02/18 at 9:51 pm

Most people here seem to think that 2016 was the darkest year of this decade. But for me, it was 2012. The Aurora Colorado shooting and the Sandy Hook shooting just made 2012 out to be a very dark year, IMO.

I agree 2012 was the darkest year for me too.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/02/18 at 9:56 pm

So true. I blame the internet. Culture is no longer unique because everyone can just find what they like online. That's why it's so bland and sterile and I believe the same will happen to all future decades unless someone decides to take it back to having some good non-online culture but I doubt it. It really sucked, the 2000s was the last decade that had an actual identity. The 2010s was all about social media culture and what is good on the internet and the culture outside of that was empty.

Depends on the angle you look at. You could make the argument that culture is 'too unique' because there are some things that aren't unified the past 8 years. And that everyone has their own unique 'individual culture' now. Maybe small cultures within one culture.

I agree with John Titor, that there is some charisma that is missing in culture this decade (and the 00's too).

Written By: Slim95 on 03/02/18 at 10:04 pm

Depends on the angle you look at. You could make the argument that culture is 'too unique' because there are some things that aren't unified the past 8 years. And that everyone has their own unique 'individual culture' now. Maybe small cultures within one culture.

I agree with John Titor, that there is some charisma that is missing in culture this decade (and the 00's too).

Yeah but I don't like that personally, I'd rather have more unified pop culture. I think the 2000s was when things started going downhill but it was still good overall especially compared to the 2010s.

Written By: 2001 on 03/02/18 at 10:16 pm

Only boring people get bored, lol.

I had fun in the 2010s.

Written By: kingofthetemple on 03/02/18 at 11:46 pm

In general the 2010s culture is really weird to me and kind of basic and I'd say the main reason pop culture is more basic now is because most of pop culture is centered toward the internet.Not to mention 75% of movies are reboots or remakes hendering more fresh movie ideas that are actually good.Also that music now seems to be more about how much money the industry can generate than actuall talent and its been like that with music since at least 2004 but it hit and all time high in the 2010s for plastic music.Also mainstream music is so one sided now its feels like is so basic edm and trap two bad and non entertaining music genres in my opinion.Also PC culture really henders creativity.TV shows aren't as variety either or are on netflix instead of network tv and cable.To me the 2010s started of not that bad but by 2012-2017 things have been boring for pop culture and instead got invested by all this social media which isn't bad but is a big reason why to me pop culture is finished for now,hopefully it will resserect in the 2020s.And I also forgot to mention big pop stars aren't actually big and tbh gaga was the last real big pop star with controversy so yeah overall most the 10s are  a borefest😋Except the technology. which is the only actually changing excitement of the 2010s.This decade is like the 80s when it comes to  cheesy music but even the 80s destroy the 2010s because at least they had music power houses to balance out and some of the greatest songs are from the 80s the 2010s  singers seem mediocre and plain compared to 80s singers so yeah as of now the only thing better about the 10s that we got advantage over any previous decade is the tech
But other than that movie,pop culture,music,shows wise 90s,80s,70s and 00s win.

I had fun in the 2010s.

Written By: ofkx on 03/03/18 at 3:09 am

I disagree. The 2010s, especially the early part of the decade, have been very colorful and (sometimes annoyingly) upbeat. This is in constrast to the 90s, which were pretty sad with the whole Nirvana amd Nirvana sounding songs.

Written By: prodanny288 on 03/03/18 at 6:27 am

2012 and 2014 felt very bland to me.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/03/18 at 7:28 am

2012 and 2014 felt very bland to me.

I'm thinking 2012 was one of the most bland years of this decade...

Written By: Wobo on 03/03/18 at 8:19 am

Anything that is pre-1940s is bland and stale. Imo

Written By: Wobo on 03/03/18 at 8:20 am

Anyway, 2010s seem more colorful.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/03/18 at 12:14 pm

I'm thinking 2012 was one of the most bland years of this decade...

I agree. 2012 was the most boring and bland year of the 2010s.

