inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think the music artist today will last into the mid 2020s?

Written By: kingofthetemple on 03/07/18 at 11:05 am

Just thinking will most the artist last into 2020s culture personally I really dont think so except Rhianna and taylor swift those are the only stars of now I can see lasting into anywhere past 2021.I really dont see artist like cardi b,Ed sheran,alessia cara or Halsey lasting past 2021 I mean I dont listen to those artist anyway but I'm just thinking I feel most artist of now won't last past 2020-2021 and we already know gaga and Katy are finished so yeah :)

Thanks for answering gen,y,x,z!!!

Subject: Re: Do you think the music artist today will last into the mid 2020s?

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/07/18 at 12:28 pm

I don't think most will last into the 2020s. There are only a handful of artists with that type of longevity. Rihanna & TS are artists from the 2000s.The 2010s don't seem to be pushing out very many household names. 

But isn't TS falling off as well? I guess we will be able to really tell when her next album drops. Maybe Ed Sheeran and Kendrick will still be around. I hope Bruno sticks around.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/07/18 at 12:35 pm

Strongly doubt it. If anything we'll more than likely be getting a whole new generation of artists. The 2020's will belong to Generation Z so it wouldn't surprise me if today's artists that have been making music for years are completely irrelevant by then.

Written By: meesa on 03/07/18 at 12:40 pm

Just thinking will most the artist last into 2020s culture personally I really dont think so except Rhianna and taylor swift those are the only stars of now I can see lasting into anywhere past 2021.I really dont see artist like cardi b,Ed sheran,alessia cara or Halsey lasting past 2021 I mean I dont listen to those artist anyway but I'm just thinking I feel most artist of now won't last past 2020-2021 and we already know gaga and Katy are finished so yeah :)

Thanks for answering gen,y,x,z!!!

Artists today, just like any other time in history will survive into the new decade if they:

produce music that their audience wants to hear
Are open to reinvent themselves- to some degree- without losing their authenticity
Tour, tour, tour. Keep yourself in front of your fan base

It's a fine line that an artist must walk to stay with the times and yet still produce good music, and be authentic to themselves. Longevity depends upon so many factors.

It also depends upon the shifting tides of the industry itself and what people want. Shelf life is a very broad scope, because it depends upon how the artists defines their success in the first place. Does the artists definition of lasting success = being on the American Top 40 list? Because that is not where my thoughts are going. I am thinking more along the lines of artists that stand the test of time.

Written By: Howard on 03/07/18 at 2:48 pm

Well, just as long as they continue to put out music that their demographic wants to hear.

Written By: ofkx on 03/07/18 at 4:37 pm

Depends. I can see artists like Camilla Cabello and Khalid lasting well into the 2020s since they've only been popular since 2017. But artists like Taylor Swift and Katy Perry? I'm surprised they're still even a thing TODAY. Most of them are too mid 2010s to last into the 20s, if that makes sense.

Written By: Milk on 03/07/18 at 9:12 pm

No one really tbh unless a new artist debuts before 2020

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/08/18 at 11:02 pm

There's already a topic for this discussion. I asked the same thing a few months ago.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56856.0

Check for new replies or respond here...