inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is 23 too young to get nostalgic?

Written By: Star Struck on 03/06/18 at 7:51 pm

Hi guys! I have a quick question. Is 23 too young to get nostalgic? I'm asking because most of my friends who are 22-25 are getting married or talking about marriage, got their college degrees, and working in their career jobs. Me, I'm 23, working 2 jobs and just graduated college last year. Not in a relationship though. Hearing all these stories from my friends made me think how fast times fly by. We talked about how it just felt like we turned 18 yesterday. Now, we're almost halfway through our 20s! We talked about our childhood and teenage years like we were in our 30s or 40s lol I feel like 23 is still kind of young to get nostalgic though. Is it? Or is it the right time? Most of my friends at work (who are 16-18) says it's the right age to get nostalgic. What do you guys think?

Subject: Re: Is 23 too young to get nostalgic?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/06/18 at 8:00 pm

Hi guys! I have a quick question. Is 23 too young to get nostalgic? I'm asking because most of my friends who are 22-25 are getting married or talking about marriage, got their college degrees, and working in their career jobs. Me, I'm 23, working 2 jobs and just graduated college last year. Not in a relationship though. Hearing all these stories from my friends made me think how fast times fly by. We talked about how it just felt like we turned 18 yesterday. Now, we're almost halfway through our 20s! We talked about our childhood and teenage years like we were in our 30s or 40s lol I feel like 23 is still kind of young to get nostalgic though. Is it? Or is it the right time? Most of my friends at work (who are 16-18) says it's the right age to get nostalgic. What do you guys think?

Nope.

Also, watch this video that I posted in another thread:
iUnobJp3eH0

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/06/18 at 8:08 pm

Not at all. I remember hanging out with my childhood friends when we were in our early 20s and we'd talk about things that happened in our neighborhood and town when we were kids.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/06/18 at 8:12 pm

Not at all. I remember hanging out with my childhood friends when we were in our early 20s and we'd talk about things that happened in our neighborhood and town when we were kids.

Yeah, I'm 18 and me and my friends do that. We also talk about our favorite shows from when we were growing up.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/06/18 at 8:26 pm

Yeah, I'm 18 and me and my friends do that. We also talk about our favorite shows from when we were growing up.

Now we talk about things that happened in our 20s and 30s.  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/06/18 at 8:36 pm

Now we talk about things that happened in our 20s and 30s.  ;D

Yeah, I'll be doing the same thing when I'm 47 ;D.

Fortunately for me, I don't turn 47 years old for another 28 years :P.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/06/18 at 9:04 pm

Yeah, I'll be doing the same thing when I'm 47 ;D.

Fortunately for me, I don't turn 47 years old for another 28 years :P.

And I'll be 65. Hopefully we'll still be here then, telling the 2020s kids to get off our lawns.  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/06/18 at 9:15 pm

And I'll be 65. Hopefully we'll still be here then, telling the 2020s kids to get off our lawns.  ;D

You de-aged yourself by a decade ;D.

I turn 47 in 2046. You were born in 1970, so in 2046...you'll turn 76 ;D.

However, yes, we'll both tell 2020s kids to get off our lawns ;D.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/06/18 at 9:17 pm

Crap, I did the math wrong.

I'm really gonna be a cranky old bastard then.  :D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/06/18 at 9:20 pm

Crap, I did the math wrong.

I'm really gonna be a cranky old bastard then.  :D

Try to be the cool old bastard instead :D
https://media.giphy.com/media/1Qdp4trljSkY8/giphy.gif

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/06/18 at 9:26 pm

Try to be the cool old bastard instead :D
https://media.giphy.com/media/1Qdp4trljSkY8/giphy.gif

Another thing they don't tell you is, being a cranky old curmudgeon is actually kind of fun. ;)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/06/18 at 9:57 pm

Another thing they don't tell you is, being a cranky old curmudgeon is actually kind of fun. ;)

....until you get a heart attack after cursing at that 8 year old boy who stepped on your lawn :-X :-X :(.

Written By: 2001 on 03/06/18 at 10:01 pm

No way. I was 23 when Pokémon Go came out. Enough said.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/06/18 at 10:14 pm

....until you get a heart attack after cursing at that 8 year old boy who stepped on your lawn :-X :-X :(.