Written By: unicornic on 03/03/18 at 12:23 pm

The most blandest year of the 2010s imo was 2014

Written By: 2001 on 03/03/18 at 1:06 pm

I don't think any year of the 2010s was uneventful and not colourful.

There's no way the 2000s are more colourful than the 2010s lol, OP made that up.

Written By: John Titor on 03/03/18 at 1:21 pm

I had fun in the 2010s.

I travel for a living

Written By: 2001 on 03/03/18 at 1:39 pm

I travel for a living

And I live to travel  ;) ;D

Written By: AndrewShannon on 03/03/18 at 4:14 pm

Anything that is pre-1940s is bland and stale. Imo

The late middle ages would disagree.

http://www.couturemayah.info/kuvat/wintergown2.2.jpg
http://www.globaleffects.com/C_pages/Rental/Wardrobe/Armor/Period/CompleteSuit/European/Splintedh.JPG
http://parisadele.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Half-Timbered-House-Francois-Miron.jpg
https://youtu.be/OxLBWE2BSog

I have no idea what people are talking about 2010s being "colorful". Yeah, half the colors are pastels, but the other half are black, cool grey, puke green, light brown etc. It all is bland and sterile, so minimalist, so modernist, but, as always with the pastel, underneath that veil is a cold, black heart that unmasks this decade of "hope", "love" and "change". The pastel-loving, upbeat me me me preppy outside, and the uncaring, hateful and spiteful hipster inside; both are so ugly in their shallowness and disrespect for others while demanding respect themselves; their hypocrisy. The bright color is only half and all act to hide the heart. I'd say this decade is one of cold, stale grey with light brown and drab green over any other colors; that middling ground of both extremes, and shallow itself in its mediocrity.

The only good I can say is that this decade has provided fertile breeding ground for learning about fundamental, yet harsh, truths about humanity and those you consider close to you.

Written By: Wobo on 03/03/18 at 4:18 pm

http://www.globaleffects.com/C_pages/Rental/Wardrobe/Armor/Period/CompleteSuit/European/Splintedh.JPG
http://parisadele.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Half-Timbered-House-Francois-Miron.jpg

I have no idea what people are talking about 2010s being "colorful". Yeah, half the colors are pastels, but the other half are black, cool grey, puke green, light brown etc. It all is bland and sterile, so minimalist, so modernist, but, as always with the pastel, underneath that veil is a cold, black heart that unmasks this decade of "hope", "love" and "change". The pastel-loving, upbeat me me me preppy outside, and the uncaring, hateful and spiteful hipster inside; both are so ugly in their shallowness and disrespect for others while demanding respect themselves; their hypocrisy. The bright color is only half and all act to hide the heart. I'd say this decade is one of cold, stale grey with light brown and drab green over any other colors; that middling ground of both extremes, and shallow itself in its mediocrity.

The only good I can say is that this decade has provided fertile breeding ground for learning about fundamental, yet harsh, truths about humanity and those you consider close to you.

Most people wouldn't find any thing culturally big happening in pre 1940s only decade that is well known is only 1920s and when i say bland and stale I meant that because the great depression happened in the 30s and WW1 happened in the 1910s and alot endless of wars happened between empires then and racism was still a thing.

I'd still disagree with the 2010s being grey and dirty.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/03/18 at 5:41 pm

The only pre-1950's eras I like were the 1890's and 1930's.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/03/18 at 5:52 pm

There is no depth to the 2010s. Everything is so minimalist and boring. The flat colourful UI design that has been popular since 2009 is terrible.

Written By: 2001 on 03/03/18 at 6:07 pm

You're confusing 2018 for the rest of the decade. We're at the tail end of the decade and trends that are in right now aren't very representative imo.

2010-2013 had a lot of neon and people wore crimson-coloured jeans, that's 40% of the decade right there. 2014-2016 were also very colourful with the lumberjack and skater trend. Most the decade was very colourful.

Written By: Wobo on 03/03/18 at 6:36 pm

There is no depth to the 2010s. Everything is so minimalist and boring. The flat colourful UI design that has been popular since 2009 is terrible.

meh  :P

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/03/18 at 6:45 pm

The 2010's were/are anything but bland. We have...

Fukushima

Ke$ha

Pitbull

Miley Cyrus's nude phase

Ke$ha

...Just to name a few highlights...

Written By: unicornic on 03/03/18 at 6:47 pm

I like the 2010s but 2014 was a hit or miss for me. There were some really good songs but then there were others that were either bland or  sounded the same

Written By: 2001 on 03/03/18 at 7:39 pm

The 2010's were/are anything but bland. We have...

Fukushima

Ke$ha

Pitbull

Miley Cyrus's nude phase

Ke$ha

...Just to name a few highlights...

You forgot to mention Kesha without the dollar sign.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/03/18 at 7:58 pm

You forgot to mention Kesha without the dollar sign.

In my mind, Ke$ha will ALWAYS have a dollar sign.  :-*

Written By: AndrewShannon on 03/04/18 at 3:37 am

Most people wouldn't find any thing culturally big happening in pre 1940s only decade that is well known is only 1920s and when i say bland and stale I meant that because the great depression happened in the 30s and WW1 happened in the 1910s and alot endless of wars happened between empires then and racism was still a thing.

I'd still disagree with the 2010s being grey and dirty.

I was partially joking.

I never said it was dirty, opposite in fact, just "colorful" in a dull, soulless way. Some hipsters are dirty, but that's because they pretend to be homeless for money until their moms call them for supper and refuse to bathe because they believe it'd slightly annoy their "toxicly masculine" dads.

You're confusing 2018 for the rest of the decade. We're at the tail end of the decade and trends that are in right now aren't very representative imo.

2010-2013 had a lot of neon and people wore crimson-coloured jeans, that's 40% of the decade right there. 2014-2016 were also very colourful with the lumberjack and skater trend. Most the decade was very colourful.

No, I think it is more so now, I never saw much bold colors and warm earth tones until just last year. I never saw neon except the first year of this decade and that was it; just holdovers of the scene and early hipster era, and died immediately as I left 7th grade to be replaced by preppy. I also said about PASTEL colors being half with the drab colors. I don't consider them that colorful but most people do.

It is unsaturated and quite bland shades of color tho, and 2012-2016 was entirely that with drab colors in very minimalist styles, and those things combined aren't very striking; bland. Only recently has anything been interesting to look at, or if it has it's been ugly (someone who stands out to me was this hipster with a huge drab green jacket in African patterns, bandaged glasses and matted dreads, and while that's interesting I don't consider it "beautiful" or "colorful"). Colorful to me is that it isn't bland, and that's all I've seen since 2012 until just a year ago.

Written By: APDCR1990 on 03/07/18 at 5:10 pm

I do agree that the changes in pop culture have slowed down over time.

For example:
1990-2000: A big difference in pop culture
2000-2010: A difference in pop culture
2010-today: Marginal difference (technology more-so with smartphones becoming fully mainstream circa 2011-2012).

I don't think the 00's had much of an identity, with the exception of 2004-2006 (peak of Myspace, pop punk, crunk, and controversy over Iraq War).

Written By: ofkx on 03/07/18 at 5:53 pm

I do agree that the changes in pop culture have slowed down over time.

For example:
1990-2000: A big difference in pop culture
2000-2010: A difference in pop culture
2010-today: Marginal difference (technology more-so with smartphones becoming fully mainstream circa 2011-2012).

I don't think the 00's had much of an identity, with the exception of 2004-2006 (peak of Myspace, pop punk, crunk, and controversy over Iraq War).