Nah, I know better than to be too cranky. If you're just cranky enough then you're the cool old man that tells dirty jokes to the neighborhood teenagers. If you're too cranky then you end up being that one guy on the block whose house gets egged all the time.  :D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/06/18 at 10:20 pm

Nah, I know better than to be too cranky. If you're just cranky enough then you're the cool old man that tells dirty jokes to the neighborhood teenagers. If you're too cranky then you end up being that one guy on the block whose house gets egged all the time.  :D

I guess you've got it covered! ;D

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/07/18 at 9:22 am

I'd say you're still in the "look how far we've come phase" as opposed to "remember how simple things used to be phase" that people my age (33) and older are starting to go through. But you're still old enough to notice how different your childhood is compared to today's, when the Internet was mostly just text and pictures as opposed to multimedia like Gen Z and younger have experienced. I started to get nostalgic for Ninja Turtles about a decade ago and had a big second wave for a few years, before settling back again, and for you, that would mean G1/G2 Pokemon and Silver Age Nick and Powerhouse/City-era CN. I myself when I was 23 was posting my nostalgic thoughts on this very board though, and its normal.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/07/18 at 9:51 am

Not at all dude. I started getting nostalgic of my childhood around when I was 18/19 years old myself. Granted the levels of nostalgia one feels for their childhood increases throughout the years, before peaking somewhere in one's 30s or 40s, before going downhill.

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/07/18 at 10:25 am

Nope. I was already nostalgic for my childhood when I was like 14.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/07/18 at 10:38 am

I've always been a nostalgic person.  However, there are certain times/eras I am more nostalgic for than others.

I am pretty nostalgic for the late '00s/early '10s.  I also get nostalgic for the mid '90s and early 2000s.  I am less nostalgic for the late '90s (1998/99) or the mid 2000s (2004-06).  I don't see myself being nostalgic for the mid '10s either but I think I will be nostalgic for 2017 in a few years.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/07/18 at 12:39 pm

You're never really "too young" to be nostalgic. You can be nostalgic for anything that happened in the past. Yes, it could be something that happened a week ago or last month. Its just a lot of people tend to be nostalgic for something from a long time ago.

Just don't let nostalgia take over your everyday life. It's best to live in the present and see what the future will hold.

Written By: Howard on 03/07/18 at 2:50 pm

not all the time.

Written By: Howard on 03/07/18 at 2:52 pm

I would probably wait until you get into your 40's.

Written By: Star Struck on 03/07/18 at 2:55 pm

I'd say you're still in the "look how far we've come phase" as opposed to "remember how simple things used to be phase" that people my age (33) and older are starting to go through. But you're still old enough to notice how different your childhood is compared to today's, when the Internet was mostly just text and pictures as opposed to multimedia like Gen Z and younger have experienced. I started to get nostalgic for Ninja Turtles about a decade ago and had a big second wave for a few years, before settling back again, and for you, that would mean G1/G2 Pokemon and Silver Age Nick and Powerhouse/City-era CN. I myself when I was 23 was posting my nostalgic thoughts on this very board though, and its normal.

Oh my god those were all my childhood! I remember my mom would let all my friends sleep over every Friday night so we could catch our favorite cartoons on Cartoon Cartoon Fridays and waking up the next morning to Kids WB to catch new episodes of Pokemon and YuGiOh. Speaking of which, I remember we used to collect and trade Pokemon and YuGiOh cards (up to 3rd and 1st gen only respectively). Oops, got a little nostalgic. Sorry! I usually don't get nostalgic to be honest lol

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/07/18 at 3:01 pm

Oh my god those were all my childhood! I remember my mom would let all my friends sleep over every Friday night so we could catch our favorite cartoons on Cartoon Cartoon Fridays and waking up the next morning to Kids WB to catch new episodes of Pokemon and YuGiOh. Speaking of which, I remember we used to collect and trade Pokemon and YuGiOh cards (up to 3rd and 1st gen only respectively). Oops, got a little nostalgic. Sorry! I usually don't get nostalgic to be honest lol

This is what you're talking? There's nothing wrong with being nostalgic over your childhood.

Written By: Wobo on 03/07/18 at 3:09 pm

You're never really "too young" to be nostalgic. You can be nostalgic for anything that happened in the past. Yes, it could be something that happened a week ago or last month. Its just a lot of people tend to be nostalgic for something from a long time ago.

Just don't let nostalgia take over your everyday life. It's best to live in the present and see what the future will hold.

Sadly some people don't do that some guy name "2000s fan" on YouTube only uses a 240p camera which looks like it was recorded from 2007 instead of using a high quality camera like people use as of today and he also uses a Early 2000s computer I commented on his video saying why does his video and computer look like it was straight out of 2007 he told me 2010s trends are dumb and he only uses mid 2000s digital cameras he also said analog is for hipster and he also said that HD/widescreen is bad.
And he's a total nostalgiatard which is sad.

Written By: Wobo on 03/07/18 at 3:11 pm

I'll be like "kids these days" to the 2020s kids lol.

Written By: 2001 on 03/07/18 at 3:17 pm

I think there's a difference between reminiscing and nostalgia. It's hard to he nostalgic for last week. Nostalgia is more like "I want it to be like it was back then, even if just for a moment" and not just "that was fun". :P

Check for new replies or respond here...