I disagree. I don't think you remember 2010. It was a VERY different time than now, about as different as 2000 was from 1990

Written By: Slim95 on 03/07/18 at 6:11 pm

I disagree. I don't think you remember 2010. It was a VERY different time than now, about as different as 2000 was from 1990

It wasn't anywhere near as different than 1990 was to 2000 and 2000 was to 2010. There are differences but they are minimal compared to previous decades and mainly technological changes. The culture of 2010 was not drastically different to the culture of today, it is similar.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/07/18 at 6:41 pm

wtf

Written By: bchris02 on 03/07/18 at 6:49 pm

I don't agree with Slim95 that 2018 is identical to 2010 and I actually think there are substantial differences between 2010 and today, but few decades see the kind of change we saw between 1990 and 2000.  The only other decade I can think of that experienced that degree of transformation was the 1960s.  There are still some similarities between 2010 and 2018.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/07/18 at 6:53 pm

I don't agree with Slim95 that 2018 is identical to 2010 and I actually think there are substantial differences between 2010 and today, but few decades see the kind of change we saw between 1990 and 2000.  The only other decade I can think of that experienced that degree of transformation was the 1960s.  There are still some similarities between 2010 and 2018.

I agree. I personally think the culture of 2010 is actually very different, especially when it comes to music. I mean, can you imagine something like "All I do is win" or "California Gurls" being released in 2018?

Written By: Slim95 on 03/07/18 at 7:02 pm

I don't agree with Slim95 that 2018 is identical to 2010

I never once said it was identical. In fact I do believe 2010 can be considered dated now. But it is still similar in many ways too.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/07/18 at 7:23 pm

Everyone here always seems to constantly shart on the 2010s, but honestly the only thing I dislike about this decade (aside from the politics, obviously) is the movies.

Written By: APDCR1990 on 03/07/18 at 11:39 pm

I turned 20 in 2010 and was in the middle of college, so I remember it clearly. It definitely feels "dated" now, but the change is nowhere near as drastic as it was from 1990-2000 (or 1990-1998 to be precise). There are more songs from 2010 that can easily be released today compared to releasing one from 1990 in 2000. Can you imagine "King of Wishful Thinking" or "Escapade" being released in 2000? Or people wearing late 80s/early 90s fashion in 2000? Heck no. Smartphones and all of the apps that have been developed since 2010 had a much greater impact than changes in music or fashion, IMO. 

Written By: Slim95 on 03/07/18 at 11:41 pm

I turned 20 in 2010 and was in the middle of college, so I remember it clearly. It definitely feels "dated" now, but the change is nowhere near as drastic as it was from 1990-2000 (or 1990-1998 to be precise). There are more songs from 2010 that can easily be released today compared to releasing one from 1990 in 2000. Can you imagine "King of Wishful Thinking" or "Escapade" being released in 2000? Or people wearing late 80s/early 90s fashion in 2000? Heck no. Smartphones and all of the apps that have been developed since 2010 had a much greater impact than changes in music or fashion, IMO.

Yeah 1990 to 1999 was one of the most changeful periods ever. Having the internet compared to not having it is huge. It's not even comparable to 2010 to 2019, the changes of the 1990s were very drastic.

Written By: APDCR1990 on 03/07/18 at 11:54 pm

Yeah 1990 to 1999 was one of the most changeful periods ever. Having the internet compared to not having it is huge. It's not even comparable to 2010 to 2019, the changes of the 1990s were very drastic.

Yep. The technological change was huge, not to mention the music and the fashion! The Soviet Union was still on the map in 1990.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 03/08/18 at 1:30 am

I agree. I personally think the culture of 2010 is actually very different, especially when it comes to music. I mean, can you imagine something like "All I do is win" or "California Gurls" being released in 2018?

There's a lot more to it than different sounding songs, like yeah they do sound different today. But Imo, the general culture of today is a lot closer to 2010 than 1990 was to 2000 and also 2000 was to 2010.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/08/18 at 1:45 am

There's a lot more to it than different sounding songs, like yeah they do sound different today. But Imo, the general culture of today is a lot closer to 2010 than 1990 was to 2000 and also 2000 was to 2010.

I agree.

Check for new replies or respond here...